Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crop circles are not the work of hoaxers

Still Waters

I agree that the majority of circles must have been made by hoaxers. But who were the first hoaxers imitating?

Also the first recorded crop circle in england was 1678. If this was a hoax, what purpose did it serve?

Diablefaucheur.jpg

I agree that the majority of circles must have been made by hoaxers. But who were the first hoaxers imitating?

Also the first recorded crop circle in england was 1678. If this was a hoax, what purpose did it serve?

Diablefaucheur.jpg

In those far off times the inexplicable was the work of the 'devil', after all the church and the bible had all the answers? In Britain today most people do not accept that idea.

How about the local physics club having a bit of fun on a Saturday night? Does that make it more plausible for you?

What if it is not a Saturday night? ;)

I´d put my money on about 90% being man-made. The rest due to some natural phenomena, but certainly not ETs playing around in wheat fields.... that ideao is just too idiotic.

• Like 1

So, extraterrestrial's thinking and behavior has to be exactly like ours? Does that seem likely? I can imagine a number of reasons why crop circles could be their preferred method of communication with us. It could be a subtle and non-threatening way of introducing themselves to us. Maybe they know something from past experience with contacting naive planets like ours. They may have learned that the direct approach; swooping in with an intimidating show of vastly superior technology, is about the worst thing they could do. Human history is full of examples of how destructive contact between a technically advanced civilization and a relatively primitive one can be, for the latter.

Unfortunately, the article was written in a 'tongue-in-cheek' manner, and didn't allow for any form of professional investigation to shine through, probably because there was no investigation undertaken, just a bit of reportage to fill some rag space. Then again, the subject of crop circles lends itself quite well to ridicule and just like any other subject of 'mystery', sceptics of all types ensure the waters remain muddy and disturbed, rather than allow things to settle and become clear. Sceptics have their own stances and beliefs to maintain, and defend them vigorously from positions of self-appointed heights of 'knowing'.

I too, am a sceptic of most claims for mysteries, but I am also a realist, and I am quite aware that science, at its current level, cannot answer some of the most funadmental questions about ourselves or about our world. On the subject of crop circles, for many sceptics the mystery as been revealed as nothing more than human pranksters or nocturnal artists, yet Doug and Dave never made an intricate design, certainly not on a scale of that of many formations that have appeared over the years. Their names are used simply to muddy the waters, to create doubt, other circle designers have claimed ownership and ran the gauntlet of prosecution for their artistry, but even so, they cannot lay claim to all the circles that have appeared.

My own personal opinion is that they are all man-made, having gone from simplistic circles to very complex and very large designs, like a carefully crafted (no pun intended) cottage industry to bring in the tourists, with the techniques used to make the circles becoming more elaborate than the use of boards and ropes. Certain circles would have needed quite serious research before they were made, and for the size and scale, and the fact that they are made in the hours of near darkness in summer, GPS would also be used. Here in England we are pretty good at our gardening, and I would not be surprised if a number of agricultural students through the years had played a part in creating them. Then again, there is that old 'chestnut' question...what's more likely? Alien visitors doing their own bit of gardening or human artistry upon our landscape? The question has never been fully answered, but one chooses a side following one's own predilection and mindset.

I have no problem in people believing in subjects that I personally find absurd, just as long as they are not in positions where they making decisions that affect other people's lives. it is one reason why state and religion must always remain separate, so that absurdity doesn't become common place politic.

I reckon I'd ''shoot to kill' any 'aliens' who tried to fancy-up a field I'd been nursing all year. (only saying)

• Like 1

I reckon I'd ''shoot to kill' any 'aliens' who tried to fancy-up a field I'd been nursing all year. (only saying)

I imagine if donteatus posted this, and felt right at home.

It's been proven that crop circles can be completed swiftly and efficiently. At least using some fairly modern technology. However, I think it's in the realm of possibility that one day it's discovered that non-complex crop circles have something to do with Earth's magnetic energy, or some other natural phenomenon. By simple crop circles I mean literally just circles.

Abremelin, they didn't have night vision goggles in the 40's or 50's did they ? How do you explain that away ?

