Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meteor Explodes over Russia. dozens injured..

Professor T

During the 70's the early warning was just a ballistic launch was made and generally where it was headed. Thats why we were in a cold war because there was a lot more fear and a lot less information as to what items being launched were. Nowadays its a lot easier for us to tell what they are doing and vice versa so that tension dropped immensely. Cold War was entirely built on fear of the unknown and few other things.

• Like 1

Wrong.

From the angle of approach you can deduce the orbit of the objects. As they approached from different directions they must have been in different orbits, If they are in different orbits they are not associated.

At the risk of being publically "Wronged" I'm going to challenge this assumption..

If the russian rock (2m) was on a long eliptical orbit that was turning back towards DA14 @ the time the Earth got in it's way then you would have a senaro where both objects were between the Earth and approaching from completely different angles.. Hense why I think it is quite possible for there to have been an orbital relationship between the two objects... (think of it like DA14 having captured the russian rock in an orbit that preceeds it. As a result, looking at the motion of travel of the russian rock you'd have a corkscrewing motion that moves back and forwards through space as it travels with DA14.

orbit-e-m-s.jpg

Where this theory falls apart imo, is that i think DA14 is far to small to hold an object in an eliptical orbit..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

Wrong.

From the angle of approach you can deduce the orbit of the objects. As they approached from different directions they must have been in different orbits, If they are in different orbits they are not associated.

But do we know the orbit of the objects, or was that just a wild guess?

maybe this is a bit of rock and the Russian one are from the same asteroid which is somewhere out there.

If bits come away from an asteroid way way out in space, then by the time they get pulled towards Earth, after a bit of floating around and considering the Earth rotates, then it does not mean they will land in the same place. just asking??????????????

Meteors can and do travel in swarms. That is the basis for meteor showers. The individual objects can be intercepted by Earth, at any point over its surface, for a number of consecutive days. Meteor swarms are typically caused by the break up comets, which can contain quite a bit of rock and mineral debris, in among the ice. The Russian and Cuban meteorites could be from such a swarm. If so, it would apparently be one which we haven't know of, up until now.
  • Like 1

But do we know the orbit of the objects, or was that just a wild guess?

Feb_2013_zps986bd4b2.jpg

This could explain why the meteorites came from a different direction.

• Like 1

The trajectory picture of the Russian meteor was much more T shaped then your drawing. But now that theres been 2 events (small) over the west coast US and the Cuban one (a bit bigger then small but smaller the Russia) one should speculate these events were related to the flyby.

Or we just got hit by one of the biggest coincidences ever. And just think if a chunk had hit DA14 altering its course....So yeah Ill go with the related to myself.

Meteors can and do travel in swarms. That is the basis for meteor showers. The individual objects can be intercepted by Earth, at any point over its surface, for a number of consecutive days. Meteor swarms are typically caused by the break up comets, which can contain quite a bit of rock and mineral debris, in among the ice. The Russian and Cuban meteorites could be from such a swarm. If so, it would apparently be one which we haven't know of, up until now.

Yes, they travel in swarms as they reach Earth. I was just wondering if they had broken away from the asteroid much further out, like Abramelins picture.

As i have been told they can not possibly be from DA14, there must be somewhere another asteroid or comet out there, it can`t be that far away for 2 bits of debris to have fallen here within such a short space of time...that really would be a major coincidence surely if they have nothing to do with each other?

i can understand not spotting the small bits of rocks, but have they not spotted the other asteroid these 2 came from either?

Yes, they travel in swarms as they reach Earth. I was just wondering if they had broken away from the asteroid much further out, like Abramelins picture.

As i have been told they can not possibly be from DA14, there must be somewhere another asteroid or comet out there, it can`t be that far away for 2 bits of debris to have fallen here within such a short space of time...that really would be a major coincidence surely if they have nothing to do with each other?

i can understand not spotting the small bits of rocks, but have they not spotted the other asteroid these 2 came from either?

The odds of two unrelated objects hitting on the same day are rare, but only rare in our timescales (if you see what I mean). Someone did do the calculations, working with the fact we get a large'ish hit every century, and smaller hits every so many years etc...then worked that with the 4.5 billion yrs the earth has been here, and they came back with a calculation of something like we ought to have been hit on the same day about 12,000 times already..

