Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Are Dogs Saying When They Bark?

Still Waters

Perhaps barking is another by-product of domestication. Unlike dogs, wolves rarely bark. Barks make up as little as 3 percent of wolf vocalizations. Meanwhile, the experimental foxes in Russia [that have been bred to be docile] bark when they see people, while the control foxes do not. Frequent barking when aroused is probably another consequence of selecting against aggression.

However, more recent research indicates that there might be more to barking than we first thought.

http://www.scientifi...-when-they-bark

• Like 1

My dog use to say, someone is here, hey I'm down here, pay attention to me, I want that hamburger, give me that toy. I understood every bark, she had me trained well.

• Like 6

My dog use to say, someone is here, hey I'm down here, pay attention to me, I want that hamburger, give me that toy. I understood every bark, she had me trained well.

Dogs generally "speak human" better than we "speak dog". However, your dog managed to teach you quite a bit of "dog". I speak "dog" quite well...but I will admit that it has taken me some time to become fluent.

• Like 2

dogs cut through the bull and are better at letting their intentions known than us, who can communicate better?

• Like 2

i had a dog who showed me how he vocally asked for water. he would make a sound like when a person yawns. very high note held for a second, then quickly descending. i can believe in doggy speak.

• Like 1

Dogs generally "speak human" better than we "speak dog". However, your dog managed to teach you quite a bit of "dog". I speak "dog" quite well...but I will admit that it has taken me some time to become fluent.

I have to agree with that..

After 11 years I have become very fluent in "dog", more so now my dog is poorly, he has new vocals that are quite different to the rest, expecially in the early hours of the morning, when he wakes me up to help him up stairs.

I am also become pretty fluent at "guinea pig" & "Degu".

• Like 2

When you're on the internet no one knows you're a dog! I have St. Bernards and they have barks (hey!), huffs (I don't want to!) and grrrr's (I want to!).

• Like 2

I used to understand dog very well, now I have become fluent in cat as well.

• Like 2

Cat is pretty easy...feed me, pet me, change the litter, I want out and DON'T TOUCH ME GET THE HELL AWAY !!!! PEON...

Dog's are bit more complicated .......I LOVE DOGS !

Edited by mfrmboy
  • Like 2

This is not new information, every dog mom & dad knows this.

They are like our children and we understand their language...

With that said, bark bark barkety bark!

• Like 3

My dog was smart if you said to him whats sand paper like he would reply ruf ruf. :yes:

Dogs tend to have different accents too, such as dogs like mine, i.e.: foxhound tend to bay rather than bark as illustrated in the video. You can actually make a whole dialogue just watching this video...

• Like 2

There is a terrific documentary on this subject called "Dogs: Decoded". It was interesting to watch even though I don't have any dog companions in my life at this time. It made me really want one though :)

My dog say's "I love you"

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 5

The huskey got my chihuahua going. Chihuahua howls are really funny. I pretty much know what my dogs barks mean. They range from somebody is walking by, someone in the yard, I want to come in and get off the computer and pay attention to me. They are all different.

• Like 3

I can tell what every one of my german shephard's barks mean,my bullmastiff she hardly ever makes a peep though.

• Like 3

I found it! This is what they are saying...

• Like 1

After having dogs my whole life I understand dog speak very well. I know Cooper saying arff in the car, ute or truck means I want kibble or a treat or what ever you have lol

• Like 1

Dogs are Humans in Animal Bodies. I swear my Dog has people she absolutely loves to see, and people she could really care less for. Just like Humans do. They are very smart animals.

• Like 5