Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

At Last! A computer that never crashes

seeder

Haha. Those days seem to be long gone. Just the odd instance every now and then unfortunately.

_

oh, I dunno, have you TRIED deep fried pizza??

and I hope the guy who invented square sausage died a multi-multi millionare, peacefully in bed, aged 185, surrounded by his fifteen kids, sixty grandkids, and his stunning 25yo wife, such is the regard I hold for a man of such genius!!

:-)

In fact, I highly doubt that it Will ever be possible with a binary system.

_

the way computers work at the moment, is by passing an electric charge between two different points, in a binary I/O gateway. however, with chip capacity doubling every 18mths or so by refining the manufacturing process to get twice as many connections into the same space, we're rapidly approaching the point were the distance of the gap will be smaller than the diameter of an electron, so something new, and more exotic, had better be on the horizon, or the computer industry is going to come griding to a halt!

_

oh, I dunno, have you TRIED deep fried pizza??

and I hope the guy who invented square sausage died a multi-multi millionare, peacefully in bed, aged 185, surrounded by his fifteen kids, sixty grandkids, and his stunning 25yo wife, such is the regard I hold for a man of such genius!!

Aye, I must admit, both of the creations you mention are awesome, especially square sausage (had some for breakfast). :D

• Like 1

_

the way computers work at the moment, is by passing an electric charge between two different points, in a binary I/O gateway. however, with chip capacity doubling every 18mths or so by refining the manufacturing process to get twice as many connections into the same space, we're rapidly approaching the point were the distance of the gap will be smaller than the diameter of an electron, so something new, and more exotic, had better be on the horizon, or the computer industry is going to come griding to a halt!

As far as I'm aware, the exponential growth of switches on a processor is expected to start slowing more rapidly (Moore's law used to be every year). There just isn't enough room anymore, as you state. I mean there had to be a limit.

If you look at the Wiki page for quantum computing you'll see that there have been a few cases over the past years where researchers, including IBM, have stated that they have almost demonstrated working quantum computers.

If and when that day comes it's goodnight to the world as we know it. Goodnight to online privacy. Today's standard encryptions Will be obsolete and easy to penetrate. Very few understand (and I include myself in this) just how powerful a quantum computer Will be.

To put it into perspective:

' According to IBM, a 250-qubit system "contains more bits of information than there are atoms in the universe." In contrast to a traditional bit, which can either have the value "0" or "1", a qubit can have "0", "1" and both values at the same time.'

http://m.tomshardware.com/news/ibm-quantum-qubit-super-Computers,14832.html

*gasp*

• Like 1

Aye, I must admit, both of the creations you mention are awesome, especially square sausage (had some for breakfast). :D

_

what's the true genius of the invention, is that it's so brilliantly simple! for hundreds, maybe thousands of years, we've been eating round sausage, and they're bloody awkward to make sandwiches out of, but some scots guy just took a look at one and said, 'y'know what, this breakfast buttie thing would be a helluva lot simpler if the sausages were flat!'

after hundreds of years of dodgy sarnies, such a stroke of genius for spotting such a simple and elegant solution that no-one else had spotted should be thoroughly commended!

(in my opinion, he's only beaten by the man who invented the snooze button.....)

Edited by shrooma

actually in the future there is no need for fast CPUs

just a fast internet access

everything else is in the CLOUD, your apps, your proggies, your data, your games ...

you just carry around something to get on the net.

holographic data disks ...

now that's the next frontier, no matter how great the CPU it is still dependent on source codes and bus or data transfer speeds,

opticals as good as light speed makes a CPU go a long way

Third eye, the cloud is just a network of servers, or computers. While your device might not need Today's processing power, the machines that hold the information and carry out the tasks would still need a massive amount of processing power.

I don't rate the Cloud highly at all. All of your information stored on another computer often in another country with different privacy laws? No thank you. Read up on how many requests Google has had in the US due to the Patriot Act regarding their Cloud storage. You are effectively allowing your data to be accessed by another government.

Not only this, but say the provider is successfully attacked and all their stored information (including backups) is destroyed? Not only goodnight to personal data, but entire businesses could be ended in a heartbeat by such an act.

Cloud storage = overrated in my opinion.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

Goodnight to online privacy. Today's standard encryptions Will be obsolete and easy to penetrate.

_

quantum encryption is thought to be the first practical application in quantum systems. banks, governments, and computer firms are pouring vast amounts of funding into quantum research.

quantum entanglement has been demonstrated dozens of times in various laboratories, but it's fiendishly complicated, and the equipment neccessary to achieve it is huge, requiring enormous magnetic field generators and massive super-cooling lasers, so we're quite a long way off a quantum laptop yet!

• Like 1

_

quantum encryption is thought to be the first practical application in quantum systems. banks, governments, and computer firms are pouring vast amounts of funding into quantum research.

quantum entanglement has been demonstrated dozens of times in various laboratories, but it's fiendishly complicated, and the equipment neccessary to achieve it is huge, requiring enormous magnetic field generators and massive super-cooling lasers, so we're quite a long way off a quantum laptop yet!

Aye but someone using a quantum computer to access data on a standard computer would be a doddle. It's no wonder banks and the like are pouring money into this research. Hopefully by the time quantum computers are used by anyone, data teleportation Will be more viable. Then there Will be no forseeable need for encryption, assuming it isn't limited to governments and militaries.

Hopefully by the time quantum computers are used by anyone, data teleportation Will be more viable.

_

but data teleportation itself would be fraught with difficulties.

