Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neil DeGrasse Tyson View On Life Beyond Earth

Dr. Mirdad

I watched this video earlier and thought it was well worth sharing. This is the most reasonable explanation of why there can be a possibility of there being life beyond this planet earth. I was fascinated by his explanation in this video. What are your thoughts on it?

I new this would be worth diverting to my phone for.

What are my thoughts? That this is an excellent presentation. Bless DeGrasse Tyson.

What are my thoughts? That this is an excellent presentation. Bless DeGrasse Tyson.

He has the Nova show, and also plenty of pod cast interviews.... love it. :tu:

• Like 1

If you get BBC Iplayer in your neck of the woods, check out Professor Brian Cox's new series "What is life?"...on a slightly different tangent in the first episode, but well worth a watch, and the subsequent programmes in the series look really promising :tu:

• Like 3

I remember this video being posted on UM not too long ago. Quite a humbling and almost calming notion that the universe and us are all essentially one.

• Like 1

If you get BBC Iplayer in your neck of the woods, check out Professor Brian Cox's new series "What is life?"...on a slightly different tangent in the first episode, but well worth a watch, and the subsequent programmes in the series look really promising :tu:

Cheers!

Thank you for the heads up. I loved Morgan Freemans Through the wormhole, The Universe, The Solar System How the Universe works and The Grand Design. I reckon I am going to love this.

:tu:

:tu:

Cheers!

Thank you for the heads up. I loved Morgan Freemans Through the wormhole,

Cheers for that little gem Psyche, :tu: Id somehow missed the entire series but found its now available on youtube! So you have given me something NEW to watch!

Im starting with this one: "Are we alone"

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 1

I like Tyson also. He has a way of explaining things exactly using simple terms.

I do believe it is possible for aliens to visit Earth, after all we could go to other stars right now. It simply would take decades or centuries to get there. So, how can we know that aliens would not do that? How much is a century when viewed at the 100,000 years of human history? Or, even the last 10,000 years. Going to the stars is the only way to make sure humanity will survive the death of the Earth, and aliens would have the same issue.

Whether they are here... is a different story, because I've yet to see any evidence that would convince me that aliens are here now, or have been here in the past.

Aliens Real = Most Likely

Aliens Here = Unknown

Evidence = Zero

Cheers for that little gem Psyche, :tu: Id somehow missed the entire series but found its now available on youtube! So you have given me something NEW to watch!

Im starting with this one: "Are we alone"

Cheers mate, you are indeed in for a treat. I have the first two seasons. That one is a great start, I really enjoyed the series.

For a plug too, anyone who has not seen "The Elegant Universe" with Brian Greene really should, It is awesome.

200px-TheElegantUniverse.jpg

Churning through "When We Went To Space" ATM. It is excellent too. All about the Apollo missions.

Cheers mate, you are indeed in for a treat. I have the first two seasons. That one is a great start, I really enjoyed the series.

For a plug too, anyone who has not seen "The Elegant Universe" with Brian Greene really should, It is awesome.

200px-TheElegantUniverse.jpg

Churning through "When We Went To Space" ATM. It is excellent too. All about the Apollo missions.

You will Love "When we Went to Space psyche101 !

• Like 1

I like Tyson also. He has a way of explaining things exactly using simple terms.

I do believe it is possible for aliens to visit Earth, after all we could go to other stars right now. It simply would take decades or centuries to get there. So, how can we know that aliens would not do that? How much is a century when viewed at the 100,000 years of human history? Or, even the last 10,000 years. Going to the stars is the only way to make sure humanity will survive the death of the Earth, and aliens would have the same issue.

Whether they are here... is a different story, because I've yet to see any evidence that would convince me that aliens are here now, or have been here in the past.

Aliens Real = Most Likely

Aliens Here = Unknown

Evidence = Zero

I find that all proposed Aliens are advanced a bit suspicious. As you say, we can do it now. As you probably know, we could do it back in 1960. Project Orion remains to date, the best design for an Interstellar vehicle that actually is workable.

