Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Non-believers, why do you post here ?

Simbi Laveau

Simbi and L, if you get posters with heavy bias tones towards your posts or throw rimshot insults at you through your posts, just use the ignore function. It's the best thing you can do for yourself. There's no need to quit posting in certain sections or stress over it, just use the ignore function and continue posting to those who respond to you with courtesy. Believe it or not, I've been told by those of the opposing side of whatever the subject is about, does this as well. Once you put them on your ignore list and they see that your not responding to their posts, they'll quit quoting your posts and eventually leave you alone. I mean, if your not gonna respond to them and they see that, what the hell is the point in them continuing on with you. They might as well put you on their ignore list and save themselves from wasting their time.

There are always a few Thought Nazis on every forum, that doesn't mean of course that some of those who disagree with you are that way. Usually the ones, who or not heavily bias towards you opinions, debate with you for a while and finally just agree to disagree. The ones who don't, keep hammering on you with occasional rimshot insults and won't let up. You just got to figure out who they are and use the ignore function. Best thing I've seen on any forum was the ignore function. It really does help. ;)

*blows kisses*

I have no problem with people disagreeing.

The conspiracy threads ,I do not expect anyone to share my views .

But if I'm posting on a medical thread,given ive been a medical professional for 30 years,I find it RUDE for anyone to claim I know nothing about medicine ,because their experiences are not the same as my own.

I also find it beyond pompous ,to say,well you can't say that ,you don't have the proper college education to say it,when I do.

Especially when they have no idea what my degees are,and they do go after my every post .

As for spiritual issues,its called faith for a reason.

Sadly,we have a lot of trolls who post nonsense,to the point I don't always take them seriously.

And I do use the ignore function . People say its because I cannot complete the argument . More like I get tired of arguing with a prat who gets off on subtle trolling .

• Like 1

The reason I steered clear for so long was because unfortunately I assumed these forums would be similar to ATS forums. When I realised it was a healthy mix of multiple beliefs I joined up.

Also I see 'non-believers' attacked all the time, "Another sceptic", "You're too blind to realise", "You have no idea" etc. If anything, some believers go straight on the offensive if someone else doesn't believe their story or agree with them.

There's nothing wrong with trying to explain these mysteries, that's the challenge, and if some can't be explained, then it's even more interesting. :)

• Like 4

*blows kisses*

I have no problem with people disagreeing.

Yeah I figured that you are a reasonable person and can understand when someone just simply doesn't agree with you, as long as they are courteous about it. Most people are.

The conspiracy threads ,I do not expect anyone to share my views .

But if I'm posting on a medical thread,given ive been a medical professional for 30 years,I find it RUDE for anyone to claim I know nothing about medicine ,because their experiences are not the same as my own.

I also find it beyond pompous ,to say,well you can't say that ,you don't have the proper college education to say it,when I do.

Especially when they have no idea what my degees are,and they do go after my every post .

It's good you don't expect everyone to share your views in the conspiracy threads. That means your realistic and you know that if everyone agreed with what you posted, then something is seriously wrong or at least suspicious. You'd probably have a "WTF!" moment. (Hell, I would of thought I've entered the twilight zone or something, if that happened to me.)

As far as those making accusations of your medical education, telling you that you know nothing or just being down right asinine about it...all the more reason to put them on your ignore list, instantly; which I'm sure you do at some point, but instantly is always the best. Also, that may be the time when you may want to use the report function, because then they're attacking you personally and there is no need for that. And you don't have to deal with it, it's not really worth your time and why give yourself the headache trying to deal with it.

As for spiritual issues,its called faith for a reason.

Sadly,we have a lot of trolls who post nonsense,to the point I don't always take them seriously.

Good for you, I mean that. Taking them seriously draws you in for for personal attacks. Some people get bored and try to suck you in, just to argue with you for the hell of it.

And I do use the ignore function . People say its because I cannot complete the argument . More like I get tired of arguing with a prat who gets off on subtle trolling .

Yeah that's a rimshot insult to draw you back into the argument with them, don't fall for it. They just want to keep hammering on your ass until they get somekind of self feel good dominace over you. Makes them feel special if they think they're keeping your butt in line with their accusations, arguments and whatever else they throw at you.

Overall with debates, there is just simple disagreeing and than there is just being downright asinine about it. That's when you know the debate has lost it's appeal and is not worth your time.

