Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gym Advice

Mr Right Wing

Does anybody here have a lot of gym experience?

I returned to my gym two weeks ago after a few months away. I had an assessment from my fitness trainer which says I'm 220Ibs and 5"9. My new fitness program is high intensity cardio with strength training. It consists of the following three times a week -

1 x 10 minute Rowing machine (warmup at maximum setting)

3 x 15 minute Exercise bike at 30-40 kmph (This isnt programmed with hills in its set at high resistance all the way).

3 x 12 Abb machine (Currently at 40kg)

3 x 12 Bicep and chest machine (Currently at 60kg)

3 x 12 Tricep and back machine (Currently at 40kg)

3 x 20 Leg Press (Currently set at 160kg)

I'm 32 and my understanding is I'm passed the age at which I can grow. Is that right? I'm asking because over the last two weeks I've grown 5 inches to 6"2. It isnt better posture its my legs which have gone huge from the exercise bike (I think its the bike). My leg press has also gone up to 190kg. My diet has changed if its important from three set meals per day to one very large evening meal. On gym days this is after I've returned home from my exercise. It consists of 1-2 pints of whole milk, 200-500 grams of lean meat (depending on what my meal is) and lots of fruit everyday. I also take a Centrum Advance.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Does anybody here have a lot of gym experience?

I returned to my gym two weeks ago after a few months away. I had an assessment from my fitness trainer which says I'm 220Ibs and 5"9. My new fitness program is high intensity cardio with strength training. It consists of the following three times a week -

1 x 10 minute Rowing machine (warmup at maximum setting)

3 x 15 minute Exercise bike at 30-40 kmph (This isnt programmed with hills in its set at high resistance all the way).

3 x 12 Abb machine (Currently at 40kg)

3 x 12 Bicep and chest machine (Currently at 60kg)

3 x 12 Tricep and back machine (Currently at 40kg)

3 x 20 Leg Press (Currently set at 160kg)

I'm 32 and my understanding is I'm passed the age at which I can grow. Is that right? I'm asking because over the last two weeks I've grown three inches to 6"2. It isnt better posture its my legs which have gone huge from the exercise bike (I think its the bike). My diet has changed if its important from three set meals per day to one very large evening meal. On gym days this is after I've returned home from my exercise. It consists of 1-2 pints of whole milk, 200-500 grams of lean meat (depending on what my meal is) and lots of fruit everyday. I also take a Centrum Advance.

I work at a gym and if you went from 5'9 to 6'2 that is 5 inches and is impossible at any age in 2 weeks lol,unless you just had horrible posture.Not saying you are telling a story i think someone mis measured drastically!

I work at a gym and if you went from 5'9 to 6'2 that is 5 inches and is impossible at any age in 2 weeks lol,unless you just had horrible posture.Not saying you are telling a story i think someone mis measured drastically!

So you say growth is impossible?

The reason why I adopted starvation then a big meal in the evening is I read it makes your HGH rocket.

Sure you weren't put on a rack during those two weeks? :w00t: I kid... I don't think it's possible for a human to gain 5 inches in height even at the peak of growth spurt. Could be some mis-measure, could also be you really are walking taller.

And from a nutrition point of view... You are way not doing yourself any favors. I could lecture about it, but it would probably go into the realm of advice that breaks the rules on these forums.

But I will say you need to eat more often during the day, and with a variety of veggies and grains as well as your fruit and proteins and fats to keep your body healthy, especially if you are participating in serious exercise regularly.

So you say growth is impossible?

The reason why I adopted starvation then a big meal in the evening is I read it makes your HGH rocket.

No not saying growth is impossible,because even if you dont look like you have bad posture if you have been sedintary for awhile the muscles can atrophy and or all pull tightly and once working them again can expand to the point you will be a bit taller.5 inches in 2 weeks though and you might need to see a doctor.You can boost hgh but at 32 most of you bones are already set i have known athletes who use hgh and mainly only there hands,feet and skull continue to grow similar to acromegaly.

No not saying growth is impossible,because even if you dont look like you have bad posture if you have been sedintary for awhile the muscles can atrophy and or all pull tightly and once working them again can expand to the point you will be a bit taller.5 inches in 2 weeks though and you might need to see a doctor.You can boost hgh but at 32 most of you bones are already set i have known athletes who use hgh and mainly only there hands,feet and skull continue to grow similar to acromegaly.

Even if some of it is posture I must have grown and my legs are clearly longer just by looking at them.