As such, I always wonder why ewe neve see a "wading" species. Someone either just past us, or someone who was not stopped by the Nuclear Test ban treaty, and went ahead. The little ridiculous sports models described, tens of feet across just do not have the space to travel space as we know it. Yet that is all we seem to hear about. Funky little sports ships from distant stars that make the interstellar tip as you or I might pop down to the corner shop. What we know of physics, and distance, just does not allow that.

If reports are genuine, and as frequent and varied as reported, it would seem unlikely that if taken at face value, that we are under such circumstances being visited by many species, not one. In fact, I think the ETH insists we are being "watched" by more than one species. So, why is every single alien far in advance of us? I wonder why we never see an Alien Orion, loud polluting, clunky, pulling into our solar system? Only shinny tiny little zippy crafts that snuggly fit 3-4 occupants and manage what physics say is impossible? And these things are purported to zip across to places like the Zeta system. The physics just do not stand up. There has to be a better answer, and not just a bigger invisible ship hiding in an asteroid field which seems to general cover all for these situations. That might seem find from a layman's point of view, but not one with a real interest and passion for astronomy, in fact, it seems rather ludicrous to suggest giant invisible mother ships are dotting our system and all we see are "scout ships", and yet again, that does not seem to be in line with recollections, some of which even boast travel on these tiny little saucers.

It just does not add up. None of it. I agree with your evaluation. Except I would replace #2 unknown with no proof to support such. I heard it said on an old UFO show last night that "what it lacks in physical proof, it makes up for in eyewitnesses". Indicating that the ETH'ers do feel that the plural of anecdote is data. Not a very scientific basis to begin any sort of investigation.

You will Love "When we Went to Space psyche101 !

Mate, I am loving it, and each episode starts with a silent nod to MID from me to recognise his role. ;)

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

And yet... the same people on here who say they agree with him.... in another breath will say that it is preposterous to think that an advanced alien civilisation could travel faster than light !!!!!!!!!!!!

I find that all proposed Aliens are advanced a bit suspicious. As you say, we can do it now. As you probably know, we could do it back in 1960. Project Orion remains to date, the best design for an Interstellar vehicle that actually is workable.

What we know of physics, and distance, just does not allow that.

If reports are genuine, and as frequent and varied as reported, it would seem unlikely that if taken at face value, that we are under such circumstances being visited by many species, not one. In fact, I think the ETH insists we are being "watched" by more than one species. So, why is every single alien far in advance of us? I wonder why we never see an Alien Orion, loud polluting, clunky, pulling into our solar system? Only shinny tiny little zippy crafts that snuggly fit 3-4 occupants and manage what physics say is impossible? And these things are purported to zip across to places like the Zeta system. The physics just do not stand up. There has to be a better answer, and not just a bigger invisible ship hiding in an asteroid field which seems to general cover all for these situations. That might seem find from a layman's point of view, but not one with a real interest and passion for astronomy, in fact, it seems rather ludicrous to suggest giant invisible mother ships are dotting our system and all we see are "scout ships", and yet again, that does not seem to be in line with recollections, some of which even boast travel on these tiny little saucers.

It just does not add up. None of it.

I have always thought that physics as we see it isn't complete. We can all agree that man hasn't mastered the concept of physics. I believe there are infinite amount of discoveries to be made when it comes to physics. If the human races is still on this planet a thousand years from now and hasnt destroyed itself, the concepts of physics and what would be known then, wouldnt be the same as now in comparison. Technology would be different. The things we might have deemed impossible might be in fact be possible and plausible. Then space travel from other star systems maybe in fact possible. Just look at the advancement we have made in a 100 years, Imagine what could be gained in a 1000 years? And imagine a civilization that is 2000 years more advance that the human race. Imagine the concept and discoveries that they would have in physics in comparison to ours. Imagine the technologies they would possess. Imagine the technology we would possess in 2000 years. Many things still remain to be uncovered in the universe and in physics.

Edited by Dr. Mrdad

I love listening to him speak. A great educator, the Carl Sagan of our time. I would to have say its 99% likely their is other life just in our galaxy, now that we know their is 100 billion planets just in the milky way galaxy. And we haven't even searched a speck of the universe for life. It's just a matter of time before we find life. And whether we like it or not, eventually we will find life that is more intelligent then us, so I hope curiosity doesn't kill the cat.

