Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts Of Historical Figures

No Censorship

I never saw a traditional ghost, but I heard a cool story from a friend. He and his friend were in his living room when they saw a man walk past the window. He was dressed like Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett. They saw the same person at the same time. They rushed outside to find him, but he vanished. There were no close homes or stores that he could have entered. They described his clothing to each other after they saw him, and their accounts matched. Did they see a historical imprint that once passed through the environment?

• Like 1

Many people discuss haunted places ,where war battles took place.

You hear about civil war locations ,and old American forts.

The forts in NY are all said to be haunted ,and I've experienced it myself at Fort Totten .

Fort Totten has been the home of the academy for the Emergency Medical System of nyc ,for decades.

They have a military outpost ,but its also now home for the ESU division of the NYPD I believe .

But EMS is housed where the actual fort was. I think part of the building is the same.

The old Canon's are still on the grounds .

I got one of the old timers who worked there to tell me stories from times he slept over .

I think the long island paranormal team did a few days over there,and they got a bunch of stuff,including being touched .

A few of us have been touched .

The woman's bathroom and the basement are seriously creepy.

I should ask my expartner if he's experienced anything . He's worked over there a while now.

• Like 2

and how about we all just leave this ;)

Why should we just leave this? I find the subject interesting. I've never seen anything paranormal myself but I have an open mind and I'm interested in what other people have experienced.

Having said that, I do think the ambience and general feel of a site can add to reports of paranormal activity. My own experience.

A few years ago I was at Hampton Court doing the independent walk around Henry VIII's state apartments while listening to the recorded tour on the earpiece/tv remote whatever you call it that was provided.

Anyway, I'd moved upstairs to the grand gallery which is an L-shaped hall and the commentary was at the part where Katherine Howard finds out she's being arrested and goes screaming down the hall to beg Henry's forgiveness and how people had reported seeing this apparition.

I walked around the bend in the hall listening to this and I looked up and 2 women were walking towards me, talking to each other. Both were dressed as though they'd walked out of a Holbein painting.

I was just about to get very, very nervous when the rational side of my brain kicked in and I realised they were tour guides, who are dressed at Hampton Court in period costumes. But just for a second there, with what I was hearing in my ear and what my eyes were seeing, I thought I was experiencing something I couldn't explain.

• Like 3

Stand by for Ealdwita snippet............

Catherine Howard, and one her lovers - her cousin Thomas Culpepper, shared an ancestry with the late Princess Diana. (Thomas Culpepper of Brenchley and Bayhall).

• Like 2

Many people discuss haunted places ,where war battles took place.

You hear about civil war locations ,and old American forts.

The forts in NY are all said to be haunted ,and I've experienced it myself at Fort Totten .

Fort Totten has been the home of the academy for the Emergency Medical System of nyc ,for decades.

They have a military outpost ,but its also now home for the ESU division of the NYPD I believe .

But EMS is housed where the actual fort was. I think part of the building is the same.

The old Canon's are still on the grounds .

I got one of the old timers who worked there to tell me stories from times he slept over .

I think the long island paranormal team did a few days over there,and they got a bunch of stuff,including being touched .

A few of us have been touched .

The woman's bathroom and the basement are seriously creepy.

I should ask my expartner if he's experienced anything . He's worked over there a while now.

Gettysburg comes to mind. It's possible that such a collection of emotions, at one place and time, leave some kind of residue in the area. People sometimes access it when they visit such highly charged locales where people died under tragic circumstances. It's like their personal energies were imprinted where they passed on to the next life.

• Like 1

Why should we just leave this? I find the subject interesting. I've never seen anything paranormal myself but I have an open mind and I'm interested in what other people have experienced.

Having said that, I do think the ambience and general feel of a site can add to reports of paranormal activity. My own experience.

A few years ago I was at Hampton Court doing the independent walk around Henry VIII's state apartments while listening to the recorded tour on the earpiece/tv remote whatever you call it that was provided.

Anyway, I'd moved upstairs to the grand gallery which is an L-shaped hall and the commentary was at the part where Katherine Howard finds out she's being arrested and goes screaming down the hall to beg Henry's forgiveness and how people had reported seeing this apparition.

