Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Euthanasia-For or Against

ali smack

32 members have voted

1. 1. euthanasia-for or against

• Yes I am for it
    • No I am against it

I've already made my feelings known about this on an other post.

I'm well for euthanisia as you well know.

Because it's sort of in a religious part I'll just say one thing.

I can imagine the right- wing preachers in the Deep South being against it.

I don't need to confer anywhere because it's the absolute truth.

They like anything that extends life despite how untenable it is.

What would one of these preachers do if there significant others were begging to die?

Would he or she condemn them to hell?

If they had a shred of decency they shouldn't abide by the Bible all the time.

Knowing them they would think they were condemning themselves for risking it.

Edited by Medium Brown

I don't agree with turning off life support because there's always a slim chance they may recover.

I just have one name to give you. Terri Schaivo.

In our society we as people should be focusing all our attention on prolonging life, on finding cures to diseases, on helping regrow body tissue and on eradicating disease. Which in all fairness a lot of scientists do. We shouldn't be encouraging people to take there lives.

Seems to me that you are scared of death. We already prolong life as it stands given that 70 is now seen as old and not an impossible age to achieve. The core question is who owns their life and who has the right to make a decision on when to end it?. The person? The State? The Church/temple/synagogue/mosque aka God? We may all have an inalienable "right" to life but do we also have a concommitant "right" to death?

Some argue that suicide is a sin and assisting a suicide is both sinful and an act of murder. I disagree with both arguments. Sin is a value judgement that is based on a limited moral code (Christian/monotheistic) which is oftimes contradictory. Sometimes suicide is lauded (in battle for example to save lives or achieve a goal) and the suicidee is posthumously lauded (VC, CMH). Other times a severely injured soldier is killed to alleviate suffering and this may or may not be considered murder (depends on your country)

Everyone has the right to control their own body and if they are incapable of that due to disease or other physical ailment (stroke) then they should have the right to decide that they no longer wish to live. Who are we as outsiders to determine what another person should think? What values they should hold?

Edited by Goblin-5
  • Like 1

I voted for it. Just a little over a year ago my younger brother, who was only 41 years old, ended his battle with colon cancer. I think that towards the first year he would have ended it for himself but his wife and son wanted him to try and battle it to the end. That last year I watched him suffer a great deal, even with the powerful pain medication. And then he was gone. By that time he wanted very much for it to end. I don't think that I, or anyone else not in his position - in other words I don't think that anyone but him had that choice to make.

Due to the Church's position on the subject many people think that it is an unforgivable sin. It isn't. The Bible has cases of suicide. Then there is Enoch. Enoch was so unhappy because in his day he was surrounded by wicked, sinful people. He asked Jehovah God to end his life and He did. Many people say that Enoch went to heaven, but that isn't true. Jesus later said no man had gone to heaven except for himself. (Genesis 5:24 / John 3:13 / Hebrews 11:5, 13)

In due respect I am yet to find many valid arguments for Euthanasia. None of the problems i've pointed out against Euthanasia, that even some pro-euthanasia supporters accept as problems have been debunked.

Another problem is a lot of people that have been killed in mercy killings are capable of doing it themselves which beggars the question, why get someone to do it for you? It could go horribly wrong and has done on a number of times.

The only time I can understand the case for ( And I still don't agree but can understand) Is Tony Nickelson. Because that poor chap couldn't move and of course could not kill himself.

So I can understand in a case like him.

Fortunately it isn't for you to understand unless some day your fortune changes. I don't think it is up for debate. Its a personal choice.

• Like 3

So a 40-year old mother with kids aged 3, 7, and 12, has the Right to commit suicide because of severe clinical depression but is otherwise completely healthy? And bugger what her husband, kids, family, and friends think or say?

Someone with severe clinical depression is in no way 'Completely healthy', ever. Imagine wanting to cease to exist and finding no good with the world and feeling like crap no matter what you do. Does being physically healthy automatically negate these feelings? No, it doesn't. I hope you never have to experience the full extent of such an affliction because death seems like a good way out to those concerned.

What are your opinions of Euthanasia. Are you for or against it?

Personally I am against it for a number of reasons:

I think if you "assist" in someone's death, you are killing them, which makes you a killer.

It's a start of a slippery slope, where once you make it legal in UK. It may very well be expected whether people are very getting old and very ill, and suffering from illnesses, they would be expected to be "euthanised".

people could quite easily pressure ill and mentally unstable/mentally retarded people to get euthanasia.

the argument people make about animals been put down isn't valid. Animals are not people and can't kill themselves.

it could give doctors more power where they could pressure people into euthanasia.