Edit: Typos

Edited by Purifier

I understand that this forum is older than most ,and there's a wide diversity of people. I'm friends here with many skeptics ,but they do not go out of their way,to immediately jump on others because of their beliefs.

If you can speak and debate ,you have one thing .If you just keep repeating SHOW PROOF,or SEE A DOCTOR ,to people who believe what they believe because of things other people cannot comprehend ,or its based in faith , it doesn't seem like these people post to debate anything. They post because just because they like to act superior to people they deem beneath, them mentally .

This has caused many constituents of this forum ,to go to other forums ,and there are many people here who do not post,for fear of ridicule. which I think is a shame . .

And there are forums ,that have a title,and that is what they discuss there.

Its to exchange ideas with people who are in your clique .Not argue as to why you believe what you do.

Im not saying a good debate isnt a healthy thing , but my observation is ,its not always a debate ,as so much a bashing party .

My observation would have to be ,some people get off on the bashing part .

I mean there's a reason I posted this in psychology :)

But you do understand it's absolutely acceptable for ppl to ask for your arguments and proof to back up your claims?

You yourself simply blurt out stuff without backing it up quite frequently. And then you run away when ppl ask for a decent argument, claiming they are turning against you. It's called a discussion. Or you simply state that you're a paramedic, thinking that proves everything you claim.

I mean ... you do realise ppl do not have to believe you on your word ?

And that's not an insult, that's simply ppl wanting to find out things.

There are certain ppl here that make unexplained things or other topics about themselves instead of about the topic at hand.

When they claim something and somebody asks for proof or some logical argument of how they came to such a conclusion then that is not an insult, that's simply pointing out that what you or they say does not come across as reasonable.

Running away and saying non-believers don't belong here is a cop-out.

• Like 4

Personally, I think uninformed people can be very dangerous to others, hence why you see me pop up from time to time.

I also don't think it's doing any good, but you know what they say about playing 'Devil's Advocate'.

My official position is that :

1) there are unidentified flying objects, which are to date either hoaxes, or otherwise explainable phenomenon.

2) the universe is too big to not have other life forms

3)I don't believe that we have been visited by any of them, ever - yet.

I do apologize for the confusing nature of my post. I should have edited more correctly. Thanks!

No problema Orange. I thought that might be a case.

if I can comment your view.

1)or unexplained phenomenan

2)true, but in our life time? On cosmic scale we appears just recently. And if we dont change something we will be remember (by whom? universe) as a blink. So maybe there was civilization once. Maybe they destroy themselves. Also Im sure that ET life form will be much like we are.

3)Im open minded to idea of Ancient aliens. Also even greatest scientists speculated that ET might have be among us just wont let us know.

I used before ignore button. But I think that everyone needs sceond chance. Also ignoring isnt antidote to their poison. Because of their surpression Im sure new members are affraid to wrote and ask. If you ignore them they achive (?) their goal. So I rather fight them. Its hard environment. So let it be. Also I like to value my knowledge. And often those who insults might have knowledge about something which interests me. Its pitty only that they dont have manners.

• Like 1

I would LOVE to find something, anything, that could have no other explanation other than "paranormal" or "alien".

So far...nada.

Nibs

• Like 3

I would LOVE to find something, anything, that could have no other explanation other than "paranormal" or "alien".

So far...nada.

Nibs

And if we do, you would tell: We need more research! Maybe Im wrong.

Unless it has been throughly researched and the exact nature of the alienness or paranormality of the phenomenon has been established, what's wrong with calling for 'more research'?

'It's paranormal' is not a satisfactory explanation for anything any more than 'it's normal' or 'it's supernatural' or 'it's alien' is an explanation. It's just a very vague description.

Unless it has been throughly researched and the exact nature of the alienness or paranormality of the phenomenon has been established, what's wrong with calling for 'more research'?

'It's paranormal' is not a satisfactory explanation for anything any more than 'it's normal' or 'it's supernatural' or 'it's alien' is an explanation. It's just a very vague description.

Nothing wrong. Just thats where conversation ends with that statement. I rather like to discuss working hypothesis then shut down conversation. What if...Lets say...How about this...Nothing wrong being wrong. Its process of learning. Its process of science. Most of scinetific theories were wrong.