_

scotty-

'....i tested it myself on admiral archer's prize beagle.'

kirk-

'hey, I know that dog, what happened to it?'

scotty-

'dunno. i'll let you know when it reappears....'

(and scotty was scottish!!)

I'm somewhat confused(even being a certified computer tech) with quantum computers, so perhaps someone here can help:

Is the thrust towards a quantum computer related to ultra-massive data storage, or mind-boggling computational power, or both?

I'm somewhat confused(even being a certified computer tech) with quantum computers, so perhaps someone here can help:

Is the thrust towards a quantum computer related to ultra-massive data storage, or mind-boggling computational power, or both?

Yeh Im with you and had to look it up myself! See these

http://www.howstuffworks.com/quantum-computer.htm

BUT...

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/the-frontline-blog/2240902/cambridge-boffins-cast-doubt-on-quantum-computing-future

• Like 1

_

both.

(if you have a rudimentary understanding of physics, this should be a doddle!)

the way normal computers work is by passing an electron between two points, inducing an either/or state. but there are only the two states to work from, which enormously limits the system.

quantum computers use a system of quantum entanglement, where clouds of atoms are all entangled so they behave as one, coherent unit.

however, affecting one atom in the cloud changes the state of every other atom in the cloud, meaning that instead of just two frames of reference, like a binary operating system, you have a potentially unlimited amount because quantumly, a cloud of atoms can exist in literally trillions of states all at the same time!

as soon as you know the state of one atom, it's counterpart will instantly, irrespective of distance (breaking classical physics' lightspeed/information threshold) will instantly coalesce into it's corresponding quantum counterpart, and bearing in mind that each atom can exist in trillions of different states/energy levels/spin-levels, it makes quantum computing essentially limitless.

and if I haven't explained it clearly enough to understand, would you please ask me again when i'm sober.

and not watching 'the blues brothers'.

• Like 2

Nothing new here - NASA's Deep Space probes have had similar systems for years. Image a probe sending a "crash" message to it's Earth based minders and waiting hours for the reply. Meanwhile it smacks into an alien space craft......

hehe...anyone remember Orac? The 'super computer' in Blakes 7?

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoHkaFDTiD8[/media]

_

sure do!

with his 'oh so expensive' clear & green perspex box, and his suspiciously K9-like voice, but what left more of an impression on me was my penchant for shaven-headed women!

curse you servalan for your shaven-headed, PVC clad federation ways!!

;-)

• Like 1

_

sure do!

with his 'oh so expensive' clear & green perspex box, and his suspiciously K9-like voice, but what left more of an impression on me was my penchant for shaven-headed women!

curse you servalan for your shaven-headed, PVC clad federation ways!!

;-)

haha :tu: yeh I had a teenage crush on her too... but if you look her up she was like that, sort of anyway, in real life! And to think Orac was the late 70's view of a future super computer! More cables than brains ...and yes...that futuristic perspex box...at least that came true

leds.jpg

• Like 1

haha :tu: yeh I had a teenage crush on her too... but if you look her up she was like that, sort of anyway, in real life! And to think Orac was the late 70's view of a future super computer! More cables than brains ...and yes...that futuristic perspex box...at least that came true

leds.jpg

_

i'd take a pic of my old hex-box crystal, but for some reason, UM won't let me add photo's to my posts. dunno why? maybe 'cause i'm an alien embryo, they don't trust me enough yet. which is pretty strange on a website that deals with unexplained phenomena.....

_

i'd take a pic of my old hex-box crystal, but for some reason, UM won't let me add photo's to my posts. dunno why? maybe 'cause i'm an alien embryo, they don't trust me enough yet. which is pretty strange on a website that deals with unexplained phenomena.....

You should be able to upload them to your posts, I did even when I was new... see the forums help maybe

I need this, my computer sucks

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 1

I don't see how the computer manufacturers are going to make much money selling a computer that fixes itself. As it is they design them to get progressively slower and slower and have more and more freezes. It is only third-party software that interferes with their plans at all, and then only partly.

Therefore I don't think such a thing will come to market, at least not from a public company.

Third eye, the cloud is just a network of servers, or computers. While your device might not need Today's processing power, the machines that hold the information and carry out the tasks would still need a massive amount of processing power.

I don't rate the Cloud highly at all. All of your information stored on another computer often in another country with different privacy laws? No thank you. Read up on how many requests Google has had in the US due to the Patriot Act regarding their Cloud storage. You are effectively allowing your data to be accessed by another government.

Not only this, but say the provider is successfully attacked and all their stored information (including backups) is destroyed? Not only goodnight to personal data, but entire businesses could be ended in a heartbeat by such an act.

Cloud storage = overrated in my opinion.

The tablets and Pads are already pouring out towards the new horizon, our opinions matters little, that's where the next profit sprouting sector is and that's where we're all gonna have to do our daily computer related activities in the future.

Actually from what I understand, processing power is gradually being phased under,

Not for higher speed and float points but rather multi CPUs on the cores and grid, it's just a another way of using software codes.

Your concerns about Cloud is not new, but as I say, what we think matters little, they are still working on it, they are patching things up and making things happen along the way.

In a cloud computing system, there's a significant workload shift. Local computers no longer have to do all the heavy lifting when it comes to running applications. The network of computers that make up the cloud handles them instead. Hardware and software demands on the user's side decrease. The only thing the user's computer needs to be able to run is the cloud computing system's interface software, which can be as simple as a Web browser, and the cloud's network takes care of the rest.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cloud-computing/cloud-computing.htm

• Like 1