Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Israel airstrikes in Syria (confirmed)

AsteroidX

Retaliation next? This from the BBC

"Syria has formally complained to the United Nations over a reported Israeli attack within its borders. Syria's army said Israeli jets had targeted a military research centre north-west of Damascus on Wednesday, killing two people and wounding five.

It denied reports that lorries carrying weapons bound for Lebanon were hit. Russia has called the attack unacceptable, while a Syrian official and Iranian deputy minister have suggested there could be retaliation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-21281923

Bet they wont tho!

Assad knows how the script ends, any leader from Milosevic to Saddam who thumb their nose at the globalists and demand their sovereignity instead of taking orders from UN and NATO have their nations destabalized and power transfered to more agreeable leaders.

Assad could very well use this opportunity to attack Israel and draw in others in the region into a larger conflict as a last ditch effort to hold onto his own personal power amidst the chaos.

The chaos is the only thing that could disrupt the script where leaders who don't tow the "internationalist" line are removed in long order, a few sanctions, a few bombings, then send in the peace keepers.

Sovereignity no longer exists, I am not saying it is a bad or good thing, I am just saying it is. Assad can see the writing on the wall. He should just retire in Russia, I would.

Edited by I believe you

Assad knows how the script ends, any leader from Milosevic to Saddam who thumb their nose at the globalists and demand their sovereignity instead of taking orders from UN and NATO have their nations destabalized and power transfered to more agreeable leaders.

Assad could very well use this opportunity to attack Israel and draw in others in the region into a larger conflict as a last ditch effort to hold onto his own personal power amidst the chaos.

The chaos is the only thing that could disrupt the script where leaders who don't tow the "internationalist" line are removed in long order, a few sanctions, a few bombings, then send in the peace keepers.

Sovereignity no longer exists, I am not saying it is a bad or good thing, I am just saying it is. Assad can see the writing on the wall. He should just retire in Russia, I would.

Milosevic wasn’t brought to International court in Hague because he was some hero of anti-globalism, he was anti-civilization if there’s anything anti- that we should necessarily label him with.

Putting that freak into any other context than the only context there was - ethnic cleansing of territories he wanted to assimilate into Greater Serbia and rule over them - is insulting to his victims. And to me personally.

One thing I agree with, Assad should join Milosevics in Russia, since they are apparently willing to house various failed führers and their offspring.

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 2

Milosevic wasn’t brought to International court in Hague because he was some hero of anti-globalism, he was anti-civilization if there’s anything anti- that we should necessarily label him with.

Putting that freak into any other context than the only context there was - ethnic cleansing of territories he wanted to assimilate into Greater Serbia and rule over them - is insulting to his victims. And to me personally.

One thing I agree with, Assad should join Milosevics in Russia, since they are apparently willing to house various failed führers and their offspring.

When it comes to civilization do recall that Serbs were using forks while other European royalty were still eating with their hands and that the Catholic church for years frowned on the fork.

When it comes to civilization do recall that Serbs were using forks while other European royalty were still eating with their hands and that the Catholic church for years frowned on the fork.

what does that mean?

Since when did a Mythical fairy tale become a legal Document..

Since Zionist Israel.

There are many lame excuses for inhumanity, but none of them are as dumb as this one.

• Like 3

Thank you for accepting my view as valid even if you do not fully recognize it, if you did you would know I am against bullies and this is what Israel seems like to me. I know your response that they are surrounded by enemies on the edge of destruction, I disagree, but that response does not recognize a bully is a bully regardless of reasons. The way they harm others does not make me and others feel good. It is not justified. My God does not justify that.

Keep in mind even if you stated my view is a secular one, I am a Christian and worldwide I would guess that more Christians adopt the secular view, as you labeled it, and not the fundamentalist view.

You can label those who do not feel good about Israeli agression as "Israel haters" but that is not exactly accurate and a gross generalization. Some are "agression haters" period.

I used to believe in the prophecies in the same manner as you, I know your view, sadly you do not recognize mine but thanks again for at least stating it was valid even as I know the fundamentalist view is diminishing and I have no issues with further margianalizing it because our world will be more stable when it no longer has cache, soon.

