Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How will our future cities look?

ExpandMyMind

_65463947_flyingcar.jpg

Imagine a city of the future. Do you see clean streets, flying cars and robots doing all the work?

Or perhaps your vision is more dystopian, with a Big Brother-style authoritarian regime, dark alleys full of crime, and people forced to live in hermetically sealed pods because war or some other disaster has rendered whole swathes of the city unliveable.

No-one really knows what the future holds, but the reality now is that our urban spaces are overcrowded and polluted.

Almost half of the world's population currently lives in cities, and by 2050 that is projected to increase to 75%, but what kind of city will they be living in?

The time is ripe, say experts, to start designing smarter urban environments, both new cities needed to sustain an ever-growing population, and retro-fits on the ones that we have lived in for centuries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20770518

• Like 2

Given the state of the world today, it's hard for me to imagine even a single human alive on this planet by the turn of the next century.

I believe that, at the very least, humankind is facing its next "bottleneck" period, and I think that period will begin within the next 30 years. Those few who are left are going to have to find a way to live off the land, if that will even be possible.

This is why I'm in favor of designing something that is virtually indestructible and will last thousands of years that can store human and the planet's history on thousands of hard drives....so that if our species can continue, our past isn't lost on the future.

• Like 1

Given the state of the world today, it's hard for me to imagine even a single human alive on this planet by the turn of the next centur

Taking a giant asteroid out of the equation (like 2x the size of the dino killer), we'll still be here. Sure a few less of us will be here, but we'll still be alive and well. We're nothing if not adaptive. We didn't become the dominant large species by being stupid and meek, but by being the smarted/most creative/most ruthless. :) And when push comes to shove, enough of us will adapt quick enough to overcome whatever is thrown at us imho.

It's 100% possible. Just look at Dubai.