Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will Robots Eventually Steal All Of Our Jobs?

Big Bad Voodoo

There's a lot wrong with robots doing our jobs...

If you must you need to scrap currency to make it workable.

However we will turn into a world full of fat,unhealthy couch potatoes.

So effectically it's enouraging really bad habits to creep into our lives.

The only way you actually lift a finger is when the robot has short- circuited.

Though in our lethargic haze perched on our sofa we might not process the knowledge to fix it.

And what happens when you tell your robot helper to go up on the roof and adjust the TV aerial.

All it takes is more lightning bolt with metal being a great conductor.

No more robot. You'll be about as useful as that poor guy in the " Lazy" video.

^^^ And that's the best case scenario.

Robots though don't need to breathe,drink,eat and sleep.

You could have then doing sentry duty all night.

But what happens if these apparently mindless automatons start to think...

i don't like the idea of machines replacing human workers for one bit at all.i know why the government or any type of business would do this.here's some ideas and even facts.the government and i would even go as far as companies and larger and powerful corporations want obedient mindless "Sheeps" and mindless workers/slaves to be smart enough to do the work but not think for themselves.i have a very important question for all you people!!!! 1)do you know what a robot represent???answer:a mindless slave/Sheep or slave because they do everything they are told without thinking for themselves and they are programmed to obey and created that way.don't believe people wait and see till it gets worse and machines actually start replacing humans which they are doing at the moment.call me paranoid or whatever.the joke is on you not me I'm really aware of who they truly are and how they are.keep sitting on the sidelines and let them your going to pay the price.most people are a Sheep and slave to the system.they want the population to do nothing and your helping them by doing nothing!!!

Edited by King Cobra 1408
  • Like 1

The movie "WALL-E" is one of the visions of the "Predicted" future.

It may exaggerate the story but the baseline has worried Humankind for the last few decades.

"Humans ruin Earth and are forced off planet, looked after by Robots who cater for their every need"

Take away the story of Humans leaving Earth and we still will have robots doing our work for us.

As jobs dwindle and robot/automated productivity increases, two thing can happen. We can socialize and provide a baseline of resources for everyone or we can let social darwinism kick in and let those that don't own the resources and robots fend for themselves. Perhaps at that future time, we will have developed space travel which will allow the excess human population travel to other resource planets with their own robots. (I personally think it will be more like WALL-E than Star Trek, however)

Robot technology and automated technology is becoming increasingly creative as well. http://www.cracked.com/article_19273_6-shocking-ways-robots-are-already-becoming-human.html

I foresee more social robots in the future as well. Robot pets and companions. All of the positive things a person could want made right in. Smart, sexy, intelligent, compassionate, and a robot. D.A.R.Y.L, Cherry 2000, I-Robot, Blade Runner and A.I. Artificial Intelligence all merged into reality. Perhaps by then we will be cybernetic like Ghost in the Shell. Personally, whichever way it goes, I see it as the next step in human evolution.

Am smiling at the thought of a robot politician or civil servant, programmed to be incapable of telling lies. :)

There'd be chaos! lol

That's right -- there would be chaos. Politicians are hired to tell lies; that's their job.

So what if they "steal" our jobs... you dont need a job to live nor money, just what you buy with money. And it's we people who force ourselves to buy with money. Silly...

And astrology is a form of art, especially it's research. It'll always be a job for the humans, even if you might have robots doing the readings. I wouldn't be surprised of that, since there's already astrology programs out there that can pretty much do it, or could if you put the same effort into building such a program as you put into a new version of Windows.

Oh I wouldn't be too sure about that. The computer game companies are already working on it.

• Like 1

There's one job they can't steal... prostitution. ;)

Surely you jest that is one of the top robots in development..

[media=]

[/media]

Edited by AsteroidX
  • Like 1

Surely you jest that is one of the top robots in development..

[media=]

[/media]

Is it my destiny to lose my virginity to a sexbot.

I don't think so because it's liking have intercourse with a Mechano set.

But at least you won't catch any STD's like Aids and Chroymnia.

