Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Emperor [2013]

Keel M.

Wow, Tommy Lee Jones has aged, he actually looks Japanese in that film.....1,57

Edited by freetoroam

As soon as I saw 'Based on a a true story', visions of Mel Gibson's 'Braveheart and 'The Patriot' floated into memory. (Oh, and U571 while we're at it!)

I wonder how much of the following will be included in the film....

Hirohito escaped punishment because of a secret deal with the Allies. Although the victors claimed Japan surrendered unconditionally, that was a face-saving myth promoted by the victors and perpetuated by embarrassed historians who want to conceal America’s pact with Japanese war criminals.

Surrender was unthinkable to the Japanese people, so the emperor was allowed a face-saving gesture by the Allies. Hirohito ordered his troops to stand down while waving signs that said, “I agree to stop resisting.” Semantics saved the lives of an estimated one million Japanese who would have refused to use the term “surrender” and would have fought to the last man, woman and child.

The Allies granted the emperor a bigger favor: He would not be put on trial. General Douglas MacArthur, the post-war ruler of Japan, spared Hirohito’s life after advisors told him that executing the emperor, (considered a living god by his subjects), would be 'as disastrous as crucifying Christ' and lead to an insurrection by the Japanese people under American occupation.

Instead, MacArthur and his advisors decided to lay the blame on Prime Minister Hideki Tojo, who was sentenced to hang.

Before his execution, Tojo apologized and accepted responsibility for Japan’s war crimes, unlike most of the Nazi war criminals on trial at Nuremberg. He also asked his executioners to show mercy toward his countrymen.

• Like 3

While I agree that almost all 'historical' movies or movies that are 'based on true events' bare only passing resemblance to the actual true events - this movie does look interesting... And "The Patriot" and "Braveheart" were at least interesting movies...

• Like 1

While I agree that almost all 'historical' movies or movies that are 'based on true events' bare only passing resemblance to the actual true events - this movie does look interesting... And "The Patriot" and "Braveheart" were at least interesting movies...

If you're English - they also raise your blood pressure!

• Like 2

It'll be like an alternate universe where the facts will be twisted in America's favour.

There won't be any mention of the twin nuclear attacks on Hiroschima and Nagasaki.

Which dosn't make much sense because I'm certain Japan's recovery was based on " guilt" money.

The Japanese themselves wil be painted as samurai wielding savages on a kamikaze mission.

Tbh that dosn't make much sense either because we are talking about the aftermath.

So if this film follows in the same vein it will be even more inaccurate than Braveheart or The Patriot.

Those one million Japanese could well be the grandfathers and fathers of all their technical whizzes.

Though I'm not so sure about those evil looking sexbots.

If you want my honest opinion I think Tommy Lee Jones could also be a candidate for playing Admiral Nimitz.

If you're English - they also raise your blood pressure!

And if you're Scottish it raises your adrenaline and heart-beat :) lol

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

As soon as I saw 'Based on a a true story', visions of Mel Gibson's 'Braveheart and 'The Patriot' floated into memory. (Oh, and U571 while we're at it!)

I wonder how much of the following will be included in the film....

Hirohito escaped punishment because of a secret deal with the Allies. Although the victors claimed Japan surrendered unconditionally, that was a face-saving myth promoted by the victors and perpetuated by embarrassed historians who want to conceal America’s pact with Japanese war criminals.

Surrender was unthinkable to the Japanese people, so the emperor was allowed a face-saving gesture by the Allies. Hirohito ordered his troops to stand down while waving signs that said, “I agree to stop resisting.” Semantics saved the lives of an estimated one million Japanese who would have refused to use the term “surrender” and would have fought to the last man, woman and child.

The Allies granted the emperor a bigger favor: He would not be put on trial. General Douglas MacArthur, the post-war ruler of Japan, spared Hirohito’s life after advisors told him that executing the emperor, (considered a living god by his subjects), would be 'as disastrous as crucifying Christ' and lead to an insurrection by the Japanese people under American occupation.

Instead, MacArthur and his advisors decided to lay the blame on Prime Minister Hideki Tojo, who was sentenced to hang.

Before his execution, Tojo apologized and accepted responsibility for Japan’s war crimes, unlike most of the Nazi war criminals on trial at Nuremberg. He also asked his executioners to show mercy toward his countrymen.

I suppose the only way to get your answers is to view the film. :P

Film looks alright, but wouldn't mind seeing an upto date hollywood style ffilm from the Japanese point of view... Do they hint on the conspiracy of the events leading to pearl harbour?

Same with an up to date Russian point of view. They did actually do far more during ww2 that the west did.

And if you're Scottish it raises your adrenaline and heart-beat :) lol

I love Braveheart, as a movie.

But so many of my friends from bakc up home (Scotland) thinks it's historically accurate. They act like he is a true scottish hero or soemhting. Makes me laugh really.

I also think it's immature how patroitic some of my friends and family get. I actually roll my eyes everytime I see a facebook post about independence at fighting the English... Blah blah. lol

Edited by Coffey

I suppose the only way to get your answers is to view the film. :P

I tend to get thrown out of cinemas for shouting "Rubbish!" and "Where did you get this c**p from?" so I'd better wait for the CD! All I have to content with then is Mrs.E sighing loudly and saying, "Will you just shut up, you silly old fart - It's just a film!!!"

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 2

Do not know why really but this reminds me of a quote:

"the draft is white people sending black people to fight yellow people to protect the country they stole from the red people"

• Like 2