Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Problem of Evil

manbearpigg

If you believe that the earth is only a few thousand years old, your argument has some merit. If however you believe in macro-evolution, then you are faced with the fact of pain, suffering and death existing before Adam and Eve. The warrant for this argument being the fossil record.

Don't forget cave wall paintings and the first evidence of cuneiform (i believe the oldest of paintings are over 25,000 years old) how old do the young-earth creationist believe the earth to be? anyone know?

Before we get started lets define evil according to the Bible. The Hebrew word for evil is ra. In a basic sense it means something that results in pain, sorrow or distress. It can, depending upon the context, also be translated as bad, gloomy, ugly, calamitous, malignant, ungenerous and envious. (Genesis 2:9; 40:7; 41:3; Exodus 33:4; Deuteronomy 6:22; 28:35; Proverbs 23:6; 28:22). The Greek word for evil is kakos. It is something that is morally bad and destructive. Bad, hurtful, injurious, wrong.

An illustration, if you will. A young child is told by his parents not to play in the street. To do so would be bad (Hebrew ra) because it could result in something bad (Hebrew ra). There are two possibilities if the child disobeys. Both of them are bad (Hebrew ra). Either the child gets hurt or the child gets punished. To the child the rule or the punishment may also seem bad or evil.

In the sense of punishment the Hebrew ra can and often is translated as calamitous. For example, at Isaiah 45:7. The KJV translates ra there as "evil." God created evil. A more accurate translation is calamitous. God created the punishment of the flood, and the expulsion of Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden.

Definitions are always welcome!

That God is omni anything is more of a theological assumption (and not a very accurate one) than it is a biblical fact, especially in the context that it is often given. Consider what it means to be omnivorous, for example. It has practical limitations, it doesn’t mean eating everything. God, for example, is most certainly not omnipresent. His position is fixed in heaven. He can go anywhere he likes, but his position is fixed. That he is omniscient isn’t entirely true in that although he can get to know anything he needs to know he doesn’t know everything. For example, he didn’t know what Cain had done, or what Adam and Eve had done, he had to ask. He sent angels to get to know if the complaints he was receiving from Sodom and Gomorrah were true. Is God omnipotent? God can’t lie. God can’t sin. It could be argued that he could do these things if he wanted to, but the fact is that his sense of justice prevents these things. Similar to when a person says I couldn’t kill another person. Is he Omni benevolent? He hates some things.

Again, i am using rhetoric against a massive population of self-proclaimed Christians that believe that theological fallacy of an Omni-all Abrahamic God. Just following the footsteps of Socrates and Plato. Yes biblical stories confirm that God Jehovah is not all powerful loving or knowing.

However, he has proven time and time again in the bible to be able to LIE (sacrifice of Isaac, 40 years wandering in a desert etc, death to all those who oppose certain penta-laws, etc.) if you say that those were just test and didnt really mean it than i guess i can say the same for all my lies as well.

Okay. Just for clarification evil is calamity through justice, as explained above and sin means simply to miss the mark. If the Bible is explaining that a marksman, a thrower of stones or spears, misses his mark the word used is sin. So to sin against ones boss is to show up late for work, to sin against your neighbor is to do something that he expects you not to do. The same as to sin against God. If God says not to kill, then to kill is a sin against God.

Those are, again, great definitions. Some I do not agree with, especially the last part. You say to go against God's will is a sin but biblical stories prove otherwise that many have gone against the will of God and was actually praised or blessed for some obscure reason. (David steals bread from the altar, Elisha? slaughters children with female bears, Hosea marries a harlot) all things that were supposedly denied by God in the scriptures but was justifiable when it seemed fit to do so.

That isn’t a logical conclusion given the facts.

It is only if you believe in that all-purpose Abrahamic God with no faults. (Where were you during this whole debate?)

What is evil is subjective, yes. We may perceive God’s workings evil. Good is also subjective, but good can exist without evil. Adam didn’t have to sin, he could have remained faithful and so not have died. Jesus demonstrated this by not sinning. It is promised that, just as God intended when he created man, man will live forever in peace upon the earth. We can fathom God’s actions. Through study of his word.

I believe we are in agreement here. Good CAN exist without evil if an almighty wills it.

Well, he did create heaven, but there is evil in heaven as well. Disobedient angels. There will be a new heavens and a new earth, meaning without sin.

i believe this is irrelevant to the OP. nice observation though.

The earth was created for man, and man will live forever upon it.

again I believe this is irrelevant. please clarify if you meant to tie it to some other point that i might have missed.

Acts 24:15: and I have hope toward God, which hope these [men] themselves also entertain, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.

The Bible promises everyone will have the opportunity to make an informed decision. That is why it says that some will be resurrected to life everlasting and some to judgment. That is why Satan is released for 1000 years after the resurrection.

I believe this comes down to canonical differences. From your choice of diction and theology, I'm going to assume Jehovah's Witness or Seventh Day? If not please let me know otherwise.

In answer, I would say, with all due respect, you have much to learn.

