Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lack of Personal Bf Encounters

Q-C

I’ve noticed on UM under “Ghosts” and “UFO” and “Conspiracies” and other “Cryptids” threads there seems to be no lacking of personal accounts.. Usually as OP’s.

However, that is not the case it seems when it comes to bigfoot on UM. The difference is striking. Why don’t we have more relaying their personal bf encounters?

I fully understand the chance one takes posting about a bf encounter, but it is no different posting in any other paranormal thread.

I, personally, would like to hear some. A few here have hinted at them but have not shared their encounters.

I know it is a very personal thing too, and sticking your neck out to possibly get it guillotined isn’t everyone’s idea of a good time.

But I could not fault or ridicule someone for something they fully believe they encountered or can’t explain.

Yes, it is the opposite for me with the Infamous Usual Players we hear about all the time. They deserve scrutiny and ridicule and to be challenged, imo. But an average Joe or Jane personal account is different. But some may argue “You’ve got to be kidding, you can’t have it both ways, QC”.

I disagree. Any other skeptics feel the same?

Why do bf believers with personal experiences not share their experiences like we see daily under other topics?

It seems several skeptics on here were once believers and several more would love bf to be proven true one day.

I’ve always enjoyed reading the encounter reports posted in databases.

Maybe I am just spinning my wheels, because who would want to share a very personal and life-changing experience with QC, after how I treat the Infamous Usual Players always grabbing for the limelight?

Anyway, I hope more consider posting their experiences for us to enjoy and discuss.

Could some of the regular UM skeptics have had some unexplained "bf" experiences too?

Just a thought,

QC

Edited by QuiteContrary

Never thought of it, but you're right. We seem to have lots of 'what do you guys think about" threads and very few "I saw XXX" threads around here.

While I may be skeptical, I like to think that I treat everyone fairly. And frankly, I'd much rather get into a long discussion of an encounter with a regular around here rather than the "one post and I'm gone" types.

Good question, while Biggie seems to be the most popular cryptid nowadays, there's an inversely amount of personal experiences on this board. Especially since he's supposed to be so prolific across vast regions and not just confined to a certain area, say a lake. But in addition to people sharing their personal experiences about various phenomena, I've also seen the sentiment of what's the point of sharing if it's just going to be picked apart by strangers.

Sure, posting an encounter might get a little rough, depending on the poster too. That happens in other topics' threads as well.

But I'd like to hear some detailed personal encounters with those who are open to discussion and realize detractors/jokers will post, but not be deterred by them.

Or be afraid of any of us. (me, the most likely)

Have I got something for YOU to see then QC.

I’ve noticed on UM under “Ghosts” and “UFO” and “Conspiracies” and other “Cryptids” threads there seems to be no lacking of personal accounts.. Usually as OP’s.

However, that is not the case it seems when it comes to bigfoot on UM. The difference is striking. Why don’t we have more relaying their personal bf encounters?

That's a good question QC. Approximately 2 years ago the was one brave man who dared to share his experience here. It's what got me interested in the subject and launched my personal quest for answers. Before that time I was only mildly interested in the subject and never posted or read the crypto section. Anyways, the OP (of that thread) and I are friends on FB now and we communicate often. And the answwer is no, he wasn't very well recieved here.

So what you're observing now is what happens when a "tone" is set.

• Like 1

Most Bigfoot encounters aren't much to write home about. The ones I heard from friends growing up were that they saw something, they were scared, and they got the hell out of there. I heard six or seven of these growing up in the Pacific Northwest.

You didn't ask stupid questions like "Did you shoot at it?" or "Did you check for footprints?" or "Are you sure it wasn't a bear?" It was Bigfoot, you idiot!

That's a good question QC. Approximately 2 years ago the was one brave man who dared to share his experience here. It's what got me interested in the subject and launched my personal quest for answers. Before that time I was only mildly interested in the subject and never posted or read the crypto section. Anyways, the OP (of that thread) and I are friends on FB now and we communicate often. And the answwer is no, he wasn't very well recieved here.

So what you're observing now is what happens when a "tone" is set.

That can also be said as a reason not to post in a "ghost" thread too. Yet there is never a shortage, it seems, in the other paranormal or cryptid threads.

But yes, Stardrive, you are right, fear could deter some from posting.

However, the poster would have to be pretty familiar with UM. And it seems to me often encounter posters are newbies. Not to say a flyby poster who disappears is a good thing, but I don't believe the lot who do not post here avoid it just because of what they expect to encounter here.