Have you watched those black and white photos? From the 4 I posted the links of only one looks kind of elaborate, whlle the others are mere circles. I don't even think they are crop circles. And like Rafterman said, if they are, they could have been made during a full moon.

'Although farming practices, production systems and type of farms are diverse, there are commonalities across the farms, which are important to health. Most farms continue to be family-owned and operated business and are exposed to the volatility of commodity markets, the variability of weather patterns and the influence of respective government regulations.

Farmers are thus exposed to a high rate of stress. Physical stressors and hazards of the farm environment are compounded by regulatory framework and economic dynamics of managing farm business. These operate in the context of declining trends of trade for agricultural produce, volatile commodity markets, limited availability of off-farm employment, growing cost of machinery and production and loss of farm or livelihood due to crop failures.[2] Economic concerns and government bureaucracy have been consistently identified as a major cause of stress and a contributor to suicide.'

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2802368/

I'd opine that a couple of drunken halfwits/aliens ruining your crops when the mood takes them is also a contributory factor in these suicides.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

So, extraterrestrial's thinking and behavior has to be exactly like ours? Does that seem likely? I can imagine a number of reasons why crop circles could be their preferred method of communication with us.

Oh yeah? LOL

Ridiculous.

The only "communication" with these crop circles is the communication between the hoaxers and the gullible believers, if you can call it that.

Same purpose as now?

• Like 1

When crop circles first appeared they were quite simple. I thought if it did have something to do with aliens is was where they landed their ships and a perfect place would be a farm fields because they're flat for efficient irrigation so there wouldn't be any surprises in the terrain that would tip the ship. Crop circles seem to be graphic art these days.

I know you're trying to be funny, but your aim is off. The person in the article was attempting to give his view, with the best supporting evidence he could find.

Not because "boom, I say so".

Jeffertonturner said it, this blog says so, I believe it and that settles it!

Diablefaucheur.jpg

Why did they have to imitate anyone? You know, someone, somewhere, has to be the first to do something.

I'm also finding it kind of interesting that there seems to be this implication that folks didn't play pranks or **** with each other back in the day. You know, punking was around for hundreds of thousands of years before Ashton Kucher came along.

• Like 2

The geometric shapes i find more brilliant than the "how/who/why" factor... There is something truely magic behind the phenomena regardless of its origens

I would be more impressed if the so-called UFO's, instead of making silly, meaningless crop circles, would instead harvest the entire field for the owner.

• Like 2

I would be more impressed if the so-called UFO's, instead of making silly, meaningless crop circles, would instead harvest the entire field for the owner.

Not dissimilar to the 'challenge' a few of us in the CCCS put together to test the cosmic joker and/or circle-makers, in either 1993 or 1994 - probably the latter. If the circles/pictograms were made by some intelligence utilizing energy (by technology or otherwise), to demonstrate this all they had to do was flatten an entire field leaving a standing circle formation - still waiting for them to oblige.

• Like 1

while these are simply remarkable why would aliens make these

Because IF it was alien, They would make these designs to be understood mathmatically and symboliclly. Why do it in a field? Well its much harder to hide messages that are on the ground for everyone to see, rather than send an electronic signal that would only be heard by a few. Seems like a simple way to communicate to everyone.

And then sow a crop of something unknown to the earth.

When crop circles first appeared they were quite simple. I thought if it did have something to do with aliens is was where they landed their ships and a perfect place would be a farm fields because they're flat for efficient irrigation so there wouldn't be any surprises in the terrain that would tip the ship. Crop circles seem to be graphic art these days.

Consider that our understanding of the universe both large and small has come a long way since they first appeared. Why send a complex message to people who wont be able to interpet it? IF and i say IF... it is aliens i think you will find that in the future they even more complex than they are today.

yes all crop circles are all man made. What we need to realise is that we as society has a suffering called mental illness, and that is why there are so many crazy things happening in our world

So in 1678 someone created a circle with some ropes and boards. Then spontaineously 300 years later, someone else did the same, which gained some attention and started the worldwide craze. I am glad we sorted that one out. No more discussion! My mind is closed!

(please read the above with sarcasim)

I don't know if there are any "real" circles or not. What i do know is that; you don't know either.

Edited by Professor Buzzkill