I appreciate the respect but I still find the last bit a little condescending since you pertain more knowledge in a specific field of a specific sect of Christianity. In the subject of biblical canons you far out-know me but only in the specific field of your sect. In general knowledge of theology and biblical creeds, I don;t think you can say you know more than another person just by reading a few posts. Agreed?

Sorry for the lentitudinous replies, I was busy for a bit!

Don't forget cave wall paintings and the first evidence of cuneiform (i believe the oldest of paintings are over 25,000 years old) how old do the young-earth creationist believe the earth to be? anyone know?

6,000 years old, which isn't Biblically supported (See my post Genesis Chapter 1) However, I would dispute the historical dating of mankind being older than 6,000 years. Adam was, according to accurate Bible chronology, created in 4026 B.C.E.

6,000 years old, which isn't Biblically supported (See my post Genesis Chapter 1) However, I would dispute the historical dating of mankind being older than 6,000 years. Adam was, according to accurate Bible chronology, created in 4026 B.C.E.

So how does your system of belief uhh... justify the fossil, written, carbon dating records that link man over 5,000 years?

I appreciate the respect but I still find the last bit a little condescending since you pertain more knowledge in a specific field of a specific sect of Christianity. In the subject of biblical canons you far out-know me but only in the specific field of your sect. In general knowledge of theology and biblical creeds, I don;t think you can say you know more than another person just by reading a few posts. Agreed?

Well, I was referring to the specific subject in the O.P. Your suppositions were not in line with the Bible specifically. I probably know less about theology and biblical creeds than anyone here. The Bible itself, however, is another matter.

Now, I realize you may see God as the "mad sadist" who inflicts pain on people just for his own pleasure. I've spent some time thinking about this myself, because it seems as though pain is often unnecessary and gratuitious. For instance, why are good, faithful Christians imprisoned and tortured for their faith in God, as happens on a daily basis around the world? If put in that position, would I remain faithful, or would I immediately cave, curse God, and beg for mercy from my tormentors? And I've always believed, knowing my own weak nature, that yes, I would immediately cave, curse God, and beg for mercy.

And then I read the stories of people who spend years in hellish prisons, imprisoned for their faith in God, and upon their release proclaim the goodness of God. How is that even possible?

This is an excerpt from Richard Wurmbrand's "In God's Underground":

"The prison years did not seem too long for me, for I discovered, alone in my cell, that beyond belief and love there is delight in God: a deep and extraordinary ecstasy of happiness that is like nothing in this world. And when I came out of jail I was like someone who comes down from a mountaintop where he has seen for miles around the peace and beauty of the countryside, and now returns to the plain."

He was in prison for 14 years. He didn't view God as a heartless, distant diety inflicting pain on his creation, but as a benevolent, caring Father.

I wasn't referring to just god, but all of mankind as well. I see all of the ugliness of mankind in god. Sadists are about power and think inwards, only of themselves, obtaining dominance through the use of pain, without pity or remorse. It just happens they take pleasure in inflicting pain also.

So how does your system of belief uhh... justify the fossil, written, carbon dating records that link man over 5,000 years?

Perhaps the best way for me to respond would be to give you a link that I posted myself on my own forum? The Historicity of The Bible. I could post it here but it is really long, 4 parts (posts) in the thread. It doesn't deal with the fossil, or carbon dating which are barely as useful as blind speculation or the failed metaphysical experimentation called "Evolution."

To a skeptic the idea of the Bible being far more accurate than those forms of dating are as ridiculous as the aforementioned methods are to me, I suppose. You can get 1,656 years of chronology just in Genesis 5:1-29; 7:6. From Adam’s creation to the birth of Seth, 130 years; Then to the birth of Enosh, 105 years; To the birth of Kenan, 90 years; To the birth of Mahalalel, 70 years; To the birth of Jared, 65 years; To the birth of Enoch, 162 years; To the birth of Methuselah, 65 years; To the birth of Lamech, 187 years; To the birth of Noah, 182 years; To the Flood, 600 years. Total of 1,656 years. Taking it there from a pivotal point with accurate secular historical note and extending it to the present day takes only a matter of time and effort. Comparing it to astronomical records is helpful.

Edited by David Henson

Perhaps the best way for me to respond would be to give you a link that I posted myself on my own forum? The Historicity of The Bible. I could post it here but it is really long, 4 parts (posts) in the thread. It doesn't deal with the fossil, or carbon dating which are barely as useful as blind speculation or the failed metaphysical experimentation called "Evolution."

To a skeptic the idea of the Bible being far more accurate than those forms of dating are as ridiculous as the aforementioned methods are to me, I suppose. You can get 1,656 years of chronology just in Genesis 5:1-29; 7:6. From Adam’s creation to the birth of Seth, 130 years; Then to the birth of Enosh, 105 years; To the birth of Kenan, 90 years; To the birth of Mahalalel, 70 years; To the birth of Jared, 65 years; To the birth of Enoch, 162 years; To the birth of Methuselah, 65 years; To the birth of Lamech, 187 years; To the birth of Noah, 182 years; To the Flood, 600 years. Total of 1,656 years. Taking it there from a pivotal point with accurate secular historical note and extending it to the present day takes only a matter of time and effort. Comparing it to astronomical records is helpful.