If you asked an accountant to evaluate the cost of letting someone live with the revenues they will bring the state I bet a few million people would get put down.

although it's against my religious beliefs but yeah .. am with it " on rare cases "

where the person is like 100% Dying on very short run and no way on earth through logic that person would survive

and suffering in a very horriable way

yeah am with it that way

but am against it in cases of dire disases on long run .. coz cure might be found in long run

so no votting for me :D

Edited by Knight Of Shadows

although it's against my religious beliefs but yeah .. am with it " on rare cases "

where the person is like 100% Dying on very short run and no way on earth through logic that person would survive

and suffering in a very horriable way

yeah am with it that way

but am against it in cases of dire disases on long run .. coz cure might be found in long run

so no votting for me :D

most cases it is to with diseases though.

If you asked an accountant to evaluate the cost of letting someone live with the revenues they will bring the state I bet a few million people would get put down.

This is the biggest problem I see with making it legal although I do feel it should be a person's choice because each case is different. I see something like this especially happening pertaining with Alzheimer's.

They only have their old memories and relive them in the present seemingly, who says they are not happy in that state until it finally attacks the body functions enough to kill them? It's a very undignified death in most cases but I would still want it to be the choice of the afflicted.

I sometimes wonder what the reaction would have happened if President Reagan were euthanized.

Research funding probably would be cut too, since it's no big cost to the state with a quick legal resolution of euthanasia.

It seems to me it should be a personal choice regardless of the reasons.

Who but oneself can truly know their own quality of life or lack of.

Forcing someone to live against their own will seems selfish to me.

In a way its the ultimate freedom, the right "to be or not to be"

most cases it is to with diseases though.

don't you think is with time and knowledge advancement .. any disase can be cured

and isn't a shame for people to waste chance of cure and living healthy life ?

i don't think she shouldn't do it because it is the will of God no.. i don't think they should wait and suffer because it's their fate

i think they should wait because in future there might be a chance for cure with new knowledge

or might not be .. but chance for life is worth the risk and struggle i think

I know people who are really mess up, Locked in their bodies unable to move, see, or speak. Life can become a living hell really quick. I really don't want to live like that.

No one should have the right to prolong the suffering of another based on flimsy slippery slope arguments.

If you doubt this then walk through a skilled nursing facility in a low income area. Be ready to look hell in the face.

don't you think is with time and knowledge advancement .. any disase can be cured

and isn't a shame for people to waste chance of cure and living healthy life ?

i don't think she shouldn't do it because it is the will of God no.. i don't think they should wait and suffer because it's their fate

i think they should wait because in future there might be a chance for cure with new knowledge

or might not be .. but chance for life is worth the risk and struggle i think

I disagree. If someone is given 6 months to live and they end up in hospice, they are not going to be hanging around long enough for a cure to be found. They have been looking for a cure for cancer how long? AIDS? Have you ever watched someone waste away from cancer or AIDS? It is pretty awful. There is no way I would subject someone I love to suffering until the very last breath they took because there 'might' be a cure in the future. Who is to say that they would live long enough to see the cure?

Its personal choice and for any goverment to take that way from you says the government dictates your choice to live or die. I think some nations call suicide a crime. This train of thought is religious based and hence should be be ignored. Suicide means going to hell. What a joke as far as morality goes. If I want to punch my ticket f the goverenment controled by the need of a religious slant.

The right to ends ones life begins and ends with there choice, no one elses.

Edited by The Silver Thong

The right to ends ones life begins and ends with there choice, no one elses.

I mentioned this to someone else in this thread, never got a response, but I'll ask you the same question I asked of them. A 40-year old mother with kids aged 3, 7, and 12, has the Right to commit suicide because of severe clinical depression but is otherwise completely healthy? And bugger what her husband, kids, family, and friends think or say?

Surely in this situation the kids have to have some input into that Right to end her life. Suicide can and does affect other people. Simply saying that the Right to end one's life begins and ends solely by their choice alone is an extremely narrow viewpoint, in my opinion.

~ Regards, PA

I mentioned this to someone else in this thread, never got a response, but I'll ask you the same question I asked of them. A 40-year old mother with kids aged 3, 7, and 12, has the Right to commit suicide because of severe clinical depression but is otherwise completely healthy? And bugger what her husband, kids, family, and friends think or say?

Surely in this situation the kids have to have some input into that Right to end her life. Suicide can and does affect other people. Simply saying that the Right to end one's life begins and ends solely by their choice alone is an extremely narrow viewpoint, in my opinion.

~ Regards, PA

In that situation who is truly being really selfish? The person who wants to end their own suffering or the people who want to prolong it?

Are we all just slave that live only for the sake of other people?

Wouldn't they try to get her help first?

If it didn't work would they really want a mother around who could snap and take them out at a moments notice?

Shouldn't the family care what the mother actually wants instead of what they want?

Might be strange but you know instead of just ok we'll kill you find the reason why. If the reason is curable, don't fin do it. If the reason isn't curable then you get the option. Not the government, not a doctor, you. That would be the equivalent of a person who cannot legitimately give consent. I don't think even power of attorney should be allowed for this if it ever was legal.(That could get nasty if money/inheritance was involved and would be closer to buying a hitman then ending a life out of mercy). Attempt to cure give a time limit of 1 or 2 years if conditions don't change then green light it and also to prep the families who will be affected by their death. Illness that falls under the 1 or 2 years should have the ok to go on with it. People should have a choice on how they die.

