Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Murdoch Apologises Over Scarfe Cartoon

Hasina

Rupert Murdoch apologises over Gerald Scarfe cartoon

The cartoon, by Gerald Scarfe, appears to depict Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu building a brick wall containing the blood and limbs of Palestinians.

Scarfe has expressed regret over its publication on Holocaust Memorial Day.

The Board of Deputies of British Jews said it had complained to the Press Complaints Commission.

The cartoon was captioned: "Israeli elections. Will cementing peace continue?"

In a message to the Jewish Chronicle reportedly denying permission to reprint the cartoon, Mr Scarfe is quoted as saying that he "very much regrets" the timing of the cartoon.

He had apparently been unaware that Sunday was Holocaust Memorial Day.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21239917

:rolleyes:

So... He doesn't regret the cartoon - just the timing?...

That's like saying: "I'm sorry I inferred that I think you are a mass murdering nazi - today."

• Like 1

Rupert Murdoch apologises over Gerald Scarfe cartoon

The cartoon, by Gerald Scarfe, appears to depict Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu building a brick wall containing the blood and limbs of Palestinians.

Scarfe has expressed regret over its publication on Holocaust Memorial Day.

The Board of Deputies of British Jews said it had complained to the Press Complaints Commission.

The cartoon was captioned: "Israeli elections. Will cementing peace continue?"

In a message to the Jewish Chronicle reportedly denying permission to reprint the cartoon, Mr Scarfe is quoted as saying that he "very much regrets" the timing of the cartoon.

He had apparently been unaware that Sunday was Holocaust Memorial Day.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21239917

:rolleyes:

Every day should be Holocaust Memorial Day lest we forget humans capacity for inhumanity to humans....

Israel always uses this day as an excuse to further their foreign policy ambitions so I think it's the perfect day to highlight their crimes. Check Haaretz, Netenyahu used that day to claim Iran was planning a Holocaust on Israel. Same sort of nonsense every year, with them profiting politically from the Holocaust Industry.

Israelis truly whine about anything. Kvetching about a cartoon depicting them running a Holocaust on Palestinians is ironic since they are really doing that. It is like they are really saying, "Shh, don't tell the world what we are really doing."

What, not being pleased because someone uses the same kind of imagery as Der Sturmer used to is just whining, is it? At least it didn't show him eating Christian babies, at least, though, so I suppose they ought to be grateful to him for that.

If we were all Jews there would noone left to complain about. I thought cartoons are ok even if they are in poor taste. Or is there a double standard?

• Like 1

If we were all Jews there would noone left to complain about. I thought cartoons are ok even if they are in poor taste. Or is there a double standard?

There sure is, as there is no outcry about the tons of Merkel/Hitler/Nazi imagery portrayed by cartoonists since the beginning of the Euro crisis.

What, not being pleased because someone uses the same kind of imagery as Der Sturmer used to is just whining, is it? At least it didn't show him eating Christian babies, at least, though, so I suppose they ought to be grateful to him for that.

Actually, Scarfe drew a cartoon of Ahmadinejad drinking the blood of a baby. No concerns about that, as far as I know

I don't care about it much, though. Humor is highly subjective, and sometimes being simply tasteless. Public figures should be able to shrug it off, as long as it is in the humour section of a paper.