Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Interesting Events and Local Stories

Wolfman 1993

Alright, some of this will be concerning local legends, but I decided to post here because most of it is concerning spirits in the area that I'd like to investigate.

Recently I've moved back onto an Indian Reservation. I decided to start searching around the area I live in with an emf detector and start studying local legends. So far I've managed to pick up the most activity from the forests along the border of the town I live in. There are 3 things very interesting legends that sprouted from this area. 2 of them tie into the woods, but the other plays into the area in general, rather than the specific area. I bring the woods up 1st because that's what I've already began looking into.

There is a local ghost story about Lottie's Grave, a grave belonging to a woman who died in the late 1800s in various possible ways. The most notorious is 1 that states she was a witch. Some people believe that she died because the settlers in the village (the village I live in now) were too afraid of her and wouldnt allow her into the village for anything she needed, and she eventually starved to death. There's also rumors that she committed suicide, and also 1 that the villagers didn't want her around because they were afraid of what they assumed she would bring, and beheaded her. The graveyard her grave is in is buried within the woods and is famed to be 1 of the most haunted locations in the area. I've been to the graveyard, but I'm wondering whether or not her spirit has more of a tie to the woods than it does the actual graveyard, considering that I actually get more activity from the woods through an evp listener and an emf detector.

A friend also told me about a local legend that some people around here believe, and this is that the devil lives in the fields. His torso is never seen, and victims usually only see the tail. After a victim sees the tail, they usually die soon after as a result. He also told me that he has lost family members to these sightings. with his permission, I was able to share 1 of the circumstances. 1 situation I learned about that I found very interesting was his cousins sighting. In this case, his cousin was driving with alternative family members as passengers in the car. While driving down a country road, he lost control of the car and they went off the road. The relation to the devil? His cousin had a sighting a week before the incident...

The last local legend I'd like to share is 1 I learned from my dad. This legend goes back to the settler days. It concerns a girl that was left behind when the settlers were traveling through the area. The end of the story here alters as well. 1 belief is that she couldn't defend herself from the animals in the area, or couldn't find food and was either killed by the wildlife, or starved. Another belief is that the Indians took her in and raised her (the 1 I prefer to believe for obvious reasons). How this relates to modern day, is that late at night, at times, you can still hear her call out into the night, looking for her lost family.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolfman 1993

• rashore

• Esoteric Toad

• Doctor Kyrie

These all sound similar to nearly every ghost story about anywhere.

The devil tail thing is similar to hearing an owl or a bird crashing into a windows (from within your home). Both of those claim someone will kick the bucket. Of course people do die, sometimes unexpectedly, so those that believe these things will connect the events. What we do not hear is the people who hear/see these things and do not die.

As far as the last story goes.... Go out and listen... Take more than one recorder. My vote would be wildlife making noises. JMO.

These all sound similar to nearly every ghost story about anywhere.

The devil tail thing is similar to hearing an owl or a bird crashing into a windows (from within your home). Both of those claim someone will kick the bucket. Of course people do die, sometimes unexpectedly, so those that believe these things will connect the events. What we do not hear is the people who hear/see these things and do not die.

As far as the last story goes.... Go out and listen... Take more than one recorder. My vote would be wildlife making noises. JMO.

Hey buddy, I didn't write them, I just study them.

but I do plan to take plenty of stuff with me to see what I can find.I know that as far as local legends go, you can usually relate them to natural things in nature. sometimes they slip past tho. I'm counting on Lottie's Grave the most as far as picking anything up goes.

Edited by Wolfman 1993

Well, if it's THE Lotties grave... It's untrue. But there are a lot of witches graves out there, and I don't know where you live so it might not be THE Lotties grave. Regardless, always always be legal and safe, pay mind to trespassing and curfew laws, especially with cemeteries.

I always think devil stories are interesting, that one would be cool to know more about. And I'm guessing you might not have much luck with the ghost pioneer girl story. Even if a girl did get lost, you might not find much info about it.