For me God's awesome power is in helping others. When it is unleashed humanity is healed. This includes Palestinians and Israelis.

Your view is different and is about destruction of others.

It would seem to me that throughout the history of Christianity more Christians have seen God as a force of stablization not destruction and the the fundamnetalist view regarding prophecies is a fairly recent innovation and it won't last long. I mean Israel will have to make peace with her neighbors, nothing is going to happen horribly, and people will move on knowing prophecies as politicized and interpreted by fundamentalist were bunk.

Then we indeed disagree but I appreciate you being civil about it. Thanks.
  • Like 1

Imagine if he were to launch a salvo of chemical tipped scuds at Israeli cities in the north. Death toll from an attack where saturation of an area was accomplished could be in the tens of thousands. In such a case how do you think Israel should respond? Keep in mind that "turnaround" for readying to fire a second or third salvo could be counted in minutes.

If we take care of our world and the people in it on the What If principle were doomed.

Edited by AsteroidX

If we take care of our world and the people in it on the What If principle were doomed.

I don't understand? I'm not suggesting anything pre- emptive. And the scenario I just mentioned is all too possible. In fact I spoke of it here a year ago when this all started. Assad is either insane or evil, maybe both. He has proven it for 2 years. If he, in the end, sees them coming for him as they did Gaddafi do you think he would hesitate to have his Alawite allies launch such an attack? He even SAID he would do it - shortly after the civil war began.
  • Like 1

was just a general statement not meant at you directly. The lets react to the "what if" scenario can be applied to many things going on around us.

• Like 1

Reality check: After the breakup of Yugoslavia, the Serbs were on the receiving end of most ethnic cleansing going on. Do the Krajina, Kosovo, and Bosnia ring any bells at all? It is pretty hypocritical to single out Milosevic on one hand and help the KLA on the other.

Reality check: Under the secular Assad regime, the Christian, Jewish, Druze and Shiite minorities in Syria have equal rights and are not harrassed. Are you telling us that will be same once the Muslim Brotherhood/Al Quaeda "freedom fighters" that our governments are so eager to assist, take over?

Really? Can you claim that with a straigh face?

Edited by Zaphod222

This just looks like Israel are trying other means to go to war with Iran. With Iran and Syria's mutual defence treaty, Iran are legally obligated to come to the aid of Syria. Israel would finally have the war they so desperately seek.

Yeah, right. Israel, with all of its barely 7 million people squeezed on 10,000 sqkm, desperately needs to get into a war with 70 million Iranians on 1.700.000 sqkm, with the friendly territories of Syria and Iraq in between. Really???

And by the way, when is the last time that israel`s leaders wowed to "wipe the dirty bacteria" of Iran "off the map?" Then ask your friend Ahmedinejad....

Do you and other people who spout these islamist talking points ever stop to think before typing?

• Like 1

Yeah, right. Israel, with all of its barely 7 million people squeezed on 10,000 sqkm, desperately needs to get into a war with 70 million Iranians on 1.700.000 sqkm, with the friendly territories of Syria and Iraq in between. Really???

And by the way, when is the last time that israel`s leaders wowed to "wipe the dirty bacteria" of Iran "off the map?" Then ask your friend Ahmedinejad....

Do you and other people who spout these islamist talking points ever stop to think before typing?

Israel has been calling for the destruction of Iran since the 90s. Yes, it wants war. Everyone knows it wants war. It openly states it wants war (or for the U.S. to do its dirty-work). Are you seriously trying to deny they want to go to war with Iran (again, with the help of the U.S.)?

And what does the amount of people have to do with military strength? It is barely even a factor in modern warfare.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

Reality check: After the breakup of Yugoslavia, the Serbs were on the receiving end of most ethnic cleansing going on. Do the Krajina, Kosovo, and Bosnia ring any bells at all? It is pretty hypocritical to single out Milosevic on one hand and help the KLA on the other.

Reality check, indeed... here comes one, just for you:

After the breakup of ex-Yugoslavia, and it broke because of Milosevic usurping power, sending his chetnik (fascist paramilitary units) to stage “protests” (let other nations know they will be exterminated if they don’t accept serbification). There was no Yugoslavia from that point on, only Greater Serbia trying to scare or kill any non-Serbs.

