Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ladies' baseball movie inspiration dies

Keel M.

The female baseball player who inspired Gena Davis' character in A League of Their Own died at age 88.

The classic baseball film "A League of Their Own" immortalized the life of Lavonne "Pepper" Paire-Davis, though you might not have made the connection at first. Paire-Davis, the inspiration for the character played by Geena Davis, died Saturday of natural causes at age 88.

In 1992, "A League of Their Own" gave a fictionalized account of the birth of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League, which was developed by Cubs owner P.K. Wrigley on the fear that Major League Baseball would cease playing because of World War II. The majors never stopped, but the women's league proved popular enough to stay in business from 1943 to 1954. They might have played in skirts, but the women also played to win. Their artifacts are all over the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, and their place in baseball history is undeniable.

Full story

We used to play rounders, loved it, but it never became a national game. :no:

They might have played in skirts, but the women also played to win. Their artifacts are all over the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, and their place in baseball history is undeniable.

I loved that movie!

Cooperstown is only about a 2 hour drive from my house and can you believe I've never been to the baseball hall of fame? I should really make it a point to get there soon.

• Like 1

I watched that movie SO many times. Very sad news indeed, but at least she had a full life.