Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Big Bad Voodoo

Most distant object in our solar system

5 posts in this topic

http://io9.com/5978188/the-most-distant-object-in-our-solar-system-is-actually-the-second-red-planet

Sedna is red, like Mars, which speaks to an interesting composition, but scientists are mainly interested in it because its position might tell us something about the Oort Cloud and the history of life on Earth.

1 person likes this

What an incredibly poor article that is. For a start it has this unbelievably wrong statement:

The most distant known object in the universe is Sedna, and astronomers hope that it's a sign of things even farther out

There is a bit of a difference between being the farthest known object in the solar system and the farthest known object in the universe.

Then there is this meaningless statement:

It's so far out that the sun, from a person on Sedna's perspective, would be no larger than a particularly big star - about the size of a pinhead.

About the size of a pin head!? About the same size as a pin head viewed from where? At arms length? 2 cm away? 2 metres away? 2 Km away?

What an incredibly poor article that is. For a start it has this unbelievably wrong statement:

There is a bit of a difference between being the farthest known object in the solar system and the farthest known object in the universe.

Was going to say the same thing haha

Aw shucks. We know what the writer meant -- it could happen to anyone (although maybe the editor should be fired). At least we learn about Sedna. Maybe one day it will have a last-chance gas station on the way out of the Solar System.

Aw shucks. We know what the writer meant -- it could happen to anyone (although maybe the editor should be fired). At least we learn about Sedna. Maybe one day it will have a last-chance gas station on the way out of the Solar System.

Hhahaha yeah i knew what the writer meant frank,but if i told someone to sit around all day and eat chips and cookies my boss would call me out on it hahaha