Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Men and Women 'both from planet Earth'

Still Waters

Men and women have traditionally been said to possess distinct personality traits which make them so dissimilar they may as well come from different planets.

But the idea that the sexes think in completely different ways has been debunked by a study which found that qualities like empathy are not the sole preserve of one gender.

http://www.telegraph...anet-Earth.html

• Like 4

I'm not so sure; according to the panspermia theory (or indeed the Ancient Astronaut theorty, perhaps) they may not be from Earth at all.

My money's on a small planet in the vicinity of Betelguese.

Me neither. I always new women think of sex as often as men do.

No, seriously, this gender stereotyping has bothered me my whole life.

Men and women have traditionally been said to possess distinct personality traits which make them so dissimilar they may as well come from different planets.

But the idea that the sexes think in completely different ways has been debunked by a study which found that qualities like empathy are not the sole preserve of one gender.

I think men and women are just different enough to make them interesting for each other, but also alike, otherwise there would be no communication......well at times that can be a problem LOL.

peace

mark

Men and women are different -- it's called sexual dimorphism. That evolution would leave the differences to physical things and not have a say about personalities stretches credibility and is entirely too politically correct.

Still, more than likely most of the personality differences we observe are culturally learned, and as a general rule one is best off assuming nurture over nature with these questions, both because that is probably most of the difference anyway and also because natural differences will persist anyway so don't worry about them.

I speak as a man and I think that one of the problems with the world is that men rule and they are entirely too aggressive and aren't communicative. Not that women can't be aggressive, but they tend to talk more than fight.

Nah women are still from venus, men are from earth.....real men know that, girlie men don't :passifier::st:passifier:

doug

Of course we are more alike than not. The myth that we are not is perpetuated by the industries which rely on being able to "translate the other gender so you can better understand them": magazines, therapists, fortune tellers, divorce courts, and beer.

Edited by I believe you

"What we found is that overwhelmingly, men and women were not categorically different people. There may be characteristics that women have more of, there may be characteristics that men have more of, but it’s not a case that men and women are fundamentally and dramatically different on these psychological characteristics."

From the link.

From my experience, I don't believe the quoted statement is true. Have these psychologists actually known any women? I like and love women, but to say they are psychologically fundamentally similar to men, well...

Of course we are more alike than not. The myth that we are not is perpetuated by the industries which rely on being able to "translate the other gender so you can better understand them": magazines, therapists, fortune tellers, divorce courts, and beer.

All those books called things like "Why men don't listen and women can't park".

• Like 1