Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is proof of alien life a risk to society ?

Saru

You know Sakari we just might some day see what happens,And If that day really came in my life time,I would not in one bit be scared . Even if they came to destroy our world as we know it. At least I will know that what I saw years ago was Alien beings doing there recon-work. ANd one needs not live forever. Maybe theres a chain of evolution that makes some species the dominate ones ?

If they come in Peace then ITs Good too ! maybe we get a helping tentacle or multi clawed hand shake ?

But What if, just what if We all there is ? Then it really does seem like many have said"Sure is a Great Waste of Space"

I want so bad to be in the Loop ,not in the Bowl ,or Bowel !Even though I love a good hot spa,bath ! just without the onions,and carrots and that first chomp !

• Like 4

Stanton Friedman raises an interesting point on this question. He wonders where it will leave all of Earth's competing governments, if the indisputable presence of extraterrestrials at this planet starts to make people think of themselves primarily as citizens of the world, rather than of separate nations. He thinks national governments would be reluctant to see themselves relegated to a secondary status, like states, provinces, or counties are within a nation, right now.

• Like 1

Is proof of alien life a risk to our societys hmm, only if your a religious devotee.

• Like 1

"the discovery that we are not alone in the universe, a revelation that could have a profound effect on society"

Good, society needs shaking up BIG TIME, and where needs shaking most...?

RELIGION.

There's a horde of things that need a shaking up, what people believe is probably the least.

How people behave is what needs a shaking up.

Is proof of alien life a risk to our societys hmm, only if your a religious devotee.

I think you'd be surprised.

Anyone whose world is small and cosy and routine and mundane would have it shaken to the core by aliens rocking up.

• Like 2

what no one seems to see , or take into account is the 20% oxygen in our atmosphere .

to you and i it is common place and of no practical importance ... the oxygen is the reason we see falling stars , it is the cause of fire , but most importantly... its why there are no impact craters of small size on earth .

the oxygen of earth is the reason for our oceans ... which is the single most reactive liquid in the universe .

finding life in the universe is one thing , finding a life form crazy enought to visit us , knowing what awaits them is something totaly diffrent ....

and it is unlikly we will even warn them what our normal is ...

it might be quite rude of us to invite them here.... and have them desolve on their way to the ground . or burst into flame , char'd to a crisp as the ash falls from our skys....

• Like 1

I agree with freetoroam... I want them here kicking butt just to be able to watch RELIGION crumble and fall.

• Like 2

or if your the leader of a country .

if money is just a means of uniform standards of wealth for the purpose of gathering tax's...

what happens when they introduce the new currency ?

I agree with freetoroam... I want them here kicking butt just to be able to watch RELIGION crumble and fall.

Religion? Nah, it'd continue. The religious OTOH might have some trouble.

And even then most of us would go "cool, God/Allah/Bob made them too!".

• Like 2

don't listen to them people there are no bad things or outcomes from meeting another alien civilization i promice you people.here's some facts:the reason the governments especially the INFAMOUS U.S.A GOVERNMENT but just like any other government(s) they don't admit it they exist why its not in there interest or benefit or etc.why?you may ask or wonder here's why!!!it would eliminate their control on the people and the they want humanity to depend on them.whose them the government wants people to depend on them and the government want to play hero and etc.also because most alien civilizations are here for humanities uplifting and benefits most of them are of course there are like 20% that are malevolent.another tip and advice:1)do your own research,2)make your own conclusions,3)form your opinions,4)please don't listen to the government and believe them they don't really care for the government and never had at least not anymore and most likely never did.the mainstream media is controlled and manipulated by the Illuminati and another thing is.its a quote from a ex vice news president from "CBS NEWS" i believe."its not our job to tell the people what they want but what we decide they outta have"the government is corrupt and deceiving people in power they don't really care for the people please listen!!!

I don´t think it is a threat to society. Maybe a threat to our main religions; but that would be a good thing.

yes it would be dangerous to society but not in any way yet mentioned here. my first two thoughts were; their bacterias and viruses might be detremental to our form of life and vice versa two societies could vanish instead of just one. And i also believe that their science would turn this world upside down, if and when we learned that it was the third limitation of the Q factor ( i made that up as an example) and not Pie R squared or E=MC2 that was the answer.

personally i would like to see them come down and give each of us a 20 carot diamond or a pound of platinum or a blueprint for some new item needed for intersteller travel or something.

at Zaphod222 i like the way you think lol

I think a first contact event would really shake up those who have no strong religious attachments as well. If "they" came in and said "we planted you here, we are the source of your religions" then they would almost universally be accepted. In fact the Bible mentions that at the end of days God Himself would send a strong delusion to test/try those on the earth who WOULD NOT believe. It's long been discussed what that delusion might be - I think it could be a first contact.

Not me. Not too many Aussies I reckon. Dead set, as a species, this scardey cat stuff seems a bit embarrassing to me. I think the article is exaggerated something ridiculous, but I must admit, The Huffington Post does appear rather dramatic to me most of the time.

Anyhow, example:

"It was only in 1995 that we first found evidence that other stars also have planets orbiting them.

OK, true. But honestly, was this any sort of a shock?? To anyone? Did it have any major impacts? It was bloody interesting, and now it's old hat. It was only weeks after the magnificent announcement, when another was found, and another, and another.......