Happy hunting :)

Well, if it's THE Lotties grave... It's untrue. But there are a lot of witches graves out there, and I don't know where you live so it might not be THE Lotties grave. Regardless, always always be legal and safe, pay mind to trespassing and curfew laws, especially with cemeteries.

I always think devil stories are interesting, that one would be cool to know more about. And I'm guessing you might not have much luck with the ghost pioneer girl story. Even if a girl did get lost, you might not find much info about it.

Happy hunting :)

thank you lol. and if THE Lottie's grave is the grave of Lottie Edwards, than yes, it's THE Lottie's grave lol. I kinda grew up with the legend

thank you lol. and if THE Lottie's grave is the grave of Lottie Edwards, than yes, it's THE Lottie's grave lol. I kinda grew up with the legend

Well, I wasn't sure, sometimes witches graves have a local kind of name, and for all I know some of those could be Lottie too, lol. So you already know the legend is a fake then.. Why are you still going out and pursuing the area? Trying for a debunk?

I still think the devil story is the most interesting of the three :)

Well, I wasn't sure, sometimes witches graves have a local kind of name, and for all I know some of those could be Lottie too, lol. So you already know the legend is a fake then.. Why are you still going out and pursuing the area? Trying for a debunk?

I still think the devil story is the most interesting of the three :)

I didnt think it was proven untrue...theres a bunch of legends behind it, I kinda figured it was going back so far that without historical documentation, you'd be able to disprove some of them, but not all. her grave DOES exist tho. if she exists, she had some past life thats worth learning about. thats kinda why I'm looking into it. and the devil does sound very interesting to look into. definately 1 of the higher 1s on the list I plan to check out lol

I didnt think it was proven untrue...theres a bunch of legends behind it, I kinda figured it was going back so far that without historical documentation, you'd be able to disprove some of them, but not all. her grave DOES exist tho. if she exists, she had some past life thats worth learning about. thats kinda why I'm looking into it. and the devil does sound very interesting to look into. definately 1 of the higher 1s on the list I plan to check out lol

Well, Lotties grave is a witch from the 1800's who probably met an ill fate as the stories go right? But Lottie Edwards was born in 1876 and died in 1955 of heart conditions and old age.

Well, Lotties grave is a witch from the 1800's who probably met an ill fate as the stories go right? But Lottie Edwards was born in 1876 and died in 1955 of heart conditions and old age.

the only part of that that actually shows is the time she died. you'd have to have access to her medical records to know she died of heart conditions, unless you're of relation

Edited by Wolfman 1993

what I said was probably untrue, but it wont let me edit my post..oh well. how did you find all of that out?

Edited by Wolfman 1993

Just digging around on the internet. I like to research haunts, it's interesting what does or does not turn up. I rather like to think I've gotten good at digging up things, lol.

In the case of Lotties grave, there's enough info out there to make a good guess. Grave records, articles, spook boards and commentaries, that sort of stuff. That gave me enough clues to call it untrue without trying to find newspaper, library, or police records. Which is generally a big pain in the butt to do with smaller towns when you are doing it online. Since you are in the area, it would probably be way easier for you.

I did notice a couple things digging around. The story you tell in your OP more closely resembles an unnamed witches grave a couple hours away from you than it does Lotties grave stories. And among commentary of Lotties grave were a couple mentions that Lotties grave is not the real grave in that area. The real grave in that area is purported to be in nearby woods. But there is only a couple mentions and really only in relation to Lotties grave, so I don't know if the "real" grave is a spin off, or possibly a precursor. Again, since you are local, that might be something you could dig up a bit more easily.

Been thinking about the devil in the field thing too.... What are the Native legends in the area? Do they have any entities that over the years could have mutated into this legend? Are there any high concentrations of immigrants that came into the area? Some immigrant groups have legends about "see him and die" or harbingers of death sort of critters that could mutate into this legend.