Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Polar bears are doomed

Still Waters

Regularly flown-in loads of seal meat could feed hungry polar bears and prevent them from wandering into coastal villages in search of food when they are suddenly unable to find it elsewhere due to global warming, according to the world’s top polar bear scientists.

Currently, however, no such plan exists in any of the five nations with jurisdiction over the globally threatened species, the researchers warn in a new paper. And that’s a problem, given that just one exceptionally early breakup of sea ice could leave a large number of bears starving.

http://science.nbcne...m-report-says?=

Yeah, doesn't look good for them without international intervention of some sort.

Well since they are interbreeding with grizzlies, they won't go totally extinct unless grizzlies also kick the bucket.

Excuse me "the world's top polar bear scientists" hahaha that cracks me up...

I'm so sick and tired of "save the polar bears"

First of all as Professor Buzzkill have linked. In recent years polar bear population have been on the rise in the last couple of decades.

Second of all stop blaming GlW. We have had ice free arctic many times before and guess what? The polar bears are still here. I hate people who try to use science for an agenda which science ACTUALLY DOESN'T agree with.

Last week when i was in London some hippies was collecting money "to save the polar bears from global warming" As i'm studying atmospheric science i know a thing or two about this topic. I showed the hippies 2 studies which showed we have had ice free arctic many times in the last 10.000 years. Guess what - they refused to acknowledged it.

I bet 95% of the people collecting money to save the polar bears, don't know polar bears don't need to be saved. They have survived so many times before despite an ice free arctic.

I would like to thank these so called *world's top polar bears scientists" for misleading the general public and teaching them lies.

Edited by BFB
  • Like 2

So at which point exactly are we going to start worrying about seals? I'm not trying to be heartless but, the huge majority of all the species that have ever lived on this planet have gone extinct, for a wealth of reasons. Nature doesn't care what the reason is, and once a species extinct, neither do they - they're gone. Human-induced causes are no different, except in our own mind and conscience. But the fact is, when one predator dies, that means its prey will multiply, giving greater opportunities for its other predators to also multiply and therefore for both or all species to spread, to new areas, to which they gradually adapt better and better giving rise to new species over the aeons. That's always been the way - some go extinct, others take their place. What's wrong with that? If an alien space-faring race was as stupid as us, when they travelled by Earth just as the dinosaurs were dying out, they would've wanted to save them or re-introduce them thinking how great they are "saving the planet". Only thing is, we wouldn't be here today. As George Carlin says, "Let them go gracefully"

What a load of codswallop. Polar bears aren't in danger. Despite what the global warmists say, polar bears are good swimmers and they can easily find fish.

Today there are 25,000 polar bears in the arctic, compared to just 5,000 in the 1950s

• Like 1

Today there are 25,000 polar bears in the arctic, compared to just 5,000 in the 1950s

Right, and before the 1950's when the Eskimos didn't have snowmobiles and high powered rifles, what was the bear population?

100,000? 200,000?

Everyone's so thrilled that their near extinction level of 5000 is now 25,000. Whoopee! I'm sure they said the same thing when the buffalo herds recovered from 100 to 1000. Woohoo !

Everyone needs to really wake up. This planet is one big eco system. Everything is connected. We lose one species by our hand, who knows what will happen or is happening.

Remember the Great Sparrow Campaign of China in the 1950's. We all know how that ended.

• Like 2

What a load of codswallop. Polar bears aren't in danger. Despite what the global warmists say, polar bears are good swimmers and they can easily find fish.

Good points. I just did a little internet research and found them to be great swimmers for extremely long distances and very adaptable in feeding/survival strategies during climate changes.

At some point they must, of course, come out of the water onto floating ice or to a shoreline to rest/sleep... they are not fish and can not easily rest in open water, and most definitely can not sleep in open water...

Not sure, but I believe that breeding and raising the pups must also be done outside open water.

I don't know if they are endangered or not. I do know that they think I am food! Do they taste good?

I don't know if they are endangered or not. I do know that they think I am food! Do they taste good?

Nah, polar bears are cold-climate adapted evolutionary cousins to grizzly bears.

They just rip-out your thigh meat, chew on your neck and head, then leave. Must not like our perfume, cologne, hairspray, clothing and pizza/beer diet too much.

Unfortunately, those events often cause severe maiming or death to humans. They are VERY powerful animals with awesome teeth and claws. BTW, they have REALLY bad breath. :passifier:

Edit: Oh, and don't be near their pups. They will go for a direct kill even if not hungry.

Edited by pallidin

Polar bear are most definitely endangered! Obama took them off the endangered list, probably to appease big oil companies like Shell drilling in the arctic. This is a massive threat to the bears and the other creatures who live in the arctic. Sad to see a mother bear emerge from her den to find a huge construction built almost on top of her den.

Humans should stay out of the arctic. in so far as oil extraction.

@ TheLazyGun. That's not actually true that polar bears can easily find fish. They eat seals, not fish {never seen polar bears fishing}. And they are starving due to the ice melting faster than normal, leaving them stranded. They are great swimmers, but not machines, they have to rest somewhere. Many images of dead floating bears who died of exhaustion and starvation.

"Save the animals and kill the people" ...Wow.. our governments has some really scewed up priorities.

ill read this more but for now we could alot of things though.we need to start using green energy and resources as well such as soler powewr,wind power and water power and many more clean energy resources already avaialble to us there's no researching for new ones when we already have them right now the future is right now not later.as for thepolar bears ill think of great optionslater and get back at you guys:)

Some how it's not just the bears that is affected, but this whole global warming is slowly destroying everyone and everything in this planet. Like it or not, this planet is set for destruction, it's just the way it is. It is the law of this universe. "Every beginning must have an end"

I wish we can all help them.it makes me up set seeing these awesome bears die off or any animals.iam an animal lover

Simple reason ... too many humans. Not so simple solution ... convince humans to procreate at a rate that diminishes the worldwide population or they too will become extinct. Unfortunately, most humans either lack the intelligence or are simply too self-absorbed, that is, they lack foresight, discipline, altruism, ... so, is selflessness truly possible?

to the scientist mother nature will not allow that and will presrve life in many ways and by that i do not iclude extiction okay!:)we have options already guys we have to start using Solar power,wind power,water power and many resources provide by mother nature already and we need to go green.global warming in not manmade but we could and are making things worse.another thing is guys just because we have green energy resporces does not mean you or any other agency or organization to charge for it when its free and should be free.you can't charge for solar power or etc when its free.sorry for saying this people but if you guys pay for using the power of the sun and etc your really dumb or even if you allow them to charge you.its from nature anything from nature is free and should be free and is free.lets protect mother nature and take care of her as well including being respectful to her!!!example lets thank her and if we cut down a tree lets plant two more trees:)i a tree hugger and im glad.polar bears i wish them the best of luck and i hope they don't die anytime soon all life is precious honestly!!!:)