Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange 'slime' baffles at nature reserve

Still Waters

The jelly-like substance has been found at the RSPB Ham Wall Nature reserve in Somerset. As yet the mystery slime has not been identified.

Steve Hughes, the RSPB site manager at Ham Wall, said: "This past week we've been finding piles of this translucent jelly dotted around the reserve.

"Always on grass banks away from the water's edge. They are usually about 10cm (4in) in diameter. We've asked experts what it might be, but as yet no one is really sure. Whatever it is, it's very weird."

http://www.telegraph...re-reserve.html

This has happened before somewhere else hasn't it? I forgot what they said it was last time.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure that its some kind of water absorbing polymer.

Like this one-

youtube.com/watch?v=sqgq7dIeVsE

or

youtube.com/watch?v=U9rXaGaDweM

Liquid aliens...xD

Updated -

Strange 'slime' identified as unfertilised frogspawn

http://www.telegraph...-frogspawn.html

I swear that if you had some sort of alternative alternate alternative band you could finds some great names here: UNFERTILIZED FROGSPAWN Live! Tonight ONLY!!

• Like 3

ewww

I find it kind of odd that a nature preserve wouldn't know what unfertilized frogspawn looks like. I mean, they are supposed to know about what's going on in the preserve right?

• Like 2

p[people dump unwanted frogs all the time in strange and unusual places. Just look at the python problem in the Everglades. Perhaps they were introduced and not native.

I heard if you smear it on your face its good for your complexion. :yes:

• Like 2

I find it kind of odd that a nature preserve wouldn't know what unfertilized frogspawn looks like. I mean, they are supposed to know about what's going on in the preserve right?

I was actually thinking the same thing, I can only guess the reason is the Nature reserve where this was found was an RSPB reserve and although they are a charity working to secure a healthy environment for birds and all wildlife & the individuals they asked were just bird experts.

I have a great idea. Gather some Friends and setup a 24hour watch taking shifts. Make sure you have powerful flashlights available. When you catch whomever is dropping this crap to create a story, make them pick it all up.

Edited by atomk12

Hmm... now where have I heard that before.....not sure, but I'm sure my response was, eww.

• Like 1

This has happened before somewhere else hasn't it? I forgot what they said it was last time.

it has happened for centuries, literally. That kind of stuff is described by Charles Fort numerous times, and i can recall reading old german reports about "Sternenrotz" (star snot) that date back to the 18th century. (If anyone is interested i have to look it up again). Dunno what it actually is, either.

EDIT: i just found an e-book version of the book "Allgemeine Biologie" (common biology) by Paul Kammerer (published in 1915). He rules out frog eggs or any other animal source, claiming that it is a sort of fungus. So, i guess it's not so easy to say "definetly frog eggs"...

Edited by Jacques Terreur
  • Like 2

I heard quite the opposite. If you even touch it, you will feel like you've just been toed in the hole! (pain & nausea) :cry:

• Like 2

it has happened for centuries, literally. That kind of stuff is described by Charles Fort numerous times, and i can recall reading old german reports about "Sternenrotz" (star snot) that date back to the 18th century. (If anyone is interested i have to look it up again). Dunno what it actually is, either.

EDIT: i just found an e-book version of the book "Allgemeine Biologie" (common biology) by Paul Kammerer (published in 1915). He rules out frog eggs or any other animal source, claiming that it is a sort of fungus. So, i guess it's not so easy to say "definetly frog eggs"...

That's really intresting then. Thanks for the info, never knew there was reports thta far back either. :tu:

• Like 1

That's really intresting then. Thanks for the info, never knew there was reports thta far back either. :tu:

If you got some time on your hands, read "the book of the damned" by Charles H. Fort! you'll get to know more about raining fish or mysterious Jelly than you ever begged for! ;)
  • Like 2

I heard quite the opposite. If you even touch it, you will feel like you've just been toed in the hole! (pain & nausea) :cry:

Wha?! LMAO! Ok, with that advice, I'm sure to never touch anything similar!! But you're speaking of the ear or nose "hole" right? Cuz that would be painful and could cause nausea.

Edited by Lava_Lady
  • Like 1

If you got some time on your hands, read "the book of the damned" by Charles H. Fort! you'll get to know more about raining fish or mysterious Jelly than you ever begged for! ;)

I will defintily note that book down and check it out at some point, thanks. :tu:

• Like 2