Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lack of Personal Bf Encounters

Q-C

what is it I am missing out there?

At the risk of this being an inflammatory statement (flag if you see fit) I think what you are missing, Evan, isn't what is out there but what you bring with you. You, like me, do not seem to carry the belief that BF is real with you out into the woods. I think that for some - that belief drives a confirmation bias that imposes a subtle (or sometimes not so subtle) influence on the experiences of believers in the wild.

• Like 1

I think you have a valid point OP, but I think we will soon see someone who will turn your argument into its inverse position.

I think you have a valid point OP, but I think we will soon see someone who will turn your argument into its inverse position.

As they well should. All's fair in love, war, and internet discussion forums. :tu:

I come on here now and again but get sick of I'll name him it won't be a surprise Night Walker (must thank you also for making a really good person leave here someone that wasn't connected in any way to the sassy community). Whenever I mention anything he will dredge up old stuff even when he has been given answers and really hates the fact that I use to hang with a certain research group who I honestly believed at the time were genuine but left as we got into fights over things that were happening in the group and I questioned NW has had his own encounters with these guys so he knows how they'll try to run your name into the mud yet he jumps on that to use against me.

*snip*

Appreciate your reply, Tia.

You bring out an interesting point. Fighting and arguing and disagreeing happen among believers as well. I think it is hard to avoid. But, yes, there is a "protocol" for discussion if you will, i guess, to keep posters posting.

I do not get the feeling that many would attack average joe/jane witnesses. I just don't see it in the posting style and personality of many of the regular bigfoot thread posters on UM. Imo

As far as the "infamous" believers, they get attacked by believers as well, mercilessly and maybe more aggressively than by the skeptics because they paint a picture of believers and bigfoot that many find embarrassing and damaging.

I would like to hear more of your encounters and those of others. And yes there is no doubt you will be challenged. But as I said, I just see most of the UM skeptics who regularly comment on bigfoot as being very accommodating and interested and civil...and for a few hopeful that one day we'll get the big news! But not having posted an encounter, it is easy for me to say this and I can't tell an eye witness they should post their encounter.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I have made it a personal policy not to question the regular posters bigfoot encounters as I have in the past, for a couple of reasons;

1. I honestly like and respect most of them, and would rather keep them around. After all what good is a discussion, when all you have is one point of view to talk about?

2. They tend to get a bit defensive when you start asking the hard questions which is understandable...I guess. I suppose I can come off as a bit harsh and direct with the way I question these stories sometimes, but I spent most of my adult life in a military unit where direct and pointed communication was a cultural norm and necessity. One thing I have learned and am still learning is that this type of communication is not received very well in the civilian world.

I can see how someone who is posting on an encounter with a bigfoot could be overly-sensitive, easily scared off, embarrassed, defensive, unsure.

I like people who are blunt and to the point. I find an honesty in it. A purity of intentions in it. A clarity to their questions and comments. But this is not everyone's cup of tea.

Yet, should encounter posters be somewhat prepared for this? and hopefully not run off too quickly, or jump to conclusions as well?

Because it has got to be hard to find the "perfect" discussion scenario on cryptos anywhere. By nature encounters beg questions and details and a bit of resilience in sharing.

But again, easy for me to say...I have no experience posting a personal encounter...

Edited by QuiteContrary

Topic title: Lack of Personal Bf Encounters

*doubletake*

I was totally reading that as "Lack of Personal Boyfriend Encounters"

And back on the topic of bigfoot :D

• Like 2

i spent several summers in sulton basin area of the cascades in the early eighties for target huinting for hiking and camping and gold panning ( never found anything) and for hunting the super natural. in 81 and 82 it seemed that every time i went up there something with no logical iexplanation ( Other that your imagining things or you were drunk / stoned / insane) would happen to me and to whomever was with me.

