Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
jjphere

Strange Sounds cause Alarm

4 posts in this topic

This happened many years ago, I was a child, but I remember it very well.

We were in the family farmhouse, at night, in the 1960's and there were no closeby neighbors

except for one house of relatives. Four of us were in the living room, and it opened to

a hall which had a door to the outside, and a door to a bedroom and a pair of French doors

connected to the rest of the house. All the doors were shut except for the door from the living

room to the hall. All doors to the outside were locked shut.

All of a sudden there were two sounds, that seemed to be of metal hitting on metal. The sounds

came from the hall and it was loud and easily heard. My mother heard it while walking and she

was alarmed and ran from the sound. My Dad and Grandmother got up and went into the hall

to investigate. I stayed on the couch. We all heard it and we all knew that nothing tiny made

those sounds. We weren't sure but thought that the sound came from someone trying to open

the door knobs on the french doors. There was nothing there, so a thorough search of the rest of the

house was made, with a gun handy, but there was not anything out of place or any reason for the

sound found. We looked out the front door and the dog was asleep on the door mat and we knew

nothing had come that way. We never found any cause, but an aunt later told us that she

believed the french doors had been involved in spooky happenings in the past.

Who knows? Something made a noise that made me remember it some half a century later!

Edited by jjphere
1 person likes this

Hi there, the metal on metal sounds reminded me of the UK Black Dog which is known to create a sound like dragging chains, aka the Cadejo is the South American version.

In popular etymology, the name cadejo is thought to have derived from the Spanish word "cadena", meaning "chain"; the cadejo is at times represented as dragging a chain behind him. There is a fairly large member of the weasel family, the tayra, which in common speech is called a cadejo and is cited as a possible source of the legend.

This happened many years ago, I was a child, but I remember it very well.

We were in the family farmhouse, at night, in the 1960's and there were no closeby neighbors

except for one house of relatives. Four of us were in the living room, and it opened to

a hall which had a door to the outside, and a door to a bedroom and a pair of French doors

connected to the rest of the house. All the doors were shut except for the door from the living

room to the hall. All doors to the outside were locked shut.

All of a sudden there were two sounds, that seemed to be of metal hitting on metal. The sounds

came from the hall and it was loud and easily heard. My mother heard it while walking and she

was alarmed and ran from the sound. My Dad and Grandmother got up and went into the hall

to investigate. I stayed on the couch. We all heard it and we all knew that nothing tiny made

those sounds. We weren't sure but thought that the sound came from someone trying to open

the door knobs on the french doors. There was nothing there, so a thorough search of the rest of the

house was made, with a gun handy, but there was not anything out of place or any reason for the

sound found. We looked out the front door and the dog was asleep on the door mat and we knew

nothing had come that way. We never found any cause, but an aunt later told us that she

believed the french doors had been involved in spooky happenings in the past.

Who knows? Something made a noise that made me remember it some half a century later!

Could be nothing and sounds nothing, maybe you were expecting something to happen

Thanks to both of you for replying. I am pretty sure it was not a cadejo, because our dog would have flipped out.

The New Richard Nixon is probably right.