Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Xbox 720 expected to require an Internet

ExpandMyMind

Rumors regarding the next round of consoles are always taken with a grain of salt, but when a respected gaming publication like Edge prints details about the new hardware, you tend to take a bit more notice. And what Edge has learned is not going to make gamers rush out and buy the next Xbox.

With the launch of the Xbox 720 Microsoft is expected to completely wipe out the used gaming market. The reason being the console will be an always-connected device that will require a constant connection to the next version of Xbox Live in order to function.

The games will be made available to buy through Xbox Live or in physical form using a 50GB Blu-ray disc format and a one-time use activation code. The leaked specs of the machine are also accurate, with Microsoft choosing to use an 1.6GHz 8-core AMD processor, 800MHz GPU, and 8GB RAM. We can also expect the next generation of Kinect hardware, but this will again be a separate product gamers can choose to buy.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/xbox-720-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-function-2013026/

Related:

Xbox 720 could block second-hand games

The next Xbox console will reportedly block second-hand gaming thanks to a combination of permanent internet connectivity and game activation codes.

Edge magazine notes that, although the console will still have the capacity to play games issued in physical form, these games could ship with activation codes effectively tethering them to the initial user's account.

The reports come courtesy of the publication's sources working on projects related to the next-gen console.

"Microsoft has asked itself what kind of consumer is going to buy its next Xbox and surmised that it's the kind of consumer with a decent internet connection," said Neil Long, online editor of Edge, as reported in the Guardian. "Like the App Store and Steam, the next Xbox will be download-first, one account, one purchase, one storefront system. It will offer far greater flexibility on pricing, but games players are used to thinking in terms of £40 to £50 games in boxes. Microsoft could have a difficult time explaining that games will now be tethered to one account."

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-02/08/xbox-720-games-drm

If either of these turn out to be true then I'll definitely be switching to the new Playstation, assuming they don't go down the same road.

• Like 2

I don't think they would be able to legally enforce that, since you have a consumer gurrantee of a refund hence it would screw the one owner scheme in most cases of a refund. Unless they were working on new laws to govern internet gaming retail policies it just seems farfetched.

Instant flaw in the whole design, that and a lot of business will be looking to sue for damages, under the monopoly act. Xbox cannot force that you can only buy from them and them only and knock out the all middle men just remember a fair bunch of the stores that sell games are owned by the big wig corp ceo's they'll lose their whole business for boys 5+ and some girls, parents won't go out of their way to shop for presents because they can order the newest games straight from the telly, which in saying that also causes damages to sales for business the regular customer would have seen whilst doing that shop for little johnny and jenny. Well they can in ways enforce it, but whether under those circumstances it would not be a global console or a very limited access system, as the entire globe has not got an internet connection nor does most of the world have a decent speed on their connection. Yes you can say wireless internet technologies, but these are even slower and less reliable. As good as it looks, I doubt it'd happen because of all the red tape it would cause. It'd be like Microsoft damanding that from now on all PC Games be bought on microsoft.com .

• Like 1

I is possible that it could just be a rumour started by someone at Playstation.

I is possible that it could just be a rumour started by someone at Playstation.

Well Sony/Playstation is going for this method as well supposedly. So I wouldn't be too sure on that.

Companies like EA want this as well. A lot fo the high up corperate companies ar ebacking this sort of thing. The whole SOPA was part of it as well. EA wanted to use SOPA to close down steam because it is taking so amny sales awya from Origin, which sucks in comparison to steam.

Edited by Coffey

Well Sony/Playstation is going for this method as well supposedly. So I wouldn't be too sure on that.

Companies like EA want this as well. A lot fo the high up corperate companies ar ebacking this sort of thing. The whole SOPA was part of it as well. EA wanted to use SOPA to close down steam because it is taking so amny sales awya from Origin, which sucks in comparison to steam.

It's shocking. You should be able to buy any product and sell it; like a chair or a video or computer. If I had to pay £40 for every game then I can assure you I wouldn't waste the money. £40 for 30 hours worth of play? Less with most games out there? The only reason I spend the money on most games is because I can get them second hand for 5-15 quid. They expect us to pay a bucket-load for a game that will be played for a week then sit on a shelf for 20 years, useless.

I'll pay full price for a brand new game of quality, like Mass Effect, Halo, CoD. Games that you will actually play all throughout a year.

This is literally robbing the value of a game.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

The truth is that you don't buy a game.

You buy a licensing agreement that allows you to personally run the software. You never have ownership of the individual bits and bytes.

They're called EULA's for a reason. Just no-one ever bothers to read them.

• Like 1

The truth is that you don't buy a game.