Edit - here's the article:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/16/opinion/urry-meteor-asteroid/

• Like 1

For all practical purposes what hit us could have been the entirety of the swarm except what missed us. No telling what the original rock size was.

so how many different fireballs were actually seen, i have heard of Russia, Cuba, Perth Australia, California, and possibly Utah. 5 hits and a grazeing miss in less than 24 hours. if they are all true....., well i don't believe in that much coincidence

Edited by mysticwerewolf

How do they account for the second explosion?

There was one in Oregon. Small. On the 1-5 at same time as Russias. It didnt it make it past the local news and wasnt photograped.

Probably unrelated but seismic activity has picked up significantly since the flyby. Especially around NZ.

Edited by AsteroidX

If the supposed meteor swarm is a relatively new one, the debris may be confined to a small part of an elongated orbit. This could be the first time Earth has encountered it. The cometary break-up that might have given rise to it could have happened some years ago. It may have happened at a great distance from Earth, and not even been observed. A mathematician very good at orbital dynamics might be able connect a new meteor swarm to a comet known to exist in the past, and no longer seen.
  • Like 2

How do they account for the second explosion?

What second explosion ? There was a serious series of sonic booms as it traveled the atmosphere that were delayed then perhaps an explosion when the Russian Meteor broke apart. I didnt catch any others.

The odds of two unrelated objects hitting on the same day are rare, but only rare in our timescales (if you see what I mean). Someone did do the calculations, working with the fact we get a large'ish hit every century, and smaller hits every so many years etc...then worked that with the 4.5 billion yrs the earth has been here, and they came back with a calculation of something like we ought to have been hit on the same day about 12,000 times already..

Edit - here's the article:

http://edition.cnn.c...eteor-asteroid/

Cool artical. But it doesn't really answer anything about the relationship, if any, of DA14 and the Chelyabinsk rock.. The artical is imo a blinding attempt to explain the unexplainable with a calulator... :lol:

If anything, the sheer mathematical improbability of these two events happening on the same day and not having any relationship whatsoever points to something of mystical or biblical event that says "Pay attention!" or "Watch the heavens"

• Like 1

I am hearing reports of a crater on some news channels and you tube is riddled with images of a crater but I am not sure if they are authentic - do we have confirmation of a ground strike on this one?

• Like 1

I am hearing reports of a crater on some news channels and you tube is riddled with images of a crater but I am not sure if they are authentic - do we have confirmation of a ground strike on this one?

Yep. & here's the footage..

There's stacks of fake footage and reports out there now.. It's really annoying..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWgkqv8H8cg&gl=US

• Like 1

Yep. & here's the footage..

There's stacks of fake footage and reports out there now.. It's really annoying..

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWgkqv8H8cg&gl=US[/media]

Thank you Professor T, that is the most common footage but as you say there is some really obviously fake footage out there - this is the one predominantly being shown by the News Channels.

Cool artical. But it doesn't really answer anything about the relationship, if any, of DA14 and the Chelyabinsk rock.. The artical is imo a blinding attempt to explain the unexplainable with a calulator... :lol:

If anything, the sheer mathematical improbability of these two events happening on the same day and not having any relationship whatsoever points to something of mystical or biblical event that says "Pay attention!" or "Watch the heavens"

Hmm, not really, I see it differently to you, since you could argue the opposite and use the mystical or biblical angle too, i.e given we are hit all the time, and given it's pretty busy up there, then you could call it a mathematical improbability that these same events wouldn't happen on the same day at some point. It isn't even that bigger deal anyway when you think about it, one small meteorite hit us, and a smallish asteroid that you needed binoculars to see anyway flew relatively close to us. If they had both hit, I could see why people see a connection, but they didn't, and there paths put them on different courses anyway.

• Like 1

If they had both hit, I could see why people see a connection, but they didn't, and there paths put them on different courses anyway.