I don;t understand why carbon dating/fossil records are as useful as blind speculation when science backs it up. the measurement of half-life in our carbon based system is much more accurate and scientific than biblical accounts which has no known basis except God and his muses.

I don;t see what is metaphysical about evolution when it strictly deals with the physical not beyond that which is what the metaphysical is.

Just so we are clear, I am not an evolutionist nor do i deny it. It is a tool and an honest attempt at correctly defining the nature of this universe, not a final statement as many atheist tend to believe.

However, in my mind it holds much more credibility than the biblical accounts, probably very different in your point of view.

AND yes i read your link and it really doesnt answer my specific question but I understand your general beliefs from what i assume.

Oh and please answer my previous response (I know i didnt quote it right but its mixed in there with your thread).

AND yes i read your link and it really doesnt answer my specific question but I understand your general beliefs from what i assume.

I think the answer to your question would be: the atmospheric pressure and oxygen content before the Flood was much greater, and the Flood itself intensely affected the geology of the world.

Ok I'll accept that. It seems to a very common view. Bart Ehrman explains in his book God's Problem: How the Bible fails to answer our most important question - why we suffer that the biggest problem he had when teaching a course on theodicy to a class of privileged teenagers was convincing them there was a problem.
Although it may sound similar, what PA is saying is significantly different to what Ehrman is saying.

PA is pointing out that since the universe is serving God's purpose there is no problem from God's perspective.

While Ehrman is viewing the situation from a humanist perspective and saying that since the universe does not function the way he would like it to or the way he thinks it would work if the Biblical God was real, that means there is a problem with the Bible.

• Like 1

[/size]

I think the answer to your question would be: the atmospheric pressure and oxygen content before the Flood was much greater, and the Flood itself intensely affected the geology of the world.

I must have missed something. I thought I had answered the question and it had nothing to do with that. Maybe I should scroll and recheck.

I don;t understand why carbon dating/fossil records are as useful as blind speculation when science backs it up.

Because science is the imperfect observations of man.

the measurement of half-life in our carbon based system is much more accurate and scientific than biblical accounts which has no known basis except God and his muses.

God "and his muses" have proven to be far more accurate. In another thread I point out that the life expectancy given by science for King David's time was 35 - 40 years when he himself wrote it was 70 - 80. The basis of science on the matter is conjecture, whereas David was there.

I don;t see what is metaphysical about evolution when it strictly deals with the physical not beyond that which is what the metaphysical is.

Just so we are clear, I am not an evolutionist nor do i deny it. It is a tool and an honest attempt at correctly defining the nature of this universe, not a final statement as many atheist tend to believe.

However, in my mind it holds much more credibility than the biblical accounts, probably very different in your point of view.

Exactly.

Oh and please answer my previous response (I know i didnt quote it right but its mixed in there with your thread).

Perhaps we are at cross purposes, could you repeat the question please?

I must have missed something. I thought I had answered the question and it had nothing to do with that. Maybe I should scroll and recheck.

I was interpreting manbearpigg's statement ("So how does your system of belief uhh... justify the fossil, written, carbon dating records that link man over 5,000 years?") to ask how a relatively young earth and recent advent of humanity could correlate with a fossil record that goes back millions of years. If I was wrong, I apologize. I was not intending to trample on the thread.

God "and his muses" have proven to be far more accurate. In another thread I point out that the life expectancy given by science for King David's time was 35 - 40 years when he himself wrote it was 70 - 80. The basis of science on the matter is conjecture, whereas David was there.

Exactly.

sure thing: (Its mixed in there)

snapback.pngDavid Henson, on 04 February 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

Before we get started lets define evil according to the Bible. The Hebrew word for evil is ra. In a basic sense it means something that results in pain, sorrow or distress. It can, depending upon the context, also be translated as bad, gloomy, ugly, calamitous, malignant, ungenerous and envious. (Genesis 2:9; 40:7; 41:3; Exodus 33:4; Deuteronomy 6:22; 28:35; Proverbs 23:6; 28:22). The Greek word for evil is kakos. It is something that is morally bad and destructive. Bad, hurtful, injurious, wrong.

An illustration, if you will. A young child is told by his parents not to play in the street. To do so would be bad (Hebrew ra) because it could result in something bad (Hebrew ra). There are two possibilities if the child disobeys. Both of them are bad (Hebrew ra). Either the child gets hurt or the child gets punished. To the child the rule or the punishment may also seem bad or evil.

In the sense of punishment the Hebrew ra can and often is translated as calamitous. For example, at Isaiah 45:7. The KJV translates ra there as "evil." God created evil. A more accurate translation is calamitous. God created the punishment of the flood, and the expulsion of Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden.

