Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Glancing upward causes a shift?

J. K.

While I was eating at a restaurant today, I overheard two ladies talking, although I couldn't make out everything that was being said. (I wasn't trying to eavesdrop, honestly! :blush: )

One lady said a sentence that included the word "meditation", followed by: "I found that when you glance upward, it causes a shift. That's the only way I can think of to refer to it." She recommended that the other lady try it, then the conversation went somewhere else.

I didn't catch whether she said her eyes were open or closed, only that it happened within the context of meditation.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

I think I've heard it mentioned that a good way to 'shift' to seeing through your mind's eye, or '3rd eye', is to look slightly up with your eyes closed. I know really nothing about all of that, though.

Yes it does. Looking up while in meditation holds your awareness to a degree.

Also different areas of the brain respond to eye movements. Years ago I read a book on hypnosis and how to anchor thoughts and idea into people. One of the techniques was to get Somone to look up while you gave them a verbal que and it was supposed to anchor the que .

• Like 1

i find looking up holds my concetration while meditating, the only things you can move while meditating are eyes and lungs. so instead of the method of detachment of watching image's pass you by and not holding onto them i just keep concentration on my eyes up and then i am conscious when entering a dream like state.

• Like 1

Interesting answers! I will have to try this with my eyes during meditation. I noticed that people do this naturally when trying to think of something.

I also learned a method of eye movement called Eye Movement Desensitizing and Reprocessing (EMDR) that helps to reduce anxiety levels. Really good for people who have panic attacks.

• Like 2

I noticed that people do this naturally when trying to think of something.

Well, that's interesting. I never really thought about why we naturally do that when trying to get back stored information.

Interesting answers! I will have to try this with my eyes during meditation. I noticed that people do this naturally when trying to think of something.

I also learned a method of eye movement called Eye Movement Desensitizing and Reprocessing (EMDR) that helps to reduce anxiety levels. Really good for people who have panic attacks.

The odd thing about EMDR. Is that it can be done with tones, or even simple vibrations in the hands. The key seems to be the switching back and forth of attention.

Well, that's interesting. I never really thought about why we naturally do that when trying to get back stored information.

Yeah, sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right but usually up. Noticed we do it when annoyed too, ie, the eye roll... Lol

The odd thing about EMDR. Is that it can be done with tones, or even simple vibrations in the hands. The key seems to be the switching back and forth of attention.

That's what I think too. Divert attention from the source of anxiety by focusing on Something structured. There's other schools of thought on how it works but The Simpsons is on so, I have to go. :D ps kinda the same as tapping

I was taught to look upward when meditating.. Never new why but I kind of assume it had something to do with ensuring that whatever visions one gets come from a true source rather than a self indulgent though stream..

Kind of like telling if someone if telling truth over lies.. Truthers look up, liars look down..

I usually find that after a few minutes my closed eyes naturally look up slightly. I remember hearing or reading something that the upward position (or movement) with the eyes is also linked to alpha wave production in the brain. Anyone else know anything about that?

I think that when meditating it seems like your eye position tends to usually follow the level of conciousness. Notice if you start to feel drifty or sleepy your closed eyes will look down (subconscious level). When you are thinking, planning, distracted etc your eyes are usually centred or at a more straight ahead (concious) level, and when the mind lifts into that "higher" state of conciousness, so do your eyes.

Well two things here.

With your eyes closed if you look gently upwards you can more easily connect with your third eye, you'll notice it helps to get the "feeling", that rushing static feeling.

The second I had actually posted a couple years ago in another thread where if you are walking up a bridge and looking at the ground below the bridge. If you look up at say power lines or focus on something above yourself you'll feel a type of shift, you can even lose your balance if your equilibrium is off.