Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Official opening of scotlands parliament

wunarmdscissor

The ceremony has been great.

Very true to our traditions.

There isnt a country in the world that can put on a traditional ceremony on the scale that the british do it wether its a scottish or english one.

My highlight was the Gaelic Singing in the Parliament debating chamber very atmospheric, absolutley amazing.

Scotland's Parliament

1000 years of history.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• wunarmdscissor

• Seraphina

• Erikl

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately it has to one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen sad.gif

Take Paisley Town Hall, stick the front of the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall on it, that’s a parliament building. Particularly in a country and city known for historic architecture. Not the Council Estate with attitude they gave up as some form of modern Art.... bloody capitalism and political correctness... how did THAT thing cost £400 million blink.gif

And why was a foreign dignitary opening it? huh.gif

Oh well its what they do with it which counts.

That hypocrytical sean connery done ma nut in with his negative comments. gavin hasting showed him how its done.

I cant stand that old hypocrite.

He says he wants an independant scotland yet he accepts a knighthood from the very paragon of the UK's unification lol.

He says he wont return to live here till its independernt.

Oh yeah sean an its nothing to do with the tax breaks eh?

I wish Connery had been the one to open it and not a foreign head-of-state sad.gif

NO way hes a cynical , hypocrytcal, greedy old idiot.

There are a million more people who have done more for scotland than that chancer who doesnt even live in this country.

Talon i can gurantee you the queen has spent more time in our fair land than connery has in the last 30 years.

The Queen.... the one who gets £32 million tax payers money a year for doing... em... what was it.... huh.gif oh yeah... nothing

She still spends more time in scotland than connery,

I hate the monarchy too , you know that. but i can never defend connery

Conney spends millions on the SNP and promotes Scotland abroad, he does his share. Anyway tons of millionaires move to tropical climates, why not attack them too?

Yeah but they dont all come back and tell the rest of us what a mess we;re all making of things , then tell us everyone would be better of in independance , then accept a knighthood. lol.

Guest Lottie
The architect said he wanted to design "a fantastic building, which will be beautiful, in a beautiful location".

Taken from: Source

The building looks hideous...sorry. It looks totally out of place in a country surrounded by beauty and with some amazing historical architecture. I suppose the old saying goes in the this case, 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.'

Tons of them do accept knighthoods though tongue.gif and he has a right to express an opinion tongue.gif

At we agree on the monarchy sucking though, grin2.gif I assume we both hate the unelected, undemocratic House of Lords too? laugh.gif

The building looks hideous...sorry.

You don’t have the apologise, laugh.gif its true tongue.gif

The house of lords are WORSE than the monarch , becasue they actually affect daily life.

Another reason why we cannot allow labour to lose the next election, if they get another term theyll get rid of that bunch of old chancers.

I really HATE the house of lords.

At least people can point to tourism as a defence for the monarchy (which i dont agree with but neway). the house of lords have no defence.

They are a bunch of pompous , overpaid, outdated inbred old fools , ho care not a jot for us at all ,. its proposterous that they can block legislation 3 times before its gets pushed though.

Another reason why we cannot allow labour to lose the next election, if they get another term theyll get rid of that bunch of old chancers.

Maybe... with any luck wacko.gif

At least people can point to tourism as a defence for the monarchy (which i dont agree with but neway). the house of lords have no defence.

I think people would visit the castles even if the monarchy were moved to a council estate and stripped of their wealth and titles huh.gif Both institutions suck

They are a bunch of pompous , overpaid, outdated inbred old fools , ho care not a jot for us at all ,. its proposterous that they can block legislation 3 times before its gets pushed though.

yup, and hence veto the decisions of the ELECTED parilement... some democracy rolleyes.gif

Guest Lottie
how did THAT thing cost £400 million

And why was a foreign dignitary opening it?

And why did a Catalonian architect design this? I am all for new idea's and creations but that thing cost £400 million... Its funny how they will readily pay put £400 million to build ugliness and yet the road, pitifully call a motorway, that runs from England to Scotland, the A74, is still not complete. Or maybe thats a conspiracy to keep the English out. grin2.gif They could of used any of the beautiful buildings already in the area and put the money into the infrastructure.

Edited by Lottie

Still a drop the ocean to the millenuem dome, what did that cost? a billion?

Guest Lottie

Urghh the millenium dome...don't remind me...what a waste of time and money that monstrosity was and now its doing nothing...

Well at least the new parliment building will be doing something worthy...hopefully original.gif

Guest Lottie

Labour will get another term, I pray anyway.

At least people can point to tourism as a defence for the monarchy (which i dont agree with but neway).

Living in London I don't really think the Monarchy has that much impact on tourism anymore. Its more to do with the cultural influences and architecture that draw the crowds nowadays. The Monarchy is nothing more now than greasy chips wrapped up in newspaper. I cannot stand the blood sucking, inbreds never have. The monarchy should be abolished.

The building looks hideous...sorry. It looks totally out of place in a country surrounded by beauty and with some amazing historical architecture. I suppose the old saying goes in the this case, 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.'

If you squint your eyes, and turn your head at just the right angle....it looks almost, ALMOST like...

....a pile of...bricks huh.gif arranged in no particular order, in an effort to make all of us vomit on their way to work huh.gif

um....anyway...

I cannot stand the blood sucking, inbreds never have. The monarchy should be abolished.

You do indeed speak the truth tongue.gif Well done to you grin2.gif

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Still, a long way from REAL independence...

Closer than 300 years ago