That God is omni anything is more of a theological assumption (and not a very accurate one) than it is a biblical fact, especially in the context that it is often given. Consider what it means to be omnivorous, for example. It has practical limitations, it doesn’t mean eating everything. God, for example, is most certainly not omnipresent. His position is fixed in heaven. He can go anywhere he likes, but his position is fixed. That he is omniscient isn’t entirely true in that although he can get to know anything he needs to know he doesn’t know everything. For example, he didn’t know what Cain had done, or what Adam and Eve had done, he had to ask. He sent angels to get to know if the complaints he was receiving from Sodom and Gomorrah were true. Is God omnipotent? God can’t lie. God can’t sin. It could be argued that he could do these things if he wanted to, but the fact is that his sense of justice prevents these things. Similar to when a person says I couldn’t kill another person. Is he Omni benevolent? He hates some things.

Again, i am using rhetoric against a massive population of self-proclaimed Christians that believe that theological fallacy of an Omni-all Abrahamic God. Just following the footsteps of Socrates and Plato. Yes biblical stories confirm that God Jehovah is not all powerful loving or knowing.

However, he has proven time and time again in the bible to be able to LIE (sacrifice of Isaac, 40 years wandering in a desert etc, death to all those who oppose certain penta-laws, etc.) if you say that those were just test and didnt really mean it than i guess i can say the same for all my lies as well.

Okay. Just for clarification evil is calamity through justice, as explained above and sin means simply to miss the mark. If the Bible is explaining that a marksman, a thrower of stones or spears, misses his mark the word used is sin. So to sin against ones boss is to show up late for work, to sin against your neighbor is to do something that he expects you not to do. The same as to sin against God. If God says not to kill, then to kill is a sin against God.

Those are, again, great definitions. Some I do not agree with, especially the last part. You say to go against God's will is a sin but biblical stories prove otherwise that many have gone against the will of God and was actually praised or blessed for some obscure reason. (David steals bread from the altar, Elisha? slaughters children with female bears, Hosea marries a harlot) all things that were supposedly denied by God in the scriptures but was justifiable when it seemed fit to do so.

It is only if you believe in that all-purpose Abrahamic God with no faults. (Where were you during this whole debate?)

What is evil is subjective, yes. We may perceive God’s workings evil. Good is also subjective, but good can exist without evil. Adam didn’t have to sin, he could have remained faithful and so not have died. Jesus demonstrated this by not sinning. It is promised that, just as God intended when he created man, man will live forever in peace upon the earth. We can fathom God’s actions. Through study of his word.

I believe we are in agreement here. Good CAN exist without evil if an almighty wills it.

Well, he did create heaven, but there is evil in heaven as well. Disobedient angels. There will be a new heavens and a new earth, meaning without sin.

i believe this is irrelevant to the OP. nice observation though.

The earth was created for man, and man will live forever upon it.

again I believe this is irrelevant. please clarify if you meant to tie it to some other point that i might have missed.

Acts 24:15: and I have hope toward God, which hope these [men] themselves also entertain, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.

The Bible promises everyone will have the opportunity to make an informed decision. That is why it says that some will be resurrected to life everlasting and some to judgment. That is why Satan is released for 1000 years after the resurrection.

I believe this comes down to canonical differences. From your choice of diction and theology, I'm going to assume Jehovah's Witness or Seventh Day? If not please let me know otherwise.

In answer, I would say, with all due respect, you have much to learn.

What exactly do you consider "accurate Bible chronology?"

I can say that God is the imperfect hope of man but does not give it credibility. I can say many things but does not mean it holds truth.

Actually, the biblical accounts of David and most other biblical characters were written centuries after the reign of King David by unknown authors (Scholars have coined these writers with individual letters that represent their origins as in AUTHOR E or AUTHOR I) Same goes for the new testament where the earliest of the gospels are dated years after the death of Jesus and his disciples.

So in real retrospect, David was not present in the time when the books of judges, samuel, and kings were written (and maybe the chronicles?)

I know that Job is the oldest book dated yet and is closest to what the ancient Judaic diaspora believed YHWH was supposed to be like.

Furthermore, It is the OPINION of the scholars that these collection of books we call the old testament today were written with a purpose during very troubling times for the nations of Israel and Judea.

The purpose is very obvious in the books.

I am not denying a form of truth in these books but to say that the bible holds more credibility than the "imperfect observation of man" (science) is very hard to back up since the bible holds just as many imperfections of men but with mythology, zealous fanaticism, and transitory mistakes embedded in it.

Exactly.

PA is pointing out that since the universe is serving God's purpose there is no problem from God's perspective.

While Ehrman is viewing the situation from a humanist perspective

Right, like Job, God's ways are so high above our ways, it's an ineffable mystery. It's probably for a greater good (whatever that is), and anyways, "that's just the way it is".

Are there any new arguments out there?

I was interpreting manbearpigg's statement ("So how does your system of belief uhh... justify the fossil, written, carbon dating records that link man over 5,000 years?") to ask how a relatively young earth and recent advent of humanity could correlate with a fossil record that goes back millions of years. If I was wrong, I apologize. I was not intending to trample on the thread.