I think it is also worth taking into account that, spectacular and dramatic as the Chelyabinsk event was, it was caused by an object that was small enough not to have been detected. Had it been a few hours earlier or later in arriving it would have missed the Earth altogether and may well have remained unnoticed. We would have been none the wiser to its existence and would not be talking about divine intervention or any other mysterious/paranormal occurrence.

Objects like this may only hit us about once a century on average, but they pass by us fairly regularly.

• Like 2

It isn't even that bigger deal anyway when you think about it, one small meteorite hit us, and a smallish asteroid that you needed binoculars to see anyway flew relatively close to us. If they had both hit, I could see why people see a connection, but they didn't, and there paths put them on different courses anyway.

In my opinion it was a big deal. Yes we have flyby's maybe twice a year, but none as close, nor as large. Also, none before as far as I am aware has co-insided with a Meteor stike that released 20 megaton of energy over a highly populated area causing over 1200 inguries, blowing out windows, demolishing doors/roofs.. This kind of event imo requires people to put down their calculators and go "Wow", and to simply see the event for what it truely is as a display of awesomemess from the heavens.. That is why I liken this event to something biblical, and something saying "pay attention" or "Watch the skies"

I'm not jumping to an omg God's throwing stones senario.. :lol: Mind you, but nothing say's "pay attention" more than what happened in the skies over the Urals yesterday.

I think it is also worth taking into account that, spectacular and dramatic as the Chelyabinsk event was, it was caused by an object that was small enough not to have been detected. Had it been a few hours earlier or later in arriving it would have missed the Earth altogether and may well have remained unnoticed. We would have been none the wiser to its existence and would not be talking about divine intervention or any other mysterious/paranormal occurrence.

Objects like this may only hit us about once a century on average, but they pass by us fairly regularly.

What I am saying is that no one has deffinititvely proven that there was no orbital relationship between DA14 and the Chelyabinsk rock. Yes the mathematical odds are "Astronomical" & Astronomical tends to be the par for governing all things floating around above our heads. I just don't think it can be rulled out that the rock that pummeled chelybinsk wasn't a direct result of DA14's close flyby.. *shrugs shoulders* If I'm missing a point I sure hope someone will enlighten me.

• Like 1

Here is a link to an article, including a video, about the meteorite in Cuba. The fall is described as occurring at 0100 GMT on Friday, a couple of hours before the Chelyabinsk meteorite. Other reports said the Cuban meteorite fell on Wednesday. It's unclear if one date or the other is incorrect, or if there could be reports about two different meteorites in Cuba, one on Wednesday, and one on Friday. link: http://www.mirror.co...uba-two-1712957

Now hold on just a cotton-pickin minute folks....

Click the link above again. Note that the pic of the Cuban vid is identical to the one I'm posting here, then....scroll down to the comments. One poster says the Mirrors story of the comet in Cuba was from 2006

And heres the exact same 2006 vid

[media=]

[/media]

hhmmmm.... so either there was a Cuban strike and they used OLD footage...or.... or....what exactly?

Edited by seeder

There was an event in Cuba. It was a meteor. Good luck getting more information then that in America from Cuba.

RSOE has it marked: http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

It would also appear one of the roofs collapsed at Chernobyl but it is a non issue. These events only stay on for a few hours unless you adjust the settings.

There was an event in Cuba. It was a meteor. Good luck getting more information then that in America from Cuba.

RSOE has it marked: http://hisz.rsoe.hu/...tmap/index2.php

It would also appear one of the roofs collapsed at Chernobyl but it is a non issue. These events only stay on for a few hours unless you adjust the settings.

Either way, the vid/pics used are the 2006 meteor. So its sensationalized pish-poor reporting. But it is the Mirror.

Anyone here speak Cuban and can do some local news searching for the 'actual' event? The news would have us believe we are being bombarded.....but then again it does sell papers

I assumed by reading there description off RSOE there was no video. They dont use dashcams like in the Euro. There still fond of there 50's an d 60's classics over there and they dont do well with mounted cameras. So yeah I agree that in no way is what happened yesterday there.

Its actually hardly made the news but the description is of alot of shaking houses and stuff.

Edited by AsteroidX