I was not scared when i looked whatever it was in the eyes, I got the distinct impression however that i was the one being watched and studied, it wasn't just there to see what the noise was about, and after i was unable to find any evidence that i had seen something i became concerned, ( cold chills down the spine can do that to a person.) but not scared or afraid

I became scared of what i could have done when i saw the movie a couple years later. if it was someone in a bigfoot suit he should be thanking the universe that he's still alive as i don't miss... Well at that time in my life i didn't miss, that was why i practiced at the cost of several hundred rounds every summer, so I would not miss.

yes there were tales in the circles I ran in that strange things and even stranger things happened up there. bigfoots, nature elementals indian ghosts, witchcraft lost time ( which i experienced )

edited for spelling

As to why i didn't pull the trigger, I honestly do not know

Edited by mysticwerewolf

i spent several summers in sulton basin area of the cascades in the early eighties for target huinting for hiking and camping and gold panning ( never found anything) and for hunting the super natural. in 81 and 82 it seemed that every time i went up there something with no logical iexplanation ( Other that your imagining things or you were drunk / stoned / insane) would happen to me and to whomever was with me.

I was not scared when i looked whatever it was in the eyes, I got the distinct impression however that i was the one being watched and studied, it wasn't just there to see what the noise was about, and after i was unable to find any evidence that i had seen something i became concerned, ( cold chills down the spine can do that to a person.) but not scared or afraid

I became scared of what i could have done when i saw the movie a couple years later. if it was someone in a bigfoot suit he should be thanking the universe that he's still alive as i don't miss... Well at that time in my life i didn't miss, that was why i practiced at the cost of several hundred rounds every summer, so I would not miss.

yes there were tales in the circles I ran in that strange things and even stranger things happened up there. bigfoots, nature elementals indian ghosts, witchcraft lost time ( which i experienced )

edited for spelling

As to why i didn't pull the trigger, I honestly do not know

I think you should be commended for not pulling the trigger when you weren't sure, in fact, I've mention several times to people here and on other boards that it's all too easy to get excited, have visions of hitting it big and fame and groupies and such hanging all over you only to discover you shot a guy in a Ghillie suit who was changing position. I also tell people that if you're going to actively hunt a Bigfoot to hunt with a non-scoped rifle or, my personal preference, a shotgun loaded with slugs. It will force you not to take that really long shot and 300 yards or greater.

Also, thanks you for posting your experience.

well i was less that seventy feet away from this target. i don't take long shots or practise long shots... to much chance to miss at 300 or 400 yards, something I am almost fanitical about is one shot kills, if you can't do it in one shot you don't do it. in this case i didn't even realize i was putting the rifle down until i was doing so.

i was asked earlier if my life had changed because of this. i can't say No but I also can't say yes, I can say i didn't believe it/they were possible until that day.

Edited by mysticwerewolf

Care to elaborate on the nature of the sign you are referencing SD? I do agree attention to detail (a calibrated eye) is key when observing nature, but knowledge of what exactly it is you are observing can be very subtle. I do consider myself an excellent observer and very knowledgeable of wildlife and their habits, and somewhat of a decent tracker. But I aint no Dannel Boone so please share...what is it I am missing out there?

Stardrive has shared some of his experiences with me and while I can't completely validate them, we've only talked on the phone about them, what he describes makes sense to me. It is not my place to share his findings or to elaborate on them, however I personally would be hesitant to share anything with Sakari and a couple others here. Mostly due to having to listen to people makes calls on something they haven't seen, and honestly, there is some subjectivity involved, unfortunately that will only open the flood gates to the bashers here.

I'm sure when he has something worth sharing he will, but that decision is completely up to him to make.

well i was less that seventy feet away from this target. i don't take long shots or practise long shots... to much chance to miss at 300 or 400 yards, something I am almost fanitical about is one shot kills, if you can't do it in one shot you don't do it. in this case i didn't even realize i was putting the rifle down until i was doing so.

i was asked earlier if my life had changed because of this. i can't say No but I also can't say yes, I can say i didn't believe it/they were possible until that day.