The world did not fall apart, it did not stop in it's tracks. People said Hrrmmmmzzzzz, that is cool! Some said "AMAZING! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!!!" Then we all went to work, and paid our Mortgages.

And you know what? Some didn't give a hoot. Such would not even impact muy daily routine, and many others too. It would be awesome, and be the topic of conversation in some circles. But earth shattering? Outside of the UFO Phenomena and the ETH, it is a big fast moving world out there.

Sorry, I consider myself agnostic, and I do not see such news "shaking up my world", it would be intensely interesting, and if an Alien claimed to be God, I would want to see his passport first. Heaven I imagine has a rather unique stamp.

Does anyone still believe the end of days is actually going to happen in some biblical apocalypse? Here I mean, in the forum, and the real world, I know there are silly fundies in the world, heck some people still pay good money to listen to David Icke speak, but outside of the deliberately nutty, do people still go for this? Surely we have had enough "doomsdays" for people with half a brain to catch on? Heck, even I as a kid remember getting the day of school because the end of the world was supposed to happen in the early 70's. At the time it was"Cheers, thanks crackpots - free day!!" but how many times can one fall for this crap?

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

Stanton Friedman raises an interesting point on this question. He wonders where it will leave all of Earth's competing governments, if the indisputable presence of extraterrestrials at this planet starts to make people think of themselves primarily as citizens of the world, rather than of separate nations. He thinks national governments would be reluctant to see themselves relegated to a secondary status, like states, provinces, or counties are within a nation, right now.

Unless we are dealing with an invading force, why would anything change? I do not think Aliens would cross space to give us tips on polotics.

There's a horde of things that need a shaking up, what people believe is probably the least.

How people behave is what needs a shaking up.

Quote of the day IMHO.

This says it all. From the vandalism of AA to the snake oil salesmen bearing bundles of books.

ET just might avoid us because we seem too needy! Imagine looking down at earth from that perspective

"Stuff landing there, we wont get any sleep for decades the way these beings beg and suffocate any new friend, I would hate to be their God!" Lazy so and so's do not do anything, they just seem to be waiting for us to land and do all the hard work!"

Edited by psyche101

The only way proof of alien life would phase me would be if they came as a hostile invading force.

As an atheist I have no religious beliefs to shake. Considering the number of stars, planets, etc, etc, I've always believed they're out there somewhere.

• Like 3

The only way proof of alien life would phase me would be if they came as a hostile invading force.

As an atheist I have no religious beliefs to shake. Considering the number of stars, planets, etc, etc, I've always believed they're out there somewhere.

I agree, Professor Hawking outlined the grave possibility of a hostile force, based on our engagements practices for apex predator in our pool of one.

Indeed, one does not even have to be Athiest, the Jewish Talmund speaks of 1800 worlds. Or the 14 Loka of Hindu mythology, or even the nine worlds of Norse Mythology. Copernicus showed us that other planers exist, so we may see them with out own eyes. It is hardly a new idea, and we have wondered abut other worlds for about as long as we have considered the stars. To say any such ideal is sudden, is very far removed from what historical record states.

• Like 1

THis like many have stated before,the main reason that E.T has not actually landed and had a greet & meet ! Maybe a few Greet& Eat`s,or a few Cow`s tipped,and a few sightings here and there !

As for Hawking`s Ideas Im all in on this trend,We better just Keep quite learn to live with our own weakness and fix all we can before were all dead and gone from this surface !

I give us a 50/50 shot of making it ! ANd about a 50/50 shot of ever getting any help. So that makes a 100 % chance of nothing Happening ! You know its the New math !

But Keep Looking up.With that First Contact Were all still in the Dark,It will be a decade or so before we are able to Find a Earth like World with enough Water& O2 for our kind of life to exisist !

THE WAY THIS WORLD IS SCREWED UP THERE IS NOT ANY ALIEN LIFE THAT WOULD WANT IT.

Welcome to the Forum D2b

Well I've always thought that the moment you announce that aliens exist somewhere in the universe a lot of things will happen at once.

Religions (or at least the religious) will decry it as an offence to their beliefs. There will be violence.

Cults will spring up. There will be deaths (Heaven's Gate etc).

Panic buying etc will happen.

People will riot because "the government can't protect us" or "the government is covering it up" or "because we can".

So the discovery of alien life will be the end of "religion as we know it"?

That's another reason to look forward to the discovery of alien life.

:)

THE WAY THIS WORLD IS SCREWED UP THERE IS NOT ANY ALIEN LIFE THAT WOULD WANT IT.

I think one of the things "they" will teach many of us is the existence of a "Caps Lock" key.

Only if a really big Neon sign reading, all you can eat for absolutely free is placed above the Earth.

Edited by shaddow134

Only if a really big Neon sign reading, all you can eat for absolutely free is placed above the Earth.

Not meaning us.............. I hope?

• Like 1

What if the 'aliens' we "see" aren't from another system. But, maybe they've been here all along. Defending the earth from egotism and the failure of such. Time is a big place, I've always thought it weird that energy is directly proportional to mass.

• Like 1

What if the 'aliens' we "see" aren't from another system. But, maybe they've been here all along.

That would make them native, and not alien, would it not?

Defending the earth from egotism and the failure of such.

Sorry, not following you here.

Time is a big place, I've always thought it weird that energy is directly proportional to mass.

I do not find it much of a conundrum considering the function of the proposed Higgs Bosun.