Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"like" point ranking

Ever Learning

One of the things i like about UM is that you can choose to "like" some ones comment and show your support. Your profile title depends on how many posts you have contributed to the forum, which i like as ii have been coming here for more than a year.

I was wondering if the idea of a "like ranking system " might show that a persons opinions in the past have been met with agreement and that they post positively rather than the other end of spectrum of people who troll often.

i would hazard the idea of a ranking " Dislike" title system but there are many ways it could be abused, such as "disliking" just because you disagree with that persons beliefs. " Disliking" could be done in this way, five dislikes count as a minus point to their points in ranking up.

I do have one more idea to make my previous ideas more workable. Even if a person isnt liked in one part of a forum, he might be exalted in another part of the forum. so your liked or disliked rank would be different depending on the forum area you were contributing.

it might make it easier to find new Mods, i say that not knowing the process of Moderator selection.

i look forward to hearing your critiques and how you might improve on my ideas or have a completely new suggestion your self.

Yours sincerely Armchair Educated

Edited by Armchair Educated
  • Like 3

I'd love a dislike button, Please give us one. As for likes. Sometimes they are given for good points or agreeable points but other times they are given for funny comments too so they're not a representation of how good a discussion the user can present. Anyhow, I think they're pointless without a dislike button. I also imagine that likes are sometimes given by some users to their 'favorite' UM members as well; I've been on plenty of forums to know that little 'in-groups' can form or that some are held in higher regard than others.

There already is a ranking chart by the way, I was 12th at one stage- It's posts and likes compared or some ****, dunno where I am now though.

• Like 1

I like the 'like' button cos it saves me typing a reply along the lines of 'I agree!' or 'lol'.

I agree (and I liked your post to prove it!)!

• Like 6

I would not want and would never use a "dislike" button. In fact its absence is one of the things that distinguishes this board in my mind.

Yes there are posts I think are obnoxious and hateful, but monitors can deal with them if I'm right; I just ignore them. In the meantime there is always the Golden Rule to keep in mind.

I often "like" posts I disagree with, for several reasons. First, I may be getting ready to post my disagreement, and I want the other person to know I'm friendly about it (disagreements sometimes don't seem that way to the other person no matter how careful I am). Second, I may just think that even though I disagree they still have a good point, or the point was well said, or something like that. Also, of course, if a post makes me smile I am very likely to "like" it.

• Like 7

Oh dear, no, this has been brought up before, it would just promote hit and run rudeness. At least by having to quote posts which you dislike, you have to explain why, and not just click "Dislike" and then stroll off without even saying why.

It's not like it would be an anonymous dislike. We'd see that 'USER' disliked this post. They can then be asked why. I doubt we'll get said option though - can't be offending people...

I think a point system would simply cause too many problems. It would promote descrimination, in that people who get a lot of Dislikes would be treated much worse, while those with a lot of Like ranking would be treated better. It is a metric that a discussion forum can probably do without.

• Like 5

I think a point system would simply cause too many problems. It would promote descrimination, in that people who get a lot of Dislikes would be treated much worse, while those with a lot of Like ranking would be treated better. It is a metric that a discussion forum can probably do without.

Compeltely agree with this. :tu:

• Like 3

Like the topic. But Im not necessarily here to be "liked". As I frequent the political forums it can get a bit nasty from all sides concerned. Then I can wonder into UFO land and its such a different vibe. So alls good.

I think might have achieved 1 popular post in my short UM career and that was from a comment made in the did the Illuminati sink the Titanic. Yes I agree it was one of my better moments not being known for excessive humor. :gun:

Edited by AsteroidX
  • Like 2

I was wondering if the idea of a "like ranking system " might show that a persons opinions in the past have been met with agreement and that they post positively rather than the other end of spectrum of people who troll often.

very good ideas there, its the points ranking bit which i am not sure about though.

not sure how this with go down in the religious or gun threads, many disagreements in those. I was called a troll once because I would not be converted towards someone elses opinion...that was just so not fair! :passifier:

I like the like button.... but sometimes ya tend to just click [like] instead of responding , textually ? It's fun to check your "like" notifications.. for actual responses.

• Like 1

Why on earth do we need a ranking system to see how many people like us and dislike us anyway? This is a discussion board, not a popularity contest. The Like button doubles for "I agree" or "good point," but a Dislike button would add absolutely nothing to a conversation. This is about sharing ideas and opinions and discussing them right? Not just saying "you're wrong!"

Why invite more negativity into our lives?

• Like 3

I like the like button.... but sometimes ya tend to just click [like] instead of responding , textually ? It's fun to check your "like" notifications.. for actual responses.

I quite often do that by mistake, often if I'm in a hurry to reply to something because I disagree with it vehemently. Consequently, it can sometimes seem as if I Like a post that I then go on to argue with, violently.

The Points ranking system some people are talking about is something I made up for the Show us your Ego Thread. http://www.unexplain...pic=240650&st=0

Personally I think the Like button is a great addition.. It's like the who want's to be a millionare "ask the audience" function.. You can skim though a post where someone has posed a tricky question and quickly see, from qty of likes, the most likely answer to the question..

Unfortunately, Ego doesn't see it that way.. Ego sometimes see's the accumulation of likes as a contest. Or as collecting UM brownie points :lol: ..

Sorry, but imo a "like" points ranking system would be a bad idea that would turn a lot of peoples posting's into an Ego Contest for likes and collecting Brownie Points.. Point in fact that I used the existence of this List to get peoples Ego's exposed.

2k4w03.jpg

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

I will admit whenever I get a "like," I check it out to see what it was I said (goes to show) but I am not interested in comparing with other people. The validity of some message has little if anything to do with how popular it is.

• Like 1

The problem with your table is that some of us have been posting for 5+ years previous to the Like system. So the higher percentages are strongly going to be tilted toward newer Membership. If someone has 10 posts and 10 likes, that is 100%. Yet says little of the poster, they may know what they are posting about or that they may just have a good sense of humor.

Users are also more likely to get "likes" in popular threads and popular forums and those who might be considered good contributors to the less viewed forums will have lower scores even though they aren't actually any less worthy posters.

And a single good or funny post that a lot of people "like" can push his/her number of likes way up.

On web forums, after I've been there a while, I start to form my own opinions about the worthiness of other regular posters, I don't need to see a score attached to them to form a judgment. At another forum I'm active on, the option is available to turn off reputation function, so I don't need to see all the bling attached to member's posts as a reminder of just how bleedin' awesome they are.

• Like 3

The problem with your table is that some of us have been posting for 5+ years previous to the Like system. So the higher percentages are strongly going to be tilted toward newer Membership. If someone has 10 posts and 10 likes, that is 100%. Yet says little of the poster, they may know what they are posting about or that they may just have a good sense of humor.

:lol: , Yes, I know. The topic of the "Most liked" Members list has been debated to death in the Show Us your Ego Thread.

There's more reasons why it shouldn't exist than reasons for it to exist..

Right now, peoples intention behind their posts is to comment on somerthing they feel is Important, funny, or just something that needs to be expressed..

If the Most liked Points Ranking system like the one in the Ego thread came about, Many people's Intention behind their posts would change.. And the change would not be positive imo.. It would create a culture/atmosphere of completiton between members. It would remove some of the importance from posting, and replace that with an egotistic fish for likes..

Mind you, it would be a positive change in the Fun & Games threads.... But counter productive elsewhere..

• Like 3

I like the 'like' button cos it saves me typing a reply along the lines of 'I agree!' or 'lol'.

:)

As for your ranking idea... lol

(only joking)

I agree.

Edit - Damn, Schiziod beat me to it!

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

The Points ranking system some people are talking about is something I made up for the Show us your Ego Thread. http://www.unexplain...pic=240650&st=0

Personally I think the Like button is a great addition.. It's like the who want's to be a millionare "ask the audience" function.. You can skim though a post where someone has posed a tricky question and quickly see, from qty of likes, the most likely answer to the question..

Unfortunately, Ego doesn't see it that way.. Ego sometimes see's the accumulation of likes as a contest. Or as collecting UM brownie points :lol: ..

Sorry, but imo a "like" points ranking system would be a bad idea that would turn a lot of peoples posting's into an Ego Contest for likes and collecting Brownie Points.. Point in fact that I used the existence of this List to get peoples Ego's exposed.

2k4w03.jpg

My Ego wanted to say this: I liked this post, because it has my name in it! (jk!)

Seriously, I will say that I enjoy being able to click the like button after reading a well-written, possibly sane and witty post. I enjoy that I'm able to encourage people to continue their good efforts, yet at the same time I do realise that my 'like' can be used as a force for utter good or for utter demise. One thing is certain though, I get a lot more enjoyment out of 'liking' on this forum than I do on FB:/ There are so many times one can 'like' someone's post regarding their latest haircut, or nail polish or where they're eating.

:tu:

• Like 2

The problem with the like button is that I hardly ever post any more. Or maybe that's a blessing?

• Like 2

i only suggested this for a bit of fun, if highly voted its not as if id walk round with my title on a badge.

• Like 1