Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More than just a starry, starry night?

Still Waters

A RESIDENT of a small NSW country town says he regularly sees strange lights in the sky that he believes are UFOs.

Damien Nott, 33, moved to Dunedoo, north of Mudgee, last year to refurbish the property that used to belong to his grandparents.

Since then, he has been filming the lights, which have also been seen by members of his family.

Mariana Flynn, the president of UFO Research NSW, visited Mr Nott two weeks ago to observe firsthand what he was seeing.

http://www.smh.com.a...0126-2ddh1.html

A RESIDENT of a small NSW country town says he regularly sees strange lights in the sky that he believes are UFOs.

Damien Nott, 33, moved to Dunedoo, north of Mudgee, last year to refurbish the property that used to belong to his grandparents.

Since then, he has been filming the lights, which have also been seen by members of his family.

Mariana Flynn, the president of UFO Research NSW, visited Mr Nott two weeks ago to observe firsthand what he was seeing.

http://www.smh.com.a...0126-2ddh1.html

Wow. I have taken pictures and video

of the same types that they show from :47-1:00

Wow. I have taken pictures and video

of the same types that they show from :47-1:00

Post 'em.

Too bad we can't get much from those. How would you describe what you were filming?

Like a long band of light or cigar shape. There was lights moving back and forth, you cant really see it in the video though. It stood in that very spot for several minutes. There was another one to the left but I guess the camera couldnt pick it up because of its distance.

The ones in the picture they moved oddly as if they were skipping. I would see it in one place, it would disappear and appear in a different position. 3 of them where doing this while the other 2 seemed to remain stationary.

Too bad we can't get much from those. How would you describe what you were filming?

Is this a better picture?

post-100283-0-17329100-1359762314_thumb.

Edited by Dr. Mrdad

this

They're short vapor trails lit by the setting sun.

The video and the picture wasnt taken in the same year and trust me they weren't sun lit vapor trails. I know the difference between the two. If they were, then they must be some smart ass clouds to move the way they did.

They indeed look exactly like short vapour trails lit by the sun. And yes, they can be quite impressive looking and 'unexplainable' if you haven't seen them before.

They are the right shape, the Sun's in the right place, they seem to be moving within the right sort of angular velocity range - ie behind the moving aircraft - even though it's difficult to tell on such low-quality footage.

Please be specific, MrDad, what was the 'smart ass' movement, precisely? Was that the only 'difference between the two'? If not, what other things applied that made them impossible to be vapour trails? If it was the 'skipping', haven't you ever seen that effect when an aircraft is travelling through variable conditions? It's quite common for the trails to vanish and reappear in short bursts as the conditions change - for *exactly* the same reason that cirrus clouds often look like ripples of sand..

As for the OP, am I missing something rather flamin' obvious - he says he has footage.. Um, where would that be?

They indeed look exactly like short vapour trails lit by the sun. And yes, they can be quite impressive looking and 'unexplainable' if you haven't seen them before.

They are the right shape, the Sun's in the right place, they seem to be moving within the right sort of angular velocity range - ie behind the moving aircraft - even though it's difficult to tell on such low-quality footage.

Please be specific, MrDad, what was the 'smart ass' movement, precisely? Was that the only 'difference between the two'? If not, what other things applied that made them impossible to be vapour trails? If it was the 'skipping', haven't you ever seen that effect when an aircraft is travelling through variable conditions? It's quite common for the trails to vanish and reappear in short bursts as the conditions change - for *exactly* the same reason that cirrus clouds often look like ripples of sand..

The 'smart ass' movements they were making where obviously that of a an intelligently controlled craft. The way they appeared is what astonished me. Literally like a flash of light. One after another. They where appearing in the sky. Within the frame of 20 seconds they all appeared one after another. One had a circular shape and the only way to describe the other 5 would be as a band of light. Two of the "bands of light" began moving in a way where I called it skipping. It would appear one place and as I am looking at it, it would disappear and reappear in a total difference position in the sky not even relative to how a plane would travel. Simply unpredictable positioning in the sky and as they where making these astonishing maneuvers the other three appeared to be moving at dead slow rate. Then one out of three that where moving dead slow started to do this skipping maneuver as well. At that point I realized they werent vapor trails and tryed to take as much pictures as I could.

