Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fox Bites Off Baby's Finger In Cot Attack

Still Waters

May I offer a bit of advice...screen doors and windows? It's not like you have bears that will rip a door off the hinges.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

May I offer a bit of advice...screen doors and windows? It's not like you have bears that will rip a door off the hinges.

Easier to blame the fox. Maybe if there were a screen doors and windows lobby.

No excuse for generating so much rubbish without recycling. Food waste collections are weekly so whats the issue?

Food waste collections where I live are every 2 weeks, same with where my lives in Scotland.

• Like 2

No excuse for generating so much rubbish without recycling. Food waste collections are weekly so whats the issue?

They are no longer weekly and have not been for a few years now. they are fortnightly now, but the councils have but a lot more big bins around, although as I have mentioned, some have locks on, mainly the commercial ones. But the estates do have enough bins.

I still can not understand how in "poverty" areas, how they have so much rubbish, although a lot of it is fast foods junk.

recycling is a no no in many inner areas, they can not even be bothered to throw their rubbish in the bins provided, let alone sectioning them out for recycling.

• Like 1

They know the foxes are around, they have even been on tv saying so, so to leave a baby unattended with the doors open is not a good idea, foxes or no foxes.

I've never heard of a fox doing anything like this. They avoid people for good reason. If a fox did do something like this I would suspect rabies.

What about being very hungry? A baby is defenseless, and when left unprotected, it's probably as good meat as any chicken.

Fox are opportunists, and will certainly go for the easy pickings.

• Like 2

What about being very hungry? A baby is defenseless, and when left unprotected, it's probably as good meat as any chicken.

Fox are opportunists, and will certainly go for the easy pickings.

it is very rare for foxes to attack babies in the inner cities, they do not need to because there is well enough food for them around to eat. The reason there are so many foxes in the towns now is because they do not go hungry.

I believe leaving the door open was a big mistake, the fox was taking a chance, like they do and the baby probably scared him so he attacked.

as mentioned, these people know there are foxes about, maybe the councils should warn people...first...put your rubbish in the bins provided and second....do not leave the doors open and the your baby unattended when you know the foxes are about......its not rocket science.

A good point is the screens, some people can leave their doors open if they have a protected garden.

They are no longer weekly and have not been for a few years now. they are fortnightly now, but the councils have but a lot more big bins around, although as I have mentioned, some have locks on, mainly the commercial ones. But the estates do have enough bins.

I still can not understand how in "poverty" areas, how they have so much rubbish, although a lot of it is fast foods junk.

recycling is a no no in many inner areas, they can not even be bothered to throw their rubbish in the bins provided, let alone sectioning them out for recycling.

All local authorities round here collect food waste weekly, regardless of the main collection alternating between rubbish or recycling. The last sentence pretty much sums up why urban foxes do so well - rubbish/food left for easy access.

All local authorities round here collect food waste weekly, regardless of the main collection alternating between rubbish or recycling. The last sentence pretty much sums up why urban foxes do so well - rubbish/food left for easy access.

Where are you? In South London it is every 2 weeks. Thought it was the same for the whole of London.

Well they left their back door open from what I've read. Pretty stupid thing to do when a baby is unattended.

Yea because parents never make any mistakes !!

They are shoving this story all over the place and trying to call for a cull.... We all know the true agenda.

I am not concerned with someone's agenda. . I care only for what happened to the baby. I have a baby at home, I would hate to make a mistake like that and he suffered as a result

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Yea because parents never make any mistakes !!

I never said they don't, i do expect them to be decent enough to admit it was their mistake though and not blame a wild animal for following instinct.

I am not concerned with someone's agenda. . I care only for what happened to the baby. I have a baby at home, I would hate to make a mistake like that and he suffered as a result

Yes but you wouldn't blame the fox, you would blame yourself.

It's a hard one; do you absolutely never leave a baby unattended, no matter what?

In a room in your house, sure. (thats why we have baby monitors) With a pet/animal.. never. No matter how much you trust your pet. Shouldn't leave windows open, only on the latch, certianly not in the winter in the UK when it's below freezing. lol

Edited by Coffey

It's a hard one; do you absolutely never leave a baby unattended, no matter what?

as mentioned, these people know there are foxes about, although you would think that by now people know about or have heard about foxes and how they can behave.