I walked around the bend in the hall listening to this and I looked up and 2 women were walking towards me, talking to each other. Both were dressed as though they'd walked out of a Holbein painting.

I was just about to get very, very nervous when the rational side of my brain kicked in and I realised they were tour guides, who are dressed at Hampton Court in period costumes. But just for a second there, with what I was hearing in my ear and what my eyes were seeing, I thought I was experiencing something I couldn't explain.

I envy your experience. For that one moment, you felt that you saw two ghosts, and it seemed very real when you did. That must have been a rush! Your account also brought to mind tales of time slips and time travel (Versailles, etc.).

Stand by for Ealdwita snippet............

Catherine Howard, and one her lovers - her cousin Thomas Culpepper, shared an ancestry with the late Princess Diana. (Thomas Culpepper of Brenchley and Bayhall).

It's like how a lot of our presidents are descended from kings mixed with wild tales regarding Diana. The conspiracy theorists (the Bloodlines variety) would have a field day with that one.

I envy your experience. For that one moment, you felt that you saw two ghosts, and it seemed very real when you did. That must have been a rush! Your account also brought to mind tales of time slips and time travel (Versailles, etc.).

The time travel stories are very interesting. I think I know the one you're referring to with Versailles. 2 women were walking near where Marie A had her pretend milking shed or whatever and then they said they were among women and men dressed in 18th century period costume.

There's nothing to envy in my story, believe me. Except for the fact that I was at Hampton Court! But just for that split second, I honestly didn't know if what I was seeing was real. I have read the stories about Katherine Howard being seen in the long gallery so, you know, maybe my mind was receptive to experience something that I thought was not 'real. I'm not using that as an explanation for paranormal activity. I can just say in my experience, at that moment in time, what I was listening to and how those 2 women were dressed just for a moment had me considering my options. :geek:

• Like 1

The only historical ghost I've seen is Elvis, and that doesn't count, since there seems to be a small industry in ghostly circles of impersonating him.

I might take this chance to ask a question about Western ideas. There is a theology of ghosts in Vietnam. These are the spirits of people who died before their predestined time to die (some treacherous violence) and tend as a result to be a bit mean spirited. Most people die more normally and are reborn a few months later (they enter the womb of a baby already partially developed).

Now I know in Western thinking people go to Heaven or Hell, so who are these ghosts?

Hello Frank,

this is the first time I've talked with you.

Believe it or not even here in the west there are beliefs similar to those you've expressed about early or violent deaths. Folk stories of the Appalachian hills are rich in vengance (retribution) seeking ghosts or souls that have become stuck after their deaths. As far as the belief goes (which this isn't expressed in a religious context just folklore) if it's the ghost of an innocent once their death has been solved or exposed then the soul moves on(goes to rest), if it is someone who did an injury (crime so bad the soul got stuck) they were usually stuck until the end of time.

In Greenbiar West Virginia there is a mile marker which tells briefly of the ghost of Zona Hester Shue, who helped solve her own murder. It's an interesting story.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/30608/elva-zona-heaster-ghost-who-helped-solve-her-own-murder

Regards,

Mabon.

• Like 1

Thanks for that; fascinating story, although of course the mother might have made up or dreamed the ghost part to get a better investigation.

I am reminded of a Chinese movie where two guys are having a sword fight and one of them says to the other, "I'm going to have to kill you. Please don't haunt me."

I've always wondered about the Mom too. I don't know if the woman 'made it up' or if she figured it out through her dreams. She may have been suspicious of her daughters husband all along and tried not to think about them or convinced herself she was wrong about him, then when her daughter died (was murdered) she subconsciously put it all together and told herself the answer through dreams.

Regards,

Mabon.

• Like 1

The time travel stories are very interesting. I think I know the one you're referring to with Versailles. 2 women were walking near where Marie A had her pretend milking shed or whatever and then they said they were among women and men dressed in 18th century period costume.