The difference between the two sightings is that the object in the video remained stationary in the sky. It didn't move out of its position. There was three of them only one appeared on the camera. These band of lights just stood there dead in the sky and close enough for me to see the light moving back and forth with in the band. I watched it for about 5 min before I decided it was worth trying to record. After putting down my Phone down I turned away for a few seconds and when I came back they were gone. I mean like 45 second and all three where gone. The ones in the picture couldve have been the same crafts because they looked very similar but they did not behave in the same manner. The ones in the picture 3 out of the 5 of were moving around or skipping as I like to say, while 2 of them remained stationary for sometime. This sighting happened in about a 6 min time frame. Out of the 3 that where skipping, one just simply kept skipping away in the direction of south east(relative to the picture) across the sky. Then out of the 2 remaining one skipped its way heading north. The last moving band of light was now skipping its way eastward. Then out of 2 that remained 1 began doing the same skipping maneuver south bound but at a much slower rate until it was out of sight. Then the last remain band of light moved eastward until it was out of sight, what was odd is that the last one did not skip. It simply glided across the sky until it was out of sight. I was so busy watching the bands of light I didnt pay attention to what happened with the circular object.

I have seen vapor trails and have seen the effects that aircrafts produce in the sky in variable conditions. I have lived on the top floor all my life and I live close to an airport so I see these effects everyday. I have an amazing view of the sky. I have been sky watching for many years now. I know the difference. I know how easily airplanes and jets can be confused for UFO's trust me I know. But when it comes to what was seen that that day or those two specific occasions. I know those weren't vapor trails, clouds, jets or a plane. These where not objects of human origin by my conclusion. How they moved was beyond explanation, it one of those things you would have to see for yourself.

I was also able to take a picture last year of 2 similar bands of light accompanied by a triangular craft. I will upload it as well. You will have to save the picture and view on photo viewer and when you zoom in.. well.. you will see its exact shape for yourself. I never noticed it myself until I was looking at pictures for close ups on the crafts. I will still put a zoomed picture of it here. I will also upload a better picture of the 6 crafts.

gallery_100283_8_213727.jpg

Here is the same photo zoomed.

gallery_100283_8_85813.jpg

Here is another photo non zoomed where you can see 6 of them

gallery_100283_8_398702.jpg

Here is the photo zoomed

gallery_100283_9_40644.jpg

I'm not sorry that the pictures arent of better quality because my cell phone camera was all I had at the time. A blackberry 9100. I have more pictures if you want. These photo where taken in brooklyn ny on 10/19/10, 10 sec apart.

Edited by Dr. Mrdad

Here the other picture I was speaking. The one with the band of light with the triangular craft

Here is the original with no exposure adjustment or zoom.

gallery_100283_9_328967.jpg

Here is a close up. You can see it is 3 crafts, 2 of which are similar to the ones in previous photo provided. One it next to the triangular craft and one is emerging from the tree line.

gallery_100283_8_80690.jpg

Here is a closer picture of the band of light with the triangular craft.

gallery_100283_8_58363.jpg

And heres a Zoom up of the triangular craft.

gallery_100283_8_58598.jpg

Here is another photo unedited of one Band of light that was behind the tree line moving east ward relative to the photo.

gallery_100283_9_668118.jpg

Here a photo with adjusted exposure non zoomed

gallery_100283_8_818230.jpg

These were taken on 3/11/12 brooklyn ny.

Sorry Dr. Mrdad, but your photos look exactly like vapour trails being lit up by the sun, just like the others have said. I live on the coast and watch the sunset most nights.

The 'smart ass' movements they were making where obviously that of a an intelligently controlled craft.

You mean .. like a commercial airliner?

Literally like a flash of light. One after another. They where appearing in the sky. Within the frame of 20 seconds they all appeared one after another.

Earlier, I pointed out that at high altitudes, the conditions for contrails may vary erratically and rapidly. As I said earlier, have you not seen the ripple effect in cirrus clouds? As an aircraft travels through such a region, it will emit short 'puffs' of vapour trails - see below.