No, it was me at fault. I understood your answer and appreciated it. Good answer. I just didn't realize at the time that that was the nature of the question he had asked. Please, I would rather you trample on the thread than withhold your answer.

sure thing: (Its mixed in there)

I see what the problem is. You are having difficulty in using the quote tags in your response. Its difficult to see where our comments are separated. You need to put a quote tag before each of my comments you want to address, by simply typing quote in brackets. [ quote ] only without the spaces. At the end of each quote be sure to close the tag by typing /quote in brackets like this [ /quote ] only without spaces. Its also a good idea to leave the first quote tag as it is, for example, this opening quote tag is [ quote name='manbearpigg' timestamp='1360110953' post='4652113' ] but also make sure you close that first one just as you would the following ones. [ / quote ] The reason for this is that it includes a link to the original post. I hope this helps. I would recommend you not use the multi quote function. Its a pain in the ass.

Good. Thank you.

You have to be careful about how you read some portions of the Bible. I don't know exactly how you think that God lied regarding the things you mention, but I've found that most problems skeptics have with the Bible are due to misinterpretation rather than mistranslation. If you want to discuss each of those above cases you can tell me what exactly you mean in each one, with scriptural references if possible.

Just briefly I can comment on a couple of those. In the case of David, the holy bread was to be removed that day and replaced by fresh bread. Some translations use the term "common" meaning it was to be thrown away and replaced, since it was a Sabbath. (Leviticus 24:5-9 / 1 Samuel 21:1-6 / Matthew 12:1-4) It would have been a sin had Ahimelech taken the fresh bread and given it to David.

In the case of Elisha and the bears, The people of Jericho were no friends to prophets of Jehovah. On his way to Bethel it isn't disclosed how far it took to gather this possibly hostile group of children, or whether or not Elisha may have felt his safety was threatened, but it is safe to say that God knew these children were opposed to his purpose set before Elisha and God wasn't going to tolerate it any further than he did. (Proverbs 17:12)

Since Elisha was wearing the official robe of the prophet, as the children in the area may have been aware, their taunting may have been directed at Jehovah himself. The question is were the children saying "Go on up" meaning to Jericho or as in the way Elijah had been transported elsewhere on earth at 2 Kings 2:11? It is very likely the case that the children were challenging God and blaspheming him.

There are a few times when it seems that God is pronouncing evil upon someone when in fact he is pointing out with accuracy the results of someone's evil nature. Canaan is a good example of that in the case of Noah's intoxication. (Ge 9:20, 21) To curse can mean to predict the outcome of a group of people due to their noted propensity for doing bad. The children in the case of Elisha were a pretty obvious target for that. These were probably teenagers rather than small children.

Be more specific, then. What are the facts and why isn't it a logical conclusion?

Okay. Though Good is subjective. What God thinks is good some may not. Countless people will reject God and prefer everlasting destruction.

I believe this (Acts 24:15) comes down to canonical differences. From your choice of diction and theology, I'm going to assume Jehovah's Witness or Seventh Day? If not please let me know otherwise.

Its a Bible quote. What does canon have to do with it? You used that term earlier and I'm not sure what you mean by it.

I answered this before, and I still don't see the question you asked that I haven't answered.

How would you know the Love of God without the hatred of the Devil. Love is better to be chosen rather than forced. How do you know what is good until you know what is evil or the truth until you know the lie and unless you ask for it or he intentionally gave it to you, how could you differentiate what the truth is and what the lie is.

The bible is put into such a way as to cause you to think and reason and to ask God for understanding. Certain things are intentionally kept from us so that we may choose to ask God for help and clarity, this is another choice of love. It is good that there are skeptical people out there, to make those who do not believe ask questions that those who do believe can answer them so that when others who do not believe hear or read the answer may find what they are looking for. Even if the skeptic being answered doesn't find what he's looking for, others will. But the mere fact that your asking questions, means that your heart is looking for the truth that is God, thats where most of us start.

If I cannot see God, yet see the evidence of him in everything around me, but would like a more personal touch, I'd study meditation and keep working at it until I found him.

As of right now we are in a fallen nature and that needs to be cured. Once you can see the lie of worldliness, then you can see the truth that lies beyond the world.

Edited by nothingliz

What exactly do you consider "accurate Bible chronology?"

B.C.E.

4026, Adam created

3404, Enoch born

3096, Adam dies

2970, Noah born

2470, Japheth born

2468, Shem born

2370, Flood begins

2369, post-Flood history begins

1943, Abraham crosses Euphrates

1932, Ishmael born

1919, covenant of circumcision made with Abraham

1918, Isaac born

1913, Isaac weaned

1893, Abraham attempts to sacrifice Isaac

1881, Sarah dies

1878, Isaac weds Rebekah

1858, Esau and Jacob born

1843, Abraham dies

1795, Ishmael dies

1781, Jacob flees to Mesopotamia

1774, Jacob weds Leah and Rachel

1761, Jacob returns to Canaan

1750, Joseph sold into slavery

1738, Isaac dies

1728, Jacob moves to Egypt

1711, Jacob dies

1657, Joseph dies

c. 1613, Job tried

1513, Exodus from Egypt / Genesis written

1512, Aaronic priesthood installed / Exodus, Leviticus written / tabernacle completed

c. 1473, Job written

1473, Numbers, Deuteronomy written / Moses dies / Israelites enter Promised Land / spies enter Jericho / Jericho falls