You buy a licensing agreement that allows you to personally run the software. You never have ownership of the individual bits and bytes.

They're called EULA's for a reason. Just no-one ever bothers to read them.

Sure, it is the disk that you own (and that is what I was referring to when I said 'game'), but do the agreements forbid people from re-selling the actual disk? Or forbid you from taking it to a friend's house to play?

Sure, it is the disk that you own (and that is what I was referring to when I said 'game'), but do the agreements forbid people from re-selling the actual disk? Or forbid you from taking it to a friend's house to play?

Depends which country you're in. The EULA generally forbids resale. Currently, the US courts have upheld that, while the EU courts have ruled otherwise.

• Like 1

Depends which country you're in. The EULA generally forbids resale. Currently, the US courts have upheld that, while the EU courts have ruled otherwise.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info.

It's shocking. You should be able to buy any product and sell it; like a chair or a video or computer. If I had to pay £40 for every game then I can assure you I wouldn't waste the money. £40 for 30 hours worth of play? Less with most games out there? The only reason I spend the money on most games is because I can get them second hand for 5-15 quid. They expect us to pay a bucket-load for a game that will be played for a week then sit on a shelf for 20 years, useless.

I'll pay full price for a brand new game of quality, like Mass Effect, Halo, CoD. Games that you will actually play all throughout a year.

This is literally robbing the value of a game.

Completely agree, I only buy high end multiplayers now to be honest.

Unless a game has one hell of a story i hardly buy game swith only a single palyer campaign. Unless they are mega cheap.

• Like 3

This will suck. I buy all of my games secondhand. A new game costs between $50-60 bucks here in the States and considering that one of my favorite genres is FPS and nowadays cater to multiplayer online rather than single player campaigns.

These on average what like 10 hour games for the serious gamer. Naturally takes me longer as I am not a serious gamer. But still, I dont want to pay $50-60 bucks for a game I will play for like 2-3 days. No way!

Luckily, RPGs are my other favorite genre and better ones can offer weeks worth of gaming just to complete it.

If XBox goes this route I think they will destroy their marketbase IMO.

Dont buy it. Theres a bunch of FTP and thatll teach em. You teach em with your wallet

Dont buy it. Theres a bunch of FTP and thatll teach em. You teach em with your wallet

If these rumours ring true... I am switching to Playstation for sure.

If these rumours ring true... I am switching to Playstation for sure.

Sony/Playstation already stated they are doing this Months ago. lol

Game over man, GAME OVER! :no:

Seriously, if they do this I am just mind as well as stick with my 360 and collect up all my favorite games. I am not interested in a console in which the games themselves can only play for a single online account and have about as much value to anyone else as a used disposable razor. That, and retreat back to Nintendo.

That's too greedy!

Edited by B Jenkins
  • Like 1

Game over man, GAME OVER! :no:

Seriously, if they do this I am just mind as well as stick with my 360 and collect up all my favorite games. I am not interested in a console in which the games themselves can only play for a single online account and have about as much value to anyone else as a used disposable razor. That, and retreat back to Nintendo.

That's too greedy!

Completely agree.

I would love to see Sega make a return to the console market. They have jsut snapped up Relic and Company of hereos... I know thye ahve always been around releasing games etc, but a return tot he console market could be possible if they are willing to take a chance on a big title.

Would also love Nintendo to make a better gaming machine, I mean the Wii consoles seem so "karaoke". lol (they are good, just not for the serious stuff)

• Like 1

Completely agree.

I would love to see Sega make a return to the console market. They have jsut snapped up Relic and Company of hereos... I know thye ahve always been around releasing games etc, but a return tot he console market could be possible if they are willing to take a chance on a big title.

Would also love Nintendo to make a better gaming machine, I mean the Wii consoles seem so "karaoke". lol (they are good, just not for the serious stuff)

If Sony and Microsoft are serious and these arent rumours, I believe they will lose a large share of their marketbase. It would be a prime moment for Sega to step up to plate again.

Yes, Nintendo has always catered more to younger gamers with alot of lighter and cute games.

Have you heard of Ouya (pronounced Ooh-Yeah) console coming out this June for $99.99?

Video games just feel bigger and better on a TV screen. Surround Sound. HD. A room full of friends. Console gaming isn't going anywhere, but console games aren't as much fun as they could be. That's why we made OUYA: a new kind of game console, to bring groundbreaking games to the television in an entirely new way.

Games Only on OUYA

You download OUYA games directly to your console -- no discs to buy or scratch.

And the games on OUYA are made by some of the most inventive game developers in the business. Favorite franchises like Final Fantasy, brand new never-before-seen titles and hundreds of other games. Shooters, platformers, role-playing games, action games... You name it.

