Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My Sunday at an Atheistic Church

markdohle

I can only personally find two possible purposes in this:

• To spread the belief that there is no God in a similar mannor most Churches do
  • Or to simply poke fun at and belittle the believers in God

To me, it takes atheism one more glorious step toward becoming a religion in and of itself, therefore abolishing the entire intent behind the original message of their belief. Not only that, but they become demeaning toward other believers in God, by creating a sort of 'church parody' hosted by a comedian.

It's honestly not very far off from LaVeyan Satanism. Which is certainly classified as a religion.

LaVeyan Satanism is one of several distinct religions identifying itself as Satanic. Followers are atheists who stress dependence on the self rather than reliance on any outside power. It encourages individualism, hedonism, materialism, ego, personal initiative, self-worth and self-determinism.

http://altreligion.a.../a/satanism.htm

Essentially my question is, if these atheists hate the idea of religion so much, then why have they built their own?

Edited by AquilaChrysaetos
  • Like 2

May God help us. :yes:

• Like 1

What a bunch of idiots...

Churches don't 'own' Sunday mornings ffs, if it bothers that idiot so much then...oh I don't know, stay away from a church and do something else with your Sunday morning.

• Like 3

• To spread the belief that there is no God in a similar mannor most Churches do

To me, it takes atheism one more glorious step toward becoming a religion in and of itself, therefore abolishing the entire intent behind the original message of their belief. Not only that, but they become demeaning toward other believers in God, by creating a sort of 'church parody' hosted by a comedian.

It's honestly not very far off from LaVeyan Satanism. Which is certainly classified as a religion.

Essentially my question is, if these atheists hate the idea of religion so much, then why have they built their own?

Religion requires a supreme being or force to worship or operate around but I can see what you mean.

--Well they're going to have to pass the plate to pay for the electric, gas, building, plumbing etc...

--Some leader will end up getting a paycheck...

--They will need to recruit more members to pay the bills...which will involve denigrading the competition and preaching how "right" they are

--They must set up committees to tackle the nuts and bolts and activities...

--Dissention will occur and the church will split...

--There will eventually be rumors of abuse, control, greed...they are still human...

--They will organize rallies and lobbying to stop Christmas/Easter celebrations and traditions due to them being offensive

Hmmm...

It all sounds familiar to me but I can't place it right now...

So, their point is...If you can't beat 'em join 'em?

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 3

I agree AC, it seems close to creating the image of a religion and I don't understand the need. What little I know of atheists I've learned from those here at UM. Some have been respectful of my beliefs, some ridicule at every opportunity and either way is fine though I'm sure I prefer respect to derision. Many have stressed, even argued strongly, that atheism is NOT a religion and I can see their point but THIS display puts a hole in that argument I think.

• Like 1

I agree AC, it seems close to creating the image of a religion and I don't understand the need. What little I know of atheists I've learned from those here at UM. Some have been respectful of my beliefs, some ridicule at every opportunity and either way is fine though I'm sure I prefer respect to derision. Many have stressed, even argued strongly, that atheism is NOT a religion and I can see their point but THIS display puts a hole in that argument I think.

Well, atheism in my opinion has always been kind of the 'platipus' of religion. It both is and it's not. But this has just taken a step toward it being more that of a religion, which is I'm sure not the original intent of most atheists.

• Like 1

Many have stressed, even argued strongly, that atheism is NOT a religion and I can see their point but THIS display puts a hole in that argument I think.

Not all atheists are the same, most atheists will think almost the same thing as you guys do about these guys, there is something not right with them.

• Like 2

Many have stressed, even argued strongly, that atheism is NOT a religion and I can see their point but THIS display puts a hole in that argument I think.

I'm an atheist and this idiotic 'atheist church' doesn't put any dent in my claim that atheism is not a religion.

The fact that some silly misguided atheists have a church doesn't make it a religion in any sort of general sense.

• Like 3

If Christians love God so much why do they ditch Mass on Sunday to watch the Super Bowl?

• Like 1

--Well they're going to have to pass the plate to pay for the electric, gas, building, plumbing etc...

--Some leader will end up getting a paycheck...

--They will need to recruit more members to pay the bills...which will involve denigrading the competition and preaching how "right" they are

--They must set up committees to tackle the nuts and bolts and activities...

--Dissention will occur and the church will split...

--There will eventually be rumors of abuse, control, greed...they are still human...

--They will organize rallies and lobbying to stop Christmas/Easter celebrations and traditions due to them being offensive

Hmmm...