Sure you weren't put on a rack during those two weeks? :w00t: I kid... I don't think it's possible for a human to gain 5 inches in height even at the peak of growth spurt. Could be some mis-measure, could also be you really are walking taller.

And from a nutrition point of view... You are way not doing yourself any favors. I could lecture about it, but it would probably go into the realm of advice that breaks the rules on these forums.

But I will say you need to eat more often during the day, and with a variety of veggies and grains as well as your fruit and proteins and fats to keep your body healthy, especially if you are participating in serious exercise regularly.

Lets hear your diet comments.

I'm not running a calorie deficient as my meal is large and I'm getting all my vitamins. Why is one large meal worse than 3 regular?

Not sure man stranger things have happened,but if you have continued growth that you notice in your bones at 32 over the next few weeks go see a doctor.

I'm not running a calorie deficient as my meal is large and I'm getting all my vitamins. Why is one large meal worse than 3 regular?

I myself eat 6 smaller meals throughout the day,smaller meals through the day keep blood sugar regulated and does not put as much strain on the digestive system at one time

I myself eat 6 smaller meals throughout the day,smaller meals through the day keep blood sugar regulated and does not put as much strain on the digestive system at one time

If you were trying to boost metabolism for weight loss that would be a good diet plan.

But your insulin levels would be elevated for longer periods and its insulin which regulates HGH release. I've read that 18 hours into starvation a mans HGH is at about 2000% and a womans 1500%. So I eat one evening meal per day. Its a massive meal and takes me an hour to get through it.

At 32 I still bet starvation has my HGH many times above that what a 16 year old has.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

A example today i have had

meal 1- oatmeal,2 egg whites,protien shake

meal 2-sweet potato,small steak

meal 3-salad,with chunks of chicken breast

snack-protien shake,trail mix

meal-salmon steak,sweet potato with real honey

snack-protien shake,whatever is low in carbs and fat

sorry took so long at work right now lol

Flamethrower_5.jpg

'Ealdwita deals with local gym'

If you were trying to boost metabolism for weight loss that would be a good diet plan.

But your insulin levels would be elevated for longer periods and its insulin which regulates HGH release. I've read that 18 hours into starvation a mans HGH is at about 2000% and a womans 1500%. So I eat one evening meal per day. Its a massive meal and takes me an hour to get through it.

Im 6'0 210-215 this is the way i always eat,i usually do 45 min on heavy bag,1 hour 30 min training,and 1 hour weights 3 days a week and weights and cardio of some sort 5 days a week.

Flamethrower_5.jpg

'Ealdwita deals with local gym'

Hahaha

Im 6'0 210-215 this is the way i always eat,i usually do 45 min on heavy bag,1 hour 30 min training,and 1 hour weights 3 days a week and weights and cardio of some sort 5 days a week.

Are you up to trying all food in 1 meal after your workout for a few weeks?

No bull I've grown.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Are you up to trying all food in 1 meal for a few weeks?

No bull I've grown.

I will give it a shot at some point,but will have to be when i have no one to train for a bit.I couldnt imagine getting ready for a fight or even helping others train and putting my body through that haha.

any particular reason you are working out?just to get back in shape?Because if going for power lifting i would not suggest my diet lol

It's not all about the calories.. It's also about how your body processes things. Would you stoke up a furnace with 24 hours worth of wood and expect it to kick out the same heat and consume wood at the same rate for the entire 24 hours?

I'm curious, what is your point in all of this? Are you trying to get taller? Or is this just some side effect you are noticing? Are you just trying to get healthier, or put on muscle mass?

I will give it a shot at some point,but will have to be when i have no one to train for a bit.I couldnt imagine getting ready for a fight or even helping others train and putting my body through that haha.

any particular reason you are working out?just to get back in shape?Because if going for power lifting i would not suggest my diet lol

I want to do the half marathon this year and build some strength.

I dont bother with the treadmill as the exercike bike seems to make me fitter and give me more stamina. I'm quite fit as it is but this is me returning to the gym after a few months away.

The diet thing is just something I've been trying after reading about life extension being caused by your body going into starvation mode.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Oh ok just dont stay eating that way for to extended period of time,the body can only absorb so much nutrients at one time even if someone is taking ped's.I mainly do a mix of heavybag,plyometrics,sparring,and running for my endurance crosstraining pretty much.

• Like 1

If you ever have any questions just ask,i will help if i can.