Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wristwatch To Combat Sexual Violence in India

Render

In the wake of a brutal string of gang-rapes of female bus passengers — one in New Delhi and one in Gurdaspur — Indian officials have unveiled a new weapon they’re hoping can help combat violence against women.

Kapil Sibal, minister of information technology, announced last week that the Center for Development of Advanced Computing, a unit within the Indian government’s Department of Electronics and Information Technology, plans to make a watch that can alert authorities and family members if danger is at hand.

The watch would be equipped with a button that sends a text message to the nearest police station and chosen relatives. A GPS system within the device will help pinpoint the wearer’s location. The watch will also feature a built-in video camera that will be activated and record for 30 minutes once the button is pushed.

http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear-and-gadgets/wristwatch-combat-sexual-violence-india-130129.htm

Just make sure you don't accidently push the button trying to reset the time, or shut off a timed alarm....

• Like 1

Hmm, good idea in principle. Of course a determined attacker will recognise the watch for what it is and it will be the first thing removed from the victim. At the very least, if they are able to activate it for even a moment, they will have their last known location recorded and time.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

If these things aren't cheap I'm wondering how many women will be able to afford them.

Or, you know, you could try and do something about a culture that sees rape as something the victim is responsible for.

Nah, lets give them a magic watch instead.

• Like 2

Or, you know, you could try and do something about a culture that sees rape as something the victim is responsible for.

Nah, lets give them a magic watch instead.

But is already better than saying "women can't wear jeans and tshirts because those are clothes for a whore".

So, a step forward? I dno, i hope so.

Theres better ideas then a watch. Next theyll want to put a chip in there arm.

What are better ideas then?

Even if there are more stricter laws in place condeming this, it wont just suddenly come a halt... so what ideas are there to stop rape from taking place?

We have the same problem in America. But decreasing the genepool of these sickos would be where I started. Especially when it comes to young children.

We are way too lenient on these predators !!

I like this watch idea if it will help and most likely will. Of course there will be humorous backfiring for those who hit it by accident when in a compromising situation.