There's nothing to envy in my story, believe me. Except for the fact that I was at Hampton Court! But just for that split second, I honestly didn't know if what I was seeing was real. I have read the stories about Katherine Howard being seen in the long gallery so, you know, maybe my mind was receptive to experience something that I thought was not 'real. I'm not using that as an explanation for paranormal activity. I can just say in my experience, at that moment in time, what I was listening to and how those 2 women were dressed just for a moment had me considering my options. :geek:

That's the one. It likely is the most famous story about time slips. I would love to be able to visit that time and place just to see what the people looked like back then. The clothing would be interesting, but I would be more interested in their appearances. I read somewhere that the men, who charged the Bastille during the French Revolution, were the size of "girls of twelve" (real comment). The author said that they were about 5'0 and 100 pounds. That's hard to believe. It sounds like one of those midget-forebear stories, and, if it's true, the women must have been around a dwarfish 4'6 in height.

People back then were a lot smaller than they are now. 5"3 would have been tall for a man and yeah, 4" something would probably have the norm for most women.

People back then were a lot smaller than they are now. 5"3 would have been tall for a man and yeah, 4" something would probably have the norm for most women.

That's a common misconception. Heights fluctuated over the years. Both men and women were taller before the advent of agriculture. They were a bit taller than modern people. Men were around 5'10, and women were around 5'6. Both genders shrunk about four inches when cities entered the historical scene. Even after that, heights fluctuated. For instance, European men in the Dark Ages were surprisingly tall while poor people during the Industrial Revolution were surprisingly short, especially in the UK. The height gap between rich and poor was the greatest in the historical record in the UK during the Dickens era. For instance, upper class children dwarfed lower class children in much the same way that Dutch children dwarf Guatemalan children. The height difference was that dramatic. It demonstrated that diet (protein intake) was key.

• Like 1

I did a quick Google search for the phrase "how many humans have died". The first result estimated that since modern humans have existed 106,000,000,000 have kicked the bucket. If.0.001of them hung around we would have 106,000,000 ghosts floating about. Even if there were fewer than one in a thousand there should be ample evidence IMO. Just a thought.

It's like how a lot of our presidents are descended from kings mixed with wild tales regarding Diana. The conspiracy theorists (the Bloodlines variety) would have a field day with that one.

I've heard that every President is related in some way, however distantly. This, to me, is irrefutable proof of the Illuminati.

• Like 1

I might take this chance to ask a question about Western ideas. There is a theology of ghosts in Vietnam. These are the spirits of people who died before their predestined time to die (some treacherous violence) and tend as a result to be a bit mean spirited. Most people die more normally and are reborn a few months later (they enter the womb of a baby already partially developed).

Now I know in Western thinking people go to Heaven or Hell, so who are these ghosts?

in old-fashioned traditional Christian thinking, people who'd died unshriven and so hadn't been absolved of their Sins would go into Limbo where they'd have to sort of sweat it out, so that might be a parallel. There's a school of thought that that's what Ghosts are, spirits of people who've died unexpectedly or by Foul means and hadn't been prepared for it.

• Like 1

That's a common misconception. Heights fluctuated over the years. Both men and women were taller before the advent of agriculture. They were a bit taller than modern people. Men were around 5'10, and women were around 5'6. Both genders shrunk about four inches when cities entered the historical scene. Even after that, heights fluctuated. For instance, European men in the Dark Ages were surprisingly tall while poor people during the Industrial Revolution were surprisingly short, especially in the UK. The height gap between rich and poor was the greatest in the historical record in the UK during the Dickens era. For instance, upper class children dwarfed lower class children in much the same way that Dutch children dwarf Guatemalan children. The height difference was that dramatic. It demonstrated that diet (protein intake) was key.

Boy the Japanese have sure gotten tall, and I notice a market increase in height of children compared to their elders in Vietnam. The theory here is that it has to do with calcium, and, since everyone here wants their children to be tall, they constantly stuff them with ice cream (and most of the kids don't object). I point out that sardines would do as well, but that doesn't go over, unless its on a pizza.
  • Like 1

And in Japan I was told that the increased height of Japanese people is due to sitting on a chair, opposed to sitting on the floor/kneeling. They said it would have something to do with the circulation. Sounds weird, I know, but hey, that's what several people told me.