It is just odd we don't seem to get any but the other threads do.

I just think some regulars would be receptive and enjoy some personal encounters.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Most Bigfoot encounters aren't much to write home about. The ones I heard from friends growing up were that they saw something, they were scared, and they got the hell out of there. I heard six or seven of these growing up in the Pacific Northwest.

You didn't ask stupid questions like "Did you shoot at it?" or "Did you check for footprints?" or "Are you sure it wasn't a bear?" It was Bigfoot, you idiot!

Sure, there is a wide variety of encounters. But I've heard several from forum posters over the years that were pretty intriguing too--some through personal pm's/not UM

But even brief encounters don't seem to stop those in other thread topics either.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I think it's because of what you're talking about:

Aliens - Some believe they're visiting us and some don't. Even those who don't, though, can't say definitevly that they're not. If they are visiting us, that means their technology is far better than ours and reasonably they could prevent us from detecting them if they chose.

Ghosts - Some believe they haunt us and some don't. Even those who don't, though, can't say definitevely that they're not. If they are haunting us, it is conceivable that science has yet to make the breakthrough that allows us to detect them.

Bigfoot - Most who believe claim it's an animal. Maybe a very smart animal, but an animal nonetheless. It's pretty easy for a skeptic to say an animal twice the size of a man could not live in our own back yards without our detecting it.

What I mean is that with ghosts and ETs, people can fall back on mystery - the fact that we're not advanced enough scientifically to detect it. With Biff, that's not the case. We've been detecting and catching animals since the dawn of man. There are too many logical arguments for why it can't exist and believers (in my experience) don't like to argue the logic of things.

I recall when I came here about this time last year, I gave an account of what my two friends has seen and my own sort of left handed encounter which is not much to really talk about.

And in short order got hammered by a number of long time posters here, so badly in fact that I put several on the ignore function so I didn't have to read their venom. Unfortunately, when you talk about such encounters, even second hand, you're going to get hammered by skeptics. Hell, I still have one guy on my ignore list, the rest sort of settled down. But let's be real, if you post a story and you're going to get hammered, why post the story? Sort of like if you date a guy who's going to abuse you, then why go out with him? Odds are it's just not going to be a pleasant experience.

Now I did get several messages from posters who related to me they'd had the same experience from basically the same people and asked to remain anonymous which seemed a reasonable request based on what I was experiencing. Then oddly, I'd post on other threads and found that most of the guys who'd hammered my old, shriveled up butt so badly shared many of the same observations and apparent beliefs I did......so why all the hammering when I first got here and told the accounts told to me? Personally, I've never seen a Bigfoot, found any prints, or anything. Now I did encounter a nasty odor while hunting one day, but that was all. No sighting, or vocalizations, no tracks or hair, just the smell like body odor taken to an exponential level that very nearly brought tears to my eyes. I've stated over and over again that this was proof of nothing and there could be very simple and normal explanation for what I encountered. As it turned out right after this encounter my first Buddy told me of his encounter of actually seeing a Bigfoot. He was hunting and set up over looking a old logging road when he saw what he first thought was a bear. But then he realized it was up on two feet and walking like a human. He prepared to shoot it but as it got closer he said he could see it's face and the face looked too human and it was human shaped just completely out of all proportion to what a normal human should be, he also caught a whiff of it and said it didn't smell animal it smelled human, really rank human. He wound up passing on the shot because he said it just looked too human and while he had no hang ups with shooting animals or humans if they attacked him, this creature wasn't aware of his presences. Then it turned and disappeared into the brush, after he was sure the creature was gone he packed up and left and never went hunting again.

It took over a year for him to tell me the story. The second encounter was by a friend in Virginia and he told me almost the exact same story. Nether of these guys knew each other and both were men I respected and still respect.

Now, can you imagine, someone having this sort of experience, they finally work up the nerve to post it on the web and suddenly they get hammered like a horse shoe on a black smith's anvil? Granted there are a lot of misidentifications, liars, and people fooled by others who themselves are sincere but have been duped by others. Then they tell what they saw or experienced only to have a load of oldies pounce on them, call them liars and basically treat them like a warm, steaming pile left by the dog on the kitchen floor. The only reason I hung around here was because several posters messaged me and I realized there might be some good here after all. Yeah, we still got flamers and a$$holes, but we do have people who are sincere and are looking for truth and fortunately they out number the less desirable group.