Since ex-Yugoslavia was FEDERATION, all CONSTITUTIVE Republics had – as I said - constitutional right to exist, in or out of union. Serbs had their rights guaranteed like any other nations, but they didn’t want equal rights, they wanted their Serbian rights fortified and forced on others.

Since chetniks (fascist Serbian paramilitary) and JNA (Jugoslavenska narodna armija, seized illegally by Serbian leadership and used against any non-Serbian ex-Yu nations) started attacking and ethnically cleansing first Croatia then Bosnia and Herzegovina, it was most natural to expect resistance and self-defence.

After Croatia successfully resisted Serbian aggression, ethnic Serbs from Croatia were organized and in some cases physically forced to leave Croatia with retreating aggressor Serbian army and illegal chetnik units. Documents exist from which it is clear without any shade of doubt that it was Serbian leadership (Martić and co.) that commanded “general evacuation”. Etc.

All Serbs are free to come back to their homes in Croatia, even those who fought against us but were given very general pardon. Only the proven, worst war criminals are not allowed to return but are wanted by our courts. Like “Kapetan Dragan”, who used to pose with human skulls back in the 1990s and today is still sitting in Australian jail, crying he didn’t do anything, begging Australia doesn’t extradite his sorry cowardly ass... *vomits*

Do Vukovar, Ilok, Osijek, Pakrac, Sisak, Kostajnica, Karlovac, Knin, Zadarsko zaleđe, Dubrovnik, ring any bells to you?

Who was engaging artillery, aviation and even old Russian earth-to-earth ballistic projectiles against me personally?

How many Croatian artillery grenades exploded on Serbian soil? None.

How many Serbian grenades exploded on my soil? Countless.

Bosnia... how dare you mention Bosnia, after whole world has heard of Srebrenica massacre and siege of Sarajevo?

Decent Serbs were murdered along with their non-Serbian neighbours too, in Sarajevo turned into killing playgrounds for sick “general” Mladic and his ghouls.

Follow Mladic’s trial if you don’t know what you are talking about. If you do know, then shame on you.

What no one is accused of, so there’s no trial, is ethnically clean Vojvodina (former autonomous province of Serbia), from which Croats were simply tossed out and no one said a word. Vojvodina now has Serbian majority and it wasn’t even part of Serbia few decades ago.

Why don’t you bring that up?

Kosovo was Greater Serbian playground since end of WWII. Not to elaborate, this post is already too long.

So not only Milosevic must be singled out as the most destructive psychotic saboteur ever recorded in history of ex-Yu, he must be singled out as the key figure in Serbian ethnic cleansing project.

Now I’m ready to get back on topic but I will keep an eye on these disgraceful attempts to whitewash Serbian fascist aggression from the 1990s.

Reality check: Under the secular Assad regime, the Christian, Jewish, Druze and Shiite minorities in Syria have equal rights and are not harrassed. Are you telling us that will be same once the Muslim Brotherhood/Al Quaeda "freedom fighters" that our governments are so eager to assist, take over?

Really? Can you claim that with a straigh face?

So, the majority must suffer a dictatorship because minorities had a deal with the dictator?

I don’t think so. It works the other way around:

Help the FSA, make it clear to them how important human rights are and how important it is for them, FSA, to secure existence for the minorities too. That’s the only logical way that will give lasting result for everyone instead of deals for some. Exclusive rights are never a good idea. As you could have noticed by now, from ex-Yu example.

Will something be same or not, better or worse, is in the hands of Syrians. It is their country and their right to pick their own leadership.

I can like or dislike their choice, but it is their choice.

Al Qaida, the contemporary bogeyman, is obviously a tool – obvious from seemingly contradictive actions they take in different countries.

So I’m not worried with Al Qaida puppet itself, I’m worried about strategy their financiers and true bosses are about to apply.

And that is not decided in the Syrian field, even if Al-Q was influential among FSA, that is decided in the same offices from which crocodile tears are spilt for minorities.

I care about minorities, but their existence won’t be secured by asking majority to shut up and let obvious psychopath exterminate any opposition.

Yes, really.

Now you elaborate why shouldn’t I.