It all sounds familiar to me but I can't place it right now...

So, their point is...If you can't beat 'em join 'em?

Why are you referring to 'They' all the time?

Do you think that one room full of idiots represent the entire mass of non-believers? This thread will now doubt degenerate into an US and THEM war, fanned by a bunch of immature ****s who like to banner everyone not on 'their side' into the same group.

If Christians love God so much why do they ditch Mass on Sunday to watch the Super Bowl?

I don't know 'bout the super bowl, but I ditch mass cuz I ain't Catholic!

tumblr_m0yuzz0MXz1qeiqfao1_400.gif

I am an atheist but unlike some ideas do not opposed religion. I enjoy the traditions. I am not offended by religious symbols. I find activist atheist who want to remove monuments and practices hypocritical. These are the religious atheist that will give a sermon that would put a Pentacostal preacher to shame. Atheism should not equal hatred of other religions. One more thing. Where are the atheist charities?

Really... you are already half way there at a church of any sort is praising something more powerfull with life whilst atheism means born grown die rot, no gypsy magic at all. Hence I'm agnostic, I believe, just not wholeheartedly with everyone's versions of the story.

But that Christian Priest is cheering, he knows as soon as they get used to the sunday routine they will convert, asking someone to spare time for something that cannot see is 80% of the battle of conversion.

I think this is just some fool who is looking for possible kickbacks when his attenders convert. But seriously to be atheist you believe in ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Why would you need or feel the urge to conform to having to go to a meet and greet on a Sunday to pull eachother off about the greatness of your ignorance. I'm not saying I hate atheist it's just at the end of the day most of them really aren't athiest (except most scientce people i know) because they still have a belief or thought about an higher power of any sort, so by having faith in something even tho it's not a god you are holding faith for something/someone, being such would be calling the Pagan Sun Worshippers atheist because they were putting their faith into natural order and not a entity.

I'm sorry but having being tortured by the churches to join and that they are the only "REAL RELIGION" untill I have come to my own faith/structures/beliefs hence the reclassification from a 12 year old point of view (f* everything im an atheist) to actually properly thinking and coming to my conclusion of my personal evolution in faith.

It's hard to say atheism exists in this day and age because as much as people deny any higher power we are surrounded by it even to atheists that claim their names in vein as to so be told by the churches, that in a sence is still acknowledging a being called Jesus Christ who at some point is helping you understand whatever you are cursing at. Same could be said for "god damn".

Most will just brush the whole thing and continue their lives which they are more than intitled to, I just hate self labeled claims from a point of view that has no understanding on the concept. But they are entitled to some of the biggest opinions available. To say such a thing then be a complete hippocrite would be like saying you building a Space-Ship that can achieve only the same flight patterns and stats as a normal standard plane, well you are correct because it is technically a space ship but if it never leaves to enter space does it still keep the same classification?

It took me a while to write this whilst at work but have noticed a lot of excuses since this morning let me get this clear with everyone please read the following, because any sub-catergries are not athiesm at all nor can you redefine the meaning to suit you. Take the whole meaning or none.

a·the·ist

[ey-thee-ist] Show IPA

noun

a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Origin:

1565–75; < Greek áthe ( os ) godless + -ist

-----

Dictionary.com

-----

OH!

That does not allow everyone permission to start calling themselves agnostics unless you have formed a individual opinion based on your own belief process. It's not an out to make you sound cool. **** if you don't believe in religion or you on the fence about it just say so, I don't believe or I don't have a opinion on it. But don't try give yourself a label to fit in with everyone else, if you so urgently need a label take a class from Paris Hilton and go be useless somewhere else.

Edited by chopmo

Why are you referring to 'They' all the time?

Do you think that one room full of idiots represent the entire mass of non-believers? This thread will now doubt degenerate into an US and THEM war, fanned by a bunch of immature ****s who like to banner everyone not on 'their side' into the same group.

"They" because it doesn't include me (to have used "we") at any atheist church.

And any non-believer group operating/gathering as a church, yes, imo, will share similarities with believer-churches. NONE of which I listed, btw, have anything to do with belief or nonbelief.

It is just the characteristics I listed that traditionally occurr in believer-churches and are often criticized or thought owned by the "religious", aren't even about one's belief.

And any atheist churches will now share those same characteristics and more, btw, imo.

Is that what atheist church goers want?

Can atheists somehow rise above the faults when humans gather and must financially support their church.