It would never be a simple hey I want to die, then 5 minutes later.... mission accomplished. Might actually get more depressed people an option to get help if they knew that they had that option from the doctors in the first place. Which would also get them a higher chance to actually get help for their problems.

As much as medical science has advanced in the last hundred years, to some degree it's worked against a "good death. Health care is so much better now I get that, but we also haven't reached a level where we can definitively cure everything, which leaves a lot of people in medical limbo. They are stable, on machines but are brain dead or comatose. I can't say for certain they are suffering but are they living in a real sense? Religious ideas aside if someone has the option of opting for suicide either with the help of a doctor or on their own for medical reasons it really is their decision.

There is a big difference I think between someone who is depressed or even disabled and someone who is terminal and has no chance of recovery ending their life. There was a well known case of a paraplegic in England who traveled to Switzerland to commit suicide by euthaniasia. I don't think THAT particular death was acceptable and as a person in a wheelchair I think it had more to do with the depression of that man losing his ability to walk than being "terminal". However for someone who has reached the end of a progressive disease I take no issue with . I watched a Frontline documentary called the Suicide Tourist about a man with end stage ALS who traveled with his wife to commit suicide with medical help in Switzerland. In his case he discussed it at length with his wife and family, he fully understood his decision and I don't believe was in a depressed state. He seemed relieved and resolved to his course of action and it was appropriate for him in his circumstance. Ethical standards apply to medical issues and I don't think assisted suicide should be any different, a case by case determination is best.

I disagree. If someone is given 6 months to live and they end up in hospice, they are not going to be hanging around long enough for a cure to be found. They have been looking for a cure for cancer how long? AIDS? Have you ever watched someone waste away from cancer or AIDS? It is pretty awful. There is no way I would subject someone I love to suffering until the very last breath they took because there 'might' be a cure in the future. Who is to say that they would live long enough to see the cure?

and how many people were giving 6 months to live and lived longer .. hundreds ? thousands ? millions ?

i believe in hanging on to dear life to the last grasp and breath

just because they didn't find cure for cancer and aids doesn't mean there is no cure at all

wasn't there also disases without cure and caused many deaths and now are completely cureable ?

In that situation who is truly being really selfish? The person who wants to end their own suffering or the people who want to prolong it?

Are we all just slave that live only for the sake of other people?

Wouldn't they try to get her help first?

If it didn't work would they really want a mother around who could snap and take them out at a moments notice?

Shouldn't the family care what the mother actually wants instead of what they want?

Might be strange but you know instead of just ok we'll kill you find the reason why. If the reason is curable, don't fin do it. If the reason isn't curable then you get the option. Not the government, not a doctor, you. That would be the equivalent of a person who cannot legitimately give consent. I don't think even power of attorney should be allowed for this if it ever was legal.(That could get nasty if money/inheritance was involved and would be closer to buying a hitman then ending a life out of mercy). Attempt to cure give a time limit of 1 or 2 years if conditions don't change then green light it and also to prep the families who will be affected by their death. Illness that falls under the 1 or 2 years should have the ok to go on with it. People should have a choice on how they die.

It would never be a simple hey I want to die, then 5 minutes later.... mission accomplished. Might actually get more depressed people an option to get help if they knew that they had that option from the doctors in the first place. Which would also get them a higher chance to actually get help for their problems.

You're adding in stipulations here - "if the reason is curable". That's different to the comment that I was actually addressing. I was addressing the comment that everyone has the Right to end their own life.

You addressed that in the rest of your post, and all I can say to your reply is that you make it sound so simple. You make it sound as if a suicidal person can easily be spotted as suicidal and thus the proverbial mother in this example can be easily spotted as being suicidal.

I know from personal experience that you cannot so easily spot those willing to end their life. The people who choose to end their life and ignore their family, they are in a dark place. They are not "weak" as some would like to say. They are in a deep hole and they can't see a way out, they can't see beyond their own need and cannot fathom the damage they are causing to those who are care about them. The question of the children's "selfishness" is not at stake. They may not even know their mother is suicidal.

~ Regards, PA

Suicide from depression is not really part of this issue. They are two completely different things. No we shouldn't help a Person who just wants out, but the misery around certain kinds of deaths does not need to happen. If a suicidal person really wants to die and they are serious about it no one can stop them. If Somone does know about it it means they want Somone to try and stop them. We should oblige, depression is a sickness.

Think about it. Let's say you know for certain Somone you love is going to burn to death slowly. You have a gun and a bullet, this person is begging you to not let them die that way but can't pull the trigger themselves. What eoukd you do. I know what I would barring any consequences that could send me to prison and take me away from my family.

Steven kings "the myst" comes to mind

Edited by Seeker79