Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran sends monkey into space

Waspie_Dwarf

AHahahahha :D :D :D

In related news, Iran announced the invention of color television. This, while Beatlemania sweeps the country. Thousands of Iranian teens are listening to the Fab Four with their transistor radios.

I do worry about Iran a lot. The rhetoric is scary, the Mullahs' rule is touch-and-go (which could lead them to do things they shouldn't) and anyone who believes the nuclear work is for electricity when they have all that oil and natural gas is not being reasonable.

I think they plan to use nuclear weapons for blackmail, but that is just the best interpretation I can put on it; other possible interpretations are much worse. I can see why Israel may come to do something drastic in the near future, although I fervently hope they don't.

• Like 1

Israel has its own nuclear missiles so if anything they have helped the paranoia in Iran by having them. As well Pakistan and India are both nuclear powers now and Iran is within striking distance of those 3 nuclear capable nations. Its called an arms race. Nothing will stop it TBH until they burn out there own cold war just like the US and Russia did.

For some reason once you reach the ability to destroy the world 20,000 over the nuke thing becomes not such a funtoy anymore.

Congratulations Iran!

Welcome to 1948.

This must be the rest of the "Civilized" world that Obama keeps saying we need to join.

• Like 1

I am more or less worried by Obama... he is the key in all this. And i dont like to see trigger happy lunatics..i just hope i aint seeing one now. Just watched a horrible documentary on how US is sending their freaking Ohio class submarines near China and building ABM shield around Russia... it is all fine and dandy but what happens when some lunatic in US makes a preemtive BS action, what about then??? I am really getting scared of that option which is begining to be backed by economic situation and history repeating itself and latest moves Obama made in your country and shitload of other factors!!!

America needs to stay out of this... Obama needs to be thrown out of office and i sincerly hope the court will come to same conclusion... He is too big of a threat to others... If those people have any sense of logic and justice and morality they will find him guilty..and all will be avoided and i would feel much safer.

• Like 1

Physically a missile launched from Iran will not hit American soil. Fact. We insist on making it our problem despite this.

No but it could hit some of our allies in Europe or Asia.

Edited by little_dreamer

No but it could hit some of our allies in Europe or Asia.

Then our allies in Asia and Europe should certainly be the voice on this problem. We can be supportive of that.

I wonder if that monkey is from bj and the bear. Tv show

I heard bear became a test pilot

P

• Like 1

We (the USA) should retort back with a prompt elephant launch, just to show em' who's boss. :D

oo? And I thought that Russian are sending your people into space couse U are not capable? :alien:

Of course first they had to put a banana in orbit.. and then equip the rocket with a windshield and a gas pedal .

I wish so much they`d send their collective Ayatollhas to space.

]Iran 'successfully sends monkey into space' [/b]

Whoopee doo. The Americans sent a monkey into space in 1948.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

I can think of thousands of humans better suited to jetison off into space... poor wee monkey

With some help yes... German help..same goes for ISS even name says it all..

Iran, Japan, Russia many more are doing this on their own from their own research so dont give yourself too much credit.

Edited by Tesla II

With some help yes... German help

Just a little bit, it was a German V2 rocket launched with the help of German experts. I suspect even the monkey had a German accent.

A lot of people are still missing the point. All this "the USA did it first" stuff just demonstrates an inability to grasp the reality of what is actually going on.

I'll spell is out again for those that are still not getting it:

This is not some monkey strapped in a scud (the modern equivalent of the V2). Iran poses multi-stage rockets. They have launched satellites. The flight of this monkey shows that they can launch and accurately land a capsule. Now for "land" read "target" and for "capsule" read "warhead".

Put all this technology together and add it to a nuclear programme that no one seriously believes is civilian and you have a nation capable of building a nuclear missile.

What Germans the USA achieved in 1948 is irrelevant. What Iran can achieve tomorrow, that's the important thing.

I have no doubt that the Iranians are also

Worrying from a country that has threatened to wipe another Country off the map.

Thank you skookum, at least someone is getting it. Israel is almost certainly in range of Iran now. The Iranians may not have a nuclear bomb yet, but it is only a matter of time. The Middle East is a problematic region at the best of times. With sworn enemies possessing nuclear weapons the potential for a huge tragedy on a global scale can only increase.

Physically a missile launched from Iran will not hit American soil. Fact.

You haven't got the vaguest idea what you are talking about. FACT!

A sufficiently powerful rocket can launch a warhead to any point on the Earth's surface. In fact as far back as 1968 the Soviet Union deployed a system called FOBS. FOBS stood for fractional Orbital Bombardment System. The system allowed warheads to enter orbit and then re-enter. It meant that the Soviet Union could launch an attack on the USA over the South Pole. As all of NORADs radars were pointing to the North this system, taking the "long way round" could effectively hit the USA without being detected first. FOBS was prohibited by the SALT II treaty of 1979.

So there is no physical reason why the US can not be hit by a missile fired from ANYWHERE on Earth.

Whilst it is true that the Iranians do not yet have the capability to launch an attack on the USA, with the rapid development of their launcher capabilities that can not be guaranteed for ever.

• Like 1

a monkey???send a person to space to explore the "Dark side' of the moon INSTEAD!worthless in my opinion and awaste of time and money

This is not some monkey strapped in a scud (the modern equivalent of the V2). Iran poses multi-stage rockets. They have launched satellites. The flight of this monkey shows that they can launch and accurately land a capsule. Now for "land" read "target" and for "capsule" read "warhead".

That would be a catch and retreive model. Not accurate. More akin to a scud then ICBM. We used the same method in our early space program.

I stand by my statement that no single missile poses a threat to the USA launched from Iran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_national_missile_defense

sorry guys not ruining the results or etc.its just a waste of money and time in my opinion to send a monkey to space!!!although the only good thing about this is that its good for a laugh.

a monkey???send a person to space to explore the "Dark side' of the moon INSTEAD!worthless in my opinion and awaste of time and money

It is a good thing that your opinion counts for nothing then.

There is no such thing as the "dark side" of the moon. There is a "far side" but that receives just as much light as the near side.

As for the "worthlessness" of launching a monkey then you seem to be ignorant of the history of space flight. Such suborbital flights using animals (the Soviets preferred to use dogs rather than monkeys) were made by both the Soviet Union and the USA early in their space programme. Such flights were essential in learning about such things as life support systems. It was such experimental flights that led to both of those nations having successful manned space programmes.

Iran has stated that it wants to launch a man into space by 2020. As such this flight was a logical and ESSENTIAL step in that direction.

• Like 2

Waspie man, where is all this hatred coming from why are you so afraid that Iran would launch a missile towards US? It would get shot down anyway, with their primitive technology and your ABM system. Even if they would launch it , it would get shot down, and China would be very frustrated at Iran, so would be Russia and Iran could loose both of them as firm ally, they would remain buyers.. but i think alliance wouldnt work as it works right now.

Waspie man, where is all this hatred coming from why are you so afraid that Iran would launch a missile towards US? It would get shot down anyway, with their primitive technology and your ABM system.

There is no hatred coming from me. At no point have I said that Iran "would" launch an attack, I have simply pointed out that they are developing the capability to do so. I have deliberately kept my political views out of this and pointed out the technological implications of Iran's research. If you open both of your eyes and read all of what I have posted you will also see that I have defended this flight from a scientific point of view from those that have called it a waste of time and money.

To point out that Iran has the capability to produce medium and long range missiles is not an attack on Iran, it is a statement of fact.

Oh, and for your information I'm British, I don't think we have an ABM system.