Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Isopod hasnt eaten in four years .

Simbi Laveau

http://en.rocketnews...ng-such-a-jerk/

A giant isopod at the Toba aquarium in Mie prefecture , Japan ,has been on a hunger strike for 4 years.

No one knows why .

The aquarium has played with temperature ,to coax it into eating .

It rubs its face in food,but doesn't ingest any .

It hasn't eaten since 2009

Staff is quite frustrated .

Personally ,I think its protesting Abe in office .... :yes: ,or just AKB48 in general :w00t:

Plainly they don't know enough about the animals to be able to keep them in captivity.

I agree. Keeping ANYTHING captive and separated from it's natural habitat seems cruel to me. It makes me wonder how much awareness such creatures have....
  • Like 5

Maybe hims tired of mackerels? they should try bacon. Its yum.

Edited by orangepeaceful79
  • Like 5

maybe it needs seasonal changes and is in a state of hibernation as the tempertures are choosen on what they think makes them happiest. they might not have to eat much at a certain temperature but have to find food when the temperature is lax and they need more energy.

• Like 2

maybe it needs seasonal changes and is in a state of hibernation as the tempertures are choosen on what they think makes them happiest. they might not have to eat much at a certain temperature but have to find food when the temperature is lax and they need more energy.

I think it said in the article they'd tried adjusting the temperature.

• Like 1

Maybe just Maybe it doesn't want to be stuck in a ******* tank!

Or it's vegatarian........ :w00t:

• Like 6

I agree. Keeping ANYTHING captive and separated from it's natural habitat seems cruel to me. It makes me wonder how much awareness such creatures have....

I've actually been to this aquarium .

I don't remember seeing the isopods at all ,but then they fixate on the whole pearl thing ,given the area.

Toba is where all the pearl divers are. The Ame they are called,and they're all women .Some in their 80s.

Mikimotos original location with a museum is there too .

So I was all interested in that ....I will see if anyone I know in Japan ,knows more ,because they pride themselves on being very advanced about animal care at their aquariums .

If we did not capture and study critters of all sorts we would know nothing about them in order to conserve and protect them. It is unfortunate that people kill off species and that some are only alive in zoos and aquariums but through the study of these animals it may be possible to reintroduce them into their native environments. At least we seem to have gotten over the habit of having to kill everything to get a sample...never know if the sample we got was the last one.

• Like 1

I dunno; if I were an animal in a zoo I might like it there. That's all a city is anyway, and I don't want anyone putting me back in the wild.

My heart breaks for this poor creature. They tried 'rubbing it's face in the food' ...... for goodness' sake!!! What is the matter with these people?! After four years of not eating, why don't they just put it back where it belongs?

• Like 3

I agree with 'trancelikestate'. If these creatures live at 100m depth then this one isn't going to feel very much at home in an aquarium at a depth of 0.5m or less. Stupid bloody people!

• Like 2

Maybe hims tired of mackerels? they should try bacon. Its yum.

Or maybe horse meat! (If you live in America you won't understand this!)

I live in Vietnam and I've heard about the horse meat in British beef, so I would trust they have too.

I dunno; if I were an animal in a zoo I might like it there. That's all a city is anyway, and I don't want anyone putting me back in the wild.

Animals are too much confined in zoos. They don't have their total freedom.

• Like 1

I live in Vietnam and I've heard about the horse meat in British beef, so I would trust they have too.

You have heard about the horse meat and you live in Vietnam? WOW!!!!

• Like 1

Animals are too much confined in zoos. They don't have their total freedom.

Yea, the total freedom to drown or starve or get eaten. I would say a lot depends on the zoo.

You have heard about the horse meat and you live in Vietnam? WOW!!!!

Why not? The press everywhere loves that sort of story.

Honestly, humans can be pretty thick, and cruel too. If this creature naturally scavenges for food on the ocean floor, then trying to force it to eat fish, seems more than ludicrous. I can't believe they have kept it like this for four whole years! Please put it back where it belongs, it's not your experiment, it's a living creature.

• Like 2