Edited by Helen of Annoy

I wonder what the left/liberal treehuggers of the Ustaše would think of the situation in Syria. Perhaps they sit in cafe with their Chetnik friends and discuss over countless cups of coffee into the late night, then make their way home arm in arm. Such nice people those Ustaše and Chetniks :)

I wonder what the left/liberal treehuggers of the Ustaše would think of the situation in Syria. Perhaps they sit in cafe with their Chetnik friends and discuss over countless cups of coffee into the late night, then make their way home arm in arm. Such nice people those Ustaše and Chetniks :)

:lol:

Thank you, Aten.

You see, there’s this horrible historic forgery attempt, being peddled lately by extreme nationalist Serbian circles – they wish to make Chetniks suddenly anti-fascists, which is, of course, impossible, since there are vast archives of photos of Chetniks kissing German butts in WWII, complete with Serbian “prince” Pavle riding in Mercedes with Hitler himself. How anti-fascist of him.

So it’s nice to hear you know Chetniks were fascist collaborators, much like Ustashe.

Their attempt to switch sides by the end of WWII was successful, unlike Ustashe attempt to switch sides and join the Allies. Ustashe were physically exterminated, Chetniks pardoned and incorporated into Tito's partisan units. Thanks to both Churchill and Stalin. And that was the beggining of ex-Yugoslavia's end.

Now, I obviously love to comb through WWII, but shouldn’t we go back to Syria?

There’s WWIII about to break out there, certainly that’s a good excuse to leave Serbian princes and their undying shame alone for a moment?

Thank you, Aten.

You see, there’s this horrible historic forgery attempt, being peddled lately by extreme nationalist Serbian circles – they wish to make Chetniks suddenly anti-fascists, which is, of course, impossible, since there are vast archives of photos of Chetniks kissing German butts in WWII, complete with Serbian “prince” Pavle riding in Mercedes with Hitler himself. How anti-fascist of him.

So it’s nice to hear you know Chetniks were fascist collaborators, much like Ustashe.

Their attempt to switch sides by the end of WWII was successful, unlike Ustashe attempt to switch sides and join the Allies. Ustashe were physically exterminated, Chetniks pardoned and incorporated into Tito's partisan units. Thanks to both Churchill and Stalin. And that was the beggining of ex-Yugoslavia's end.

There’s WWIII about to break out there, certainly that’s a good excuse to leave Serbian princes and their undying shame alone for a moment?

Perhaps, Helen, but sometimes a history lesson is a valuable thing as well. Thanks for sharing.

Israel has been calling for the destruction of Iran since the 90s. Yes, it wants war. Everyone knows it wants war. It openly states it wants war (or for the U.S. to do its dirty-work). Are you seriously trying to deny they want to go to war with Iran (again, with the help of the U.S.)?

And what does the amount of people have to do with military strength? It is barely even a factor in modern warfare.

Sometimes I wonder that Isreal should just get it over and done with,but maybe shouldn't be too surprised if the Iranians don't turn out to be the expected walk over that Tel Aviv may be thinking.

Sometimes I wonder that Isreal should just get it over and done with,but maybe shouldn't be too surprised if the Iranians don't turn out to be the expected walk over that Tel Aviv may be thinking.

Actually, Israel has one of the best intel groups around and has NEVER wanted to go it alone in what they consider a truly existential threat from a nutjob regime. But since Oby is not going to help, Bibi finally admitted a couple days ago that Israel could severely damage Tehran's plans but only the US could make the damage enough to be worth the effort. I don't believe the CT's about pipelines and takeovers and such. But one has to be a bit of a dim bulb to just ignore the rhetoric and actions of the regime in Tehran over the past 3 decades. A joint strike by Israel and the US - or just by the US and Iran's nuke facilities would be utterly ruined. They would possess no navy of any kind and no airforce. Any Republican Guards who were at home on the bases or who were clustered together densely would be enjoying their new time with virgins.