One had a circular shape and the only way to describe the other 5 would be as a band of light. Two of the "bands of light" began moving in a way where I called it skipping. It would appear one place and as I am looking at it, it would disappear and reappear in a total difference position in the sky not even relative to how a plane would travel.

Two or more different planes, perhaps?

Simply unpredictable positioning in the sky and as they where making these astonishing maneuvers the other three appeared to be moving at dead slow rate.

The angles at which the craft are travelling relative to your observation point can explain that:

- straight at you or away = long lasting, fairly stationary

- at a slight angle = slow moving

- at a large angle = fast moving

IF they were making 'astonishing maneuvers', then the trails would zig-zag. You don't mention that, and none of your images show that.

Then one out of three that where moving dead slow started to do this skipping maneuver as well.

In other words, it moved into the variable conditions I referred to. Here's a picture:

6d69cb7d9.jpg

Think about it - what would the vapour trails of a plane passing through those conditions (just before or after the cirrus clouds actually formed) look like?

Here's some links to take a look at:

http://contrailscien...ail-of-the-day/

onoff-20121010-072016.jpg

http://www.abovetops...pg1#pid12574587

http://contrailscien...oken-contrails/

http://contrailscien...look-like-ufos/

At that point I realized they werent vapor trails

Incorrectly, in my opinion.

and tryed to take as much pictures as I could.

As I and DKO have pointed out - the video and pictures only show things that look and behave exactly like sunlit contrails. I used to see these frequently when living in a town that was under many high level flight paths going e-w (where I am now, contrails are quite rare and they don't often line up with a sunset).

The difference between the two sightings is that the object in the video remained stationary in the sky.

So, it was close to head on.

After putting down my Phone down I turned away for a few seconds and when I came back they were gone. I mean like 45 second and all three where gone.

So either the aircraft had moved to a region where it was no longer conducive to contrails, or the Sun's rays were now blocked by a cloud (or the horizon). Sunsets are often quite fleeting for that reason..

The ones in the picture couldve have been the same crafts

Craft? I see nothing but tiny unresolved lit-up areas in those images - you cannot blow things up 10 times and think that the little haloes around them indicate 'craft' - they are simply jpeg artefacts, automatic contrast enhancements and made-up detail created by whatever software was used to enlarge them.

I have seen vapor trails and have seen the effects that aircrafts produce in the sky in variable conditions.

And you haven't seen the 'skipping effect'? Then I'm afraid your experience is incomplete.

I have lived on the top floor all my life and I live close to an airport so I see these effects everyday.

Then perhaps you need to get a decent camera, and hope for a repeat of the antics you didn't capture in these images.

• Like 2

Forget this guys photos what about that video in the OP ? If thats not aliens then wtf is it?

Why the attitude?

OK, let's get specific about the OP and the video (which I've finally been able to view).

First up, the guy hasn't a clue - I'm sorry, but some of that footage is ludicrous and is clearly done by someone who is unfamiliar with the basic operation of the equipment he is trying to use. Secondly, he is mixing up a whole pile of different stuff, and the fact that he hasn't captured any of it well (and some of it *awfully*) means it is difficult to properly identify with any confidence. But here goes:

1. At 0:00 to 0:06 - this is a small light source, effectively unresolved by the optics, that is showing a very clear case of 'coma', ie light smear caused by the optics. I'm guessing that the object (which is either a star so near to the horizon that it is scintillating very badly, or possible a police chopper or even car) is not only way off centre in a poorly collimated telescope, he is also filming via a camera at an angle through the eyepiece - the fuzziness is no exotic force field effect, it is simply crappy optics and technique. The shakiness is obviously movement of the telescope and camera combined - it is impossible to determine if/how the object is moving.

2. At 0:07 to 0:12 - oh dear. He clearly uses digital zoom on his camera to make a fuzzy blob even worse. Please, folks, TURN DIGITAL ZOOM OFF.

It is also EXTREMELY notable that he doesn't zoom back (or sue the camera natively), he doesn't show or discuss what happened before or after his filming - where did it go/come from? It is also very notable that he doesn't zoom back or pan to show the surrounds or the horizon, NOR does he show what a known object (like a distant streetlamp or star or planet (Jupiter is perfectly positioned right now). That points to extreme ignorance/amateurism, or deliberate scamming - those are VERY common techniques used by those like Michael Lee Hill in order to deceive.

