Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hedgehogs:We need to save our prickly friends

Still Waters

Just about everyone loves a hedgehog. Much abetted by Beatrix Potter and many other children’s writers, the hedgehog is held in lofty affection in the UK. That cute pointy face with the paws tucked up under its chin, and its more than endearing habit of curling up when approached, means that most of us have, at some time or other, seen, held and cooed over our spiny, bug-munching back-garden friend. But it wasn’t always like that.

http://www.telegraph...ly-friends.html

In Pictures: Hedgehog Hibernation Survey is launched -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/21249195

• Like 1

Thank you for posting that, SW; thanks also for the lovely pics!

• Like 1

poor hedgehogs. not good there's less than a million.

How many of us remember as children, seeing our little friends in our gardens, or crossing the streets on a regular basis? I rescued one last year, it was just huddled up on the road by the kerb, scared & in shock. My dilemma was, if I take this home and try to help it, will I be depriving a small family of their mother, whom they rely on for feeding but if I don’t, it may die anyway and then the family would still suffer.

I stopped the car and brought it home for a couple of nights, took care of her and released back near where I found her. After a few seconds of looking around, off she ran.

Sadly like the fox attack on the baby, we humans are taking the natural habitat of our little friends, “we take and don’t give back”.

Great pictures and a good post.. Thanks for sharing.