On the other hand though..... Tel Aviv, Haifa and possibly even Jerusalem would be having thousands of funerals. US embassies around the world as well as shops, bars, libraries and any other place Americans are known to congregate would become targets of opportunity for people who, while they've not declared war on anyone for a few hundred years, are pretty darned efficient at murder of innocents (practice makes perfect ) ... and then of course there would be the cells within the US that would be activated. Nothing on the scale of 9-11 I think, but far more terrorizing due to the widespread randomness. A mall here, an airliner there, a Lakers game.... you get the picture. The Swiss cheese security we have would be really embarrassing for homeland security. I can only imagine what freedoms they'd want next to promise us security.

No, I really don't think Israel wants war with Iran. I KNOW America doesn't. But we didn't want WWI or WWII either.

Actually, Israel has one of the best intel groups around and has NEVER wanted to go it alone in what they consider a truly existential threat from a nutjob regime. But since Oby is not going to help, Bibi finally admitted a couple days ago that Israel could severely damage Tehran's plans but only the US could make the damage enough to be worth the effort. I don't believe the CT's about pipelines and takeovers and such. But one has to be a bit of a dim bulb to just ignore the rhetoric and actions of the regime in Tehran over the past 3 decades. A joint strike by Israel and the US - or just by the US and Iran's nuke facilities would be utterly ruined. They would possess no navy of any kind and no airforce. Any Republican Guards who were at home on the bases or who were clustered together densely would be enjoying their new time with virgins.

On the other hand though..... Tel Aviv, Haifa and possibly even Jerusalem would be having thousands of funerals. US embassies around the world as well as shops, bars, libraries and any other place Americans are known to congregate would become targets of opportunity for people who, while they've not declared war on anyone for a few hundred years, are pretty darned efficient at murder of innocents (practice makes perfect ) ... and then of course there would be the cells within the US that would be activated. Nothing on the scale of 9-11 I think, but far more terrorizing due to the widespread randomness. A mall here, an airliner there, a Lakers game.... you get the picture. The Swiss cheese security we have would be really embarrassing for homeland security. I can only imagine what freedoms they'd want next to promise us security.

No, I really don't think Israel wants war with Iran. I KNOW America doesn't. But we didn't want WWI or WWII either.

Israel is all about defying international law and going rogue. They're the poster child of unilateralism. Israel is a militarized police state, what it values is opposed to any America I would ever consider tolerating. We are not the United States of Israel. We didn't have a single Zionist Jew found our country. We have a separation of church and state and we can't make exceptions to that because someone has a special oil interest wrapped up in Jewish wrapping paper 7,000 miles away from this country. Yes we shower Israel in special treatment, but subsidizing something so deranged and anti-American makes no sense. The Holocaust guilt trip has about another 10 years or so and it's not going to work on our people anymore, despite how valiantly some nuttier Americans are allowing their kids to be indoctrinated by Zionist propaganda.

The history is crystal clear. The US saved Europe from Nazi aggression and Stalinist ambition. For what little gratitude a bankrupt Europe has left, we're the last people on earth that should wear Holocaust guilt on our consciences. Israel should be sending us billion dollar checks every year to thank us for saving the white European transplants who grew up into these little Nazis today, not the other way around.

Israel has been lying about Iran for years now and they're still at it. We've got the economic clamps down on Iran based on those lies, and it seems to me we have convinced our Israeli puppets that it's necessary to strangle a power the size of Iran for a long time before we attempt military attacks. The bombing campaign of Iran would follow years of crippling sanctions and would necessarily be much longer and larger than other nations we've shamelessly bombed. So the end of the rainbow ground invasion and how many troops would be necessary is a nice discussion for someone who would actually consider such a nut idea. Who knows how many Iranians are losing their lives over our statist force control of free markets.

As I've said numerous times since late 2010, and as "Bibi" has only now admitted today, Israel wasn't going to attack Iran because their military is impotent to do any meaningful damage whatsoever. They need US power for that, and who knows what evil the twin nutters Obama and Netanyahu have agreed to behind closed doors. Markets should be free, not in chains. When trade ends, war begins. These sanctions are an act of war on Iran who has done nothing to deserve them.

• Like 2

Fear the 7 million! They want to take over the world..... :w00t: Or maybe, just maybe, they'd only like to live in peace ON THEIR OWN LAND.

• Like 1

Thank you, Aten.