c. 1467, conquest of Canaan completed

c. 1450, Joshua written

1424, first Jubilee celebrated

1173, Jephthah becomes judge

1117, Saul begins reign

c. 1100, Judges written

c. 1090, Ruth written

c. 1078, 1 Samuel written

1077, David becomes king of Judah at Hebron / Ish-bosheth becomes king of Israel

1075, Ish-bosheth assassinated

1070, David becomes king over all Israel

(Sometime after 1070), David brings ark of the covenant to Jerusalem

c. 1040, 2 Samuel written

1037, Solomon begins reign

1034, Solomon begins temple

1027, Solomon completes temple

1026, Solomon dedicates temple

c. 1020, Song of Solomon written

(Sometime before 1000) Ecclesiastes written

 998, Solomon dies

 997, Rehoboam becomes king / Israel divided into two kingdoms / Jeroboam becomes king of Israel

 993, Pharaoh Shishak invades Judah

 980, Abijah (Abijam) becomes king of Judah

 978, Asa becomes king of Judah

 977, Asa's first regnal year

c. 976, Nadab becomes king of Israel

c. 975, Baasha becomes king of Israel

 967, Asa defeats Ethiopians

 962, "thirty-sixth year" of Asa's reign

c. 952, Elah becomes king of Israel

c. 951, Zimri becomes king of Israel for seven days / Omri becomes king of Israel

c. 940, Ahab becomes king of Israel

 936, Jehoshaphat becomes king of Judah

c. 920, Ahab dies

c. 919, Ahaziah (son of Ahab) becomes king of Israel

c. 917, Jehoram (son of Ahab) becomes king of Israel

 913, Jehoram (son of Jehoshaphat) reigns with father

 911, Jehoshaphat dies

c. 906, Ahaziah (grandson of Jehoshaphat) becomes king of Judah

c. 905, Jehu anointed as king of Israel / Jehoram (son of Ahab) killed by Jehu / Ahaziah (grandson of Jehoshaphat) killed by Jehu / Athaliah usurps throne of Judah

c. 904, Jehu's first year as king of Israel

 898, Jehoash (son of Ahaziah) becomes king of Judah

c. 877, Jehu dies

 876, Jehoahaz becomes king of Israel

 860, Jehoahaz dies

c. 859, Jehoash (son of Jehoahaz) becomes king of Israel

 859, Jehoash (son of Ahaziah) assassinated

 858, Amaziah becomes king of Judah

c. 844, Jeroboam II becomes king of Israel / Jonah written

 829, Uzziah becomes king of Judah

c. 820, Joel written

c. 818, Uzziah (Azariah) 'becomes king'

c. 804, Amos written / Hosea begins prophesying / Jeroboam II begins last regnal year

c. 803, Jeroboam II dies

c. 792, Zechariah becomes king of Israel

 791, Shallum becomes king of Israel for one month

c. 790, Menahem's first regnal year as king of Israel

c. 780, Pekahiah becomes king of Israel

c. 778, Isaiah begins prophesying / Pekah becomes king of Israel

 777, Jotham becomes king of Judah / Micah begins prophesying

 762, Ahaz becomes king of Judah

c. 758, Hoshea becomes king of Israel

 753, Rome founded (tradition)

 746, Ahaz dies

 745, Hezekiah's first regnal year as king of Judah

(sometime after 745) Hosea written

 742, Samaria besieged

 740, ten-tribe kingdom of Israel falls

 732, Sennacherib attacks Judah

(sometime after 732) Isaiah stops prophesying / Isaiah written

(sometime before 717) Micah written

c. 717, Proverbs compiled

 717, Hezekiah dies

 716, Manasseh becomes king of Judah

 661, Amon becomes king of Judah

 659, Josiah becomes king of Judah

(sometime before 648) Zephaniah written

 647, Jeremiah commissioned

 645, Nabopolassar becomes king of Babylon

(sometime before 632) Nahum written

 632, Nineveh falls

 629, Josiah killed in battle / Pharaoh Necho(h) takes Carchemish / reestablishment of Assyrian Empire fails

c. 628, Habakkuk written

 628, Jehoahaz becomes king of Judah / Jehoiakim becomes king of Judah

 625, battle of Carchemish / Jeremiah has Baruch write prophecies

 624, Baruch reads scroll in temple courtyard / Nebuchadnezzar becomes king of Babylon

 620, Jehoiakim vassal to Nebuchadnezzar

 618, Nebuchadnezzar besieges Jerusalem / Jehoiakim dies

 618-617, Jehoiachin rules, is exiled

 617, Zedekiah becomes king of Judah / first exiles from Jerusalem

 614, Zedekiah and Seraiah to Babylon

 613, Ezekiel commissioned

 612, Ezekiel's vision of false worship in temple

 611, Ezekiel confirms Jerusalem to fall

 609, final siege of Jerusalem begins

 607, Jerusalem falls / Jerusalem destroyed / temple burned / Lamentations written / last exiles from Jerusalem

c. 607, Obadiah written

(sometime after 607) Nebuchadnezzar takes Tyre

c. 606, Nebuchadnezzar's dream of image

 602, Nebuchadnezzar exiles more Jews, conquers Moab and Ammon, and invades Egypt

 593, Ezekiel's vision of future temple

c. 591, Ezekiel written

 580, 1 and 2 Kings written / Jeremiah written

 560, Cyrus the Great becomes king of Persia

 556, Nabonidus becomes king of Babylon

 553, Belshazzar coregent with Nabonidus / Daniel receives vision

 551, Daniel receives vision

 550, Cyrus unites Medes and Persians

 540, Meroë becomes capital of Ethiopia

 539, Cyrus takes Babylon, becomes its king / Daniel receives prophecy of 70 weeks

