Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do Colors Look The Same For All Of Us?

Still Waters

I know lots of artists and they can discern and mix colors exactly from what I'm told.

I know a talented graphic designer who is red-green colour blind and has to take great pains to make sure he hasn't screwed up the subtler shades like pastel greens and pinks, anything with subtler shades of red and green in them. Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 1

I think I see primary colors pretty close to what they are. After that I can see things are a different shade sometimes, but it's difficult to tell what color they lean towards. Like large oranges and small grapefruit side by side in the grocery store, I have to smell them to see which is which if they don't have a sign. I can see bright colors...I may not know exactly what they are, but I can see them. Needless to say, I've had some weird combinations of colors in my house over the years if I try and pick things out by myself. :D

Ok, well it doesn't sound that bad then. I thought everything was a green-brown-redish mess for you. :)

• Like 1

One of the most common mistakes a Vietnamese will make speaking English is something like, "We have to wait here at the red light until it turns blue."

This is because it takes a circumlocution to distinguish green and blue -- not that the Vietnamese don't see it but that the language does not require you make the distinction unless for some reason you want to.

I wonder if maybe blue/green colorblindness might have something to do with this characteristic of the language -- I have no knowledge that it is more or less common here -- or if there might be some other reason.

• Like 1

I have noticed the exact same phenomena in Japan, Frank Merton. I was always wondering why. Upon asked, they simply answered: "It's the same." But I also have to say that the japanese traffic-light-green has a blue tint; it is almost turquoise.

There is also a cocktail called "Chinese Blue" and it's green.

Edited by FLOMBIE
  • Like 1

Here is a few tests for those of you who think that they might be colour blind.

color-blindness-test-4.jpg

58 18

?? ??

139727,xcitefun-colour-test.jpg

25 29

45 56

?? 3/8 (not sure)

ishihara.png

12 5

3 3

29 15

I think languages have different boundaries for a given word, and they don't necessarily coincide with the boundaries of the equivalent word in another language.

This green/blue thing, though, has I think a little more than just that behind it, since its all over East Asia.

58 18

?? ??

25 29

45 56

?? 3/8 (not sure)

12 5

3 3

29 15

On the question-marks in this order I think it is: an L (or they want to have an E with two colour-combination).

Next is: 17

Next: 6

Next where you thought 3 or 8 is: 3

The last pic you saw wrong on the first in the second row, it should be 8

You might have some slight colour-blindness.

On the question-marks in this order I think it is: an L (or they want to have an E with two colour-combination).

Next is: 17

Next: 6

Next where you thought 3 or 8 is: 3

The last pic you saw wrong on the first in the second row, it should be 8

You might have some slight colour-blindness.

Seems clearly an E to me (but uses two colors).

The 3/8 is an 8 to me.

Seems clearly an E to me (but uses two colors).

The 3/8 is an 8 to me.

Oh boy, you are right.it's a green 8, I see it clearly but I wrote it wrong. Brainfart.

And the E or L, it is either or. Seems like a "trick-question" picture. It's an pink/red L or a pink/red/yellow E

Here is a few tests for those of you who think that they might be colour blind.

color-blindness-test-4.jpg

??...17?

139727,xcitefun-colour-test.jpg

Got em.

ishihara.png

I must not be too far off