No WWIII about to happen because of Syria, or Iran. There are people who post here who are intelligent and informed, yet some have blind spots and are rather disingenuous, particulary about Russia interests in the region. Russia has very good relations with Israel, and in recent years IDF has been to Russia to take part in major military exercises, not something ever granted to Syria. Russia is genuinely trying to be an honest broker in this tragedy, yet malicious people in west constantly poison minds with obfuscation and total lies because they have some neanderthal cold war atavistic hatred of Russia. Possible to tell these people here because they simply scream anti-Russian nonsense without offering any rational argument. It has been clear to me for some time that some posters here want blood and death in Syria. To paint Assad as a new Hitler is childish, and to support, seemingly without any intelligent thought to the matter, obvious terrorists, is disgusting given that some of these "freedom fighters" will happily kill you in your bed. Short terminism and knee jerk stupidy seem to rule here. BTW, because you and I, and a few others here know history of Balkans, does not mean others do. So, perhaps in interests of reality you should have explained who Ustashe and Chetniks were, and who Tito was. And just what, in this photo, were those two discussing? ........ You paint black and white picture, but all was grey splashed with red of blood.

e221ba8331de.gif

• Like 1

No WWIII about to happen because of Syria, or Iran. There are people who post here who are intelligent and informed, yet some have blind spots and are rather disingenuous, particulary about Russia interests in the region. Russia has very good relations with Israel, and in recent years IDF has been to Russia to take part in major military exercises, not something ever granted to Syria. Russia is genuinely trying to be an honest broker in this tragedy, yet malicious people in west constantly poison minds with obfuscation and total lies because they have some neanderthal cold war atavistic hatred of Russia. Possible to tell these people here because they simply scream anti-Russian nonsense without offering any rational argument. It has been clear to me for some time that some posters here want blood and death in Syria. To paint Assad as a new Hitler is childish, and to support, seemingly without any intelligent thought to the matter, obvious terrorists, is disgusting given that some of these "freedom fighters" will happily kill you in your bed. Short terminism and knee jerk stupidy seem to rule here. BTW, because you and I, and a few others here know history of Balkans, does not mean others do. So, perhaps in interests of reality you should have explained who Ustashe and Chetniks were, and who Tito was. And just what, in this photo, were those two discussing? ........ You paint black and white picture, but all was grey splashed with red of blood.

e221ba8331de.gif

This post of yours is nice example why I don’t want Russia meddling in my part of the world in any conceivable way.

You are willing to call it all grey because it suits you, not because it actually is all grey.

How can an aggression on sovereign country be grey on both sides? How can disparity (Serbs armed to their teeth and everyone else with pitchforks or home-made guns) be grey?

Ex-Yugoslavia is clear as day, no grey areas. There was the aggressor, Serbia, and there were the attacked, Croatia and Bosnia&Herzegovina.

The very fact that we have been able to win proves who was in wrong – aggressions rarely succeed, while justified defence is almost always unbreakable, though it sometimes takes long time to get rid of the aggressor. Or inept leaders like the guy in the photo was.

You might want Serbian expansionism accepted as something benign, but wishful thinking won’t change the facts, now proven by ICTY in Hague too.

Note that Croats involved in crimes linked to attempts to break B&H were sentenced, while Croats who defended their own country were cleared of charges. Which brings me to Tuđman *rolleyes* who was doing everything wrong, whose party robbed Croatia undisturbed by war, hiding behind verbal-only patriotism.

I see either ignorance of the actual situation, either deliberate malevolence in attempt to reduce Croatian cause to Tuđman.

Who was he, except the wrong man in the wrong place in the wrong time? My grandmother could have led the country better than him, and his clumsy, old school Stalinist way of thinking is the only reason why Serbia almost squeezed some gain out their expansionist attempts.

Old communist general whose blunders are recognized and scorned by general public in Croatia. Is it the same across the border, in Serbia? Can average Serb reject the politics of Milosevic that is still their official stance?

In short, Aten, you can come to my house as a guest, but if you are coming armed, singing “Milosevic, send us salad, we’ll take care of meat, we will slaughter Croats” you bet I won’t call it grey and accept it peacefully.

I will also not accept silly ideas of small political body still existing in Croatia, mostly comprised of B&H born citizens, who wish to pact with Serbs in order to split B&H in half. No. Their home towns are in B&H and that will stay that way. Better luck in next reincarnation, but my country will not make aggressor of herself to suit their complexes.