And her orgasm will be as fake as Meg Ryan's in When Harry Met Sally.

At least you don't need any cheesy chat- up lines to woo it over.

Tbh I'm more keen in making out with the lingerie.

At least that's more natural.

Edited by Medium Brown

We all know about automation -- it's not like we haven't been warned. We need to think ahead, keep ourselves flexible, constantly learn new things, have money saved up, and be aware.

We all know about automation -- it's not like we haven't been warned. We need to think ahead, keep ourselves flexible, constantly learn new things, have money saved up, and be aware.

As i've said before.

IT is made for supporting, instead of replacing humans, in their daily chores.

The machines taking the jobs of ppl stems from the industrial revolution and taylorism. Organisation have evolved from that stage.

Automatisation doesn't automatically lead to getting fired. Quite the contrary. With new systems, new functions arise. Most companies are also very aware of morale and know that talks of a new system scares ppl. That's why many companies ask for a design in which everyone will still be needed. Sometimes a bit of reschooling needs to happen yes. And that's the way we are headed. Less constrained tasks and more multifunctionalism. More reschooling to keep up and also don't "get stuck" in what you do.

See Toffler and his third wave.

Of course, as always, ppl create fear around everything like the end is nigh - AGAIN - so they don't have to think about anything, just nag nag nag.

It's all about evolving with the world.

Edited by Render

There's one job they can't steal... prostitution. ;)

Cherry 2000 ... which I wouldn't mind having one of. :tsu:

If robots take over our jobs and people are out of work, won't that affect the owners of the companies in a negative way? Like since people will be out of work and they won't have money to spend so therefore no one is buying products that robots produced thus the companies will fold. hmmm

• Like 1

[media=]

[/media]

What will happen when there's a job too menial even for a robot?

What will happen when there's a job too menial even for a robot?

Robots are made for a purpose. It wouldnt be efficient to create an AI robot for this task for example. So i don't see that scenario happen.

Robots are made for a purpose. It wouldnt be efficient to create an AI robot for this task for example. So i don't see that scenario happen.

I know that's how things are now but will they be in the future? I can't help but think that at some time virtually all machines will have a high level core with task specific software laid over it. This works well with economy of scale factored in; build only one or two types of core machines and customize at a higher level. At some point, it simply won't be efficient to build machines with limited capabilities like that sign waver. At this point, do we get some human to do it because it's too menial for a robot?

I know that's how things are now but will they be in the future? I can't help but think that at some time virtually all machines will have a high level core with task specific software laid over it. This works well with economy of scale factored in; build only one or two types of core machines and customize at a higher level. At some point, it simply won't be efficient to build machines with limited capabilities like that sign waver. At this point, do we get some human to do it because it's too menial for a robot?

Well, of course in the mean time the world evolved too and the need for certain menial tasks will be non existent.

Take this robot billboard thing for example: In the near future stuff like that will become obsolete since you'll have commercials and alike on parts of your car window. When driving through a certain area local store advertising will be projected on your windows/dashboard.

The same will happen with other things.

There is no need and there is no efficiency in creating a robot that is too intelligent for a certain task. Creating and getting an intelligent robots costs a lot of money.

Of course convergence will increase and a basic software could be installed, and there is no reason to make this software "highly intelligent'. You could add a piece upon that for a certain task and replace this with software for another task when needed.

There is no "too menial" taks for a robot. It's a robot, it's programmed to do something because it is an extension of a human. Like a phone is extension of humans their ability to communicate. A shovel is an extension for a human to dig. It's all related to humans their objectifying ability.

Anyways, if a taks becomes too menial it will simply become obsolete. Like phone centrals where the connection happened more "manually". This has become obsolete. There is no reason for its existence. A system is created to take it over. If phones were to die out because communication could solely happen telepathically (just as an example here) then that system will become obsolete and probably a new augmented reality system will take its place.

Too menial things are removed from the equation, that's evolution.

But on the other hand, all of this technology is eliminating millions upon millions of high paying jobs.

More productivity leads to cheaper products, which lowers the cost of living, so it evens out.