At least you actually saw something, my openness to the possibility of these creatures being real is based on the experiences of two of my friends, people I know and knew well. My only possible encounter was some twenty-one years ago when I was out deer hunting and encountered a nasty, really rank, smell unlike any other I'd ever encountered in the woods while hunting. I often describe it as being around a dozen Frenchmen in Summer that haven't bathed recently. I swear it nearly took my breath away and brought tears to me eyes. Never saw anything or found any foot prints or anything else, but of course that was before my friends relayed their own stories to me, so quite frankly, I wasn't looking for evidence of a Bigfoot.

Stardrive has shared some of his experiences with me and while I can't completely validate them, we've only talked on the phone about them, what he describes makes sense to me. It is not my place to share his findings or to elaborate on them, however I personally would be hesitant to share anything with Sakari and a couple others here. Mostly due to having to listen to people makes calls on something they haven't seen, and honestly, there is some subjectivity involved, unfortunately that will only open the flood gates to the bashers here.

I'm sure when he has something worth sharing he will, but that decision is completely up to him to make.

Not to name drop or anything.... :blush:

Kenninsc, no worries. I have hit a sort of " end " to all of this. ( Bigfoot, Ghosts, etc. ). I come on here and read occasionally, and maybe post if something catches my eye. ( like someone dropping my name )..

No idea why you would call me a basher, I am far from that. I would actually feel safe to say your replies fit that a lot more then mine do. Not that I care what your opinion is anyway. ( no offense to that, I do not care what anyone's opinion on a forum is )

Notice I have not even commented on anyone here's " experience " ???

Anyways, don't worry about me " bashing " or whatever, my time here is about done it seems. My interest is about gone, same old stuff, different day. Actually like a star wars convention, or a comic book convention anymore. ( not that I have been to any of those ). A lot of it has to do with this exact thing I am replying to. I am really tired of the childish crap that goes on, on top of what I all ready stated as to why I am getting bored.

Thanks for the name drop though, that caught my eye, and showed me that you have not changed. I was starting to think maybe you have with our recent conversations.

Back to the ignore list with you.... :su ( joking, I do not have a ignore list )

Enjoy the conversations, I hope something new and different comes out some day.

Edited by Sakari

So what? You'd like a medal for being civil?

Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before, "I'm done with this place and this subject......insert some veiled thing about never coming back, yadda. yadda." And I see you've conveniently left the door open so you can pop in then disappear again. The reason I'd not share anything with you is you are an admitted faker and I'd not do anything to make your fakery better or more convincing. so there it is. Once a liar and a faker, always a liar and a faker as far as I'm concerned.

If you do leave......which I seriously doubt you will, more likely you'll just post under one of your other board names........but if you do, that is simply your choice. Personally, I'll not miss you.

Don't let the screen door hit you where the good Lord split you, on your way out.

:st

So what? You'd like a medal for being civil?

Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before, "I'm done with this place and this subject......insert some veiled thing about never coming back, yadda. yadda." And I see you've conveniently left the door open so you can pop in then disappear again. The reason I'd not share anything with you is you are an admitted faker and I'd not do anything to make your fakery better or more convincing. so there it is. Once a liar and a faker, always a liar and a faker as far as I'm concerned.

If you do leave......which I seriously doubt you will, more likely you'll just post under one of your other board names........but if you do, that is simply your choice. Personally, I'll not miss you.

Don't let the screen door hit you where the good Lord split you, on your way out.

:st

Oh Kenninsc....

For one, I am a admitted faker?.....I won a Bigfoot costume a while back, used it twice, if that. I have better things to do. I am not a " faker", and far from a " liar ". I do not post about being a ex- super hero war vet, or how I hiked the entire US. I post my opinions, and facts in a forum. If you have any evidence to support those claims, feel free to post them.( that I am a liar and a faker )

Other names?.....I have no other names here.

I said I am not being active as much anymore, and the way it is going, I am not sure I will at all. These subjects are getting more and more boring to me. They are all played over as a replay, year after year. Different characters, same stories and questions, and answers.

If I see any new claim, one that maybe Meldrum is involved in, I might get a interest again.

And, you are not any concern of mine if I am " missed " or not. Far from that. I can give you the joy of, it is people that have constant sarcastic replies ( like yours ) that make this less interesting. Although, for the most part, your replies are pretty good.

