Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brazil Nightclub Fire Kills at Least 245

rashore

SÃO PAULO—At least 245 people died in a fire that swept through a crowded nightclub in the southern Brazilian city of Santa Maria early Sunday, local television reports said. The Globo television network reported that the fire broke out around 2 a.m. local time, when the Kiss nightclub was crowded with more than 1,000 revelers. Officials said the death toll could rise, prompting President Dilma Rousseff to cut short her attendance at a summit of Latin American and European leaders in Chile and fly home.

http://online.wsj.co...0104041576.html

Wow, sad and horrible.

Nightclubs in the region have suffered similar tragedies in recent years, partly because of weak safety supervision by local governments.

Officials said the death toll could rise, prompting President Dilma Rousseff to cut short her attendance at a summit of Latin American and European leaders in Chile and fly home

=========================================================================================

Maybe she will now concentrate on making sure health and safety precautions are put to the forefront.

Awful tragedy for so many young people.

• Like 1

Yes it is sad that so many had to die in this. They should ban all inside fireworks or pyrotechnics. They should also stop allowing more people in than the building can safely house and adopt some fire codes.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 3

Tragedy. Out to have fun then that. I hope there families will eventually find peace.

• Like 2

Tragedy. Out to have fun then that. I hope there families will eventually find peace.

That will also depend on how the government and the night club owners deal with this.

"Nightclubs in the region have suffered similar tragedies in recent years, partly because of weak safety supervision by local governments."

Not only the families of these young people, but for the families of those who have died in the past. If something is done because of this recent tragedy, then maybe their child did not die in vein, but this truly is an awful thing to happen to make sure changes are made to ensure it never happen again!

This is so sad that it can’t be described.

Most of the people that died were around 16 – 25 years old…

Just a few died of burns, most died of asphyxiation due to CO2. They ran to the bathroom in belief they could save themselves there, but got stuck inside and the CO2 slowly killed them.

When the fire fighters got in the night club and reached for the bath rooms, they were shocked by the view of piles of bodies one over another.

Even tho no words can put the hearts of their relatives in peace, my prayers goes to all affected by this tragedy.

I pray that the Great Architect of the Universe bless the souls of everyone that perished in this tragedy?

• Like 2

This is from CNN. Terrible!

Firefighters used the hole Basson and his friends created to get inside the club.

There, they were greeted by the eerie sounds of cell phones ringing in the pockets and purses of the dead. Many of the calls were from parents desperate to reach their children.

Full Article

That is so heartbreaking! Why does it take something of this magnitude to get attention to problems that need fixing?

Brazilian police have arrested three people in connection with a fire at a nightclub that killed 231 people in the southern city of Santa Maria on Sunday.

An owner of the Kiss nightclub, a member of the band Gurizada Fandangueira, and its security chief were being questioned, police said.

A fourth person, reported to be a co-owner of the club, is being sought

http://www.bbc.co.uk...merica-21232740

This is shocking and so sad...

The great fire of London there were just a few that died and it was a massive fire..I think the death toll was just 6 people.. Then a fire in a single nightclub has a death toll of over 230 .. That is astonishing and unbelievably sad

This is shocking and so sad...

The great fire of London there were just a few that died and it was a massive fire..I think the death toll was just 6 people.. Then a fire in a single nightclub has a death toll of over 230 .. That is astonishing and unbelievably sad

Being in the fire protection industry i can tell you that there is an issue with escape routes in bars, nightclubs and back packer accomodation because either there are no emergency exit lights (they clash with nightclub lights/strobes) or the exits are locked (to prevent others sneaking in). Often, it is found that even when emergency exits are present, 90% of the occupants will use the entry/exit door they came in through causing a bottle neck and deaths at the doorway.

The best protection from the smoke/gases is a sprinkler system, which will supress a fire and therefor reduce the amount of smoke spread/thickness. But sprinkler systems are costly to install and maintain, so many developers try to avoid them.

I wish the families all the best. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be the father of a 16 year old killed in this disaster.

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 2

Being in the fire protection industry i can tell you that there is an issue with escape routes in bars, nightclubs and back packer accomodation because either there are no emergency exit lights (they clash with nightclub lights/strobes) or the exits are locked (to prevent others sneaking in). Often, it is found that even when emergency exits are present, 90% of the occupants will use the entry/exit door they came in through causing a bottle neck and deaths at the doorway.