And, best of all, every game on OUYA is free to try. You might end up investing in that coin doubler, buying the healing elixir that extends your life, or unlocking the full version of the game, but everything -- absolutely everything -- is free to try. We believe you shouldn't have to buy it unless you love it.

Small... but Powerful

OUYA is about the size of a Rubik's cube, but it plays hard in full-screen HD. It uses an nVIDIA quad-core CPU and outputs via HDMI at up to a stunning 1080p resolution. It powers on instantly.

Need more storage? No problem. Just plug in an external hard drive into the USB 2.0 port. Like to hardwire your Internet? That's cool. Jack into OUYA's high-speed ethernet port. WiFi works too. If you want to develop games, just plug your laptop into our micro-USB port -- anyone can release an OUYA game. And the hardware opens so you can customize it if that's your bag.

We listen to our supporters, and try to evolve OUYA so it always gets better for them. When you buy OUYA, you become part of our effort to change how console gaming works.

A Controller That's Hard to Put Down

OUYA's Bluetooth controller will feel immediately familiar, and extraordinary. Hold it and enjoy its weight and balance. The aluminum faceplates are cool to the touch and fully customizable (they're removable). We've tried to build the fastest, most precise game controller around. And it has one special bonus -- a touchpad for another way to control things.

Connect up to four (4) controllers to any OUYA and play with your friends, or those randoms who keep coming over, from the comfort of your couch.

What's in the OUYA Box

OUYA game console

OUYA wireless controller with removable faceplates

HDMI cable

Two AA batteries

Power adapter

Specifications

OUYA Console:

Case: Sand-blasted Aluminum and Plastic

CPU: nVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core

Memory: 1GB RAM

Storage: 8GB Internal Flash Storage (expandable via USB Port)

Connectivity: WiFi (802.11 b/g/n), Ethernet port, and Bluetooth

USB: One USB 2.0 port, One Micro USB port

Output: HDMI (up to 1080p HD)

Dimensions: 75mm x 75mm x 82mm (2.9" x 2.9" x 3.2")

Weight: 300g (10.5 oz)

OUYA Wireless Controller:

Case: Sand-blasted Aluminum and Plastic

Connectivity: Bluetooth

Dimensions: 163mm x 109mm x 53.5mm (6.4" x 4.2" x 2.1")

Weight: 275g (9.7 oz)

Additional Requirements

You will need a valid credit, debit or prepaid retail card to download OUYA content. Your card will not be charged unless you choose to make a purchase. Though many games on OUYA will not require a purchase to unlock additional content or features, others may offer for purchase in-game products or additional features (like full versions or additional levels).

OUYA... lovingly made by a team of gamers who believe that console games will never die.

• Like 1

I belong to many video game sites this has been the kinda big news if ms does this they will lose next-generation.and sony would win but its all rumors.but the game will be linked with your gamer tag.anyways iam geting the ps4

If Sony and Microsoft are serious and these arent rumours, I believe they will lose a large share of their marketbase. It would be a prime moment for Sega to step up to plate again.

Yes, Nintendo has always catered more to younger gamers with alot of lighter and cute games.

Have you heard of Ouya (pronounced Ooh-Yeah) console coming out this June for $99.99?

Yeah exactly, would love to see it as well.

I haven't hear dof it before, it looks pretty good actually. I'll look into it further. Thanks for the info on it. :tu:

• Like 1

Yeah exactly, would love to see it as well.

I haven't hear dof it before, it looks pretty good actually. I'll look into it further. Thanks for the info on it. :tu:

You're welcome! I found it on the Gamestop site and they (the designers) have a video posted there too. :tu:

• Like 1

If the games download onto the machine, yes you won't have a physical copy, but every thing is becoming digitized these days.

Having the "games" as trusted and validated files on the next generation console, and having the games directly tied to your account makes it look like games could be easier to reclaim. You can manage your Xbox Live account online - you can retrieve your profile and download it to different a different hard drive if, let's say, your old Xbox 360 breaks down. Who's not to say having a more up to date, digitized, downloaded game on the next generation console isn't a bad thing? If your Xbox 720 breaks, having a recognized legitimate purchase of a certain item could only help you re-download it.

No they didn't. It's all rumor at this point.

No they didn't. It's all rumor at this point.

My bad got confused witht he discussion... I meant I stated earlier that there was a rumour months back of sony doing it. lol

Unfortunately, the Ouya isn't very powerful compared even to previous gen console, and, on top of that, it was announced that the Ouya would be released yearly.

http://mashable.com/...-yearly-update/

Also, new info rumours for the new Xbox (Durango)

http://kotaku.com/59...-theyve-got-one

Edited by Andami