Take care Kenninsc, I hope whatever makes you angry a lot of the time goes away, you can be a nice person.

I will not reply Kenninsc, so you can have the last word. I imagine a mod will look at this, as you have been told numerous times to not flame bait me. ( as your name dropping did ). And in all fairness, I was told not to respond to you. I only did as it seemed we actually had some civil conversation going lately. I guess I let my guard down.

And remember, Chimpanzees and other primates do not " tree knock "....... :no:

Edited by Sakari

My friend's grandpa saw an "ape man" at a mountain clearing when he was a boy. He said that it sat on a log, and it definitely wasn't a bear. This person had little to no knowledge of Bigfoot, and he was a very honest person. This took place around 1920.

Where was he when he saw it? I mean, what state or country and maybe what large city it might be near?

I tend to put a bit more stock in some of these accounts as people weren't steeped in the whole mystic' of Bigfoot as they are now.

Where was he when he saw it? I mean, what state or country and maybe what large city it might be near?

I tend to put a bit more stock in some of these accounts as people weren't steeped in the whole mystic' of Bigfoot as they are now.

He was in a rural town in the Appalachian region. It wasn't close to any large cities. He was in the hills and the woods, away from even the tiny town, when he spotted the "ape man". Like you said, the fact that he never even thought about Bigfoot was telling.

I finaly got in touch with my buddy tonight who has the Original VHS tape with the images, film or whatever you want to call it, of the clear and broad daylight sighting of The Thing caught in the background with the camcorder that he had set up on a tripod to record our archaeological project 24 years ago. I isn't blurry or anything. The huge thing finaly stood up from the tall grass where it was hidden and turned around and while looking over its shoulder, walked back into the tree line. Anyway, the tape is stored away and my buddy will start looking for it tomorrow, then make me a copy and send it to me. I should be able to transfer that onto a dvd after buying one of the machines that do that sort of thing. However I don't know how to transfer that onto the computer where I can send a link to it to this site. It's an eye opener. What's on the video proceeded what happened next when I and two other guys then went into the woods and pretty much just ran into the thing while it was walking away. As I said in my earlier description of the incident on the other thread, we stopped and just stared for awhile as we took the image in from about 35 to 40 feet away. Man, it's impossible to convey the effect that coming up on such a thing all of a sudden has on you. Anyway, I'm going to try to get the film, or at least part of it on here. I've been really thinking it over and I think it'd be a tragic waste to have such a film and not allow others to see it. To heck with my thick skin. If the film doesn't encourage others to look a little deeper and more seriously into the subject, then there's just going to have to be something else that will. I can't help anyone make their mind up on the subject. I'll say this... it's easy for folks to go on about something that they've never seen or witnessed. They can pontificate about how logic reasining just can't back up the existence of the creatures or of why there should very likely be something behind it all. But honestly, until a person see's one in broad daylight and up close, they don't have any real foundation to dispute the existence of them. All folks can really say is that because they haven't seen one yet, they don't Believe in the existence of them. Anyone arguing that there just ain't no such critter because they've Never seen one isn't putting forth a credible argument. I happen to know that they do exist. I know that because I've seen at least one with my eyes up close, chased it and heard its unique and inhuman cry. So, as I've said before, I'm not a believer. I'm a witness to their existence. That doesn't take faith. It's just observing a fact. Fred

Edited by Whitedog333
  • Like 1

Wow! I would highly encourage you to see if you can't get it digitized and post it up so we can have a look at, I know I'd like to see it.

Mind you, you don't have to post it in a public place, you can post it on a private webpage and grant us access to see it if that would make you feel better about it. Who knows, you might have the Holy Grail of all Bigfoot videos.

