Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are Ghosts Real? Science Says No-o-o-o

Render

Do you believe ghosts are real?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe ghosts are real?

• Yes
    • No

This is just wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_%28optics%29 Science proved 'rods' don't exist. I used that example because I imagine ghost believers venture into the cryptid forum. It also continually proves that there is no great ape in North America, and no monster in Loch Ness.

You have completely misinterpreted what that meant. Science explained what rods actually were -- they're insects and these insects do exist.

This doesn't mean that every time you video something that looks like a rod it absolutely must be an insect.

The idea suggests that "ghosts" are powered by thought/emotion. Hold on right there now. Is "thought energy" in this context a physical force that we can measure and test? No, it's in the mind.

Which means it doesn't physically exist.

Try to understand and imagine here that every thought has its power. It affects things. It affects how we feel, how we think afterwards, what we might do.

So the "things" it affects are all in our mind again proving that it doesn't physically exist.

You know this is true, but say it doesn't have anything to do with ghosts. Well I think I've already said that the idea is that a strong enough thought/emotion can leave an imprint; a "ghost", or left over energy. What if you had the greatest time of your life somewhere, and left a bit of that energy there? What if you got murdered somewhere, and left some of this energy there? What would stick around?

Nothing. Simply nothing.

Here's a short lesson on energy. For energy to be stored, it must be contained otherwise it will radiate in all directions and dissipate. Your "mental" energy if it did exist would quickly disappear.

That's what I, and others as far as I see, mean. Now if you want to say this doesn't exist, that's fine. But I'll wait until we can figure out the mind and its seemingly endless nuances of consciousness to make that verdict. Or we can all say it's fluff and ignore it and measure physical things we can see. But I don't think that would be healthy in the long run.

You're telling us that it's unhealthy to practice boring science that involves measuring things we can detect and prove. Would that be because you can't measure something that doesn't exist?

just because science says something doesn't exist, doesn't make Science right.Science is arrogant and dismisses anything it can't explain or understand.

Not all the time, as you said. However science is not about to jump on the paranormal bandwagon either. Scientists usually wait until enough information has been gathers before they formulate new hypothesis and extrapolations.

But, here is a spiritual science too.

Isn't that a sort of oxymoron?

Your mommy and daddy might have told you there are no such things as ghosts. But nearly half the country thinks otherwise. A HuffPost/YouGov poll shows that 45 percent of Americans believe in ghosts, or that the spirits of dead people can come back in certain places and situations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/02/real-ghosts-americans-poll_n_2049485.html?utm_hp_ref=weird-news

To scowls thing there, yes, I think you are correct that this thing people call ghosts aren'tphysical, and are likely all in the mind. But does that make them any less real? I see your stance, not sure of my own yet, but its definitely leading toward the other direction. But I see that's met with hostility, as if a challenge. Its not, as all would like things understood, making the boring science bit unfounded and silly.

To scowls thing there, yes, I think you are correct that this thing people call ghosts aren'tphysical, and are likely all in the mind. But does that make them any less real?

Yes.

Your mommy and daddy might have told you there are no such things as ghosts. But nearly half the country thinks otherwise. A HuffPost/YouGov poll shows that 45 percent of Americans believe in ghosts, or that the spirits of dead people can come back in certain places and situations.

http://www.huffingto..._ref=weird-news

A large percentage of the country also think Obama is a Muslim.

Just because a lot of people think something doesn't mean it's right.

• Like 4

Yes.

Now we wait to learn. I'll put 7 dollars of my own against yours, standing at the opposite viewpoint (that the mind is the only real thing).

• Like 1

So what!!? :wacko:

The number of people believing in the paranormal has NOTHING to do with it,... Even if EVERYONE believed, it still doesnt make any of it real.

Edited by DBunker
  • Like 1

First off, those weren't my theories. The first was Paul Bradford's and the second was from a metaphysics book, But I can define energy for you. Energy = power. Thought energy = Power of thought. Emotional energy = Emotional power. Do these energies have the ability to carry on once a physical body is gone? Maybe.

Energy is emphatically NOT equal to power. Power has a well defined meaning in science and engineering.

Power is defined as the rate at which work is done or energy is converted from one form to another. Energy is measure in Joules, power is measured in Watts. 1 Watt = 1 Joule/second. Saying energy=power is like saying distance=speed.

All you have done is take one word you don't have a good definition for and substituted another word which you haven't defined.

• Like 2

And do you think the fact that a belief is popular is a good reason to agree with it? I tend not to believe things simply because a lot of other people believe it.

By your own logic, 55% don't believe in ghosts, therefore it would be more sensible to agree that there is no such thing as ghosts. Which of course makes no sense.

Edited by Archimedes

It's not logic at all.

What was your point then? Simply to state the obvious fact that a lot of people believe in ghosts?

Now we wait to learn. I'll put 7 dollars of my own against yours, standing at the opposite viewpoint (that the mind is the only real thing).

I've been waiting for many disappointing decades and nothing significant has happened other than cable shows like "Celebrity Ghost Stories".

I don't think you read the last part of the sentence. No celebrity ghost shows have attempted to tackle completely mapping out consciousness, as far as I know.

And not one shred of convincing evidence from any of them.....

Uh Huh! Sakari, haven't you seen all the Orb video's and pictures? HOW would you explain that?!?! Or, what about the plethora of scientific evidence found on youtube?!?! ALL those video's are real! :tu:

I don't think you read the last part of the sentence. No celebrity ghost shows have attempted to tackle completely mapping out consciousness, as far as I know.

Which ghost show does that? There are so damn many of them now I can't keep track of them.

I've seen a ghost so there is no way I would believe these scientists. They often backtrack on what they have said anyway. They have no solid evidence they don't exist just their theories.

I've seen a ghost... <snip> ...

You don't say ! ! ! Edited by Archimedes

I've seen a ghost so there is no way I would believe these scientists. They often backtrack on what they have said anyway. They have no solid evidence they don't exist just their theories.

The question is then who you are going to believe. Are you going to trust what you saw and interpret it yourself? Or trust others to tell you did or didn't see? You already know the answer to that, though. This was more directed, erm, indirectly, to the post above.

Having spent much of my life reading about many alleged hauntings from all over the world, and all down the ages, and having also known several people who claim to have seen things of this nature, I am sure that there is some real phenomenon here that is worth looking into. However, the problem for me is determining what the nature of that phenomenon is. Is it supernatural, psychological, or some kind of space-time phenomenon? I am sure that with more resources and dedication, a more proper and serious scientific study could be conducted in this area, which might actually yield some better and more definitive answers, but I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. In the meantime, I would say that I believe ghosts are real, but have absolutely no idea of what they actually are.

• Like 1

A lot of words where "I don't understand science" would have sufficed.

If you could come back as a ghost, when i die there is going to be a haunted hammock under a palm tree in the bahamas, who would want to hang around an old derilect building all day!

I don't wanna be no ghost! You can't eat or drink or have sex, you can just barely move things and then they usually tip over, all you can do is make funny noises and groan.