Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Are Dogs Saying When They Bark?

Still Waters

Well, I can't like everyone's thread so far, so here you go... :) Channeling my inner dog: 'I want steak.'

The best word's I told my dogs were, "GOOD DOG! Do whatever you want!" Both were Lab crosses, Shepherd and Chesapeake. Buck and Chance lived a generation apart, but they read me like a book. They were playmonsters that I couldn't tie up, and never left my yard.

It was 18 years of fantastic dogs.

Now I'm thinking of getting one fantastic cat that will live that long. We''ll see. :)

• Like 3

Dogs are Humans in Animal Bodies. I swear my Dog has people she absolutely loves to see, and people she could really care less for. Just like Humans do. They are very smart animals.

Though someone may shoot me down, dogs are often better judges of human character, than human charcters are.

• Like 5

Well, I can't like everyone's thread so far, so here you go... :) Channeling my inner dog: 'I want steak.'

The best word's I told my dogs were, "GOOD DOG! Do whatever you want!" Both were Lab crosses, Shepherd and Chesapeake. Buck and Chance lived a generation apart, but they read me like a book. They were playmonsters that I couldn't tie up, and never left my yard.

It was 18 years of fantastic dogs.

Now I'm thinking of getting one fantastic cat that will live that long. We''ll see. :)

Just remember cat's are not dog's,i have owned both in my life and would never trade my dogs for 1 trillion cat's.Both are smart in their own ways,but if i need my dogs to watch out for me they will.When i feel like s*** my dogs know it and always make me feel better,man's best friend they are!

• Like 4

Just remember cat's are not dog's,i have owned both in my life and would never trade my dogs for 1 trillion cat's.Both are smart in their own ways,but if i need my dogs to watch out for me they will.When i feel like s*** my dogs know it and always make me feel better,man's best friend they are!

I have a cat and a dog. They both alert to let me know when I am in danger of falling. I can be going a long fine and I just fall. The cat knows before it happens and taps my leg and runs for the bedroom, letting me know I need to rest. The cat is actually better at it than the dog, but she doesn't like to go for walkies. When I was really sick and acting crazy the cat stuck right by my side, the dog hid under the bed. When the cat starts getting real clingy like I start checking my vitals.

The difference between dogs and cats, to me, is the dog is a servant and a cat is friend.

• Like 1

I was given a room to rent in someones house once based on the fact the dog welcomed me in but apparently had barked at all the other applicants. I love dogs and its my belief they read emotions to perfection,that's why we have great relationships with them,as well as being intelligent

• Like 3

My dog barks because she loves hearing her name. Everytime she barks I'm like "Turbo shh" she is a princess

• Like 1

Dogs are not human but they evolved alongside us. They can 'read' our expressions and are very emotional creatures and forgiving as well. I don't think they are particularly bright though.

Though someone may shoot me down, dogs are often better judges of human character, than human charcters are.

Like i'll give you to examples of people she absoluetly loves and could really care less for. She absolutely loves my Neighbor and my Aunt for some reason. While she could really care less for my Aunt's husband, and my Grandpa. Don't know why though. My Grandpa had to live with us for like 3 months because of a personnal issue but after a while my Dog got use to him and now cant get enough of him whenever he comes down to visit. Just like humans if you dont like some one at first and are forced to either spend a lot of time or live together you might end up likeing that person.

• Like 2

I have both dogs and cats. Dogs are allowed inside cats are not.

The dogs let me know when they need to go out.

The cats potty in a box and then get on counters, furniture, kitchen table and worst of all the bed and pillows plus they claw up the furniture and drapes. Cats are great outside and do a good job patrolling for mice, moles and so forth.

The dogs help protect me and my property.......If someone is planning on breaking in the dogs will make sure they don't and if they are stupid enough to then the dogs will make them pay.

I love the cat's but

DOGS RULE !!!!!!

Dogs are not human but they evolved alongside us. They can 'read' our expressions and are very emotional creatures and forgiving as well. I don't think they are particularly bright though.

I had one dog years back that was far brighter than most humans,sometimes i even wondered if he was smarter than me :w00t:

• Like 3

Dog's have their own little whines, growls, whoofs and if you are around them you can't help picking up on it, just as they pick up stuff from people. They act much like kids that never grow up and some are very intelligent.

It wouldn't surprize me some day, since so many are raised like people anymore, one will finally speak like a parrot although not as well. My family had a very very smart miniture poodle who must of thought he was part human. He would get upset and growl if anyone mentioned he was a dog he'd run to his human "mom" who'd say he's not a dog he's a poodle LOL

He was a real life Lassie with acting like a mime to communicate and he would shake his head yes and no if yes asked a question. He even had his own little fan club going with people coming to see him do his things and now I understand why. Smartest dog I ever saw but it was really sad to see him try to talk. The best he could ever master was answering what do you like with "humm- burg - grrr" you could see the disappointment in him when he'd make all kinds of other sounds but couldn't talk and start his mime routine.

I didn't appreciate how special that dog was until I saw how stupid all my dogs were in comparison to him.

All dogs are intelligent in their own ways even the two dumb ones I have now LOL

• Like 1

that's cool!!!i always wondered what they are saying when a dog barks and growls and etc.we should make a device that converts dog language into human language that way we are able to talk to them and understand what they are saying in return.in other words its like talking to people:)now that would be a really cool device and make it affordable to buy and own and not expensive to the point where few people can afford and the rich only have them.plus it could be used for positive purposes and has positive benefits.also i knew already that each dog bark is diffrent but knowing what it means well thats another thing of course :)i want to talk to my dogs lol

Edited by King Cobra 1408
  • Like 2

The difference between dogs and cats...

(I may have gotten this from this site if so appologies - and thanks- to the OP)...