Neil explains things so nicely, kinda like how Carl Sagan used to explain things. If only we all had teachers like that eh?

I also like Michio Kaku. Him and Neil and awesome

• Like 1

And yet... the same people on here who say they agree with him.... in another breath will say that it is preposterous to think that an advanced alien civilisation could travel faster than light !!!!!!!!!!!!

No, they say the same he does, FTL is not possible in general relativity.

That is the bit that seems to stump you.

You lot think if you wire a toaster and a TV together that you can make an FTL spaceship. Sci Fi has lead you all into an unrealistic understanding of space.

I have always thought that physics as we see it isn't complete. We can all agree that man hasn't mastered the concept of physics. I believe there are infinite amount of discoveries to be made when it comes to physics. If the human races is still on this planet a thousand years from now and hasnt destroyed itself, the concepts of physics and what would be known then, wouldnt be the same as now in comparison. Technology would be different. The things we might have deemed impossible might be in fact be possible and plausible. Then space travel from other star systems maybe in fact possible. Just look at the advancement we have made in a 100 years, Imagine what could be gained in a 1000 years? And imagine a civilization that is 2000 years more advance that the human race. Imagine the concept and discoveries that they would have in physics in comparison to ours. Imagine the technologies they would possess. Imagine the technology we would possess in 2000 years. Many things still remain to be uncovered in the universe and in physics.

They are not complete, I would be the first to admit it, but that will not change what we do know, it might expand upon it. It might redefine aspects of it, but I see no reason to think it is wrong, we do not make the rules, we just observe them and report them. Saying we do not "have them right" is kind of like saying when we see a Lion, it's not really a Lion. New physics might make technology more workable, I grant, but right now, physics are the same across the Universe. Aliens have to follow the same laws that we do, and have observed. Even Michio Kaku says the same thing in Through The Wormhole, Season 3, Episode 1.

Technology too, must hit a wall. It is not never ending. I hear what you are saying, and I have heard the argument, but if I might bring the debate a little closer to home, we once said, heavier than air flight was impossible, the speed of sound was impossible, yet birds flew right in front of our eyes, the Mantis Shrimp exceeds the speed of sounds when it attacks with pincers, heck, man had already accomplished traversing the speed of sound with the bullet, and the simple whip! All it was, was people not looking around themselves. Science did. Science made the discoveries that paved the way to overcome these man made obstacles. And now we have Plasma TV's and... drag cars. I love 'em. Yes, I know driving really fast in ladies clothing is dangerous, but the rush is hard to beat.

And we said no way can man break the 8 second quarter mile. But we did. Then they said the 5 second quarter mile could not be done, a man would black out. Sometimes they do, but we still did it. Now we are into sub 5 second quarters. Can we do 4? Probably! 3? Maybe, I'd love to try it! What about 2? Man that is smoking! Imagine if we could barrel down a quarter mile in a conventional engine in 2 seconds! I can only imagine how that might feel. 1 second? Can we get a car to go down the quarter ,mile in les than one second flat?

You know what. I really do not think so. A drag car has a normall aspirated engine. The only way it is going to do that is by fitting some amazing advanced tech that we do not posses right? But lets just say, some genius manages to do a quarter second pass in under one second. Amazing as that is.

Then what?

Backwards in time? A drag car is not going to do that, so you need to dump the technology because it has reached it's limit. I think everything in existence has a limit, and light is at the end of that limit. I think when Einstein came up with E=MC2, he came up with the first basic equation of the Universe, the equivalent to our 1+1=2. I think we have to stop thinking about going faster, and think about another way to tackle the conundrum of space travel, and to be honest, proposals that use several suns as a source of power, and only ever in theory - is just our way if learning that limit.

Still, it is viable for short space travel. But we are not ever seeing species at our level of technology. Only ones with fantastical stuff we can only imagine (and often do). I think that is something of a problem to.

Edited by psyche101