Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dock Master Saves Baby From Icy Waters

Beckys_Mom

Dock Master Saves Baby From Icy Waters

A dock master tells Sky News how it was "instinct" to save a baby boy whose buggy had been blown into freezing waters.

A dock master has rescued a six-month-old baby after his buggy was blown into freezing cold waters by strong winds.

The infant, who was strapped in the buggy, was swept into the water as his mother walked along Watchet Harbour, Somerset, at 8am.

After hearing screams for help George Reeder, 63, initially thought a dog had fallen in but was horrified to see the pushchair upturned in the water.

He dived in and pulled the pushchair to the wall, before a member of the public helped attach a rope and hauled it to dry land - but not before the baby had spent around five minutes in the water.

The baby was revived by a passerby who administered CPR, before being taken to hospital, where he is believed to be out of intensive care.

More on this -> http://news.sky.com/...from-icy-waters

The baby is lucky the man was around to jump in... Glad the baby is doing OK now

EDIT in case anyone doesn't know - A buggy is a stroller

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 5

Good man, but I like to think that anyone would have done the same.

• Like 1

Good man, but I like to think that anyone would have done the same.

I would have.. I have no fear of water...I have been in freezing cold water before a couple time too..( fell out of a canoe lol )

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

I would have.. I have no fear of water...I have been in freezing cold water before a couple time too..( fell out of a canoe lol )

Hahaha, yeah been in many situations like that myself. lol

I'm amazed the baby survived 5 minutes in such cold. Good on the man! God bless him.

HERO, and hope he is ok too.In this weather survival in icy water is limited to about 8/10 minutes.Hypothermia is a killer.

• Like 1

That man deserves a medal and he was very brave to do that. Some people his age would of had a heart attack from the shock of the cold water.

I may of wanted to save the baby but honestly I don't think I could of jumped in that water like that. For one thing I don't swim that well and we would of both drowned.

• Like 1

That man deserves a medal and he was very brave to do that. Some people his age would of had a heart attack from the shock of the cold water.

I may of wanted to save the baby but honestly I don't think I could of jumped in that water like that. For one thing I don't swim that well and we would of both drowned.

The guy probably never even thought about the consequences,he just did it,I cant swim very well now (arthritis) but I would have give it a go and hope to keep the baby from drowning until further help arrived.

UUMMM, being a mom, if it was my child, I would be in that water so fast to get my baby out of there, not standing and screaming for help. Not trying to judge the mom, but....

UUMMM, being a mom, if it was my child, I would be in that water so fast to get my baby out of there, not standing and screaming for help. Not trying to judge the mom, but....

I would do similar.. Jump in grab my baby making sure he is no longer under the water and then scream for help ...I wouldn't stop yelling and screaming until someone heard us and helped us both out..

I would do similar.. Jump in grab my baby making sure he is no longer under the water and then scream for help ...I wouldn't stop yelling and screaming until someone heard us and helped us both out..

Yup. I have had to react fast in situations and I know that I would be doing this. I guess we all react differently and some people 'freeze'. But, my child comes first and always will.

• Like 1

Yup. I have had to react fast in situations and I know that I would be doing this. I guess we all react differently and some people 'freeze'. But, my child comes first and always will.

I agree our kids come first..

I agree our kids come first..

Now I wish I could hug mine just because but she's at school.....I don't think she'd appreciate me showing up for a hug! LOL

Now I wish I could hug mine just because but she's at school.....I don't think she'd appreciate me showing up for a hug! LOL

All you would hear is MOM you are embarrassing me get off lol .. Well that's what my daughter would say... My baby son, doesn't do hugs, if you pick him up to hug him, you best not be wearing your glasses, he goes for them and most times pulls my hair and nose....He likes being swung a little, but he expects it brave and often,, it can wear you out ...