Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Native Americans speak on sports imagery

Commander CMG

As the debate over the use of Native American imagery by sports teams continues to heat up, the discussion is particularly intense in our nation's capital, where there's a growing movement to change the local NFL team's name from a racial slur to something more palatable. Several Washington Post columnists have called for the name change; the Washington Redskins blog Hog Heaven also supports the name change; the weekly Washington City Paper has already begun calling the team by a different name; and just last week, Washington mayor Vincent Gray pointedly avoided using the team's name in his State of the District address.

Full Story Here

Edited by Saru
Trimmed for length

Yeah, the name Redskins is pretty offensive and does not honor the indigenous people of North America.

I think in Seattle (a city named after a local tribal chief) we do a better job of recognizing the contribution of natives to our overall shared (debatable) culture. Our teams logo is based on pacific northwest native art styles

269dbec3e92bea9a45ceff95df91b0b6.png

Any excuse to look at the logo of my beloved Seahawks.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

raiders

Web definitions

(raider) plunderer: someone who takes spoils or plunder (as in war).

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I'm offended at Oakland's name. The Dolphins also offends me. There are a lot more creatures in the ocean than just them. Just because they're the smartest, doesn't mean the rest should be left out.

• Like 1

Honestly I don't care, it is a mascot. No need to split hairs or fry nerves. I am native American and it doesn't bother me. It is mostly the liberals trying to pull hair and stir up troubles, thinking they speak for my people.

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 1

Yeah, the name Redskins is pretty offensive and does not honor the indigenous people of North America.

I think in Seattle (a city named after a local tribal chief) we do a better job of recognizing the contribution of natives to our overall shared (debatable) culture. Our teams logo is based on pacific northwest native art styles

269dbec3e92bea9a45ceff95df91b0b6.png

Any excuse to look at the logo of my beloved Seahawks.

Redskins, to me, is offensive. Braves, Indians, Seminoles, Illini, etc. are not. We name things after people to honor them.

Of course no one ever says anything about the Cleveland "Browns". Should it be the Cleveland "People of Color" or something? :innocent:

• Like 2

raiders

Web definitions

(raider) plunderer: someone who takes spoils or plunder (as in war).

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I'm offended at Oakland's name. The Dolphins also offends me. There are a lot more creatures in the ocean than just them. Just because they're the smartest, doesn't mean the rest should be left out.

Say what?! Show some love for the black and silver!

xl511c11c1.jpgtm511c11cf.jpg

Redskins, to me, is offensive. Braves, Indians, Seminoles, Illini, etc. are not. We name things after people to honor them.

Of course no one ever says anything about the Cleveland "Browns". Should it be the Cleveland "People of Color" or something? :innocent:

No because the browns were named after the first owner of the team after being sued when because thier original name, Panthers had a copywrite owned by someone else. Edited by OverSword

Being a Raider fan, I've gotten far too used to this feeling at the end of every Sunday:

sb37-buc-raider.jpg

It's true. You do suck! :su (just kidding bro)

The last time I was at a Raider game it Seachickens vs. you guys on Monday night, and there were three guys in gorilla masks, spikes and Raider gear in front of me that didn't make one sound the entire game.

2nd edit to add....HAPPY TO DERAIL THIS RACISM THREAD TO PEE OFF SOME RAIDERS!!!! LOLOL!!!!!

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

Say what?! Show some love for the black and silver!

xl511c11c1.jpgtm511c11cf.jpg

I really have to say.. The pic on the right, the guy on the left... I REALLY hope he wore that costume multiple times. I'm pretty sure Halloween is during football season, so yeah... Hope he wore it more than just for that game. Hope he got some good drinks in for it :)

I really have to say.. The pic on the right, the guy on the left... I REALLY hope he wore that costume multiple times. I'm pretty sure Halloween is during football season, so yeah... Hope he wore it more than just for that game. Hope he got some good drinks in for it :)

Those people usually have season tickets and wear that to every game. Those Raider fans are animals. Almost got beat up by some once. Good times, good times!

Redskins does seem to be more of a slur than most other Native American themed mascots. I don't see how that name honors anyone.

• Like 1

I never actually got the name 'Redskins' until it was explained to me. I had assumed it was the name of a chief or something (at this time I was a child and the Oilers were still the Houston team).

Whether you accept it or not, "redskin" is a racial slur and should be held in the samre regard as other racial slurs. Personally, I could care less if there was a team mascot called the "crackers", or the "honkeys" because I find racial slurs pretty amusing, but slurs describing other races shouldn't be used as mascots...at the very least. Funny thing is, DC changed the NBA team to the Wizards from the Bullets out of sensitivity to street violence.

Edited by ChewiesArmy

Whether you accept it or not, "redskin" is a racial slur and should be held in the samre regard as other racial slurs. Personally, I could care less if there was a team mascot called the "crackers", or the "honkeys" because I find racial slurs pretty amusing, but slurs describing other races shouldn't be used as mascots...at the very least. Funny thing is, DC changed the NBA team to the Wizards from the Bullets out of sensitivity to street violence.

There actually was a Negro League baseball team from Atlanta called the Black Crackers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Black_Crackers But I'm pretty sure they were refering to the 'crack' that's made when the bat hits the ball.

No because the browns were named after the first owner of the team after being sued when because thier original name, Panthers had a copywrite owned by someone else.

I was joking about the Browns, of course. So Dan Snyder legally changed his name to Dan Redskins then the Washington "Redskins" would be alright? :innocent:

Those people usually have season tickets and wear that to every game. Those Raider fans are animals. Almost got beat up by some once. Good times, good times!

Raider fans are the scum of the earth. I attended one game of theirs against the Cardinals in Arizona and never will again.