When they need to keep their church popular, civil, accomplish goals, appoint leaders, attract the kids, appease a wide variety of people, fight for their concerns about the society they live in, and a dozen other things...like appease those who volunteer the most or give the most financially...long list

Edited by QuiteContrary

And any non-believer group operating/gathering as a church, yes, imo, will share similarities with believer-churches. NONE of which I listed, btw, have anything to do with belief or nonbelief.

It is just the characteristics I listed that traditionally occurr in believer-churches and are often criticized or thought owned by the "religious", aren't even about one's belief.

And any atheist churches will now share those same characteristics and more, btw, imo.

Can atheists somehow rise above the faults when humans gather and must financially support their church.

When they need to keep their church popular, civil, accomplish goals, appoint leaders, attract the kids, appease a wide variety of people, fight for their concerns about the society they live in, and a dozen other things...

Jeez, you speak as if this one little church is setting the way for all Atheists and that Atheism is going to actually become and declare itself a religion and establish churches all over the place. I doubt that'll ever happen mind you but it would be interesting if it did.

Jeez, you speak as if this one little church is setting the way for all Atheists and that Atheism is going to actually become and declare itself a religion and establish churches all over the place. I doubt that'll ever happen mind you but it would be interesting if it did.

My post could speak of two (when this new atheist church splits off) or a thousand atheist brick and mortar churches. I had no number in mind.

Atheists identifying as a religion group is not a necessity for anything I posted.

Except it may become necessary for needed tax breaks, etc

When they need to keep their church popular, civil, accomplish goals, appoint leaders, attract the kids, appease a wide variety of people, fight for their concerns about the society they live in, and a dozen other things...

Isn't that something that should be done by your local council and probally is already in a meeting every month?

Even schools have their version called P&C Meetings :o

Bloody relax in a park with a group of people don't call what they are doing church lol simple.

Seriously? You have to question whether a bunch of idiots will argue with another bunch of idiots one day and cause trouble.

Baahahaha I can't believe I gotten to use this twice within a week.

http://youtu.be/-ROTzn4L3M8

3 things you don't talk about in public; POLITICS, RELIGION, RACE/HERITAGE it has always been known as that, well atleast through my growing up we were always told that. Because it is true some of the most dangerous people in the world that have their fingures on the red button don't like to be insulted and made to look inferior.

Look at Scientology for example holy snappin' duck poo, I have seen some big arguments, near mini riots about it and how fast did that spread. L. Ron Hubble was a science fiction ffs, wrote battlestar galactica, he knows how to write ficticiously and made a very profitable living from it. But people still ate it and him up for being for real. Although when he takes your money you know it's going towards the spaceship that you'll get to ride one day :( ... LMAO!

Isn't that something that should be done by your local council and probally is already in a meeting every month?

Even schools have their version called P&C Meetings :o

Bloody relax in a park with a group of people don't call what they are doing church lol simple.

The OP group was in a building and using electricity and sound/visual equipment.

I referred to "brick and mortar" churches. But park gatherings would end up with their own troubles too. It comes with being human not religious.

I questioned whether atheists wanted to take the same risks that the religious gatherers do and look like them too with the establishment of churches.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

L. Ron Hubble was a science fiction ffs, wrote battlestar galactica

Agreed that L. Ron Hubbard was a science fiction author. Not agreed that he wrote Battlestar Galactica. BS:G was created first in 1978 before a reboot of the series in 2003 (one of my favourite tv series of all time, I might add). L. Ron Hubbard was not involved in writing science fiction at that time of his life. Perhaps you are thinking "Battlefield Earth", he did write that book. It shares part of the same word ("battle")...
  • Like 1

In the west if you are an atheist you are also expected to be a hard-nosed, "scientific" materialist (philosophical meaning here). You are not allowed any spiritual or religious sentiment.

But, while atheism may derive from personality traits, it is nothing more than an opinion.

I self-identify as an atheist because I am quite sure there is no God. But I am not a materialist. I think there are aspects of the universe other than physical phenomena. Sentience and mind and ethics and beauty and humor and other things of that sort.

I also love the ritual and history and ethical teaching and philosophy of Buddhism; of course I grew up with it so I would.

I'm an atheist and this idiotic 'atheist church' doesn't put any dent in my claim that atheism is not a religion.

The fact that some silly misguided atheists have a church doesn't make it a religion in any sort of general sense.

I like how "some" athiest can be silly and misguided... reminds me of "some" religious folks

• Like 1

You look at the atheists' faces and you see glimpses of embarrassment and ambivalence.

Smile though your heart is aching

Smile even though it's breaking

Light up your face with gladness

Hide every trace of sadness