Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Squids 'can fly 100 feet through the air'

Still Waters

The mollusc propels itself out of the ocean by shooting a jet of water at high pressure, before opening its fins to glide at up to 11.2 metres per second, Jun Yamamoto of Hokkaido University said.

Olympic Gold medallist Bolt averaged 10.31 metres a second when he bagged gold in London last year.

"There were always witnesses and rumours that said squid were seen flying, and we have proved that it really is true," Yamamoto told AFP.

http://www.telegraph...gh-the-air.html

• Like 1

Oh Good Lord...that's just what we need now, flying squids.

And SyFy is probably now making a movie about them.

Had no idea they could do this. Learn something new on here all the time.

Ha well I never! As an occasional fisherman, I know lots of fish can leap out the water when being chased by predators - (we even had a Perch jump in our boat once...after 3 hours of catching nothing too- in fact about 20 popped out of the water at once), but as others say its the first time I knew squid did.

Still its probably the best way to get out of a predators sight. Maybe they were being chased by 'Jack the Kipper'? :w00t:

• Like 1

Wnoder if there is a film of this event. The article only mentions the picture shown. Would be cool to see.

More nightmare material...

hardly a nightmare when so small. But then again spiders are small and they scare the crap out of some people, but not me thankfully. (Im just terrified to death over the bigger - coin sized ones!)

this couple were boating, flying squids landing on their boat...(hate days out like that)

Imagine a squid coming at you through the air, quite a sight!

Kill them... Kill them with fire!!!

Doing it that way - its called calimari... and then ...everyone loves them! nom nom nom with a bit o lemon juice! :yes: