Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cosmos may be 'inherently unstable' [merged]

Waspie_Dwarf

Cosmos may be 'inherently unstable'

Scientists say they may be able to determine the eventual fate of the cosmos as they probe the properties of the Higgs boson.

A concept known as vacuum instability could result, billions of years from now, in a new universe opening up in the present one and replacing it.

It all depends on some precise numbers related to the Higgs that researchers are currently trying to pin down.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Well we will just have to wait and see -- three or so billion years was it? I will set my stop-watch.

• Like 1

Well we will just have to wait and see -- three or so billion years was it? I will set my stop-watch.

Where do you buy your batteries?

• Like 2

Would this mean the universe is self-replicating? In that it's been going about this process for...however long?

stable environments don't change, the cosmos does... so, duh!

It appears, checking this out further, the we are balanced like on tip of a pencil, and just a small breeze is all that is needed to tip us into the stable state of the existence -- which is nothingness -- no time, no space, no nothing.

It appears, checking this out further, the we are balanced like on tip of a pencil, and just a small breeze is all that is needed to tip us into the stable state of the existence -- which is nothingness -- no time, no space, no nothing.

I would not quite say that, but yes, you can destablilize the whole system...given a few fantastrillion gigawatts of energy :innocent: .

Stable systems don't create new situations, therefore no evolution, no creation, no change except in two stages and their intermediaries. But how did Asimov express it so nicely: Finished products are for decadent minds.

If true, I think this is good news in that it may explain the circumstances before the Big Bang. The idea that our universe just expands until space is empty of anything useful to anyone is depressing. I like the idea of a renewing universe better.