Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"like" point ranking

Ever Learning

I think it's better to give than receive.

I only like posts with intelligence,humour and somebody agreeing with my viewpoint.

I'm also quite partial to liking posts where a poster has asked about somebody's well being and sympathised.

It's even better when the poster incorporates all this into one post and I'm certain there's a few masters at that.

There sure is a lot of thinking going on here and god knows how many hidden gems I've missed.

Tbh I sure do get a lot of likes when it comes to the occasional bit of humour I exhibit.

My most popular post was the one of Ty and Kayla where they managed to sleep on each other.

Tbh a forum is more about respect to each other than liking a particular post.

If you put a " dislike" function on this forum you'll be cruising for a bruising.

It will be even corrupt than the " reputation" system on my previous forum.

Where you get blinged up with stupid green blobs.

Spread the love indeed!

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 2

It will be even corrupt than the " reputation" system on my previous forum.

Where you get blinged up with stupid green blobs.

Spread the love indeed!

that latter bit got me thinking :blush: ; I've been on other forums* that have had a similar system, but some of them have had a "DISLIKE" function as well, and to be fair that's rarely been abused, and it didn't say "xxxx disliked this post", it just subtracted one point from the total, so anyone would have to be very observant, and not a little obssessive, to keep track of everyone's total to know whether one point had been subtracted. That seems a reasonably fair way of having a Dislike function. Anyway, this also included the ability to post a short message along with your vote, to say why you liked it, or a supportive message or something like that. That could be a useful facility sometimes, since it might save on having to post a reply just to say "good point, bruv" or "lol".

* or fora

• Like 1

I like a post when I agree with it, when it makes me laugh, when the person makes a good point even if I don't agree with it, or if a point's been made that I wanted to make but no longer need to.

• Like 1

My Ego wanted to say this: I liked this post, because it has my name in it! (jk!)

Seriously, I will say that I enjoy being able to click the like button after reading a well-written, possibly sane and witty post. I enjoy that I'm able to encourage people to continue their good efforts, yet at the same time I do realise that my 'like' can be used as a force for utter good or for utter demise. One thing is certain though, I get a lot more enjoyment out of 'liking' on this forum than I do on FB:/ There are so many times one can 'like' someone's post regarding their latest haircut, or nail polish or where they're eating.

:tu:

You found it, Professor T! Thank you! :)

• Like 1

that latter bit got me thinking :blush: ; I've been on other forums* that have had a similar system, but some of them have had a "DISLIKE" function as well, and to be fair that's rarely been abused, and it didn't say "xxxx disliked this post", it just subtracted one point from the total, so anyone would have to be very observant, and not a little obssessive, to keep track of everyone's total to know whether one point had been subtracted. That seems a reasonably fair way of having a Dislike function. Anyway, this also included the ability to post a short message along with your vote, to say why you liked it, or a supportive message or something like that. That could be a useful facility sometimes, since it might save on having to post a reply just to say "good point, bruv" or "lol".

* or fora

Imagine having a dislike and reputation option combined.

It will turn it into a level playing field especially if it's a hate forum.

Though the experience might make them wiser because they won't be continuously begging for reps.

I've seem threads based around reputation on my previous forum which turn respectable posters to crybabies.

Though through it all there was a lone crusader who decided it wasn't acceptable.

And yet this guys green blob situation got so bad it ended up like climbing ivy.

He was top of the shop because he had a different agenda to the rest of us.

However if the guy was here he would be laying into everyone in the " fun and games" sub- forum.

Tbh any " reputation" comments I left behind would be more constructive like " c'est magnifique and super- duper".

I prefer this system because begging for people to like you is desperate and more obvious.

Btw the reputation table there was even worst than the one the prof is displaying.

They didn't do percentages which showed disparity between all the other posters.

Edited by Medium Brown

I like a post when I agree with it, when it makes me laugh, when the person makes a good point even if I don't agree with it, or if a point's been made that I wanted to make but no longer need to.

In other words you like almost every post you see lol.

• Like 2

Snap!

Burn!!!

• Like 2

I mainly gives Likes to people I find attractive.

:santa:

• Like 1

I mainly gives Likes to people I find attractive.

:santa:

As good a reason as any, I guess.... :tsu:

• Like 1

I hardly give likes to anyone. I'm in general not fond of those aspects of forums, so I tend to ignore them. It's nothing personal.

I'm just a curmudgeon. Bah humbug.

• Like 2

Not really, no.

I like:

A point I agree with.

A joke I find funny.

A well made point I don't agree with, makes logical sense to me or has changed my opinion.

If I'm about to post something but what I'm about to add has been added by someone else.

• Like 3

I don't see the point in the like system. Why was it even brought in? Does having more likes then someone mean you're a "better UMer?"

• Like 2

I don't see the point in the like system. Why was it even brought in? Does having more likes then someone mean you're a "better UMer?"

I think the stated purpose was to prevent one word posts, such as "YES!", and "Cool", and "I agree".

I Like: A well made point I don't agree with, makes logical sense to me or has changed my opinion.

Awesome! (above likeing rational)

That imo, is a sign of someone who's ego is not controlling them..

Am crossing threads a little here Hasina, but I know you may have taken a little flack in the whole who's the most polular in the ego stakes with the existence of just a points ranking system..

:tu:

Edited to add little happy thumb face. :)

Edited by Professor T

Currently I have 145 likes and 2,148 (plus this one) posts to made me wonder what's my percentage of liked posts? (I guessed 7% is my estimate). Whoever had the most likes is simply a coincidence, not someone is "better liked" than the other member. I give likes to posts I really like and has a fun, interesting or "funteresting" point of what it's making.

Edited by Tsa-La-Gie Oyate

I think the stated purpose was to prevent one word posts, such as "YES!", and "Cool", and "I agree".

I agree.

• Like 3

I agree.

:lol:

Which obviously hasn't worked because at the point of me posting this there hasn't been a like between these two quoted posts..

* or fora

If anyone should have a point deducted, it should be the one posting the dislike, not the one receiving it. If you hate a post enough to incur that cost, then fine, but dislikes should not be free.

Currently I have 145 likes and 2,148 (plus this one) posts to made me wonder what's my percentage of liked posts? (I guessed 7% is my estimate). Whoever had the most likes is simply a coincidence, not someone is "better liked" than the other member. I give likes to posts I really like and has a fun, interesting or "funteresting" point of what it's making.

Refer to post #337 of this thread (page 23). This is for posters who have been members for longer than the like system has been installed.

You have 525 likes since the system was installed on April 28th of last year. With 145 likes that gives you a percentage of 27.62%. Better than 7%, though I know your estimate was based on all of your posts. Edit - Actually, I didn't count your 'stragglers'. You actually have 549 posts since then, not 525, which gives you a percentage of 26.41%.

(Diechecker, I tried this with you, but you have too many posts for it to work properly! You'd have to count all your likes since November (You have posted 1000 times since then) individually. Lol).

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Reading all the suggestions, I think in the end the system is about as it should be. The only thing I would change is to take out is the total likes that appears on one's profile. It leads to calculating ratios and competition and all that sort of misleading and unhelpful stuff.

• Like 1

Keep the like system as it would encourage me to read intelligent disccusions and not the mindless ones which are just not my time worth

(Diechecker, I tried this with you, but you have too many posts for it to work properly! You'd have to count all your likes since November (You have posted 1000 times since then) individually. Lol).

Ah MAN!!

Oh well. That is the result of Intel giving me a whole hour for my lunch break....

• Like 1

I think there should be a button that says "I like the first paragraph but disagree with the second" and "I don't like what you've said but I understand and can sympathize" Those buttons could be called "Partial Like" and ":(".

the ranking part doesn't matter to me..

• Like 2

Ah MAN!!

Oh well. That is the result of Intel giving me a whole hour for my lunch break....

If it's any consolation, it seemed like it would be a very high percentage.

• Like 1