Maybe the councils will have to do some of those expensive flyers they do to warn people who can not think for themselves....first...put your rubbish in the bins provided and second....do not leave the doors open and the your baby unattended when you know the foxes are about.

The general Vietnamese attitude seems to be to never leave a baby unattended. Of course here there are always sisters and aunts and grandmothers and older siblings and even neighbors all over the place, so I suspect the rule is easer to follow. The problem, once it's off the breast, is that they all want to feed it, and so babies get way too fat. Now that food is abundant here, I worry about future generations.

I never said they don't, i do expect them to be decent enough to admit it was their mistake though and not blame a wild animal for following instinct.

Right and you assume if a mother makes a mistake, then all of a sudden she wouldn't admit it, because the media didn't report it all in full...

Taken from a news article...

The mother and baby were not at their house in Bromley, Kent, left, on Sunday - after a fox entered through their back door, right, that had been left open because it was broken and was awaiting repair

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2KhNL0lIx

Yes but you wouldn't blame the fox, you would blame yourself.

My only and main concern is for.....

article-0-177AAA56000005DC-948_634x553_zps004fcb59.jpg

article-0-177D90CA000005DC-199_634x446_zps2cb64905.jpg

Your main concern is whether or not Britain will allow fox hunting again? The mother was up the stairs and the baby was down stairs... I have left my child down stairs many times, as I had to sort things out around the home.. It happens

Edited by Beckys_Mom

There has been a few conflicting news reports on this issue... Some of the media reported the fox was in the infants bedroom and dragged the baby out of his cot..Another said, the baby was on the sofa and the mother was up stairs at the time... I am thinking how can a fox get into a babys cot to drag the infant out? The sofa story sounded more logical, as it is easier for a fox to drag the baby from, than it would be from a big cot

My guess is, as the RSPCA noted ( in many of the articles ) foxes will not attack unless it is in fear.. So on that note, I am thinking, perhaps the fox after entering the home through the back door ( which was broken ) enters the room as to where the baby is laying on the sofa... The baby lets out a cry ( like most infants do ) that could have startled the fox, and so the fox attacks the infant...The mother hears a thud from upstairs, followed by the screams of the baby ( well he was having his finger torn off at the time, no wonder he was screaming ) she rushes down stairs and see's the fox with the babys hand in its mouth.. Baby is soon rushed to hospital and receives medical attention ..I could be wrong, but I did say I was guessing

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

There has been a few conflicting news reports on this issue... Some of the media reported the fox was in the infants bedroom and dragged the baby out of his cot..Another said, the baby was on the sofa and the mother was up stairs at the time... I am thinking how can a fox get into a babys cot to drag the infant out? The sofa story sounded more logical, as it is easier for a fox to drag the baby from, than it would be from a big cot

My guess is, as the RSPCA noted ( in many of the articles ) foxes will not attack unless it is in fear.. So on that note, I am thinking, perhaps the fox after entering the home through the back door ( which was broken ) enters the room as to where the baby is laying on the sofa... The baby lets out a cry ( like most infants do ) that could have startled the fox, and so the fox attacks the infant...The mother hears a thud from upstairs, followed by the screams of the baby ( well he was having his finger torn off at the time, no wonder he was screaming ) she rushes down stairs and see's the fox with the babys hand in its mouth.. Baby is soon rushed to hospital and receives medical attention ..I could be wrong, but I did say I was guessing

yes i mentioned the bit about the fox being scared by something.

As for the broken back door, sorry, not having that excuse, it may well have been broken but not were it was not able to close. No one leaves their doors open in the inner cities for too long.

i do agree that mothers do leave their children for a bit, I have done it, but not when they know the back door is open and that foxes are around.

Some of the nieghbours were on the news saying they had complained about the foxes.

Confused with this:

The mother and baby were not at their house in Bromley, Kent, left, on Sunday - after a fox entered through their back door, right, that had been left open because it was broken and was awaiting repair

?

As for the broken back door, sorry, not having that excuse, it may well have been broken but not were it was not able to close.