 538-537, Cyrus decrees release of Jews

 537, Jews repatriated, altar erected

 536, Daniel receives prophecy of kings of north and south / temple foundation laid

c. 536, Daniel written

 530, Cyrus the Great dies

 529, Cambyses II begins rule

 525, Cambyses II subjugates Egypt

 522, Cambyses II dies / Smerdis (Bardiya or Gaumata) usurps Persian throne / ban on temple construction / Darius I (Hystaspis) ascends throne / Darius I (Hystaspis) defeats Nebuchadnezzar III

 521-520, Darius I's first regnal year as king of Babylon

 520, Haggai and Zechariah prophesy / temple building resumed / Haggai written

 518, Zechariah written

 515, temple completed

 496, Xerxes I coregent with father Darius I (Hystaspis)

 490, battle of Marathon, Greece

 486, Darius I (Hystaspis) dies

 484, Ahasuerus (Xerxes I) decrees extermination of Jews

 480, Xerxes I invades Greece / battle at Thermopylae

479, Greeks defeat Persians at Plataea

c. 475, Esther written

 475, Artaxerxes Longimanus ascends throne

 474-473, Artaxerxes Longimanus' first regnal year

 468, Ezra travels to Jerusalem

c. 460, 1 and 2 Chronicles written / Ezra written / Psalms completed

 455, Artaxerxes Longimanus issues command to rebuild Jerusalem and walls / Jerusalem's walls completed

c. 443, Nehemiah returns to Persia

(sometime after 443) Malachi written / Nehemiah written

 424, Artaxerxes Longimanus' reign ends

 423-422, Darius II's first regnal year

 404, Artaxerxes II (Mnemon) becomes king

 358, Artaxerxes III (Ochus) becomes king

 336, Alexander the Great ascends throne

 334, Alexander invades Persia / Alexander defeats Persians at Granicus

 333, Alexander defeats Persians at Issus

 332, Alexander overthrows Tyre / Alexander enters Jerusalem / Alexander conquers Egypt

 331, Alexander defeats Persians at Gaugamela / Persian Empire falls / Alexander enters Babylon

 323, Alexander the Great dies

 301, Alexander's generals in power

 168, Jerusalem's temple desecrated

 167, Maccabean revolt begins / Macedonia conquered by Rome

 165, Jerusalem's temple rededicated

 150, Septuagint completed

 146, Macedonia a Roman province

  63, Jerusalem falls to Rome

  46, Julius Caesar begins rule

  44, Julius Caesar assassinated

  42, victory of Octavius and Mark Antony on Plain of Philippi

c. 39, Herod the Great becomes king of Judaea

  31, Octavius begins rule / Octavius defeats Mark Antony

  30, Octavius conquers Egypt / Rome a world power

  27, Octavius becomes emperor, proclaimed "Augustus"

c. 17, Herod begins to rebuild temple

   3, Gabriel foretells birth of John the Baptizer

   2, Jesus born

   1, Herod the Great dies

C.E.

  14, Tiberius becomes emperor

  28-29, Tiberius' fifteenth year

  29, spring, John the Baptizer begins ministry / fall, Jesus baptized, becomes Christ (Messiah)

  30, Jesus cleanses temple

  31, Jesus gives Sermon on Mount

  32, Jesus attends Festival of Booths / John the Baptizer beheaded

  33, Nisan 7, Jesus travels from Jericho to Bethany / Nisan 8, Jesus arrives in Bethany / Nisan 9, meal at home of Simon; entry into Jerusalem / Nisan 10, Jesus cleanses temple, teaches; Jehovah speaks / Nisan 11, Jesus' ministry in and around Jerusalem / Nisan 12, Jesus in retirement; Judas offers to betray / Nisan 13, Passover preparations / Nisan 15, Pilate permits guards for Jesus' grave / Nisan 16, Jesus resurrected / Sivan 6, Christian congregation founded

c. 34, Saul of Tarsus converted

c. 36, Paul first visits Jerusalem as Christian / Paul taken to Caesarea, sent to Tarsus

  36, Cornelius converted

  37, Caligula (Gaius Caesar) becomes emperor

c. 41, Matthew written / Paul's vision

  41, Caligula assassinated / Claudius becomes emperor / Herod Agrippa I becomes king of all Palestine

  43, Claudius begins conquest of southern Britain

c. 44, Agabus prophesies famine / James (son of Zebedee) martyred / Peter imprisoned, miraculously released