What a perverted idea.

I guess now you have clearer picture of the situation and therefore you might begin to realize you shouldn’t think the fringe opinion of one guy you have met on UM is the official and widely accepted political stance in Croatia. It is exactly the opposite.

General population in Croatia is not interested in expansionism and our capital is Zagreb, not Mostar. Croatia will never enter deals with expansionist Serbia and she will never be part of Russian sphere of influence. Some people from Herzegovina could be bribed with prospect of Herzegovina being annexed by Croatia, but there are still more Croatian Croats to decide upon Croatian borders and pacts.

Croatia is NATO member and we are about to finally enter the EU, soon enough. That is the will of the very convincing majority of Croatian citizens in real life, so you can rest occasional internet oddities aside.

Ustashe and Chetniks, since you insist, started as patriotic resistance movements but both evolved into sinister, ultra-nationalist paramilitary organizations that chose wrong side to pact with in WWII.

Ustashe were actually pushed by Mussolini’s Italy while Chetniks were British baby, since they were Serbian royalists. And that’s why it couldn’t possibly end up well, since Serbian “kings” are invention of old school British politics, not real nobility with any real backup to their claims of territories outside Serbia, plus their claim on very Serbia is more than dubious, but I call it internal Serbian matter. If they want imaginary kings back, it’s their problem, thank god and NATO, not mine.

The absolute historic delicacy is the Chetnik collaboration with the Nazis, if you bear in mind they were the British favourites. Another hilarious fact is Stalin’s choice of Serbs because of the Orthodox connection. It’s so utterly insane you simply cannot crowbar it in officially accepted history versions.

And to make it more interesting, there comes Tito, leader of communists, simple peasant child who played piano, spoke foreign languages better than his own mother’s tongue, who was deemed retarded by his former KuK officers, establishes insanely good connections with the British and sweeps the royalist competition away.

Only one small concession he had to make: the Serbian dominance in his future quasi-socialist conglomerate kingdom... err... federation.

Ex-Yugoslavia was the cat flap in the Iron Curtain, no wonder many miss it even today, for purely sentimental reasons. “Back in my day, when everything was upside-down...” Well, not any more. Svaka sila za vremena. (Each force only for a while.)

What is has to do with Syria?

Philosophically everything, practically nothing.

So there’s Syria with majority that doesn’t want Assad anymore. I expect Russia to finish their bargaining process already and remove him. I understand it’s sensitive area, important client etc. but it has to come to an end already.

I see possibility of WWIII not because Russia is involved, but because everyone is involved, meaning there are too many sides in the field, each with its own interests that – of course – are overlapping and clashing.

I trust there are talks and negotiations away from public eyes and I hope these will yield results soon. What worries me is the possibility of unsynchronized one-sided actions that could escalate and make the conflict even more complicated and uncontrolled.

So far it was controlled, sadly.

I believe geostrategic matters have nothing to do with the moral principles (see the ex-Yu example to understand why I think the way I do), so you don’t have to froth about hated Russia, your country is not good or evil since countries possess no anthropomorphic qualities in my opinion, Russia is simply political and economic entity involved in the situation.

If it was only up to Russia, it would end by now, I suppose.

But it’s not, luckily for Syrians, because for some dictators, Milosevics and Assads, word “peace” apparently can mean the peace of graveyards.

Edit: aw, what a typo :lol: "What it has to do with Syria?", obviously.

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 1

This: I see possibility of WWIII not because Russia is involved, but because everyone is involved, meaning there are too many sides in the field, each with its own interests that – of course – are overlapping and clashing.

I trust there are talks and negotiations away from public eyes and I hope these will yield results soon. What worries me is the possibility of unsynchronized one-sided actions that could escalate and make the conflict even more complicated and uncontrolled.

So far it was controlled, sadly.

IMO you have explained the problem as accurately and succinctly as can be done. The danger is that Russia will miscalculate in their maneuvering and another actor will blow the whole thing up unexpectedly. ENOUGH already! Damn whoever is playing with these poor people's lives. And I DO mean ANYONE -including my own government.

• Like 1