Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Isopod hasnt eaten in four years .

Simbi Laveau

if this is a deep water creature ( http://www.seasky.org/deep-sea/giant-isopod.html ) perhaps the pressure difference between the tank and where it is suppose to live is effecting it. I don't see a zoo being able to create the pressure needed in a zoo environment.

• Like 1

It's anorexic, poor thing. If they have feelings it's probably depressed.

I know one thing for sure, the alien face with those giant insect eyes and flapping jaw dohicky thing s will haunt me every time I close my eyes.. ::Shudder::

No offense intended, Mr. number 1.

I agree. Keeping ANYTHING captive and separated from it's natural habitat seems cruel to me. It makes me wonder how much awareness such creatures have....

I have a cockatiel and we talk about subjects like these...

They eat rotten dead whales. That is how they get so big. If they want that bug to eat they need to offer it some rotten whale meat - with some blubber and skin attached.

you take a animal out of its nature habit and take it away from nature of course its going to be mad and rebel at times even take it to the extreme.if i was that giant Isopod i would the same thing.you want to study a living animal and how it behaves and really is study it in its natural habitat then you really know how they are.taking them away from their home and natural habitat is wrong.its one thing trying to save if you see it injured or etc but its another completely different story to take it from their home.i bet humans would not like it if some people would take them away from their home.put yourselves in their situations people wake up especially you scientist its funny you guys claim to be so smart yet you guys have more theories and etc and work with theories rather than answers science is useful but honestly science is a baby still lol for those who think science can solve anything and has the answers for everything you might want to rethink things and etc about science.poor animal

Edited by King Cobra 1408
  • Like 2

They eat rotten dead whales. That is how they get so big. If they want that bug to eat they need to offer it some rotten whale meat - with some blubber and skin attached.

Well it is in Japan, but they love their whale meat so I doubt they'll be wasting any on this little fella.

I would it be too out there to say, that maybe his sences are completely out of whack because of not being -100m below sea level? Maybe that would have a part to play in the electromagnetic forces to help this animal live, since it is used to pitch black surroundings?

it lives 100mtres underwater it dosnt eat fresh fish it probebly eats pondscum off the bottom of the ocean not only that im supised its not sick because of the lack of pressuire lets put it this way if u were living under 100mtrs of water (witch u couldnt suvive in ) would u be hungry?

• Like 1

So in summary, the little we know about these animals suggests they live in the ocean at ~100m, in the dark and scavenge rotten meat. So let's keep it in a small tank, at atmospheric pressure, under bright lights and feed it on fish...

If I've been born, is it to late to secede from my species?

• Like 2

I wonder how it's staying alive after 4 years of not eating... Could it be getting at least t trace amounts of nutrients via osmosis? If that's true maybe they can work with that to give him more.

My heart breaks for this poor creature. They tried 'rubbing it's face in the food' ...... for goodness' sake!!! What is the matter with these people?! After four years of not eating, why don't they just put it back where it belongs?

It's probably acclimated to captivity now . It would probably die if released.

Well it is in Japan, but they love their whale meat so I doubt they'll be wasting any on this little fella.

They waste tons of whale meat. That's part of the outrage about the whale hunting . And I mean literal tons .

Honestly, I doubt this has anything to do with depression, or if the animal is even aware of the fact it was 'captured'. There are some easy fixes for this, and I can't believe how stupid these people are for shoving dead fish at it everyday hoping it will eventually work. Might be time for a new tactic....

1) It could be stress. The tank is really small, and it may be too stressed by the small space to eat.

2) This animal is acustomed to living under A LOT of pressure. I doubt they replicated the crushing sea floor pressure in that tiny tank, and the difference it likely confusing/hurting it in some way.

3) It may not eat fish, if its a scavenger it probably eats dead whale or other rotting meat. Hell, even trying to see if it likes live fish might work. Change up the food until something works.

And those are just the obvious ones. They must not really be trying very hard... I have a high school marine bio class under my belt and even I know you must keep an animals pressure constant to that it grew up in.

I bet it's leeching the energy off of people so that it can evolve into it's final form... Godzilla.

• Like 1

Good luck trying to reason with Japanese, same culture that kill whales for "scientific" experiments. I bet those experiments are mighty tasty as well, aren't they?

• Like 1

Yep, its got to the be pressure. If I lived on the moon, I probably wouldn't eat so much either. Little guy is probably seriously disoriented.

If I've been born, is it to late to secede from my species?

Can I join you?

Can't they just use a stick, forcibly open his mouth then feed it like a baby?

Jeez...my mom used to be like, "come on, eat your strained peas", cue the shower scene music from psycho.