Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope Benedict Has Resigned - effective 28 Feb

libstaK

So to rewrite the Official History, he'd have to actually be older than they say, so that he'd be old enough to have been a member of the NSDAP or the SS or whatever people wish to imply? He was only 18 when the war ended, after all.

Should we be standing by to receive Herr Ratzinger's secret wartime memories that someone has discovered? (Just a thought)

How about that for a conspiricy theory?

Well, the Butler made off with his personal notes ...

He is the first in 500 years who has stepped down willingly. At least he is honest about not being up to doing the job anymore. With the world the way it is today, that is one hard job to tackle.

An old man is resigning because of frailty and possible illness. This is a wise move, but I wouldn't make more of it than that. Old people resign for this reason all the time.

Personally I am not surprised,his ministry has been dogged by scandal and his views belong back in the middle ages not the 21st Century.Maybe he was pushed who Knows,but the Catholic Church needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century or die.

• Like 1

He finally decided religion was a bit of silly non-sense and became an atheist.

Edited by Silver Surfer
  • Like 3

Or he figured he was getting old and wanted to kick the celibacy to the back seat.

A list of contenders would be useful. Hello oh great and wise multi national news corps who will be discussing this incessantly for the next month - how about a LIST?

• Like 1

I'm waiting for the onslaught of 'CONSPIRACY' theory to rain down on us. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a -good- conspiracy theory; however, sometimes, things are actually just as they very well are.

• Like 2

Now for the explosion of interest in the next Pontiff. If Malachy is correct and hasn't been misread then the next pope will be named Peter - and he will be the last.

The morality of the Church will collapse under him and will end with the destruction of Rome with the Vatican, apparently!

What do you reckon? A homosexual Pope?

I have gained mad respect, most Pope's stay in power till the day they die. This guy steps down to let a new pope and younger one step up. The pope degrees the whole catholic world...

Edited by Uncle Sam

As the position of Bishop of Rome is deliberately left vacant, then the Archbishop of New Rome should take control of the Western Church and reassert Orthodox values upon the those who have become degenerate in their "modernism" and "progresivness" And If Archbishop of New Rome will not step forward at this historic time, then the Archbishop of the Third Rome should assert control. If he is not too busy buying very expensive wrist watches and cars :)

Or, as his hair is now so thin, his barber noticed 666 tattooed on his scalp.......

• Like 2

A list of contenders would be useful. Hello oh great and wise multi national news corps who will be discussing this incessantly for the next month - how about a LIST?

Ask and ye shall receive...

Francis Arinze - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Cardinal Peter Turkson - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Cardinal Angelo Scola - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Cardinal Tarcisco Bertone - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Jorge Mario Bergoglio - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Leonardo Sandri - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Claudio Hummes - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Dionigi Tettamanzi - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Count Christoph Von Schoenborn - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Archbishop Raymond Burke - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Cardinal Marc Ouellet - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Daniel DiNardo - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Cardinal William Levada - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Archbishop Piero Marini - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Keith O'Brien - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Gianfranco Ravasi - [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Don't know if that is the complete list but...that is what I dug up.

It would appear there is a Peter on the List...Peter Turkson and from other articles I read, it appears he is one of the top choices. Could he be the Petrus Romanus?

I have to say...somewhat tongue in cheek and somewhat stunned....If you recall, it's only been a couple of weeks since the Pope released "the dove of peace" and it was attacked by the seagull. Bad Omen maybe? nah...just being ornery...

• Like 4

The morality of the Church will collapse under him and will end with the destruction of Rome with the Vatican, apparently!

What do you reckon? A homosexual Pope?

To late - that happened some considerable time ago :tu:

Br Cornelius

He's going to run off and join the circus

Well looking at things the move makes sense. John Paul II had a long decline and it could be that the Church doesn't want to go through that again. With modern medical technology people are living longer than they use to. Used to be that the Pope kicked off before old age took a major toll on them. So this gives the option for future Popes to step down if they get too old to do their job properly.

Some of the talk I've heard about the next pope is that they might go for a non-European Pope for the first time. So far the top choices are two Africans and a Canadian. So think we'll be waiting a bit longer for the end of the world. ;)

Edited by Corp

The question everyone should be asking, who will succeed him? I don't think I wanna know.

I was kinda hoping it would be....

40041647_384x288_generated.jpg

• Like 2

To late - that happened some considerable time ago :tu:

Br Cornelius

The coming Pope is supposed to be the last, is supposed to corrupt Christain values and then the 'Terrible Judge' will massacre everyone for being evil. Including the destruction of Rome and the Vatican.

Then Christ returns and we have judgement day. So exciting wheres my popcorn!

• Like 2

I do hope they advertise the job in the paper..

I'm kind of sick of my new job fishing bits of cow from meat-works-drains..

I reckon i'd make a damn good pope..

• Like 3

Although this could be in a thread of its own I'll post it here. According to Saint malachy's prophecy of the Popes, the next pope will be the last and during his reign Rome will be destroyed.

The Prophecy of the Popes, attributed to Saint Malachy, is a list of 112 short phrases in Latin. They purport to describe each of the Roman Catholic popes (along with a few anti-popes), beginning with Pope Celestine II (elected in 1143) and concluding with current pope Benedict XVI's successor, a pope described in the prophecy as "Peter the Roman", whose pontificate will end in the destruction of the city of Rome.

http://en.wikipedia....cy_of_the_Popes

edit to add that Rome may refer to the EU (revived Roman empire)

Edited by OverSword

The coming Pope is supposed to be the last, is supposed to corrupt Christain values and then the 'Terrible Judge' will massacre everyone for being evil. Including the destruction of Rome and the Vatican.

Then Christ returns and we have judgement day. So exciting wheres my popcorn!

I think many of the past Popes have already corrupted "Christian Values" going back in time to the very first Pope. Torture, Paedophilism, Burning of "Heretics", Intolerance to other belief systems, Aiding and Abetting Dictators, - in fact name any of the 7 Deadly Sins and the Pope's down the ages have indulged themselves. They brought about the Dark Ages, imprisoned (or worse) scientists, and their advances, stole money from the poor and infirm, SOLD Redemption... do I really need to say more?? :no:

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 1

I'm finding it hard to believe how many people are accepting his explanation at face value. This is astounding. The position of Pope is basically a political position - he is a politician. How many politicians really have stood down for health reasons when that is the excuse given? It's like the go-to excuse when being forced out.

No, I think it more likely that he has been forced out in some way. Some sort of scandal from his past most likely.