  44, Herod Agrippa I dies

c. 46, foretold famine strikes; Paul brings relief to Jerusalem

c. 47-48, Paul's first missionary tour

c. 47, Paul, Barnabas, and John Mark visit Salamis

c. 49, circumcision issue at Antioch / conference in Jerusalem / territory assignments / Paul begins second missionary tour

c. 49-52, Paul's second missionary tour

c. 49-50, Claudius expels Jews from Rome

c. 50, Luke joins Paul at Troas / Paul's vision of Macedonian man / Paul visits Philippi / Philippian congregation founded / Thessalonian congregation founded / Thessalonians written

c. 50-52, Paul visits Corinth / Galatians written

c. 51, 2 Thessalonians written

c. 52-56, Paul's third missionary tour

c. 52-55, Paul visits Ephesus

  54, Nero begins rule

c. 55, 1 Corinthians written / Titus sent to Corinth / 2 Corinthians written

c. 56, Romans written / Paul resurrects Eutychus in Troas / Paul and Luke stay with Philip in Caesarea / Paul arrested in Jerusalem

c. 56-58, Paul in custody in Caesarea / Luke written

c. 58, Festus succeeds Felix

  58, Herod Agrippa II hears Paul

c. 59, Paul stops at Syracuse

c. 59-61, Paul's first imprisonment in Rome

c. 60-61, Colossians written / Ephesians written / Philemon written / Philippians written

c. 60-65, Mark written

c. 61, Acts written / Hebrews written

c. 61-64, 1 Timothy written / Titus left in Crete / Titus written

(sometime before 62) James written

c. 62, James (brother of Jesus) dies

c. 62-64, 1 Peter written

c. 64, 2 Peter written

  64, Rome burns

c. 65, Paul's second imprisonment in Rome and death / 2 Timothy written / Titus leaves for Dalmatia / Jude written

  66, Jews seize Masada / Jews revolt against Rome / Cestius Gallus attacks Jerusalem, withdraws

  67, Vespasian begins to quell Jewish uprising

  68, Galba becomes emperor

  69, Otho becomes emperor / Vitellius becomes emperor / Vespasian becomes emperor / Titus continues campaign against Jews

  70, Jerusalem destroyed by Romans / temple burned

  73, Masada falls

  79, Titus becomes emperor

  81, Domitian becomes emperor

  96, Nerva becomes emperor / Revelation written

  96-98, John released from exile

c. 98, John written / 1 John written / 2 John written / 3 John written

  98, Trajan becomes emperor

c. 100, John dies

 100, Herod Agrippa II dies

 122, Hadrian begins wall in Britain

 130, Hadrian rebuilds Jerusalem

 132, Jews revolt under Bar Kokhba

 200, Symmachus translates Hebrew Scriptures

c. 245, Origen completes Hexapla

 286, Diocletian begins rule

 303, Diocletian decrees that Christian meeting places be razed and Scriptures burned

 306, Constantine the Great becomes emperor

 321, Constantine decrees Sunday a day of rest

 325, Council of Nicaea

B.C.E.

4026, Adam created

C.E.

 325, Council of Nicaea

So in your estimation, where do the Australian Aboriginals fit into the timeline (archaeology suggests that they have been on this great continent I live on for 40 thousand years).
  • Like 1

So in your estimation, where do the Australian Aboriginals fit into the timeline (archaeology suggests that they have been on this great continent I live on for 40 thousand years).

What do they base this upon?

What do they base this upon?

I'm not certain. I am neither an archaeologist nor an historian. I presume they dug up sites and found evidence in the rock strata, or perhaps were able to use a dating method (carbon dating, for example) to approximate a date. Perhaps aboriginal cave paintings have been analysed to come to that date. I honestly don't know, but the only people who seem to disagree with the forty thousand year date are Creationists who insist the human race can't be older than approximately six thousand years. And since these people approach the question of the Australian Aboriginals with a preconception that whatever else happens it MUST be less than 6000 years, then they have to fit the evidence into that number, not sit back and let the evidence speak for itself. Edited by Paranoid Android

I'm not certain. I am neither an archaeologist nor an historian. I presume they dug up sites and found evidence in the rock strata, or perhaps were able to use a dating method (carbon dating, for example) to approximate a date. Perhaps aboriginal cave paintings have been analysed to come to that date. I honestly don't know, but the only people who seem to disagree with the forty thousand year date are Creationists who insist the human race can't be older than approximately six thousand years. And since these people approach the question of the Australian Aboriginals with a preconception that whatever else happens it MUST be less than 6000 years, then they have to fit the evidence into that number, not sit back and let the evidence speak for itself.

Carbon 14 has a half life of 5,700 years, so carbon dating is only somewhat accurate up to a point. Linen wrapping from the Dead Sea Scrolls, for example, dated to the 1st or 2nd century B.C.E. at 1,900 years. In 1969 a conference was held in Uppsala, Sweden where archaeologists and geologists discussed a dozen flaws in carbon dating. The possibility of contamination by live carbon with dead. From a biblical perspective there is the very real possibility for there having been a change in the atmosphere were carbon levels dramatically changed. Magnetic storms on the sun can increase cosmic rays a thousandfold in a few hours. Volcanic eruptions, even modern day pollution.