WHAT PETS WRITE IN THEIR DIARIES .......

Excerpts from a Dog's Diary......

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00 pm - Lunch! My favorite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00 pm - Milk Bones! My favorite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary...

Day 983 of my captivity...

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets.

Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am. B*****ds.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now................

• Like 9

Dogs become your best friends,cats are like having stewie griffin around the house all the time lol

I miss my dog(was a basenji although they don't actually bark) we would literally have full blown conversations. Like about food, what to play and do, even about what to watch. Oh god how she would out smart my ex. Little escape artist.

Animals really are some of the best judges of character, I would of avoided a ton of trouble if I noticed it earlier on in life and acted accordingly.

I havn't really got a clue what Ty and Kayla are trying to communicate when they bark...

But Ty does have a habit of talking according to my sister..

He tries this on when he wants to go walkies or it's supper time.

But when they actually bark it's not just to warn off intruders..

Kayla does it when her ball goes underneath the sofa or a chair.

She does it again when she's greeting Ty back from his walk.

And on the approach to Tandle Hill she does an excited one.

While Ty does a jealous one when Kayla's getting intimate with my sis.

I honestly feel there's a subtle difference in every type of bark.

Ty's bark is actually much deeper than Kayla's.

This could be an indicator of which gender they are.

before my friend to the left passed away he was able to say one english word That word was hello. it wasn't a perfect hello most of the time but he had the two syllables correct and usually sounded like scooby doo, a couple times however it was so perfect that we actually looked around to make sure that no one else was in the room. but on the rare occation he demanded to be understood, he was understood. Sometimes i wondered if he was psionic ( psychic ) as most of the time he would just look at someone and they knew what he wanted. He rarely spoke except when someone came home or came to visit. I still miss him.

• Like 1

before my friend to the left passed away he was able to say one english word That word was hello. it wasn't a perfect hello most of the time but he had the two syllables correct and usually sounded like scooby doo, a couple times however it was so perfect that we actually looked around to make sure that no one else was in the room. but on the rare occation he demanded to be understood, he was understood. Sometimes i wondered if he was psionic ( psychic ) as most of the time he would just look at someone and they knew what he wanted. He rarely spoke except when someone came home or came to visit. I still miss him.

That’s a lovely post. My dog is by far my best friend and about 5 years ago he went out into the back garden in the morning to pee and when he returned, he had a slight limp on his rear left leg, I didn’t think much about it until about an hour when I asked if he wanted to go out for a walk and he couldn’t move his leg at all. He lost all movement in his leg and couldn’t wag his tail.

It was 2 weeks before Christmas and we thought we were going to have to put him down, after a few trips to the vets, he quickly established that Buster had somehow severed some tendons, nerves etc and medication (steroid based) would help, re heal/re-join the damage and he would regain the use of his leg again.

We could only hazard a guess on how he damaged his leg, I think the most logic explanation was he slipped on the icy steps either going down or coming up from our raised patio to the putting green.

Buster sleeps on the floor in his bed next to me in our bedroom and so we decided I would sleep on the couch until he was back to full health, the last thing we wanted was for him to damage his leg even more or even worse damage the good one, while trying to get up the stairs to go to bed, following me. Three months I slept on the couch, through Xmas and New year until he was back to his old self. He always actually had a slight limp on that leg and now all these years on, his back legs are completely not working. A combination of his age and the nerve damage, he can’t use them.

I bought him a doggy wheelchair last November but he doesn’t use that so much now, he is in no pain and moves around the house pulling his back legs behind him, he still plays and has a good appetite and until I see him in pain or depressed, he will remain part of the family.

th_IMG_0351_zpse6d98cdc.jpg

I work from home, so we spend every minute together, he doesn’t really need to talk to me, I know what he wants when he is looking at me. He goes crazy when I am on my way home in the car, my family know I am 2/3 minutes away when he gets all excited. We stopped going abroad as a family so Buster could holiday with us and we never had to place him in kennels. We even purchased another larger car to cater for him.

Mysticwerwolf, I feel for your loss and dread the time I am in the same situation, I know that time is soon and even thinking about it makes me tearful.

we never figured out what caused the seizures but magee passed in the middle of a siezure on the vets table on the 5th of november last year. in was the sixth seizure in six hours.... the last thing he said when my sister and i walked into the room at the vet hospital ER was "hello" and the vets says "he just said hello ?!", then magee went into that final siezure that he didn't live through. we tried to teach him the word and somehow he realized that this was a greeting and tried for several years to get his lips around that word. most of the time it was, as mentioned earlier, like scooby do talking, but occationally it was as clear as anything i could say.

give buster every chance you can, as long as/if he seems happy and pain free.....

• Like 1

mysticwerewolf, i am sorry for your loss.

once, i said to my friends dog who was staring at me, "what do you want? what are you trying to say? i dont understand. say it in english". i repeated some of these words to him over and over as if to make him feel that he could do it and to give him confidence. the dog in front of his owners began trying to speak to me. he sounded desperate with excitement but it was such a struggle for him that it was both funny and sad and amazing all at the same time. of course it was total doggy sound gibberish but he tried sooo hard.

• Like 1

I am firmly convinced that while not quite as intelligent as humans Dogs and cats are intelligent. and who knows maybe in their own way they are as intelligent they may not be able to speakor do math or quantumn physics but they learn that specific words mean specific things they can find hidden drugs and explosives and they can detect sickness without complicated medical tests(i hear storys occationally where the dog somehow dialed emergency for a real emergency) and they guard and protect others, they guide the blind and or the deaf ( the video i saw a few weeks ago of one dog pulling another injured dog out of traffic was moving) and the list goes on. and they get just as frustrated in not being understood by us as we sometimes do when they don't seem to understand us.

I will miss Mr MaGee for a long time