I finaly got in touch with my buddy tonight who has the Original VHS tape with the images, film or whatever you want to call it, of the clear and broad daylight sighting of The Thing caught in the background with the camcorder that he had set up on a tripod to record our archaeological project 24 years ago. I isn't blurry or anything. The huge thing finaly stood up from the tall grass where it was hidden and turned around and while looking over its shoulder, walked back into the tree line. Anyway, the tape is stored away and my buddy will start looking for it tomorrow, then make me a copy and send it to me. I should be able to transfer that onto a dvd after buying one of the machines that do that sort of thing. However I don't know how to transfer that onto the computer where I can send a link to it to this site. It's an eye opener. What's on the video proceeded what happened next when I and two other guys then went into the woods and pretty much just ran into the thing while it was walking away. As I said in my earlier description of the incident on the other thread, we stopped and just stared for awhile as we took the image in from about 35 to 40 feet away. Man, it's impossible to convey the effect that coming up on such a thing all of a sudden has on you. Anyway, I'm going to try to get the film, or at least part of it on here. I've been really thinking it over and I think it'd be a tragic waste to have such a film and not allow others to see it. To heck with my thick skin. If the film doesn't encourage others to look a little deeper and more seriously into the subject, then there's just going to have to be something else that will. I can't help anyone make their mind up on the subject. I'll say this... it's easy for folks to go on about something that they've never seen or witnessed. They can pontificate about how logic reasining just can't back up the existence of the creatures or of why there should very likely be something behind it all. But honestly, until a person see's one in broad daylight and up close, they don't have any real foundation to dispute the existence of them. All folks can really say is that because they haven't seen one yet, they don't Believe in the existence of them. Anyone arguing that there just ain't no such critter because they've Never seen one isn't putting forth a credible argument. I happen to know that they do exist. I know that because I've seen at least one with my eyes up close, chased it and heard its unique and inhuman cry. So, as I've said before, I'm not a believer. I'm a witness to their existence. That doesn't take faith. It's just observing a fact. Fred

Looking forward to this!

Wow! I would highly encourage you to see if you can't get it digitized and post it up so we can have a look at, I know I'd like to see it.

Mind you, you don't have to post it in a public place, you can post it on a private webpage and grant us access to see it if that would make you feel better about it. Who knows, you might have the Holy Grail of all Bigfoot videos.

Hmmm, I don't think that anything short of a personal experience would convince most people. That includes myself. I've had that now. But man, How could I expect anyone to accept visual proof from a film in this day and age when all sorts of stuff can be faked and computer generated? I guess that I'll just put it out there and it'll be one more (although a Great one) interesting segment of film on the internet. Maybe somebody can clean it up to better analyze it, or do whatever smart, talented people do with their computers. It seems to work on TV shows anyway.

WD? If you want to post it up, then do so. At least then we could all see it and decide for ourselves, if you're not going to post it then please stop with the teasing. I'll only respond further after you post it up.That is to you directly..

Edited by keninsc

I recall when I came here about this time last year, I gave an account of what my two friends has seen and my own sort of left handed encounter which is not much to really talk about.

And in short order got hammered by a number of long time posters here, so badly in fact that I put several on the ignore function so I didn't have to read their venom. Unfortunately, when you talk about such encounters, even second hand, you're going to get hammered by skeptics. Hell, I still have one guy on my ignore list, the rest sort of settled down. But let's be real, if you post a story and you're going to get hammered, why post the story? Sort of like if you date a guy who's going to abuse you, then why go out with him? Odds are it's just not going to be a pleasant experience.

Now I did get several messages from posters who related to me they'd had the same experience from basically the same people and asked to remain anonymous which seemed a reasonable request based on what I was experiencing. Then oddly, I'd post on other threads and found that most of the guys who'd hammered my old, shriveled up butt so badly shared many of the same observations and apparent beliefs I did......so why all the hammering when I first got here and told the accounts told to me? Personally, I've never seen a Bigfoot, found any prints, or anything. Now I did encounter a nasty odor while hunting one day, but that was all. No sighting, or vocalizations, no tracks or hair, just the smell like body odor taken to an exponential level that very nearly brought tears to my eyes. I've stated over and over again that this was proof of nothing and there could be very simple and normal explanation for what I encountered. As it turned out right after this encounter my first Buddy told me of his encounter of actually seeing a Bigfoot. He was hunting and set up over looking a old logging road when he saw what he first thought was a bear. But then he realized it was up on two feet and walking like a human. He prepared to shoot it but as it got closer he said he could see it's face and the face looked too human and it was human shaped just completely out of all proportion to what a normal human should be, he also caught a whiff of it and said it didn't smell animal it smelled human, really rank human. He wound up passing on the shot because he said it just looked too human and while he had no hang ups with shooting animals or humans if they attacked him, this creature wasn't aware of his presences. Then it turned and disappeared into the brush, after he was sure the creature was gone he packed up and left and never went hunting again.