My mothers back door was broken a few years ago, it would not close over ( something happened to the lock and hinges ) The door would not close properly at all... Hinges and locks had to be replaced, .. Same with my kitchen window, the locks were broken and the darn window wouldn't close right...We had to get new locks put on, but in the meantime we had to stuff scrunched news papers around the edges to stop the draft getting in .. So yea I believe her story.. I am not that eager to blame the mother, and even if she was to blame, I understand mistakes do happen... I feel sorry for the mother, I am sure she is blaming herself over and over... Just because we don't hear all the facts, doesn't mean we must jump the gun and shoot off any assumption we think of ...

Confused with this:

The link to where I copied that from is posted under it..

My mothers back door was broken a few years ago, it would not close over ( something happened to the lock and hinges ) The door would not close properly at all... Hinges and locks had to be replaced, .. Same with my kitchen window, the locks were broken and the darn window wouldn't close right...We had to get new locks put on, but in the meantime we had to stuff scrunched news papers around the edges to stop the draft getting in .. So yea I believe her story.. I am not that eager to blame the mother, and even if she was to blame, I understand mistakes do happen... I feel sorry for the mother, I am sure she is blaming herself over and over... Just because we don't hear all the facts, doesn't mean we must jump the gun and shoot off any assumption we think of ...

The link to where I copied that from is posted under it..

'We get foxes in our garden all the time. My son recently saw a fox walking along the fence like a cat."

"Things like how they dispose of their rubbish is really important, and bagging things up and not feeding the foxes."

Have also taken the above 2 from the link. As i keep saying, they know about the problem about the foxes so they have to start protecting their children more, and the rubbish is a problem in many inner city areas.

I know Bromley, the area is not crime free, so my point is you do not leave a broken back door, broken for too long in those areas.

I feel for the mother and although it sounds as if I am blaming her, that is not my intentions, but better precautions could have been made considering the area knew of the dangers of foxes. (above post from link proves this) if people threw their rubbish away properly the foxes would soon move on and not breed even more there.

Where I lived (not too far from Bromley) we had foxes too and 1st, would never leave the back door unlocked if we were not sitting in the garden ourselves, because of thieves and secondly, we were always aware that foxes were a threat.

Saying all that, i so hope the child makes a full recovery and is young enough not to get emotionally scarred. poor little boy.

Edited by freetoroam

My main concern is fox hunting yes. The baby is OK. I'm glad he is OK. I'm worried thousands of foxes will be torn apart by dogs while a bunch of idiotic morons watch to increase their self worth.

That's the hate campaign that the emdias are starting.

Theya re jumping on this for that exact reason. I doubt if this was a dog youw ould ahve even heard about it.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

My main concern is fox hunting yes

I know that, I saw that if anything else, ...My own ;love for animals will never over take my love for my own kids

I know that, I saw that if anything else, ...My own ;love for animals will never over take my love for my own kids

I would never be that way either. As i said the baby is fine, it's not nice for him and I hope he recovers mentally as well.

That's not the issue now that the baby is OK, the issue is how far will the hate machine go. The media is making it their goal to make sure the readers hate the fox. Cleary demonstrated by how they completely destroy the animal experts opinion on how fox's are not dangerous by putitng load sof examples to counter his arguement after his comment.

Also why would they even mention boris?

This is a campaign and it's too obvious, the media don't care about the child, the child is a just being used. If you care for the child then you would realsie that by how much it bangs on about fox's and even mentions culls.

We should cull Pedophiles, dogs and computer games too.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 2

I feel for the mother and although it sounds as if I am blaming her

There are people out there that have more love for animals than they would for a baby...and sadly some of them have children..

I feel for the mother and although it sounds as if I am blaming her, that is not my intentions, but better precautions could have been made considering the area knew of the dangers of foxes

I don't want this to sound mean BUT It is too easy for us to sit at home reading saying couldda wouldda shouldda.. Think about it it is that easy, because it didn't happen to us... I agree she would have been more careful, but she made a mistake and it was costly enough ... We all do it ( making mistakes ) some of our mistakes waken us up, some scare the crap out of us

Look at Jamie Bulgers mother.. What's the bet she was forever watching little Jamie, and it took that one moment when she turned away, that's when he was taken and killed... So the mother in the article, could have been one to constantly watch over her few week old infant, but didn't do something about her back-door to keep it closed...

Fact is, none of us were there, we don't know the full story....