• Like 1

To be fair you do bring acupuncture into a lot of the medical threads to the annoyance of other posters, especially when the topic is not even about acupuncture, yet you tend to turn it around and then get annoyed when nobody is interested. You also have a very biased view point towards general medicine in as much as you have nothing good to say about it. When you enter a discussion thread with nothing but that on your mind, it is bound to receive some negative responses. In cases like those how much medical experience you have is of no interest to anyone else.

• Like 4

Yup. Agreed.

Nibs

I like the way you put those two sentences right next to each other.. :D If you are willing to admit that you might be wrong, then .... doesn't that obviously suggest that you needed to be in possession of more facts..? Isn't that called ... research?

If you, or anyone, has compelling and adequately researched 'proof' of any mysterious, non-explainable thing, be it anything from the Apollo missions being faked, right through to extra-sensory abilities, ghosts, aliens, bigfoot, whatever - then why not post it right now, here on this thread? (If not for me, for Her Nibs!)

It seems to me a whole lot of angst is being directed at those who tend to do the most real research here... ie .. skeptics. Pretty much, by definition, that's what skeptics do. I find it rather annoying that the term skeptic seems to have been redefined - one might even suggest that the whole point of that re-definition is to generalise and take a swipe at anyone who is a 'skeptic'. 'Skeptic' on this thread seems to be defined as someone who publicly dares to dispute your closely held belief, no matter how wrong it is, no matter if it is potentially damaging...

Funnily enough, I think skepticism is one of the most important attributes we have - being skeptical is how we, as a race, perform the rather important task of NOT necessarily believing any old piece of drivel that is placed in front of us...

• Like 1

Credulity versus Skepticism versus Cynicism. The English language has this one right on.

Speaking of English, I had to double-check to be sure I had "versus" right, and I'm still not quite sure.

Edited by Frank Merton
  • Like 1

I can see how something can be "abnormal," meaning unusual, often in a pejorative way, but I don't see how anything that really exists can be "paranormal." The very fact of existence means to me that it is normal -- within the universe.

I have the same problem with the word "spiritual." Say there are "spirits" about -- then they are about, they have existence, and by definition then they are physical things. They may not be composed of the stuff we are composed of, but they are composed of something. If they are able to have any impact whatsoever on us (be seen, heard, felt, smelled, whatever, then they have to have physical attributes).

• Like 1

There will always be believers and non-believers on virtually any subject (remember the Flat Earth Society?). Not everything we experience can be proven by the scientific method, i.e. you can't put God in a box. Some things like religion are transcendent, if you tried to explain them scientifically you would likely fall short. Other things that seem to be physical may or may not be. Take UFOs, some are undoubtedly cases of hoaxes, mistaken identity, military "black projects", results of drugs and alcohol abuse, delusions, etcetera. Does that mean they do not exist? Not necessarily there is a small percentage of sightings that defy explanation, however there is very little physical evidence and we certainly have no "body", nor has a ship land in D.C., a-la The Day the Earth Stood Still. So where you have a lack of 100% convincing proof of a subject, it is difficult for that subject not to cause skepticism and really that is healthy. Because you can look at it from the opposite perspective: what if UFOs (as an example) DO NOT exist and never have, and we are alone in the universe? Then there are a lot of delusional or mistaken people some of whom have attached a cult like status to aliens from another world, and that is probably unhealthy.

Humans can be a superstitious lot and some of it is based on faulty observations and lack of scientific knowledge. Man used to think that flies were spontaneously generated from corpses, until a little observational science was done.

This is not to say these things are not worth investigation; once the Giant Panda was regarded as myth, until it was discovered in the bamboo forests of China. So what of Sasquatch? Well, there is some anecdotal evidence, bits of physical evidence like hair and footprints, and lots of eyewitnesses (yes, who could be mistaken) so it is probably worth investigation. But again they too may not exist, so no matter how many times people go out and look for Bigfoot or Nessie unsucessfully, there will always be those who say that "you just haven't found them YET". I prefer to keep and open mind about it all and if one day someones finds a Sasquatch that was hit by a Semi on I-10, well I'll be pleasantly surprised (and a bit sad). Just remember you can't prove a universal negative and you can never say with certainly that God, aliens, cryptids, etcetera, do not and cannot exist, because that is an opinion and an opinion is also not fact.

Now get out there and fight for your beliefs!