The best protection from the smoke/gases is a sprinkler system, which will supress a fire and therefor reduce the amount of smoke spread/thickness. But sprinkler systems are costly to install and maintain, so many developers try to avoid them.

I wish the families all the best. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be the father of a 16 year old killed in this disaster.

My city has now started requiring sprinkler systems in historic buildings that had been turned into bars and nightclubs. Several of them have gone out of business because they could not afford to do so. I hated to see them go because they were great places that had been in business for decades.

• Like 1

So can anyone explain the need for pyrotechnics at a club? What happened to just using lights? Pyrotechnics of any kind should be used only during outdoor events or at big places - arenas and stadiums, etc. - where something like this won't happen.

• Like 4

Just reading that casts a picture in my head.. A packed nightclub, people panicking, all running for the same door and being stuck and cant see with the smoke.. The smoke alone will kill them faster..

Are you a fire fighter?

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Just reading that casts a picture in my head.. A packed nightclub, people panicking, all running for the same door and being stuck and cant see with the smoke.. The smoke alone will kill them faster..

Are you a fire fighter?

No i am not a fire fighter. I did take the physical test when i left high school, but i didn't persue it after I learned that fire fighters only get paid minimum wage here (with some benefits). I work in planning, estimating and project managing different fire protection systems for the appropriate situation. I am also involved in inspections and certification of fire protection systems. When loss of life occurs in any fire situation our whole industry pays close attention and tries to learn any lessons we can from the disaster.

No i am not a fire fighter. I did take the physical test when i left high school, but i didn't persue it after I learned that fire fighters only get paid minimum wage here (with some benefits). I work in planning, estimating and project managing different fire protection systems for the appropriate situation. I am also involved in inspections and certification of fire protection systems. When loss of life occurs in any fire situation our whole industry pays close attention and tries to learn any lessons we can from the disaster.

Ahh I see...Thanks for that..

I went to a few nightclubs when I was younger that were in creepy old buildings, no windows, dark and full of smoke. Sometimes it was a maze of rooms inside, very confusing after a few drinks. Now I stick to outdoor patios with a band, unless it's really cold outside.

The night clubs I went to always had double exit doors at the back, left open for those who smoke outside ...

WE had over 100 deaths in an almost exact copy of this scenario in Warwick Rhode Island a few years ago. Pyrotechnics and overhead flammable foam insulation. They had 90 SECONDS to get out. When a place is sold out to capacity (and beyond) and any exit doors are locked then the owners should be criminally responsible for every death.

• Like 1

WE had over 100 deaths in an almost exact copy of this scenario in Warwick Rhode Island a few years ago. Pyrotechnics and overhead flammable foam insulation. They had 90 SECONDS to get out. When a place is sold out to capacity (and beyond) and any exit doors are locked then the owners should be criminally responsible for every death.

I remember listening to a speaker on this fire at our last conferance. [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVPgzLddshE[/media]

This is the video from youtube showing the fire starting and people moving toward the exit. Most of the deaths were caused when hundreds of people went to the main entrance/exit. There were three other exits of which, two were usable (plan below), but the vast majority did not think to use them. The next time you go to a packed club, look for emergency exits before you start enjoying yourself.

Station_plan.jpghttp://en.wikipedia....tation_plan.jpg

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 1

I always check out my orientation to fire exits in hotels and auditoriums. So few people take the time and it can be the difference between your child living and dying. A huge crowd of people becomes an animal in conditions like this and the outcome of that is too often lethal.

• Like 2

I feel that the world has lost way too many beautiful people in this incidence. I cry for them and those that love them.

I mourn.

I always check out my orientation to fire exits in hotels and auditoriums. So few people take the time and it can be the difference between your child living and dying. A huge crowd of people becomes an animal in conditions like this and the outcome of that is too often lethal.

Always know the exits.

Listen to the vibs you get. If you feel a need to get out when there is no reason to bolt, do it anyway. Get out.

Follow the most assurely present pre-sentiments that tell you not to go to specific places at specific times. Let your pre-sentiments be your guide.

• Like 1