It took over a year for him to tell me the story. The second encounter was by a friend in Virginia and he told me almost the exact same story. Nether of these guys knew each other and both were men I respected and still respect.

Now, can you imagine, someone having this sort of experience, they finally work up the nerve to post it on the web and suddenly they get hammered like a horse shoe on a black smith's anvil? Granted there are a lot of misidentifications, liars, and people fooled by others who themselves are sincere but have been duped by others. Then they tell what they saw or experienced only to have a load of oldies pounce on them, call them liars and basically treat them like a warm, steaming pile left by the dog on the kitchen floor. The only reason I hung around here was because several posters messaged me and I realized there might be some good here after all. Yeah, we still got flamers and a$$holes, but we do have people who are sincere and are looking for truth and fortunately they out number the less desirable group.

I've never had an encounter of Bigfoot but have been open minded to the subject. I don't understand why people can't be more open

to subjects out of the ordinary like this since there's been a lot of sightings to support it. But instead there's quick debunking and ridicule.

My guess is most of us have had a conditioning since childhood that this is the way the ball bounces and if the ball bounces the other way it's considered Taboo.

In fact there are some boards on the web if you even suggest you might be in the least skeptical they'll toss you out on your ear. I left the BFRO forum because I had the audacity to question a report one of their anointed field researchers put out. In short order I got not one, not two but three emails telling me to knock it off or face the possibility of excommunication from the Board. I opted to leave on my own after that. And it wasn't like I said, "Aw you're full of...........!" or anything like that, I simply thought the footprints looked like a double bear print.

Heh. I was a member of a MRA (Men's rights activist) forum and got literally banned for a horrible statement. I said I like women - that the law favored them in many ways and most don't even think about it. I was told that women were evil and making a conscious effort to enslave men and sympathizers like myself weren't welcome.

I believe almost any niche forum shares this attitude. Go to an electronic cigarette forum and state that there's been no long term tests on the effect of inhaling the various agents used to flavor the nicotine used in them and you'll get flamed instantly. Like I said, it's the nature of specialty forums. I imagine there's a great deal of comfort in preaching to the choir since you'll never be challenged.

Which brings us to a forum like this. A general discussion forum. Most people who find their way here from the specialty forums are shocked and overreact to criticism. They've been in a world where questioning was verboten. How many times have you seen a new poster react to very polite opposition with, "Why are you even in the XXXX section if you don't believe?"? I've personally learned a lot here both reading and debating various subjects. I just think forums like this are good for people who actually are interested in learning logic and truth as opposed to just swapping ghost stories.

Topic title: Lack of Personal Bf Encounters

*doubletake*

I was totally reading that as "Lack of Personal Boyfriend Encounters"

And back on the topic of bigfoot :D

I don't tell people this a lot because I worry that people'll think I'm crazy, buuuut...

I was in a strip club once. I knew one of the girls liked me and being in the mood to take advantage of that I suggested that she come home with me after work to see if we still get along well when we're both naked. She agrees that this is something worth exploring and we decide to do so. When she gets off work, we step outside and there's her boyfriend waiting to give her a ride. Well, in another of the odd psychological quirks I've noticed in the human species, instead of getting mad that the woman he refers to as his fiance was not only going to go home with another man, but hadn't bothered to call him and tell him she didn't need a ride, he gets mad at the man for suggesting it. He takes a swing, I swing back, bouncers rush into the parking lot and pile on. Cursing ensues. Feelings are hurt.

Call me a liar if you want. I KNOW what happened...