Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

European football matches 'fixed'

Still Waters

A Champions League tie played in England is one of 680 matches across the world investigators say was fixed.

European police did not reveal the identity of the match they believe was corrupt in England.

But Europol did say that they had uncovered an organised crime syndicate based in Asia that was co-ordinating the operation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/21319807

Doesn't surprise me one bit. My own NFL team lost a Superbowlthrough poor officiating in 2006. They were favored to win and much big money was lost in Vegas.

fixes happen in every sport, if there is a way to make a buck someone is going to cheat.

• Like 1

fixes happen in every sport, if there is a way to make a buck someone is going to cheat.

I agree whenever large sums of money are involved you can guarantee corruption is sure to follow. especially in sports where there are so many variables involved from any number of the players to officials referees etc..

It wouldn't be any chance be a Man United match.

These guys could have had a bet on Wayne Rooney not scoring.

That's usually what happens when it comes to match fixing and crime syndicates.

I'm not surprised. The problem is that soccer has been divided into the rich and the poor. Its easy to bribe poor players in clubs that can't even afford to pay their salaries. There are so many teams in Europe with months of back wages owed to players. Its so easy to go to one of these players and say here's 10, 000 to fix that match.

This is a problem that will never go away.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. My own NFL team lost a Superbowlthrough poor officiating in 2006. They were favored to win and much big money was lost in Vegas.

Seahawks. They were ripped off big time.

• Like 1

I agree whenever large sums of money are involved you can guarantee corruption is sure to follow. especially in sports where there are so many variables involved from any number of the players to officials referees etc..

I agree. Take last Saturday night in America. The UFC. Heavy weight contender Alistar Overeen, a 8-1 favorite, gets KO'd in the 3rd round after dominating through 2. Imagine the money behind that if you were betting against? WOW

I agree. Take last Saturday night in America. The UFC. Heavy weight contender Alistar Overeen, a 8-1 favorite, gets KO'd in the 3rd round after dominating through 2. Imagine the money behind that if you were betting against? WOW

My opinion i have seen this stuff happen before,alistar gassed himself i know it did not appear as so but he is used to having ped's to help him get to weight anymore.This time he did not.Most heavyweights even if they look conditioned and they very well may be,but it takes a lot of energy to move that much muscle.Even just holding your hands up under that type of lighting and believe it or not all those people sitting so close feels like the air is being sucked out of the building!I usually fight at either 170 or 185 and the 3rd round can become exhausting just from mental energy being exerted and the other reasons i have listed.I could not imagine moving that amount of weight around that long in a fight.

I also picked alistar haha

Alistar Overeem appeared to have a bit of a belly and gassed early into #3 round.... My first impression is he gassed... But my 2nd and 3rd is thrown. A lot of money was at stake. Who gets 8-1 odds?

Edited by acidhead

Apostate appeared to have a bit of a belly and gassed early into #3 round.... My first impression is he gassed... But my 2nd and 3rd is thrown. A lot of money was at stake. Who gets 8-1 odds?

I can agree with you either way first words out of my mouth were that fight was thrown lol,the 8-1 odds were because the tear alistar has been on and bigfoots less than stellar last few outings.Look up some of alistar's fights from pride and earlier he has always had a week chin and tends to gas sometimes.Sounds crazy but is true some fighters with belly's have amazing cardio the body prefers to burn fat for energy rather than muscle.The way i do cardio though i go from 210'ish to welter or middle i never get the luxury of having any spare fat haha

I'm not surprised. The problem is that soccer has been divided into the rich and the poor. Its easy to bribe poor players in clubs that can't even afford to pay their salaries. There are so many teams in Europe with months of back wages owed to players. Its so easy to go to one of these players and say here's 10, 000 to fix that match.

This is a problem that will never go away.

Meh! It was Liverpool after all that.

It was a match against Debrecan in 2009. The Debrecan goalie was certainly nibbled by a crime syndicate.I was watching the replay of it last night on Sky Sports and he should have saved that rebound.The bribed goalie just let it tribble past him into the net.His reactions were very similar to when a direct free kick is scored.Tbh Debrecan do sound like impoverished minnows from Hungary.I don't think for one second their wages are up to Premiership standard unless they have an oligarch to sponsor them.

As Europol are investigating 692 matches that's a lot of intentional mishaps they have shifted through.What a thankless task.It's great because they have broken down one of the Mafia's little sidelines.