• Like 1

What I mean is that with ghosts and ETs, people can fall back on mystery - the fact that we're not advanced enough scientifically to detect it. With Biff, that's not the case. We've been detecting and catching animals since the dawn of man. There are too many logical arguments for why it can't exist and believers (in my experience) don't like to argue the logic of things.

Didn't consider that. I see what you are saying.,.for those who believe we are talking about a flesh and blood "natural-law" abiding animal here....I see how for some the frustration of arguing their case seemingly against science and nature could be a deterrent and stories easier shared with fellow believers.

• Like 1

Now, can you imagine, someone having this sort of experience, they finally work up the nerve to post it on the web and suddenly they get hammered like a horse shoe on a black smith's anvil? Granted there are a lot of misidentifications, liars, and people fooled by others who themselves are sincere but have been duped by others. Then they tell what they saw or experienced only to have a load of oldies pounce on them, call them liars and basically treat them like a warm, steaming pile left by the dog on the kitchen floor. The only reason I hung around here was because several posters messaged me and I realized there might be some good here after all. Yeah, we still got flamers and a$$holes, but we do have people who are sincere and are looking for truth and fortunately they out number the less desirable group.

*snip*

An encounter would be an extremely personal and traumatic experience, I wouldn't doubt. (whether an actual bf encounter or not) And sure it would be tough to share something you might even be embarrassed about and then have to defend yourself and listen to possible ridicule.

But this isn't different from ghosts or demons or etc., is it?

Or, maybe these personal experiences are different?

And also why would one not expect skeptical inquiry of all levels and types?

I would guess some who have experiences may even be harder on themselves than some skeptics would be, or pretty darn close. As they argue with themselves trying to wrap their own heads around what happened.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Keep in mind QC, we "discover" new creatures almost every day. They aren't new, they've been around for thousands of years, but we've only just gotten around to looking for them and finding them. In 2011 they was a new man-sized chimp discovered in.....Central America? I can't recall where it was exactly now and I'm too lazy to look it up, so feel free to Google for it.

I have to agree with Sam12six in that something as large as a Bigfoot is supposed to be shouldn't be in the realm of the "undiscovered" as yet. Especially when you considered that they have to have a large enough breeding population in order to maintain themselves, find food, and evade humans, pick up the bodies and bones and all that sort of thing. So I completely get where guys like him are coming from, I used to be one of those guys.......until I was told of the experiences of my friends. Now I consider myself open to the possibility. The down side is that now that I'm open and willing to look a bit more my situation is not the same and I can't get out and look as I once did, which sucks and swallows but such is life.

*snip*

An encounter would be an extremely personal and traumatic experience, I wouldn't doubt. (whether an actual bf encounter or not) And sure it would be tough to share something you might even be embarrassed about and then have to defend yourself and listen to possible ridicule.

But this isn't different from ghosts or demons or etc., is it?

Or, maybe these personal experiences are different?

And also why would one not expect skeptical inquiry of all levels and types?

Iwould guess some who have experiences may even be harder on themselves than some skeptics or pretty close. And argue with themselves trying to wrap their own heads around what happened.

Strangely, people seem to be more accepting of ghostly encounters and paranormal happenings, I suspect because we've all experiences some level of paranormal activity on some level. Once you experience something like it then it's a little easier to accept another experience like it from someone else. I myself have experienced three things that I can only chalk up to paranormal experiences, however I've never seen a ghost. So consequentially, it's easier for me to be more open to that sort of experience. You might have a gift or ability to see these sorts of things and that is a commonly held belief in people. However, Bigfoot? I have hiked in most states in North America and never encountered one, never found any footprints or anything, so for many years I'd just blow off such things as fakes, liars or people who couldn't tell the difference between regular creatures. After my being told about the experiences of my two friends then I took on a more open mindset. That and my own encounter with that nasty odor I'll never forget.

But that's really the difference between the two, while most all of us have had some paranormal experience be it to a greater or lesser degree and where or not we want to believe we did is immaterial, we've had them, but not everyone has seen a Bigfoot and there is nothing that's supposed to be paranormal about them.......well, except they have ESP, can shift inter-dimensionally, are in league with ET's and are highly organized with body recovery teams.

