Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Still Waters

Plants can be altruistic

6 posts in this topic

We’ve all heard examples of animal altruism: Dogs caring for orphaned kittens, chimps sharing food or dolphins nudging injured mates to the surface. Now, a study led by the University of Colorado Boulder suggests some plants are altruistic too.

http://www.colorado....ulder-led-study

2 people like this

i keep saying that in the future we will learn the plants are really more alive then we think.

Thanks for the thread! I enjoyed the article and learned something I did not know much about before, so thank you for that as well. :)

Kind Regards.

Some plants I have put together, definetly don't grow well. Dug them up and placed them with others and lo-and-behold they grow gloriously. Plants are awesome!

2 people like this

There was no altruism there, indeed the opposite. When we behave in such a way as to optimize the passing of our genes to the next generation, that is normal selective behavior, and that is what these seeds were doing.

The dog adopting the kitten may be altruism, although other explanations readily come to mine (like it notices that master approves and dog's just love getting master's approval).

Let us say you are the commander of a spaceship and get a distress call from an alien spaceship, of a species unknown. That you will take considerable risk and go to its assistance is true altruism. You share no genes whatever.

Some plants I have put together, definetly don't grow well. Dug them up and placed them with others and lo-and-behold they grow gloriously. Plants are awesome!

Some plants put out chemicals to do in the other plants nearby.

Plants communicate. That fact tells all.

Second, altruism is against theory of evolution as it is now.

And third is rather a question. Do you think that scientists can geneticly modified plants so that they for example spread roots in desert or even on ice polar caps?

Is it possible to modify plants geneticly so that we can change their color, how they multiply themselves.

As I understand plants live from sun and water. They dont need oxygen, they produce it. Is it possible that GMO plant could once day grew on moon?