3. At 0:33, the image is obviously a time exposure, and that little trail is exactly consistent with that of an aircraft moving across the sky during the time exposure.

4. At 0:38, the earlier fuzzy blob is repeated as an even more zoomed still image. It is obviously enlarged using interpolation - this is NOT a valid way to zoom, even if the original *wasn't* already corrupted beyond hope by crappy optics, bad filming and in-camera digital zoom.

5. At 0:46 - 0:58, those are contrails. Good grief.

6. At 1:10 it is simply a repeated, over-enlarged version of the initial footage - seriously, this guy needs to learn how to get his equipment steady.

7. At 1:15 he makes claims about 'orbs' doing maneuvers around aircraft, but none of his footage shows anything like that.

8. At 1:30 he talks about 'jellyfish' like things - I guess if you use your imagination on that first coma-smeared object, yes, it does look a bit like that.

9. At 1:36 he shows some sort of odd time lapse effect showing what again appears to either an aircraft or a satellite (or perhaps the ISS or similar - it appears to be taken near dusk, when such spacecraft are most visible.

10. At 1:52 he talks about red objects shining lights onto clouds, and then shows some brief (stills of?) amorphous blobs that could be anything - again, no attempt to zoom back or show surroundings or known objects, even though he says he watched for long periods.

11. At 2:11 he shows more lights that are 100% out of focus bokeh blobs. I find it hard to believe that he wasn't deliberately defocusing - that stuff is the first you learn when operating a telescope. Again, the images are in some sort of time-lapse sequence - why? who knows.

12: At 2:15 the footage looks, if anything, like a bird flying through the field of view - again it's in that weird time lapse effect for no apparent reason.

13. The sequence around 2:53 is particularly damning - that is almost certainly a deliberate attempt to get an 'effect'. I think most folks familiar with telescopes and night imaging will know why I say that. At the moment I will withhold my reasons, as I'm interested to see if any excuses are raised beforehand.

Frankly, I think they had a slow news night and this case was sitting there from some guy who wanted fifteen minutes of fame. I invite him, the reporter and the UFO groups he was advised by, to join up and discuss - I'm happy to back up my analysis as required, and would love to hear more about the techniques, and to ask why some basic investigation and verification wasn't done (like the zooming back and showing known objects)... And then I'll be asking if he will agree to do it NOW.

BTW, I wonder why he went to UFO groups to discuss his sightings, rather than an astronomy club? I think I know why..

If he had done that instead, he would have (perhaps with some embarrassment) learnt what he was doing wrong and what he should have done to verify his claims.. I'm also curious why the UFO 'experts' haven't pointed out the very obvious issues with most of that footage? Even they should have spotted the problems from a mile off..

• Like 1

BTW, I wonder why he went to UFO groups to discuss his sightings, rather than an astronomy club? I think I know why..

Why do I get the feeling that this part of the story is relevant here ;)

Although Mr Nott says he has had to endure disbelief and hostility from some in the town, which has a population of about 800, he said others were beginning to accept what he has seen

It stikes me as hard to believe that 800 residents do not notice something in the sky in a premiere astronomy site until this bloke tidies up his Grandparents home? I mean, really?

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

Why do I get the feeling that this part of the story is relevant here ;)

Because .. you are right? :D

It stikes me as hard to believe that 800 residents do not notice something in the sky in a premiere astronomy site until this bloke tidies up his Grandparents home? I mean, really?

Indeed. You may also have been alluding to this, but for those who don't know.. 'Dunedoo' (gotta love Australian place names!) is just a quick bicycle pedal down the road from The Siding Springs Observatory (including Dr Robert MacNaught (ANU) of 'Comet MacNaught' fame), Coonabarabran (the 'Astronomy Capital of Australia') and its Astronomy Club, and folks with public observatories like the aptly named Peter Starr. In this region, there are LOTs of very professional people scanning the sky with very high end equipment and the knowledge of how to use it properly.

You'd think they would be the ones noticing all these 'anomalies'...

You'd think they would be the ones to go to..

• Like 1