Edited by keninsc

Keep in mind QC, we "discover" new creatures almost every day. They aren't new, they've been around for thousands of years, but we've only just gotten around to looking for them and finding them. In 2011 they was a new man-sized chimp discovered in.....Central America? I can't recall where it was exactly now and I'm too lazy to look it up, so feel free to Google for it.

I have to agree with Sam12six in that something as large as a Bigfoot is supposed to be shouldn't be in the realm of the "undiscovered" as yet. Especially when you considered that they have to have a large enough breeding population in order to maintain themselves, find food, and evade humans, pick up the bodies and bones and all that sort of thing. So I completely get where guys like him are coming from, I used to be one of those guys.......until I was told of the experiences of my friends. Now I consider myself open to the possibility. The down side is that now that I'm open and willing to look a bit more my situation is not the same and I can't get out and look as I once did, which sucks and swallows but such is life.

I was one of the people you felt hammered you when you first showed up because I mentioned that I felt that too many stories had Biff in the crosshairs and chose not to fire because it was too hunanlike and I've known guys who'd shoot a guy in a Biff suit even if they SAW him putting the suit on just so they could shoot a guy and get away with it. My post was more about why none of THESE guys ever spot Biff and I think you took it as an slam against your or your friend's honesty.

Anyway, my thing with Biff isn't that it's a large animal and we should have scientifically classified it by now. The problem's not WHAT it is, but WHERE it is - which by sightings is... everywhere. In sparsely popluated areas, I'm perfectly willing to accept the possibility that there's a large creature that has not yet been scientifically exhamined. It's just the idea that they're traipsing around neighborhoods going through people's garbage that I can't accept.

Unless someone's an advocate of the alien Biff with the predator invisibility belt or the dimension traveling demon Biff, the only answer to this is that the sightings of Biff in moderately populated areas are wrong. This is a problem from a believer standpoint because if all those are wrong, why not the rest? Anyway, I'm interested in the whole thing more from the psychological viewpoint of how the two sides think and interact than really whether there's a big hairy dude running around stealing beef jerky.

I was one of the people you felt hammered you when you first showed up because I mentioned that I felt that too many stories had Biff in the crosshairs and chose not to fire because it was too hunanlike and I've known guys who'd shoot a guy in a Biff suit even if they SAW him putting the suit on just so they could shoot a guy and get away with it. My post was more about why none of THESE guys ever spot Biff and I think you took it as an slam against your or your friend's honesty.

Anyway, my thing with Biff isn't that it's a large animal and we should have scientifically classified it by now. The problem's not WHAT it is, but WHERE it is - which by sightings is... everywhere. In sparsely popluated areas, I'm perfectly willing to accept the possibility that there's a large creature that has not yet been scientifically exhamined. It's just the idea that they're traipsing around neighborhoods going through people's garbage that I can't accept.

Unless someone's an advocate of the alien Biff with the predator invisibility belt or the dimension traveling demon Biff, the only answer to this is that the sightings of Biff in moderately populated areas are wrong. This is a problem from a believer standpoint because if all those are wrong, why not the rest? Anyway, I'm interested in the whole thing more from the psychological viewpoint of how the two sides think and interact than really whether there's a big hairy dude running around stealing beef jerky.

Yeah, you were one of them. I think I said that the encounters would mean nothing to anyone, other than me because I knew and know both the guy personally and while that mean little to anyone else, it carries a great deal of weight with me. More over, one of the guys was a police officer in Virginia and if he told guys he saw a Bigfoot hell, he'd be laughed off the force and it could even be used against him in criminal prosecutions. I can see a defense attorney going after him in court now, "Oh and by the way Officer "X", Is it true you claimed to have seen an actual Bigfoot while out hunting a couple years ago?" Talk about getting hammered in open court? Then you have a prosecutor looking at a case and he has to consider the testimony of the officer involved. Suddenly, the case don't look so good.

Of course, then you have the crack pots who go out and poke at them with sticks shouting. "Git! Go on, Git!".

Of course, then you have the crack pots who go out and poke at them with sticks shouting. "Git! Go on, Git!".

That's one of my favorite interviews of all time!! I can never close my eyes and imagine the scene without feeling a smile creeping up on my face.

Yeah, me too. I really felt sorry for the police officer who was suckered into having to give an interview and was trying not to just say, "Poor old guy was just off his meds, he's better now."

I saw 3 of em

I'd find his story far more believable if he was in an in an emergency room explaining the stick shoved up his butt...

• Like 1