Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meteor Explodes over Russia. dozens injured..

Professor T

as far as coincidences go its a pretty good one that we should have this meteor and the near earth asteroid on the same day. question's for me is, if i have this right, the Russian meteor is made from Ice/Dirt. where the Near Earth Asteroid 2012DA14 is rock/metals. dont these two bodies originate from different parts of the solar system? < if i have it right could it still be possible the two have interacted at some point on the journey from the outer solar system to the inner solar system? stranger things have happened. it'll be interesting to find out.

• Like 1

That must be a scary experience. Fire in the sky and glass exploding everywhere. Hope no-one was seriously injured or killed.

Okay as instressing as this is just a guess but id say that chunk of ice that smacked russia was apart of the bigger rock fixing to take a near swing at us just broke off some wheres other side in the darkness we cant see in so it eather just broke off or or some thing bigger did the rock hit or strike maybe that shifted the what ever was bigger a little off corse from b**** slaping us back in to the iceage? maybe maybe? maybe? yeah to many maybes but 1 thangs for shure this is a wake up call for the goverments thats been denieing and lieing to us all about outerspace **** becomeing innner earth up close and personal ..................eather way itd best be a good idea to tell a loved one how you feel even if you do it every day any how then at sum point if you feel the need yeah bend on over and kiss your butt good bye cause we eather live or we die

packing me a brown bagger and gona go sit under a tall pine tree and watch the fireworks and smoke a creeper

Okay as instressing as this is just a guess but id say that chunk of ice that smacked russia was apart of the bigger rock fixing to take a near swing at us just broke off some wheres other side in the darkness we cant see in so it eather just broke off or or some thing bigger did the rock hit or strike maybe that shifted the what ever was bigger a little off corse from b**** slaping us back in to the iceage? maybe maybe? maybe? yeah to many maybes but 1 thangs for shure this is a wake up call for the goverments thats been denieing and lieing to us all about outerspace **** becomeing innner earth up close and personal ..................eather way itd best be a good idea to tell a loved one how you feel even if you do it every day any how then at sum point if you feel the need yeah bend on over and kiss your butt good bye cause we eather live or we die

packing me a brown bagger and gona go sit under a tall pine tree and watch the fireworks and smoke a creeper

I got some of that but most of it did not make sense. Anyway the link posted by Dot shows how many meteors hit Earth every day

If you are talking about 2012 DA14 would you care to show us your observational data and calculations which led you to this conclusion? This object is being tracked by astronomers (both amateur and professional) all around the world and they don't seem to have a problem with the calculated orbital path of this object, so I'd be interested to find out what it is you know that they don't.

Personally I choose to do my thinking with my brain.

It almost certainly is coincidental that these two events occured on the same day. As there seems to be a fair amount of footage of this object then it should be possible to determine which direction it entered the Earth's atmosphere from and so it will be possible to know for sure whether there is any connection between this event and asteroid 2012 DA14.

Did they foresee this one coming over Russia today?

• Like 2

I got this one. They tried to intercept it ballisticly perhaps.

Always a possibility.

But they should have done it a lot further out in space if they saw it coming.....if they have the equipment. would be interesting to know if they do have an Armageddon style explosive out there ready.

Quite scary stuff.

But these meteorites do not need added blow up power to do any destruction, if not caught in time they have the power to wipe out dinosaurs, let alone shatter a few windows.....but thats obvious and not rocket science.

Wonder if the world was suddenly under threat from a massive meteor, what would happen in countries like Egypt, would they stop fighting each other and start realizing that their bombs are not as powerfull as natures own?

• Like 1

I think I need to get me a dashboard cam...

Interesting stuff.. Am sure there's going to be a lot more info comming out about this event..

It seems rather ironic that we're about 10 hours from the closest asteroid flyby in living memory, then this goes and happens..

Anyhow, I'm off to watch Deep imact on TV... :lol:

Watch the skies folks.. :)

Imagine it went the other way round:

First you watch that movie in the evening or night, then next morning you go to your work, and you see this thing heading your way.

Well, if you are constipated, this would be a sure cure, lol.

• Like 5

Latest reports are saying six cities were hit with bits of the meteor and the injury count is now being reported as "at least 500" - mostly those hit by flying glass due to windows exploding from the sonic booms and shock waves.

3 people are serious to "in a grave condition" - I do hope everybody pulls through ok, it would have been an awesome spectacle albeit terrifying at the same time.

I saw a meteor about 14 years ago now (I think). My heart stuck in my throat and I had to remember to breathe, it seemed a heck of a lot closer than it actually was and the roar from the fireball as it was burning up in the atmosphere was frighteningly loud. For a few seconds I thought it would strike intact and close by, but that thankfully was not the case and as it turns out it was much farther and higher in the sky than my eyeball view was telling my mind it was at the time.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 5

Maybe it was a rocket that exploded because the smoke trail seems to be the result of a burning twin engined craft...or maybe a satellite knocked out of its orbit into our atmosphere..

Edited by taniwha

Maybe it was a rocket that exploded because the smoke trail seems to be the result of a burning twin engined craft...or maybe a satellite knocked out of its orbit into our atmosphere..

It was seen around 200 miles and maybe more. It's not smoke its a contrail like you see in planes high in the sky. Plus a plane of that type does not make boom sounds after

That was Biederman over Russia....Wolfe swings by later today...(Deep impact reference!)

J/k

Pretty interesting.

The reports I read said the one over Russia weighed an estimated 10 tons. They are estimating 2012-DA14 at 150,000 tons. DA-14 is 150 feet across (or so) so the one over Russia must have been very small in physical size but more than likely had a lot of metal for such a small object to survive that far into the atmosphere. Won't know for sure until someone fines some fragments and analyzes the content.

DA14 will be something like 17,200 miles away at it's closest approach...too far and moving too fast for gravity to grab it.

Dutch newspaper:

http://www.nrc.nl/ni...en-tsjerbakoel/

"Meteor weighed about ten tons" - first fragments found

Six meters wide crater.

Meteor flew with a speed of 54,000 km/hr, and fell apart some 30 to 50 km above the ground.

http://translate.goo...en-tsjerbakoel/

Edited by Abramelin

It almost certainly is coincidental that these two events occured on the same day. As there seems to be a fair amount of footage of this object then it should be possible to determine which direction it entered the Earth's atmosphere from and so it will be possible to know for sure whether there is any connection between this event and asteroid 2012 DA14.

Wow what a great post/story. I happened to have the TV news in the background and nearly fell off my chair doing a swivel to watch it.

The news says its not related to the one sailing by tonight, apparently it came from the other direction, had a quick surf to verify and found this

"Astronomer Phil Plait says a meteor which "exploded" over Russia is not related to the asteroid 2012 DA14 which is due to make a close fly-by of earth in the next few hours"

http://www.newsrooma...ory/347220.html

and

"The U.K. Space Agency and the European Space Agency each tweeted that the meteor is unrelated to 2012 DA14, which will pass Earth at an altitude of 17,150 miles later today. Though physically they may be unrelated, the two events certainly are coincidental

http://www.spacepoli...a14-nears-earth

Wonder if - when they examine the fragments... that they have any goodies inside, like ancient microbes or something, or do they only look inside certain types of meteor? Not my expertise Im afraid...

Edited by seeder

RT live news said it struck near a load of nuclear power plants

"Mayak nuclear plant -- one of the largest nuclear facilities of Rosatom -- is located in the area that was hit by the meteorite".

http://rt.com/on-air/

But imagine something like that hitting an over crowded place, like London for example? Damage and injuries x 10 maybe

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Live news also says there is a 'possibility' of MORE (fragments of the same) coming in... (but it is RT of course)

Edited by seeder

what does your gut tell you

My gut tells me that this big of an event happens, on average, about once a century. It's normal.

The fact that the last two major ones were in Russia.....does NOT seem normal. 105 years between Tunguska and this one.

• Like 1

My gut tells me that this big of an event happens, on average, about once a century. It's normal.

The fact that the last two major ones were in Russia.....does NOT seem normal. 105 years between Tunguska and this one.

In fairness, this is simply 'nowhere' near the scale of Tunguska, which was almost a nuclear blast in effect. There also must be simply hundreds yearly that just head into the sea, seeing as Earth is 3/4 water surface.

If you go to weather.com there are some really good pictures of the damage from this event. they(the pics) are on the home page.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 2

So I ask the same question again....did the professional sky watchers see this coming?

• Like 1

In fairness, this is simply 'nowhere' near the scale of Tunguska, which was almost a nuclear blast in effect. There also must be simply hundreds yearly that just head into the sea, seeing as Earth is 3/4 water surface.

Okay...let me word this another way.

The last two that have caused damage/injuries have both been in Russia. And I don't care how big the Tunguska one was....it didn't injure as many as have been reported for this one.

You don't find it even a little odd? I'm certain it's just coincidental. I'm not suggesting anything paranormal here. But you HAVE to admit that this isn't normal.

If you go to weather.com there are some really good pictures of the damage from this event. they(the pics) are on the home page.

sometimes its so simple to post your links

http://www.weather.com/news/meteor-hits-earth-20130215

:yes: